2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Looks like someone at the Masters listened to Johnny Miller!

Simp

As some of you may remember, Johnny said in a recent Golf Digest that the Masters should mix up some pin positions. It seems that I've seen some "Sunday" pin positions today. #16 for sure. I like it!

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Johnny much either. Why is he allowed to turn every commentation into a story about him? Why is he allowed to show old footage of himself all the time? I rank his commentary right up there with the ones Chris Bermon was doing.

Ping i25 PWR 65 10.5° or RBZ RIP70 10.5°
Ping Anser 4metal
TM R11 4hybrid
Ping g20 5-6, i15 7-gw, Tour S 56, 60
TM Spider Ghost
TW13's, Pentas, Clicgear 1, Frogger

Jonny Miller is a complete moron. :russian_roulette: End of story.

:russian_roulette: You may think he's a moron but I believe he has a point. The Masters, IMO, is the most boring major that we have. Everyone knows exactly where all of the pins will be on any given day and if it weren't for the greens being like lightning and history on its side, what would be the difference between Augusta Nat'l and just about any other Tour stop?

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Hey Simp,

That pin at 16 today was not the Sunday pin......the Sunday pin is on the same line but about 10 steps more towards the front. Actually, the pins were almost all in their traditional Thursday spots or within a few feet anyhow. Several are close throughout the four days which make they seem the same, especially on TV. Great pins though, aren't they?

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

the most boring major? the same thing ever year? almost all events use the same pins year in and year out. the only difference is that the masters is the only major (official major at least - there is also the players championship) that is played on the same course year in and year out. while it might seem boring with the same pins, they are difficult pin locations on difficult greens and still require the player to hit the shot.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Jonny Miller is a complete moron. :russian_roulette: End of story.

... seriously now, miller may be a little full of himself and say some off-the-wall stuff ... but where does a 20 year old kid get off calling the man a moron.

sure it's just your opinion, but it's a bad one. miller is very qualified to comment on anything that is golf and knows his $hit.

aren't you the kid who said he had a 126 mph swing speed and then posted a session of your swing, which clearly didn't even come close to entering that realm?

get real, son, before you put your ignorance on display.

fwiw ... excellent suggestions on pin placements at augusta from miller.

The Masters, IMO, is the most boring major that we have. Everyone knows exactly where all of the pins will be on any given day and if it weren't for the greens being like lightning and history on its side, what would be the difference between Augusta Nat'l and just about any other Tour stop?

Fascinating reply. So I have to ask what makes a major exciting? Isn't it history and lightening greens that make the US Open what it is? Is there no history making The Open the championship of all golf and thus, well, The Open? I believe History is what increases the value of all the majors and without the history there is indeed nothing to differentiate any major venue from any other tour stop. I could be wrong. Your point is lost on me.

Jonny Miller is a complete moron. :friends: End of story.

... seriously now, miller may be a little full of himself and say some off-the-wall stuff ... but where does a 20 year old kid get off calling the man a moron.

sure it's just your opinion, but it's a bad one. miller is very qualified to comment on anything that is golf and knows his $hit.

aren't you the kid who said he had a 126 mph swing speed and then posted a session of your swing, which clearly didn't even come close to entering that realm?

Miller is a little harsh, and he knows his stuff, but its the way he presents it. His commentary comes off as know-it-all-ish, and even his praises for the tour players during commentary sound critical when he says it. Thats the reason most people cant stand him, even if he is qualified.

Jonny Miller is a complete moron. :friends: End of story.

Miller is a little harsh, and he knows his stuff, but its the way he presents it. His commentary comes off as know-it-all-ish, and even his praises for the tour players during commentary sound critical when he says it. Thats the reason most people cant stand him, even if he is qualified.

i see your point. but, i love the way miller stirs it up and puts a controversial spin on things. golf on t.v. can be pretty boring. i like the way he speaks his mind and even the way he throws out the crazy stuff that has me shaking my head.

the man endeavors to make a sport which moves very slowly (and can be tough to watch on t.v.) a bit more interesting. sure he trashes some players, but that makes it fun too ... for me anyway. he views his job as one of being analytical, critical, and controversial. it's good that someone does.

off the subject at hand ... but, in his prime -- early to mid 70's -- miller was the finest iron player the game has ever seen imo (and i got to see him). he had a bit of a short-lived career (and was not a good putter), but it's still a legitimate hall of fame one.

miller is certainly no moron.

Miller is no morno....he's a self-loving has been.

-mini

I hate mornos. Don't get me started.

Ain't nothing worse than a self loving, know it all mornos. :cheesy: Them mornos are something else. :friends:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Love him or hate him here are the facts:

Miller won two majors, and played the greatest round in US Open history

Miller was the best player in the world for a short period of time.

Miller was one of the greatest, if not the greatest iron players of all time.

Miller knows more about the golf swing than anyone on this forum

Miller has been there and done that in the heat of the battle, and won majors and many pga tour events while doing so.

Miller may be a blow hard, and be very opinionated but he is more qualified to make comments about golf tournaments and the players than anyone on this forum.

The reason Miller is so controversial is becasue he shoots straight, and tells it how he sees it. You may not agre with how he sees it, and you are intitled to your opinion.

Miller would be one of the most interesting people in golf to have a conversation with. Too many of the announcers are afraid to speak honestly becaue they dont want to offend their buddies on tour. Many of the tour players dont like him, simply because the truth hurst sometimes.

Anyone who calls Miller a moron, and not a Morman, (see Paul Azinger) :friends: is simply ignorant.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Miller has been there and done that in the heat of the battle, and won majors and many pga tour events while doing so.

Miller may be a blow hard, and be very opinionated but he is more qualified to make comments about golf tournaments and the players than anyone on this forum.

The reason Miller is so controversial is becasue he shoots straight, and tells it how he sees it. You may not agre with how he sees it, and you are intitled to your opinion.

Miller would be one of the most interesting people in golf to have a conversation with. Too many of the announcers are afraid to speak honestly becaue they dont want to offend their buddies on tour. Many of the tour players dont like him, simply because the truth hurst sometimes.

Anyone who calls Miller a moron, and not a Morman, (see Paul Azinger) :friends: is simply ignorant.

Well said, and I wholeheartedly agree. His blurb in Golf mag/digest (whichever) was sensible. Tradition aside, having some varied pin placements would add to the tournament. I suppose he is golf's Howard Cosell. Anyone who has earned their stripes in the PGA has at least more experience to draw from than we do. Miller IMHO does a better job than Faldo, but then again, I think Faldo needs someone like Miller to best bring out what Faldo can add...

Well said, and I wholeheartedly agree. His blurb in Golf mag/digest (whichever) was sensible. Tradition aside, having some varied pin placements would add to the tournament. I suppose he is golf's Howard Cosell. Anyone who has earned their stripes in the PGA has at least more experience to draw from than we do. Miller IMHO does a better job than Faldo, but then again, I think Faldo needs someone like Miller to best bring out what Faldo can add...

miller and faldo could be a very interesting combo.

Johnny knows all about what the Masters should do, based on his tremendous personal success there over the years. :friends:

Of course. Johnny is probably the best that ever was, according to him. I don't think he can get through an hour without mentioning himself. Psssst Johnny, it's 2007, no one cares anymore.

Johnny knows all about what the Masters should do, based on his tremendous personal success there over the years. :friends:

I'm sure that Johnny doesn't lose any sleep over not winning the Masters. He's won enough to keep him busy dusting his trophies.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

The reason the pins were moved around a little this year is because the committee couldn't get a ball to stop where the pins usually are.

the reason the pins are usually in the same spot is because those positions lend themselves to the best test of golf and thus the most drama and excitement.

Its not as easy as just taking out the hole cutter and sticking randomly into the green. You have to understand every break on those greens and how the green reacts to approaches. over the past 70 years the National has learned a thing or two about those greens and place their pins with extreme prudence.

Gimme some credit dude. I know that most of those pin locations are the only locations that can be had on those greens. I'm just saying Johnny had a good idea in that they should switch them up some. It gets boring when you know exactly where the pins are going to be. Throw the best players in the world for a loop every once in a while. Most of those guys can play that course blindfolded by now.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Gimme some credit dude. I know that most of those pin locations are the only locations that can be had on those greens. I'm just saying Johnny had a good idea in that they should switch them up some. It gets boring when you know exactly where the pins are going to be. Throw the best players in the world for a loop every once in a while. Most of those guys can play that course blindfolded by now.

Were you under a rock this past weekend? The winning score was tied for the lowest in 71 years! I don't think any golfer who tee'd it up in Augusta this past weekend would say there was anything boring about any of the holes they played. I think they were thrown a serious loop or two without moving the pins around. Although I will agree without that most would have preferred to play it blindfolded! :friends:

Were you under a rock this past weekend? The winning score was tied for the lowest in 71 years! I don't think any golfer who tee'd it up in Augusta this past weekend would say there was anything boring about any of the holes they played. I think they were thrown a serious loop or two without moving the pins around. Although I will agree without that most would have preferred to play it blindfolded! :rolleyes:

They can thank the difficult conditions to the lack of rain. With some rain to soften up everything you have the same old Augusta and it's not all that hard for those guys.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby