2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura tournament blade spins like crazy???

Brad707

Just got a set of miura TB's, brought them out on the course and they spin way too much. I have lost about 2 full clubs in carry distance and about another half club when you account for how much they spin back. Previous irons were titleist 690.mb's with c tapers. Put the c tapers in the miuras and still spin way too much. They are spinning worse than my vokey sm5 wedges that are still like new. I really don't want to sell them and go back to the 690's, but the spin is uncontrollable. Has anyone else had tis experience with these clubs when they are new? One other thing I should add is that I play pro v x's. My buddy threw me a hard ball to hit and it caused my launch, spin, and distance to go back to normal. I'm confused...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to hear this. I have a mixed CB/Blade left handed Miura set and the 8-P are blades. My distances are extremely consistent and match any other iron (assuming lofts are the same) that I have tried. I hit my 8 iron 160 yards, and that is the same with my cavity back Epon AF302 irons, and the previous TMAG Burner 2.0 irons I had before that. I am curious as to what could cause this iron to play so differently for you.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 13.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

+1 and 690 MB's, to Miura blades... if you're losing distance due to "spin", its not Miura blades. That clubs specs are similar to the irons in my bag and my MacGregor 1025MB's, and I play ProV1x.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I just don't get it. It's like every club has illegal square spin milled vokey grooves in every club. The ball comes off extremely low and spins an absurd amount.I'm a +1 and have a very good idea of how the ball should react. This guy I play with let me hit his TB's before I bought a set and I picked up a half club over my 690's without all the launch and spin problems. I liked the look and feel a lot better than my irons, so I went and bought a like new set from a guy off ebay. He told me they were made last year and have usga conforming grooves. I don't understand why my buddy's miura TB 8 iron carries 165 then spin back a foot or two at most while mine carries 145 then spins back 20+ feet on the same hole, same green and some conditions. I know this sounds crazy but it is true

Maybe they are counterfeit. That would explain this.

LEFT HANDED

$1020. 2 iron through wedge. The seller listed them as miura irons so they came up as "items related" at the bottom of the page when I was searching for "miura tournament blades". I figured he didn't list them right and I might get them cheap because not many people would see them. Lesson learned. I'm probably gonna go get fit by David Butler in Half Moon Bay. Unless anybody know someone who might be better that is close to San Francisco(3 hour drive south of me). Thanks for the replies

I have never seen a TB in person, but all looks legit except only thing I see different from my baby blades is the transition into the heel looks kinda sharp, and I believe my baby blades have a smoother transition. That could be a model difference, the camera flash creating a harsh line, or a lack of attention in a counterfeit?

What the heck are those clubs sitting on?

I doubt very much that legit miura's would feel the same across the whole face, as I have read every miura thread on here and thats just not the case.

If they are legit... I don't know.

What I would do, is search this forum for "miura" and send a PM to a few of the more knowledgeable miura owners as this forum moves slowly

-D

They should also have "genuine" stamped on the hosel. Can you send a picture of this?

I have never had anyone say that a blade felt the same hitting the sweet spot, or heel or toe. Miura's feel completely different when hit in either of these spots, and it is very easy to tell. The pictures you sent look pretty good, but something just doesn't add up. Also, there is no way you could get a new set of these from 2 iron through all the wedges for that price. At minimum, 11 clubs would cost upwards of $2000.

LEFT HANDED

Again, my experience is with the 1957 blades, but they distinctly feel like you would expect.. Even feedback close to the sweetspot (which is more toward the heel than center on mine) go ok but don't feel the same. Definitely should say genuine on hosel, but that is easy enough to fake I would think. Were they new at that price? I got mine used for $1150 4-pw which was a good deal, but sellers reserve was not met and he was kinda not thrilled but put them up as a buy it now for that and emailed me to give me first crack since I was high bidder.

I was under the impression clubs like miura are less faked due to less popularity and difficulty to reproduce. I heard the major oems are Moreso because Chinese factories have the dies floating around already. Usually it is the font that is off a little. I also read an article and they make PHENOMONAL fakes so you wouldn't know other than the performance is way off, like on drivers specifically. I have hit a lot of blades, and the feel/feedback on Miuras is pretty awesome and even though I have only hit these and passing points, I would think the tight grained forging would be hard to reproduce. Sounds like feel is also part of the equation as well as performance and that could be an indicator, but man they look the part. I have a set of Taylor made tp blades that are nostalgic, I think they may be cast, and boy if my Miuras felt like those I would know something was up. I think forging(pun intended) feel is impossible as opposed to looks...

I just remembered, there is a website for a Chinese company slinging knockoff miura stuff real cheap and it looks the same, but a lot of times they use photos of the real McCoy and ship different. Good luck with this, and don't let it sour you on miura, they are not magic, but they are uniquely special and it sucks that is not your experience here.

Those are not the conforming groove model, maybe that's why they are spinning like illegal grooves. They should have the initials "SL" in a small circle on the back of each iron. Should be able to return them on the grounds of "item not as described" or something like that

Callaway Rogue SZ Fuji Pro Tour Spec 75
Callaway XR with Fubuki J
Titleist 712U - Steelfiber i110
Callaway Apex MB - Steelfiber i110
Callaway MD5 54, 58, 62 Modus 120
Odyssesy White Hot #8

Well, to get to the bottom of this, I called and made an appointment with an authorized miura dealer. He is going to check the clubs out and said he has ways of telling if they are fake or legit. I'm most likely gonna get fit for a different set and try to get my money back from the ebay purchase. Friday, I'll let you guys know what the verdict is. Thanks for all the replies

I highly doubt they are fake. They look legitimate to me. Plus, why would you think the are fake? You said you have a buddy you play with that have the same set. All you need to do is compare with his. I don't think anyone has ever seen a Miura fake in real life and if they did, they wouldn't look anywhere close to the real thing.

[quote name='slickca21' timestamp='1414294460' post='10351585']
I highly doubt they are fake. They look legitimate to me. Plus, why would you think the are fake? You said you have a buddy you play with that have the same set. All you need to do is compare with his. I don't think anyone has ever seen a Miura fake in real life and if they did, they wouldn't look anywhere close to the real thing.
[/quote] saw a few set of counterfeit Miura and Epon in China at a few courses. They look very close to the real clubs except for the finished cosmetic quality. The stampings were a little off in fonts, the U in the pics shown seems a bit odd.