2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Vega VDC-01 irons

strongbear0

So I took the leap and purchased some Vega irons. I've played blades and CB from all major manufacturers over the past 20 years, but the quality and craftsmanship of these irons is like nothing I've ever seen before. They came with kbs tour shafts, but I'll be pulling those out today and be putting in my Nippon Modus3 120 X's. Tomorrow I'll be getting some raw vega wedges to complete this set.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice set. I have the same ones that I got recently. Mine have the recoil protos in them. You will love yours. They have a slightly wider sole than my scratch combo set and have the same rounded grind on the bottom which resembles the d/s grind. One of softest feeling irons I have gamed, and I have either gamed or tried just about everything out there. I hope you enjoy them as much I enjoy mine!!!

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1417098870' post='10510055']
Nice set. I have the same ones that I got recently. Mine have the recoil protos in them. You will love yours. They have a slightly wider sole than my scratch combo set and have the same rounded grind on the bottom which resembles the d/s grind. One of softest feeling irons I have gamed, and I have either gamed or tried just about everything out there. I hope you enjoy them as much I enjoy mine!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the KBS tour shafts, with the modus3 120's they will be great. Buying this set may have set me down the road to ruin with clubs though, it's gonna be hard to accept anything less then this level of craftsmanship from here on out. I really love the Raw vdc-01's too, but I got a good deal on these so that's gonna have to be my next set.

[quote name='strongbear0' timestamp='1417102225' post='10510277']
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the KBS tour shafts, with the modus3 120's they will be great. Buying this set may have set me down the road to ruin with clubs though, it's gonna be hard to accept anything less then this level of craftsmanship from here on out. I really love the Raw vdc-01's too, but I got a good deal on these so that's gonna have to be my next set.
[/quote]

I was also struggling with which ones to go with as well. I love the look of the raw VC-01's, but was told the head is slightly larger than the VDC's. For me, in the end it came down to the grind and feel. The VDC satins were perfect. Once you try Miura, Epon, Vega, or Yururi, you never want to ever go back to USA OEM irons, lol.

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I've played miura, but not epon and I love the look of the Yururi wedges and flat back blades. Yururi is probably some of my favorite clubs as far as looks go, I love the hand ground look and the real human touch that goes into them. I think I'm gonna go with a 52* and 58* vega wedges. There's a local vega dealer close to me and he's got some lightly used vega wedges for a good price.

[quote name='strongbear0' timestamp='1417103679' post='10510363']
I've played miura, but not epon and I love the look of the Yururi wedges and flat back blades. Yururi is probably some of my favorite clubs as far as looks go, I love the hand ground look and the real human touch that goes into them. I think I'm gonna go with a 52* and 58* vega wedges. There's a local vega dealer close to me and he's got some lightly used vega wedges for a good price.
[/quote]

Go for it. Vega makes some of the best wedges around and have different grinds. Just make sure you try them first to see which grind fits you. I need to replace my 54* soon and am currently having a hard time deciding between different brands. Scratch, Miura, Vega, Yururi, Chikara, and Bettinardi are the ones I am looking at, lol.

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1417103967' post='10510381']
[quote name='strongbear0' timestamp='1417103679' post='10510363']
[/quote]

Go for it. Vega makes some of the best wedges around and have different grinds. Just make sure you try them first to see which grind fits you. I need to replace my 54* soon and am currently having a hard time deciding between different brands. Scratch, Miura, Vega, Yururi, Chikara, and Bettinardi are the ones I am looking at, lol.
[/quote]

That's quite a list to narrow down. Seems we have the same taste in clubs, I have a Circle T Del Mar Buttonback that I use.

Nice set. Definitely post more pics when you can. Welcome to the site!

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Here's my set.....

• 3 months later...

[/quote]

I have a set consisting of 4-pw with Steelfiber i110cw Stiff shafts currently being built by The Golf Mechaic out of Pompano Beach, Fla. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas!

[/quote]

I have a set consisting of 4-pw with Steelfiber i110cw Stiff shafts currently being built by The Golf Mechanic out of Pompano Beach, Fla. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas!

I picked up a set of the Vc-01's and love them! I'm getting a set of raw wedges built in vw-04 for my 50 & 54 and the 08 for my 58...absolutely amazing craftsmanship from Vega!

917 D3 8.5 Aerotech TI Fiber 70<br />Callaway GBB Epic Diaman whiteboard X<br />Titleist 818 H1 18 Atmos Black X<br />Titleist 718 AP3 4-GW AMT white<br />SM7 Raw Vokey 52F & 58K<br />Scotty Cameron Laguna

I've had about every Mizuno set going, almost all Miura sets along with many other brands through the years and when it came time to pull the trigger in selling there was never anything really holding me back. But with my Vega's (VC-01 and VM-02) I just cannot pull the trigger. These are the softest most playable irons I've ever had. They inspire so much confidence when playing them and it honestly shows in my game. That there is little love for these irons in the States is understandable because of lack of exposure but to anyone out there thinking about picking up a set of Vegas, stop thinking and start doing; you won't regret it IMO.

Ping 410 9.0

Ping g425 14.5 3 wood 

New Level 21* bent to 20* driving iron

Taylormade M4 5 wood
Wilson Staff tour cb 5-7, FG tour v6 8-pw

New Level 902pd 5-pw 105 TT stiff (on their way)
Titleist sm7 50-10 F, 56-10 F, 60-8wedge flex
3 #7 style mallets: Taylormade, Cleveland and Tommy Armour

[quote name='awmobjects' timestamp='1426070552' post='11120153']
I have a set consisting of 4-pw with Steelfiber i110cw Stiff shafts currently being built by The Golf Mechaic out of Pompano Beach, Fla. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas!
[/quote]
I have the same (but non-cw). You are going to love them! I'm starting my third season with them now and the honeymoon phase is still far from over!

[quote name='Maximilian' timestamp='1426848182' post='11178433']
[quote name='awmobjects' timestamp='1426070552' post='11120153']
[/quote]
I have the same (but non-cw). You are going to love them! I'm starting my third season with them now and the honeymoon phase is still far from over!
[/quote]
Thanks! I received them on Tuesday and the Bennington QO-14 cart bag (Beautiful!) on Wednesday. I was all set to play today but was hit with more New Jersey snow yesterday so I'm still waiting to play.

They are absolutely the softest irons I've ever played and combined with the Modus3 tour 120x the feel is so smooth. I played X100's for the past 20 years, but my wrists and hands have taken a beating and I couldn't handle long range sessions anymore with the X100's and I don't have the same problem with the Modus3 tour 120x's, but they still play x-stiff which I like. I did pick up a couple Vega wedges, vw-02 52* and a vw-08 58* with Nippon WV 115 wedge shafts. I'm currently shopping for some new wedges, wasn't a huge fan of the wedge grinds, super sharp leading edge with 13* of bounce on the 58* was strange. I love the feel of them, but just think the grinds didn't work well with my swing, too bad cause they are pretty. Looking into some Fourteen RM-21 wedges now, or just putting my Vokek TVD-M's back in the bag.

I think the Nippon WV115 wedge shaft might be a little light compared to what I'm used to also so I'm thinking of going with the 120tx soft stepped twice to make a spinner and add a little weight.

[quote name='golfzob' timestamp='1426134630' post='11126749']
I picked up a set of the Vc-01's and love them! I'm getting a set of raw wedges built in vw-04 for my 50 & 54 and the 08 for my 58...absolutely amazing craftsmanship from Vega!
[/quote]

I love the look of the VC-01 in RAW and actually thought about picking up a set for right after winter when my swing is a little rusty and I could use the extra forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hale75' timestamp='1428764681' post='11333859']
I'm treating myself to a 40th birthday gift and I'm eyeing a set of these. Never even seen a set in person, but they look nice. Currently playing Cobra S3 Pro irons and definitely don't want to go with anything that is less forgiving. How do these play? I'm hesitant to drop the coin on these without ever hitting them.
[/quote]

I would think they be as forgiving or more forgiving then your current irons, but can't say for sure since I've never hit the Cobra S3 pro. As for feel I can comment on that and IMHO the feel of Vega irons are second to none. I love that a players club can feel so great and give instant feedback and moderate forgiveness without having to use rubber inserts and such to imorove feel and forgiveness. Kyoei forgings are super soft and the Vega line is forged from S25C carbon steel which is softer then American irons forged from 1020c. I'm super pleased with my purchase and don't think I'll be switching any time in the foreseeable future. There are authorized Vega dealers across the U.S. and I'm sure you can find one close where you could get a chance to hit some.

If you happen to be in the Dallas area you are more then welcome stop by and hit mine sometime.

[quote name='ntenn' timestamp='1428466558' post='11309037']
[color=#282828]Nice looking clubs[/color]
[/quote]

Thanks

I'm treating myself to a 40th birthday gift and I'm eyeing a set of these. Never even seen a set in person, but they look nice. Currently playing Cobra S3 Pro irons and definitely don't want to go with anything that is less forgiving. How do these play? I'm hesitant to drop the coin on these without ever hitting them.
[/quote]
Thus guy has built several different sets for me with the latest being the VDC-01 with Steelfiber i110cw Stiff Shafts. He's extremely knowledgeable and does GREAT work! :

www.thegolfmechanic.com

[quote name='awmobjects' timestamp='1429090486' post='11362657']
[/quote]
Thus guy has built several different sets for me with the latest being the VDC-01 with Steelfiber i110cw Stiff Shafts. He's extremely knowledgeable and does GREAT work! :

www.thegolfmechanic.com
[/quote]

VDC-01's with steelfibers must be a hell of a smooth playing set. I love mine with the Modus3 120's I could only imagine how the steelfibers feel in them.

[quote name='strongbear0' timestamp='1429153168' post='11370287']
[quote name='awmobjects' timestamp='1429090486' post='11362657']
[/quote]

www.thegolfmechanic.com
[/quote]

VDC-01's with steelfibers must be a hell of a smooth playing set. I love mine with the Modus3 120's I could only imagine how the steelfibers feel in them.
[/quote]

Butter!