Maui - 1st week of February

Chicago Lefty

I know this may be the slowest moving forum on WRX, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

I'll be in Maui the first week of February for the 4th time, my favorite place on earth...can't wait. The last few times I've played a lot of the same courses and I'm looking to branch out and seeking recommendations. I think I'll be able to squeeze in 4 rounds. Looking for recommendations on any courses I may have missed that are can't miss courses.

Courses I've Played:

Kapalua Plantation - Played 3x going to skip this time

Kapalua Bay - Played 1x but may not be taking the trip that far north this trip

Kahili - Love this course. Aweomse value, close to Kihei, and I can get out early

Elleair - Probably wouldn't return to this course unless there is a skins game going on. Kahili is far superior and I think less expensive

Makena - May be my favorite course on Maui. I haven't heard if it has re-opened though?

Wailea Blue - Spendy but nice course. I think the other Wailea courses are rated higher?

Courses I plan to play this time unless anyone has some negative opinions:

Dunes at Maui Lani - Really looking forward to this one

Waiehu - Maui county course. Good price, conditions are probably questionable, but I believe you play on the shore for a bit?

Wailea Gold - Supposed to be the best Wailea track?

I have room for one more course. I may just play Kahili again as I really enjoy that course and it's a fantastic value. Is King Kamehameha worth the price of admission? Am I missing anything not playing the Kaanapali courses?

Are the skins games still happening? I've wanted to donate some money to a game previously but just haven't had a chance on previous visits.

Also, if anyone from Maui is looking to play a round I'd love to get out with a local and talk Hawaii golf. You're guaranteed to take a few bucks off me as my handicap tends to jump 8 points in Hawaii between the trade winds, crazy rough and grainy greens. We play very flat golf here in Chicago!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our favourite destination too. First I recommend that you read through the fairly recent Maui posts in this sub-forum and the main travel forum as I think most of your questions will be covered. Meantime, not just golf, and though you have been there before:

Many holes do go along the shore at Waiehu, though I haven't played it. It's on our list for next year. Even if you just go for a look with your significant other, buy a sandwich or burger at the little restaurant and eat it at the small park at the water at he end of the driving range. It's not far from the Queen Ka'ahumanu mall or the College where the Saturday flea market is held if you are hitting either of those.

For the bucks the Gold is a better bet than Old Blue, but tougher and tougher than the Emerald. However the Blue will likely be less busy if you want a time. I got in a ton of bunkers at the Gold just over a month ago, was disappointed at lack of sand in some for the price. I actually think it was way overpriced for value. We didn't play the Blue for that reason and it has always been quite empty when we played, even when we got some deals a couple of years ago.

Makena is still closed and will only reopen as a high-priced very private track.

For KIng K, I don't think it's worth the extra bucks and it can get even windier than Kahili across the way.

Dunes was in better shape this year than the last couple of years I played, (i.e. more grass in the fairway) and it's an ok track. Re Kaanapali, I only played the Kai course once (not the other) and very much a resort course.

If you want a change, try Pukalani. The fairways weren't that great this Fall when I was there, but it is inexpensive for most Maui courses, is a locals favourite (as is of course Waiehu and the Dunes at Maui Lani). Not fancy but a down home feel to it, some holes by just-folks homes. After or before have a meal or snack at the trailer restaurant (the old clubhouse burned down years ago and hasn't been rebuilt). Or, depending on timing have lunch at Gannon's General Store that isn't far.

Re "Elleair" which is renamed "Maui Nui" from after a management change:
Agreed it isn't all that special or difficult, though I think it is pleasant. They did have some green specials when we were there off peak- season and it got a few rounds. Plus the location advantage since we too were staying in Kihei. The restaurant there, Konos on the Green, has a good Happy Hour (from 2:30 I think). Play there buy a beer during Happy Hour and the second beer is the score you (say you) shot.

Speaking of scores, your comment about your cap going up playing on Maui was interesting. Maui Nui's rating is way to high and course staff agrees that it needs to be re-rated. They at least dropped the slope down to 122 white tees (69.8/122) on the website from complaints when I was there, rather than the 129 (69.8/129) or so on the card (white tees). Still too high a rating, but it's a start.

But my friends and I think the course ratings in general are too high on Maui, compared to what we see here. Even with the gnarly stuff and wind and elevation changes on some, the fairways are generally very wide. Plus the actual yardages often are shorter than on the card. I'm around a bogey golfer and my cap usually goes DOWN a couple of strokes or more when I'm there. This year it only went down one, and my game was a bit off, but also because I decided not to report the Maui Nui scores after the proshop confirmed it was out of whack.

Have fun--- my wife insists we go later than usual one year soon, in Feb like you, to be there for more whales.

Thx for the response!

That's kind of disappointing in regards to Wailea. I may stick still book a round on the Gold and pray for the best. I would like to give it a whirl. I think the skins game is ran there as well and I may try to track down the day it is played there.

I thought about Pulakani but had heard mixed reviews on that one as well. I may still look into it, but Kahili can be had for a song on Golfnow most mornings.

In regards to my cap, my last few trips have been much better than my first. I found the greens nearly impossible to read the first rounds I played. Visually uphill putts were crazy downhill and vice versa. It's a different world of golf compared to may of the cow pastures we play on here in the Midwest. That's interesting about the course ratings.

We've done the whales a couple of times. It's a nice ride and we've never been shut out in terms of not seeing whales. I don't think we'll be taking the tour this time around, but we will be doing some scuba!

Makena was the best value on Maui in my opinion ($70 on golfnow when I played in 2012) and I was very disappointed when they closed for renovations and more disappointed when I heard it will be private when it reopens.

I played Waiehu my last trip and really enjoyed it. Obviously it's not in pristine shape but there are a few really unique holes and lots of great views. Be prepared for a long round though. My round was close to five hours and some locals mentioned that's not abnormal.

King K was a very nice course and was mostly empty when I played which was great. It's expensive though and the wind really blows there, even sometimes in the morning.

[quote name='FourUnder' timestamp='1419458431' post='10638759']
Makena was the best value on Maui in my opinion ($70 on golfnow when I played in 2012) and I was very disappointed when they closed for renovations and more disappointed when I heard it will be private when it reopens.

I played Waiehu my last trip and really enjoyed it. Obviously it's not in pristine shape but there are a few really unique holes and lots of great views. Be prepared for a long round though. My round was close to five hours and some locals mentioned that's not abnormal.

King K was a very nice course and was mostly empty when I played which was great. It's expensive though and the wind really blows there, even sometimes in the morning.
[/quote]

Another bonus to Waiehu if one can handle the heat is one can walk it. I didn't say in my post that a friend of ours played it just after we left in mid-November and really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1419184581' post='10624705']
I know this may be the slowest moving forum on WRX, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

I'll be in Maui the first week of February for the 4th time, my favorite place on earth...can't wait. The last few times I've played a lot of the same courses and I'm looking to branch out and seeking recommendations. I think I'll be able to squeeze in 4 rounds. Looking for recommendations on any courses I may have missed that are can't miss courses.

Courses I've Played:
Kapalua Plantation - Played 3x going to skip this time
Kapalua Bay - Played 1x but may not be taking the trip that far north this trip
Kahili - Love this course. Aweomse value, close to Kihei, and I can get out early
Elleair - Probably wouldn't return to this course unless there is a skins game going on. Kahili is far superior and I think less expensive
Makena - May be my favorite course on Maui. I haven't heard if it has re-opened though?
Wailea Blue - Spendy but nice course. I think the other Wailea courses are rated higher?

Courses I plan to play this time unless anyone has some negative opinions:

Dunes at Maui Lani - Really looking forward to this one
Waiehu - Maui county course. Good price, conditions are probably questionable, but I believe you play on the shore for a bit?
Wailea Gold - Supposed to be the best Wailea track?

I have room for one more course. I may just play Kahili again as I really enjoy that course and it's a fantastic value. Is King Kamehameha worth the price of admission? Am I missing anything not playing the Kaanapali courses?

Are the skins games still happening? I've wanted to donate some money to a game previously but just haven't had a chance on previous visits.

Also, if anyone from Maui is looking to play a round I'd love to get out with a local and talk Hawaii golf. You're guaranteed to take a few bucks off me as my handicap tends to jump 8 points in Hawaii between the trade winds, crazy rough and grainy greens. We play very flat golf here in Chicago!
[/quote]

Can't add anything other than to say its one of my favorite spots on earth as well and I'm quite envious! :lol:

Have fun out there!

• 6 months later...