RECAP: Big Bertha Alpha 815 chat with Callaway Golf

HipCheck

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='fairwaychaser' timestamp='1415432698' post='10414759']
My question is, what's the difference from the new double black diamond and the big bertha alpha? I'm currently gaming a razr fit extreme 8.5° with a graphite design AD DI 6.i love the driver itself. As far as feel and performance and look goes, I demoed my buddies alpha and like how smooth it felt as well as how much little effort it took to get decent distance out of it (270 yards).i have always been a Callaway guy ever since high school (I still have my big bertha red series irons and driver), your clubs are in my opinion 1 of the top 3 on the market.if I can manage to save enough money I will definitely be buying the new double black diamond driver for sure! Thanks for your time and the amazing equipment you design!
[/quote]

The DBD is lower spinning than the original Alpha but also more forgiving, particularly on shots hit high and low on the face. In addition, the DBD features a slightly taller Gravity Core for a greater spin differential, a new tour-inspired head shape and a more open face angle. -EG

More of a statement than a question. With the ever increasing degree of adjustability in golf clubs, us golfers have more options than ever. While we have a greater chance of finding a weight/distribution, shaft, and loft that works for us, the process of getting to that point can be a tedious one. For myself, I live in a climate where I get a limited chance to actually get out and play. That being said, there isn't a lot of options to get fit for equipment since the market for it is relatively small. I see some OEM's giving multiple shaft options to give us an even better chance of being optimized with paying retail prices for a driver. While it is nice having the options, it can be lost on some. A certain OEM has made it their business to lead in iron fitting. They make a concerted effort to make sure the retailers that sell their product are equipped to get the customer in the best specs possible for them. While not a full fledged fitting for most, it is better than nothing.

Time for the question. Is there any plan from Callaway to put more emphasis on fitting to better position themselves? We already have the options. They can keep tweaking drivers weight distribution to get the best performing head, but unless they are putting golfers in the best combo for them, they may just blend in with every other OEM, or end up with golfers disliking the product because it doesn't perform at its best (like the SLDR was for some). I'd personally like to be able to go to the golf shop, get put in a hitting bay and have an employee who has been trained to fit me with Callaway's equipment get me in the best club possible. In my opinion, if golfers had more direction from one OEM vs. another, they'd be more inclined to make the purchase.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to come talk with us!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

[quote name='pdaero' timestamp='1415490783' post='10417395']
Tell me about the R Moto face technology. How does this affect playability and relate to ball speed for forgiveness? Thanks so much - the 815 Alpha and DBD look like incredible clubs and can't wait to try them.
[/quote]

The RMOTO face technology features a serious of ribs along the crown and sole face boundary that are optimized with our Hyper Speed Face to reduce weight and improve the energy transfer at impact. This provides added discretionary mass to help increase the club’s MOI and reposition the center of gravity while also giving higher average ball speeds - both critical parts of gaining distance. - EG

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1415498080' post='10417963'] How much pressure was there when you brought back the Big Bertha name? Was it named before it went into development or after you developed it? [/quote]

The Bertha name has always been synonymous with innovation and technology so we knew we needed the right product to bring back the name. Admittedly, we brought it back a little sooner than we had planned but only because of the groundbreaking technologies that we were introducing. It felt like the right time and we believe the products are worthy of carrying that name.

[quote name='TNTlefty' timestamp='1415455130' post='10415273'] How do marketing and product strategies vary to account for differences in global consumer preferences? Thanks for taking questions on WRX! [/quote]

One way we do this is by creating products specific to local markets. For example, the Big Bertha Beta and Odyssey Milled Collection putters which are specific to the Japanese market.

We also tailor our marketing strategies. In Japan, the pronunciation of "815" roughly translates to "Strawberry Bee". So they use a strawberry bee as a logo for the Alpha 815. It's pretty cool but obviously wouldn't work in the U.S. !

--Dave Neville (@DavidWNeville)

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1415497945' post='10417949']
Do you think we have entered the era where players have too little spin?
[/quote]

The majority of golfers can still gain in total distance by using a lower center of gravity to help reduce their spin rates. But while a lower center of gravity is often asserted as the only CG position in a a driver that makes sense, our testing shows there are some benefits to a slightly higher center of gravity for some golfers. These benefits include more control, more consistency, and even more distance (particularly carry distance). Furthermore, while a low CG might create more distance when hit in the center of the face, it can often produce poor trajectories (lower ball speed and not enough spin) on shots hit high on face for some players if they don't have enough head speed or the club doesn’t have enough inertia. Ultimately, we believe that vertical CG optimization is a valuable part of the fitting process and what helps make our Alpha products the most comprehensive fitting platform in the market. - EG

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1415812585' post='10435023']
[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1415497945' post='10417949']
Do you think we have entered the era where players have too little spin?
[/quote]

The majority of golfers can still gain in total distance by using a lower center of gravity to help reduce their spin rates. But while a lower center of gravity is often asserted as the only CG position in a a driver that makes sense, our testing shows there are some benefits to a slightly higher center of gravity for some golfers. These benefits include more control, more consistency, and even more distance (particularly carry distance). Furthermore, while a low CG might create more distance when hit in the center of the face, it can often produce poor trajectories (lower ball speed and not enough spin) on shots hit high on face for some players if they don't have enough head speed or the club doesn’t have enough inertia. Ultimately, we believe that vertical CG optimization is a valuable part of the fitting process and what helps make our Alpha products the most comprehensive fitting platform in the market. - EG
[/quote]

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1415812285' post='10434971']
More of a statement than a question. With the ever increasing degree of adjustability in golf clubs, us golfers have more options than ever. While we have a greater chance of finding a weight/distribution, shaft, and loft that works for us, the process of getting to that point can be a tedious one. For myself, I live in a climate where I get a limited chance to actually get out and play. That being said, there isn't a lot of options to get fit for equipment since the market for it is relatively small. I see some OEM's giving multiple shaft options to give us an even better chance of being optimized with paying retail prices for a driver. While it is nice having the options, it can be lost on some. A certain OEM has made it their business to lead in iron fitting. They make a concerted effort to make sure the retailers that sell their product are equipped to get the customer in the best specs possible for them. While not a full fledged fitting for most, it is better than nothing.

Time for the question. Is there any plan from Callaway to put more emphasis on fitting to better position themselves? We already have the options. They can keep tweaking drivers weight distribution to get the best performing head, but unless they are putting golfers in the best combo for them, they may just blend in with every other OEM, or end up with golfers disliking the product because it doesn't perform at its best (like the SLDR was for some). I'd personally like to be able to go to the golf shop, get put in a hitting bay and have an employee who has been trained to fit me with Callaway's equipment get me in the best club possible. In my opinion, if golfers had more direction from one OEM vs. another, they'd be more inclined to make the purchase.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to come talk with us!
[/quote]

Thanks for the question and comment. Fitting is a major initiative we are very focused on and believe it is very important for golfers to get the best equipment. We continue to evolve and improve the tools we offer for fitting tools. Additionally, we are also putting significantly more resources behind training tools for fitters and our customers in general. Further, we are offering selector tools on our website as well across all product categories to help golfers get a better understanding of where to start the process.

Jason Finley - @jasonfinleyCG

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1415728222' post='10429843'] [size=5][color=#282828]Would a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 or Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond driver with the stock shaft make me look fat? [/color][/size] [/quote]

I'll take this one. --Harry Arnett (@HarryArnettCG)

[url="http://youtu.be/i0zfW8y9zZA"]http://youtu.be/i0zfW8y9zZA[/url]

[quote name='zukszoo' timestamp='1415480237' post='10416661']
I have read that moving the CG closer to the face, while lowering spin, will decrease the MOI. What is Callaway doing with the Bertha's to keep the MOI up and still achieve a low spin/high launch combo?

Thank you for this opportunity to pick your brains.
[/quote]

To achieve a very low center of gravity, mass is often positioned low and forward in the club head. While this is a very effective way of lowering the CG, it is also very ineffective for MOI. By using highly engineered multi-materials and a new face technology like RMOTO, we are able to provide both a low center of gravity and higher MOI. This allows golfers to benefit from the distances gained from reduced spin while also maintaining forgiveness and consistency on off center impacts, which is a powerful combination. -EG

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1415812747' post='10435045']
[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1415728222' post='10429843'] [size=5][color=#282828]Would a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 or Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond driver with the stock shaft make me look fat? [/color][/size] [/quote]

[/quote]

HAHAHAHA

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

[quote name='double or triple?' timestamp='1415579321' post='10421583']
Question for Mr Manwaring, if you had to choose just one, what is the single most important aspect in an iron that drives the direction of the irons Callaway produces knowing that pros are paid to play Callaway product and most amateurs can swing like them ? Forgiveness, workability, asthetics?
[/quote]

We try not to over segment the market but do recognize that pros will gravitate towards Apex Muscleback, Apex Pro and other irons design specifically to take advantage of their ability and desire to hunt the pin. The remaining players transition between hunting the pin and aiming for the center of the green. Distance plays a huge role and if we can design an iron that allows players to a higher lofted club into the green versus last year, we are going to bring it to market. -SM

[quote name='gprubes' timestamp='1415496100' post='10417759'] First things first, thanks for your time. My question is: How do the other companies offerings influence not only what products you guys are putting out to consumers, but also how often you are putting out products?? Thanks again!! [/quote]

[size="2"][color="black"][size=4]We obviously pay close attention but we try not to be reactive. We are on our own schedule which is based on consumer feedback, demand and the R&D process. We are committed to be disciplined with product inventory; we aren’t going to flood the market with supply. [/size][/color][/size]

- Dave Neville (@DavidWNeville)

[quote name='BB815' timestamp='1415812440' post='10434997']
Should I expect to need more loft with this line than previous Callaway drivers due to lower spin?
[/quote]

Generally the recommendation would be to start with the same loft in [b]our[/b] previous models and utilize the adjustability tools with the adjustable hosel and the Gravity Core to dial in to your ideal trajectory.

Jason Finley - @jasonfinleycg

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1415812747' post='10435045']

[/quote]

I was sure you were going to tell him it depends on the gravity core position.

[quote name='Genehoman' timestamp='1415750347' post='10431615'] Would you describe the differences between the X2 Hot "regular", Pro, and Deep. Are the heads different? How do the shafts differ? Thank you. Gene [/quote]

These models differ by shape, trajectory, and configuration. The standard model is designed for higher launch with more draw bias while the pro model has a lower spinning, more neutral ball flight. Both are extremely versatile from the tee, fairway, or rough. The Deep model puts more emphasis on performance off the tee and has a similar low spinning, neutral trajectory as the Pro. The shafts generally differ by weight and stiffness (flex, torque, etc). -EG

[quote name='dccbryan' timestamp='1415620375' post='10423069']
What's next in the utility iron category? The X Utility prototype series was very good.
dccbryan
[/quote]

We currently released the Apex UT iron. We’ve had some very positive feedback from our tour pros regarding this iron. SM

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1415812999' post='10435099'] TaylorMade's low spin driver head (SLDR) generally requires players to select a higher loft to obtain proper trajectory. Is this also the case with the new Callaway drivers? [/quote]

We recommend starting with the stated loft that you are currently using and then use the Optifit hosel and gravity core to fine tune your trajectory from there. -EG

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1415465978' post='10415929']
The last Big Bertha had a rear mounted sliding weight for a higher MOI and a wider range of fade or draw bias options as opposed to the Alpha that utilized a toe and heel weight port. Of the two it seems that the sliding weight feature was a better option to dial in a desired ball flight. Was the rear sliding weight a possibility in the design for the new Big Bertha 815 line and why did you ultimately go with the heel and toe weight ports over the sliding weight option?
[/quote]

The Adjustable Perimeter Weighting system featured in the Big Bertha driver offered golfers great control over their shot shape as well as increased MOI. However, for Alpha 815, having interchangeable heel and toe weights was a more mass efficient way of giving the golfer control over their shot shape while keeping the center of gravity very low and providing the added adjustability of the Gravity Core. -EG