RECAP: Big Bertha Alpha 815 chat with Callaway Golf

HipCheck

So, I know you mentioned that the DBD is lower spin, yet more forgiving than the original Alpha. Is there any way that we could understand quantitatively how much more forgiving it is? Also, in comparison to the 815 and Big Bertha, I'm assuming the DBD is closer to the original Big Bertha, yet not nearly as forgiving as the 815. Is there any way to get some type of data to understand by how much?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we ever go so low of a spin that companies will tout a negative spin?? ;)

But seriously.... I realize companies need to keep changing the product cycle, some change more than Lady Gaga during a concert (or so I've heard). So, in that light, how often do you guys change your equipment? What are you guys playing? Is there a driver you fall back on or do you always play the latest and greatest?

thanks

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1415812908' post='10435079']
[quote name='double or triple?' timestamp='1415579321' post='10421583']
Question for Mr Manwaring, if you had to choose just one, what is the single most important aspect in an iron that drives the direction of the irons Callaway produces knowing that pros are paid to play Callaway product and most amateurs can swing like them ? Forgiveness, workability, asthetics?
[/quote]

We try not to over segment the market but do recognize that pros will gravitate towards Apex Muscleback, Apex Pro and other irons design specifically to take advantage of their ability and desire to hunt the pin. The remaining players transition between hunting the pin and aiming for the center of the green. Distance plays a huge role and if we can design an iron that allows players to a higher lofted club into the green versus last year, we are going to bring it to market. -SM
[/quote]

Thanks for answering. Looking forward to what 2015 brings.

[quote name='BB815' timestamp='1415812440' post='10434997'] Should I expect to need more loft with this line than previous Callaway drivers due to lower spin? [/quote]

We recommend starting with the same stated loft as you currently use and then using the OptiFit hosel and Gravity Core to fine tune your trajectory from there. -EG

[quote name='callawayjay' timestamp='1415457818' post='10415427']
Are there plans to release gravity core weight kits allowing amateurs the ability to put even more weight either up or down?
[/quote]

Not at this time, we believe the offerings we have cover needs for just about every golfer, especially when combined with the other adjustability options the Drivers feature

Jason Finley @jasonfinleyCG

So.. with the irons.... First you has the Diablo Forged which were fantastic irons. Then you released the Apex irons which, to me, have been a clear cut above the DF's. The sound, feel and forgiveness have helped me play my best. With the successors... what types of things are relevant with an iron of that category, aside from just forgiveness.

Are you more concerned with acoustic/audible feedback, as with people, sound equates to feel? How can you make a club really forgiving, without giving it gobs of offset and making it super long heel to toe?

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1415496491' post='10417795'] It's really cool that Callaway would provide us with this chance to get our questions answered. I have a couple. First, does the white oval pattern serve a function on the Mack Daddy 2 wedges other than aesthetics? And if they are just for looks would it be possible to get the option to not have them on there? Second question is about the SuperSoft golf ball. Will it change for 2015 and if so what changes will you make? I sure hate the thought of any changes being made to this ball! Thanks GolfWRX and Callaway! [/quote]

[color="black"]To answer your first question, the oval pattern on the wedges is a surface roughness treatment which will add some spin on pitch shots around the green. It does wear off, especially in the bunker. We don’t have an option to not have the surface treatment, but you could take the wedges into a bunker and hit a few buckets and that would probably do the trick. [/color]

To answer your second question,[color="black"] t[/color][color="black"]he SuperSoft has been a huge hit for us. We’re working on a couple of changes to the ball which we think you’ll really like. [/color]

- Dave Neville (@DavidWNeville)

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1415470175' post='10416169']
Thank you for doing this Callaway Golf. Also, congratulations on the recent Long Drive win! With that said, my question is this:

I know you call upon PGA Tour players (like Mickelson) for feedback and research with new product. Now that you are sponsoring the LDA, and have winning staffers, do you or are you going to call upon their feedback for drivers that offer increased distance? Also, are you planning to release an LDA line of drivers that focuses purely on distance?

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Thank you very much. The LDA heads that we offer and will continue to offer are designed based on input and feedback from the entire Kings of Distance team. Those specific models tend to have a lower loft but also a higher CG as they tend to hit the ball higher on the face which leads to higher ball speeds for them.

Jason Finley @jasonfinleycg

[quote name='dccbryan' timestamp='1415620375' post='10423069']
What's next in the utility iron category? The X Utility prototype series was very good.
dccbryan
[/quote]

Apex Utility replaced the X Utility Prototype that is in the market. It is a really good utility iron. We expect to continue to modify and improve the Utility type clubs which are basically closed back two piece irons in the future. -SM

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1415813110' post='10435133']
[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1415465978' post='10415929']
The last Big Bertha had a rear mounted sliding weight for a higher MOI and a wider range of fade or draw bias options as opposed to the Alpha that utilized a toe and heel weight port. Of the two it seems that the sliding weight feature was a better option to dial in a desired ball flight. Was the rear sliding weight a possibility in the design for the new Big Bertha 815 line and why did you ultimately go with the heel and toe weight ports over the sliding weight option?
[/quote]

The Adjustable Perimeter Weighting system featured in the Big Bertha driver offered golfers great control over their shot shape as well as increased MOI. However, for Alpha 815, having interchangeable heel and toe weights was a more mass efficient way of giving the golfer control over their shot shape while keeping the center of gravity very low and providing the added adjustability of the Gravity Core. -EG
[/quote]will we see the adjustable perimeter weighting system in future models?

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

Lots on buzz surrounding your new ball... What's NEXT on that front?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1415813087' post='10435125'] I'm a higher handicap. Main issue is finding fairways as consistently as I would like, I tend to lose distance due to fading/slicing as well. Lower spin = distance. But does less spin also impede accuracy? What club would be a better starting point for me? 815 or Double Black? [/quote]

Historically, players have had to choose between low spin and forgiveness but we believe the Alpha 815 has broken this paradigm. Based on your description, we would recommend trying the Alpha 815, which will allow you to take advantage of the distance gains achieved by lower spin while maintaining control and consistency. To help reduce your slice, try putting the hosel in the 'D' setting and move the heavy weight to the heel. -EG

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1415573165' post='10421115']
In regards to the shaft options, I noticed that the Matrix 7M3 Black Tie that was a no-charge upgrade in my Razr FIT Extreme is now a $225.00 upgrade making the DBD into a $725 driver, and there are only a few choices that would be "free." What goes into these decisions in regards to what is a no-charge upgrade?

Thank you again for everything and don't worry about having me in the drawing. You have done PLENTY for me with the ApexMB's.
[/quote]

The new Big Bertha Alpha Drivers actually feature what we believe to be the broadest range of no up charge options covering a variety of weights, profiles and flexes include the Black Tie.

Jason Finley @jasonfinleyCG

Have a few comments and a question..

First, I participated in the SCGA "Youth on Course" tournament this past Monday at El Caballero CC.. Callaway was a huge sponsor and donated a lot to the auction piece and the attendees. I think besides broadening my outlook on the game, it also really hit home with Callaway being so involved in growing the game by keeping young golfers interested in the game. :drinks: Our group won the Gross flight, so now I have some Callaway scrip to buy a DBD :) So thank you for that as well!

Second - is what is the main difference/effect that having the Gravity Core positioned vertically vs. Nike's new Flex Flight which is positioned horizontally? Did you originally consider horizontal and rule it out in favor of the vertical orientation? Any major differences between the new version of the Gravity Core?

Third - are product cycles going to remain as "active" as they are currently? Or was it because you had so much good innovation you had compelling product to bring to market right now and are planning on slowing it down a bit going forward?

Fourth - there are a lot of exciting products in the newer lines, is there a specific product that Callaway tour players are the most excited about?

Thank you again for participation in growing the game and also for answering our questions here on GolfWRX!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1415499419' post='10418069']
It seemed like the original Alpha was not the prominent driver in tour players bags and that the Xhot and x2 were in more bags. Why do you think that was? Do you think these new alphas will have a larger tour presence?
[/quote]

Judging by the Tour player adoption in the first couple of weeks I expect a large percentage of our Tour players to be in Alpha 815 and Alpha 815 DD over the coming season. We are hearing great feedback from Tour on ball speed, lower spin rates and soft shot shaping. Woodland came second with the DD in his first week with the driver. AH.

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1415496628' post='10417819']
Question: Does Scott Goryl moonlight as a young Burt Reynolds impersonator on the weekends for extra money?

Question 2: Would you say you guys are beind, on track, or ahead of schedule, in your 5 year war ?
[/quote]

Ha! What's happening, J13!?

Burt Reynolds: Yes, I most certainly do. But I’m getting less gigs these days as the hairline recedes. Damn you and your perfect coif, Burt Reynolds!

5 Year War: From a business sense, we've growing marketshare in every major category (which is really the goal of the "war") so in that sense we're moving in the right direction quickly. Doc and his team never sleep, after all. But from the perspective of where we want to be, I would say we're somewhere closer to on-track. There is a real and humble sense that we have a lot more work to do. In other words, no one is celebrating anything yet.

-SG

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1415813938' post='10435261']
[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1415499419' post='10418069']
It seemed like the original Alpha was not the prominent driver in tour players bags and that the Xhot and x2 were in more bags. Why do you think that was? Do you think these new alphas will have a larger tour presence?
[/quote]

Judging by the Tour player adoption in the first couple of weeks I expect a large percentage of our Tour players to be in Alpha 815 and Alpha 815 DD over the coming season. We are hearing great feedback from Tour on ball speed, lower spin rates and soft shot shaping. Woodland came second with the DD in his first week with the driver. AH.
[/quote]

That's not answering the question, is it?

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1415662591' post='10426217'] I am curious if you would fit a golfer into the 815 DBD if the Alpha 815 driver were producing too high spin numbers? I am assuming the golfer is a good ball striker (let's say near scratch) and was less concerned about the added forgiveness the Alpha offers but may not have the swingspeed you would normally recommend for the DBD. [/quote]

The DBD with the Gravity Core down is our lowest spinning driver and designed for players who want the most extreme spin reduction, regardless of head speed. -EG

[quote name='g_winner' timestamp='1415813467' post='10435199']
How often do you receive club heads back that have had issues with the weight screws or gravity cores where they become loose or defective, if any at all?
[/quote]

Virtually none. When analyzing data for the very few returns we get on these Drivers, these issues are not even on the radar. And, as always if you have any issues like this our customer service will be able to help you out.

Jason Finley @jasonfinleycg

[quote name='layingfive' timestamp='1415757382' post='10432181']
I'm a high handicapper in the market for new game-improvement irons, and the new Big Bertha irons had been at the top of my list of potential purchases until I saw these tweets from a club fitter testing them on a launch monitor against the competition:

[quote]
"Next test- Callaway Big Bertha iron. Very good smash. But it ain't 2 clubs longer than anything we tested against. Not even 1 club longer" -- [url="https://twitter.com/KIRKOGURI/status/531921127598477315"]@KIRKOGURI[/url]

"At equal lofts- Taylormade RSi1 is equal in ball speed to Callaway Big Bertha iron. Also less expensive. 32* compared to 30*" -- [url="https://twitter.com/KIRKOGURI/status/531921609020669952"]@KIRKOGURI[/url]
[/quote]

What's your response to this?
[/quote]

[color=#282828]The face cup technology definitely provides distance and the two club claim was against a specific product so other products will yield different results. For high handicap players, there is an advantage to the close back of clubs so you should definitely give these a try. Also, Face cup produces ball speed over all of the face so expect more distance. Don’t forget that the face cup goes through the entire set providing distance and forgiveness for the PAR3 holes.[/color]

Scott Manwaring

[quote name='layingfive' timestamp='1415757382' post='10432181']
I'm a high handicapper in the market for new game-improvement irons, and the new Big Bertha irons had been at the top of my list of potential purchases until I saw these tweets from a club fitter testing them on a launch monitor against the competition:

[quote]
"Next test- Callaway Big Bertha iron. Very good smash. But it ain't 2 clubs longer than anything we tested against. Not even 1 club longer" -- [url="https://twitter.com/KIRKOGURI/status/531921127598477315"]@KIRKOGURI[/url]

"At equal lofts- Taylormade RSi1 is equal in ball speed to Callaway Big Bertha iron. Also less expensive. 32* compared to 30*" -- [url="https://twitter.com/KIRKOGURI/status/531921609020669952"]@KIRKOGURI[/url]
[/quote]

What's your response to this?
[/quote]

[color=#282828]The face cup technology definitely provides distance and the two club claim was against a specific product so other products will yield different results. For high handicap players, there is an advantage to the close back of clubs so you should definitely give these a try. Also, Face cup produces ball speed over all of the face so expect more distance. Don’t forget that the face cup goes through the entire set providing distance and forgiveness for the PAR3 holes.[/color]

Scott Manwaring