2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Swing Plane Perfector Training Aid

newyorker

After years of battling an excessive wrist roll and inside takeaway on the backswing, leading to a flat backswing, I've been looking at various training aids to assist me on my quest to resolve the issue.

There is one particular training aid that appears to stand out for me - The Swing Plane Perfector (invented by Rory's coach Michael Bannon). http://www.swingplaneperfector.com/

One of the many uses of the SPP is the ability to set it at the exact shaft angle at address (matching whichever club you are using at the time). From there I figured I could adopt the "hands inside past the right thigh, clubhead outside the hands" takeaway thus avoiding the alignment stick protruding from the SPP and leading me to a more upright backswing position.

I know an alignment stick in the ground will yield the same results but I like the idea of the ease of adjustment of the angle of the SPP to match whichever club you are working with. Also, the SPP can be used with a driving range mat.

Just wondering what anyone's thoughts were on the SPP, and whether I could use some other training aid to correct my crappy takeaway!

Cheers in advance

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built an adjustable one a while back specifically to use when we practice indoors (dang, should have marketed it!). Here's a video I posted a while back of my training aids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwYoHiclXs

Note the one right in the middle with the yellow stick pointing out of it.

Costs about $5 to make.

I'm about to order one as my coach recommended it. I like to take my time with these things so have looked at all the reviews. I found a YouTube review from Rick Shiels really helpful and also looked at Hackers Paradise and The Sand Trap. Cant find anything bad about it (other than its a bit expensive. My coach told me to look at their Twitter feed as it has lots of coaches posting various ways in which they use - even for my excessive head movement. Never found the inclination for Twitter but hey ho needs must.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1411041789' post='10138985']
I built an adjustable one a while back specifically to use when we practice indoors (dang, should have marketed it!). Here's a video I posted a while back of my training aids:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwYoHiclXs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=9lwYoHiclXs[/url]

Costs about $5 to make.
[/quote]

Dang, Larry......when do you find time to play? Had to chuckle and remember "Tin Cup". Just ribbing you, I am just as bad with far too much time on my hands. Very innovative in your home made designs. With my golf cage just outside the sliding door to my bedroom, I have been known to pop outside just to try some new move or tip seen online, even at midnight in my jockey shorts and bare footed!

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

[quote name='newyorker' timestamp='1411040793' post='10138919']
After years of battling an excessive wrist roll and inside takeaway on the backswing, leading to a flat backswing, I've been looking at various training aids to assist me on my quest to resolve the issue.

There is one particular training aid that appears to stand out for me - The Swing Plane Perfector (invented by Rory's coach Michael Bannon). [url="http://www.swingplaneperfector.com/"]http://www.swingplaneperfector.com/[/url]

One of the many uses of the SPP is the ability to set it at the exact shaft angle at address (matching whichever club you are using at the time). From there I figured I could adopt the "hands inside past the right thigh, clubhead outside the hands" takeaway thus avoiding the alignment stick protruding from the SPP and leading me to a more upright backswing position.

I know an alignment stick in the ground will yield the same results but I like the idea of the ease of adjustment of the angle of the SPP to match whichever club you are working with. Also, the SPP can be used with a driving range mat.

Just wondering what anyone's thoughts were on the SPP, and whether I could use some other training aid to correct my crappy takeaway!

Cheers in advance
[/quote]

Have you followed C Martin's You Tube? He demonstrates a few ways to use alignment rods and other aids.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwYoHiclXs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=9lwYoHiclXs[/url]

Costs about $5 to make.
[/quote]
You are another MacGyver
My guess is that the cost to make their swing plane device is not significantly more than your cost yet they sell it for $189

accuracy vs necessity. Not doubting the value, but not something I would pay when a stick in the ground does the same (as OP already noted). Plus, once its in the ground, and that place is more or less permanent, you do not have to worry about consistent placement, OTOH if you are mobile, then yes, I can see the benefit.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Sticks can't be used on a mat. When hitting off grass the stick would have to be moved regularly. Having the angle fixed and moving the entire unit offers consistency and it can be used off mats and indoors. Only place you can hit the ball from the same spot every time is a mat. Larrybud made a great alternative that will certainly work. This is light and can fit in a golf bag easily. The 2x4 Larry used not as much. Again depends on your needs whether you think it has value.

But to say it cost $5 to make is beyond ignorant. It is machined from a solid block of aluminum. An 8ft long piece of 8"x8" square stock of 6061 aluminum cost over $3,000. 1ft of same stock is $500+. Machining metal takes time and the actual materials are far from cheap.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1411229146' post='10152927']
It cost a lot more to make than $5. Machined aluminum that is accurate within degrees and the other little parts which have fairly tight tolerances aren't cheap to manufacture. Hell I bet the three rods alone (much thicker and denser than "alignment sticks") cost close to $5.
[/quote]
You have no idea what you are talking about.I am involved with a company which makes electronic items which have much tighter tolerances than this simple golf device.We manufacture them on 3 d printers at almost zero marginal cost
Buying the rods in bulk is much cheaper than you imply.

I'm clueless yet you think you could 3D print aluminum and the other little parts for $5 per entire unit. The options would be owning a 3D printer capable of printing aluminum, not cheap at all. Or pay someone else to do it and it'll cost a lot more than $5.

Btw parts of it are def 100% machined as I can see the mill/tooling marks

FWIW I have 20 years manufacturing and design experience in the field of aerospace engineering and the SPP is a very precise, well made piece of kit. As others have commented, there is a lot of accurate machining required within of the items used to make up the overall training aid. As regards cost, it does APPEAR expensive, but the materials and manufacturing used to manufacture it probably eat into the profits quite a lot.

Yes, a driveway alignment marker stuck into the grass will do the job, albeit not as accurately. Also, the SPP can be used at the range off mats, which for me is a big bonus as I spend quite a bit of my limited practice time there.

certainly not something worth arguing about. Value is subjective. If anyone finds an item that provides the benefit they are seeking and they are okay with the price, then that is the value of the benefit to them. Having a precise angle is nice, it is consistent wherever you place it, but the swing model you are attempting to emulate is probably no where near as precise or consistent and you would not even be aware of it unless you made contact or had a video with capability of precise measurement. Then there is the question of whether or not you can take the result(s) to the course.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1411233895' post='10153187']
certainly not something worth arguing about. Value is subjective. If anyone finds an item that provides the benefit they are seeking and they are okay with the price, then that is the value of the benefit to them. Having a precise angle is nice, it is consistent wherever you place it, but the swing model you are attempting to emulate is probably no where near as precise or consistent and you would not even be aware of it unless you made contact or had a video with capability of precise measurement. Then there is the question of whether or not you can take the result(s) to the course.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on 100%

ha ha...also points out that there is a definite coorelation to a subscriber's age and propensity towards senseless arguments. I ought to know as I am guilty of that often as the crotchety old reprobate that I am.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1411230439' post='10153007']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1411229146' post='10152927']
It cost a lot more to make than $5. Machined aluminum that is accurate within degrees and the other little parts which have fairly tight tolerances aren't cheap to manufacture. Hell I bet the three rods alone (much thicker and denser than "alignment sticks") cost close to $5.
[/quote]
You have no idea what you are talking about.I am involved with a company which makes electronic items which have much tighter tolerances than this simple golf device.We manufacture them on 3 d printers at almost zero marginal cost
Buying the rods in bulk is much cheaper than you imply.
[/quote]

Russc I thought you were a teaching pro?

To the OP, I see you are in Manchester. Dan Whittaker, who is obviously very local to you in Altincham, recommends this device and I think it's one of the few training aids he has actually paid money for, rather than manufactured himself. I'd say that was a fairly good endorsement. Whether it's well made or not, I can see the price putting a lot of people off however.

[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1411236021' post='10153297']

To the OP, I see you are in Manchester. Dan Whittaker, who is obviously very local to you in Altincham, recommends this device and I think it's one of the few training aids he has actually paid money for, rather than manufactured himself. I'd say that was a fairly good endorsement. Whether it's well made or not, I can see the price putting a lot of people off however.
[/quote]

Yes I've asked Dan his opinion on this and he's of the opinion that it could help my backswing issue.

[quote name='newyorker' timestamp='1411236730' post='10153343']
[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1411236021' post='10153297']
[/quote]

Yes I've asked Dan his opinion on this and he's of the opinion that it could help my backswing issue.
[/quote]

Yes likewise. Like I say, it's definitely a great tool. If you're still undecided in the short term, I also found a lot of repetitions in front of a mirror was helpful too.

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1411225740' post='10152729']

Costs about $5 to make.
[/quote]

Dang, Larry......when do you find time to play? Had to chuckle and remember "Tin Cup". Just ribbing you, I am just as bad with far too much time on my hands. Very innovative in your home made designs. With my golf cage just outside the sliding door to my bedroom, I have been known to pop outside just to try some new move or tip seen online, even at midnight in my jockey shorts and bare footed!
[/quote]

Took maybe 45 minutes to make. My winter hobby is woodworking. All the tools are already set up and ready to go, plus I already had all the hardware. :-)

[url="http://lumberjocks.com/rareddy/projects"]http://lumberjocks.c...areddy/projects[/url]

I'm not sure what accuracy you need in a device like this, unless you absolute want to set up at a specific angle every time. For me, I just want to hold a stick when hitting indoors. Certainly with machined aluminum it costs more than $5.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1411304691' post='10156589']
[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1411225740' post='10152729']

Costs about $5 to make.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Took maybe 45 minutes to make. My winter hobby is woodworking. All the tools are already set up and ready to go, plus I already had all the hardware. :-)

[url="http://lumberjocks.com/rareddy/projects"]http://lumberjocks.c...areddy/projects[/url]

I'm not sure what accuracy you need in a device like this, unless you absolute want to set up at a specific angle every time. For me, I just want to hold a stick when hitting indoors. Certainly with machined aluminum it costs more than $5.
[/quote]

Impressive work.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!