2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

New Maxfli SoftFli 2 Piece 35 Compression

cane700

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhmm 35 compression like the SS but is a 3-piece ball, nice.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

[quote name='cane700' timestamp='1424922709' post='11030557']
[url="http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57136166"]http://m.dickssporti...ductId=57136166[/url]

Just saw this on Dick's site. Looks like another low compression choice for those that like it.
[/quote] idk about anything maxfli anymore

Saw them last night when I went to DSG... Almost pulled the trigger but we still have about 2 feet of snow on the ground so I wouldnt be able to try them until at least April... Would really love to hear how the stack up against the Gamer Soft though

TSR3 Driver/Fairway/Hybrid

2023 T200 (4i - 48*) 

SM10 52F* & 56S*
Newport Select 1.5

-ProV1X

• 3 weeks later...

I saw these too.. At 2 for $25, I wanted to grab some, but I'm in love with the urethane cover on the U/4 - which was $17.50 each..
For $5 more, I gotta go with the urethane.
The U/3 which is also urethane is only $15...
If I was DSG, that's what I would be promoting.. the urethane cover of the U/3 & U/4.

For me, these golf balls are very soft and long, but I was previously playing Slazenger Raw (which are 2 billion compression).

[quote name='GameDayDog' timestamp='1426931802' post='11184883']
I saw these too.. At 2 for $25, I wanted to grab some, but I'm in love with the urethane cover on the U/4 - which was $17.50 each..
For $5 more, I gotta go with the urethane.
The U/3 which is also urethane is only $15...
If I was DSG, that's what I would be promoting.. the urethane cover of the U/3 & U/4.

For me, these golf balls are very soft and long, but I was previously playing Slazenger Raw (which are 2 billion compression).
[/quote]2 billion and 1

Swung past DSG today to grab my son a lighter t-ball bat and unconsciously wandered into the golf section...
There was 6 or 7 boxes left on the shelf... I'm pretty sure it won't be long until I find a few on the course..

Meanwhile, I had another fun day with the U/4's at Julington Creek.
Putting was much better but now I have to work on chipping with a urethane ball..
I learned that PW and up = roll out ... GW, SW & LW = check up... Ugh!

• 4 weeks later...

Out of fear that the U/4 might disappear.. I bought 2 dozen of these at Dick's for $25.

Next to the urethane U/4 the Softfli is muted off the putter. I've heard people say that the U/4 was "clicky".

I never noticed it until I putted with it back to back with the Softfli ... There's definitely no clicky sound but I had no problem controlling the putting distance with it.

Reviews on the DSG website have numerous people saying that they gained a club using this ball.

I was skeptical, but there's a baseball field where I hit my 60 degree lob wedge with full swings.
The first swing with the Softfli went over the scoreboard. It looked like it had a normal trajectory, but I was like talking to it like Spieth - Get Down... Get Down!!!

This ball has potential... but I'm not a fan of the alignment aid... However, I don't use it to line up my putts.
I'll add pics of the ball later... Gotta run to work.

Out of fear that the U/4 might disappear.. I bought 2 dozen of these at Dick's for $25.

Next to the urethane U/4 the Softfli is muted off the putter. I've heard people say that the U/4 was "clicky".

I never noticed it until I putted with it back to back with the Softfli ... There's definitely no clicky sound but I had no problem controlling the putting distance with it.

Reviews on the DSG website have numerous people saying that they gained a club using this ball.

I was skeptical, but there's a baseball field where I hit my 60 degree lob wedge with full swings.
The first swing with the Softfli went over the scoreboard. It looked like it had a normal trajectory, but I was like talking to it like Spieth - Get Down... Get Down!!!

This ball has potential... but I'm not a fan of the alignment aid... However, I don't use it to line up my putts.
I'll add pics of the ball later... Gotta run to work.

I played a couple of rounds with the Softfli and it is long for my 90 mph SS and had a good feel to it. It performed well around the greens but just like the Supersoft it is not a urethene cover. It also had a more solid feel and sound than the 2014 Supersoft. Overall a very good ball and a bargain at 2 dozen for $25.

I played a couple of rounds with the Softfli and it is long for my 90 mph SS and had a good feel to it. It performed well around the greens but just like the Supersoft it is not a urethene cover. It also had a more solid feel and sound than the 2014 Supersoft. Overall a very good ball and a bargain at 2 dozen for $25.

It's an Ionomer cover, similar to the Wilson Duo that gets a lot of love here.. But you're right - there's urethane & everything else..

I almost forgot to post pictures of my balls... One is a U/4 - Softfli comparison.. The other is 2 Softfli's... Notice the blue numbers on the Softfli.

[attachment=2719651:image.jpg]

[attachment=2719653:image.jpg]

It's an Ionomer cover, similar to the Wilson Duo that gets a lot of love here.. But you're right - there's urethane & everything else..

I almost forgot to post pictures of my balls... One is a U/4 - Softfli comparison.. The other is 2 Softfli's... Notice the blue numbers on the Softfli.

[attachment=2719651:image.jpg]

[attachment=2719653:image.jpg]

GameDayDog
I have only played 2 rounds with the Softfli and the first one was a practice just getting rid of 5 months of rust. I played a couple of days ago and the ball performed fine and I plan to purchase a couple of dozen again. I was just hoping to manage expectations around the green compared to a urethane ball.

Let us know how you make out.

Just finished the 15th Annual Katelyn Atwell St. Jude Golf Classic at Queens Harbor Golf Course. I played the Softfli the entire time. First off - I'll retract my previous statement, it's not a club longer. All of my distances were spot on. The greens were receptive and most shots stopped near their pitch marks. Based on the combination of the turf and the ball, I'd say I tried to hit lob wedges expecting about 5 feet of roll out. I felt comfortable attacking the flag. Nothing bounced twice and stopped though - mainly because the greens were soft.

The ball is workable - I moved it left and right with no problems or extreme swings. The best swings felt like the ball wasn't there. For me, the ball went higher than I'm used to seeing - As a warning though, I've been working on NOT delofting my irons so much at impact (my distances were inconsistent and iron shots didn't have the right trajectory to hold greens - IMHO)... With my driver & fairway woods, I still had the medium, penetrating flight that I'm accustomed too.

The cover is durable. Twice, I had "hairs" on the golf ball ... I just scratched the shredding off with my fingernail, but no major scuff marks that made it unplayable. Putting was fantastic. Thanks to practicing - I had no surprises with the ball jumping off the club face.

I can't predict the next time I'll get to play, but I enjoyed using with the Softfli. No complaints at all and don't forget 2 for $25...
This might be my ball for the season if they stop making the U/3 and U/4...

While supplies last, it's hard not to choose the U/3 at 2 for $30... Just $5 more to get the urethane covered 3 piece ball sounds like a no brainer.

These low compression balls are designed for slow swing speeds, no matter what the ads say. They are also good for cold days. Kids, slow swing females and older golfers are going to find these balls very "likeable". It is not hard to figure out that a kid, (mine is 8) that has a 60mph driver ss is more likely to compress a 35 compression ball and get some spring or bounce off the club at impacted. The new Duo at 29 is real soft. The wilson staff duo spin is a bit firmer at 35 com. then the old duo at 40. The 3 layers helps a lot. I have played the duo spin, my driver ss is around 95. It really jumps off the shorter irons, and wedges. Higher and farther then I am use to. I did feel that I lost some distance with woods and driver, but the plus is it tended to go straighter. I could live with this ball, if I played just for score. It is hard to work the ball and pitch and chipping are not as "grabby" and takes a bit to get use to. I play the maxfli U4 and wilson fg tour. The u4 was the highest spinning ball in 2013, not 14, but I am not sure that all the testing is the same to compare year to year. I would expect the maxfli softfli would play the same at a much lower cost.

NJ I hate you :pardon: . All last year you tout the U3. OK maybe this guy has something. I got 2 dozen. Played them last Saturday. They just plugged and sanded the greens. Lobbing up onto the greens was a cloud of sand and 2 maybe 3 small hops and a stop.YUPPERS this guy has something here. A little hard just like you said. Great ball looks like I have a gamer. I also hit about every damn cart path out there. Not a scratch, durability,check. Again just as you mentioned.

Now you are talkin the Softfli. Damn another ball to try. I got 2 dozen and went out Sunday on my favorite Par 3 track. It was a train wreck. Couldn't hold a green worth a damn. Not the balls fault, entirely the gunner. I sucked. Ball felt great though. I loved the feel. I'll try it this weekend or next depending on the weather.

I value your opinion. I'm a high capper and I like that you tell it from your perspective. I'm going to get some more U3's though I really liked them. I'm going to give the Softfli a good tryout too. I've also got a dozen Duo spins and some Gamer Softs too. I am looking to move to a 3 piece this year for some better grip on the greens.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your posts. I for one truly appreciate them.

Mark Shuman

[quote name='phread59' timestamp='1429720673' post='11416707']
NJ I hate you :pardon: . All last year you tout the U3. OK maybe this guy has something. I got 2 dozen. Played them last Saturday. They just plugged and sanded the greens. Lobbing up onto the greens was a cloud of sand and 2 maybe 3 small hops and a stop.YUPPERS this guy has something here. A little hard just like you said. Great ball looks like I have a gamer. I also hit about every damn cart path out there. Not a scratch, durability,check. Again just as you mentioned.

Now you are talkin the Softfli. Damn another ball to try. I got 2 dozen and went out Sunday on my favorite Par 3 track. It was a train wreck. Couldn't hold a green worth a damn. Not the balls fault, entirely the gunner. I sucked. Ball felt great though. I loved the feel. I'll try it this weekend or next depending on the weather.

I value your opinion. I'm a high capper and I like that you tell it from your perspective. I'm going to get some more U3's though I really liked them. I'm going to give the Softfli a good tryout too. I've also got a dozen Duo spins and some Gamer Softs too. I am looking to move to a 3 piece this year for some better grip on the greens.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your posts. I for one truly appreciate them.

Mark Shuman
[/quote]

Thanks - Not all of us here are +HCP;s with 120 mph Driver Swing Speeds. I am going to miss the U/3 but will continue to use the Softfli until I decide what to do. I may go back to the Gamer Tour, but I was so much longer with the U/3.

Are softer compression balls geared towards slower swing speeds, or are they just soft balls whose intent is independent of swing speed?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Stock up on u3.... It is a really great ball for you guys that are looking for some more backspin then a non urathan ball but not as much as a tour ball. It will have less side spin and less backspin, a nice combo. Next to that would be the Wilson FG Tour. nice combo of low driver spin and high wedge spin, at only 70 com. Still priced a bit high but have found some at 33.00. The Callaway Hex Crome is another ball that fits that bill. All things being equal I would rate these balls 1. wilson,2.Hex crome,3.u3, overall, the u3 might be a bit longer, the wilson has more feel and spin, but all things are not, the Crome can be found for as low as 19.00 x-outs, still higher then 12.50. That's my 2 cents, or my 1250 cents :).