MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

How about used shoes? Anyone got any used shoes they want to trade? LOL

Used gloves?

I wish I would have seen this last night. I could have offered the still damp with sweat glove I used last week during our match. It is extra crumpled in my bag. You can't get one like it in the store! It's also an XL so there'd be an extra inch at the end of each finger. Everyone needs a little reservoir tip.

City you left out your chip on #4. I can't describe it well since I didn't have a good view.

No one really scored well. I was getting up and down, and 2-frutting my way to 13 putts on the front. +1 coming into 7 and I shanked a chip that should have been a 10/10 up and downer. Tripled 8 on a shot that didn't miss the green by much and went into the hazard, then parred 9 on a 2-frutt.

PQ had a pretty good score going outside of two doubles on par 3s on the front. I didn't score great, but it ended up as an 11.7 diff (ESC 86), which moves my cap down a hair. I had a pretty good score going outside of two stupid mental mistakes and one blowup hole (#4). On 7 I hit one OB and made 8, and on 18 I chipped it instead of putted it and made 7 after taking 4 to get down from 10 yards from the pin. On that OB shot, I kind of tapped the ball somehow right before I swung, and I didn't stop my swing. The ball almost fell off the frigging tee during my backswing, so it's no wonder it was by far my worst tee shot on a day I hit no good tee shots. I only hit 5 GIR, so I can't complain about having some big scores in there. I hit enough good shots around the green that I saved as many as I lost.

I felt like I put up a decent score on a day I wasn't hitting the ball all that well. I had no fat or thin completely wasted shots and gave myself a few really good looks at birdie, but also left myself in places where I had to work really hard to make bogie. I didn't hit any drives that put me in good scoring positions.

My shot of the year, and best bunker shot I've ever hit, was on #14. I was in the front right bunker, and the pin was in the back left on the shelf there. So it's 35 yards, across all the green and up a slope to a tiered (big tier, but still) green. Hit it to 4 feet. Missed the putt, which is what I'm stewing on more than anything about that round. I really wanted the putt after that shot. One of you said something like "if you've never jarred one, that has to be your best bunker shot". I haven't done that, but even then I think that one is better than jarring a classic 10 yard bunker shot.

I saw Fluff Cowan last night. My son had a PGA Junior League match yesterday at Needwood, and it turns out Fluff's daughter is on the opposing team. They weren't in my son's group though, so I only saw him standing around afterwards. Somebody says he lives in Potomac.

My son played pretty well, but he and his partner lost their match 6.5 to 2.5. They didn't win any holes and tied 5. The other team just played too good. I think they were 2 over for the 9 holes.

You just haven't figured out a go-to on 10 yet, city. You'll get it. That's a great hole.

It looks like Sully's handicap can't drop fast enough at this point. Just a ho-hum -3.3 net differential yesterday.

How we are doing the #CCCP scoring is a bit odd I think. At Hobbits for example, an 87 is a 12.5 differential. So if you go out and shoot 87 every day, you are going to post a -2.5 to the #CCCP while maintaining an 11.9 handicap. A scratch player can only post 0s on the #CCCP without improving their cap. The leaderboard seems distributed at the moment, but it seems like the higher caps should have an advantage.

I saw Fluff Cowan last night. My son had a PGA Junior League match yesterday at Needwood, and it turns out Fluff's daughter is on the opposing team. They weren't in my son's group though, so I only saw him standing around afterwards. Somebody says he lives in Potomac.

My son played pretty well, but he and his partner lost their match 6.5 to 2.5. They didn't win any holes and tied 5. The other team just played too good. I think they were 2 over for the 9 holes.

He needs that driver ;).

Awesome man, so awesome that he is so into golf. Keep it going brother!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

On 12, Sully hit his drive left. I was helping PQ look for his ball right.

Then, I heard the distinctive sound of limbs being hit by a golf ball and then Sully laughing.

"what happened?"

"I got an all world bounce"

It bounced off the tree and ended up like 12 feet. Then he made it for bird.

On 4, I tugged my second shot left. I was on that giant hill and was sort of short-sided over a valley with the green running away from me. . .came out perfect, bumped into the rough, and rolled out to 5 feet.

Satellite view, and view from the side. . .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Then, I heard the distinctive sound of limbs being hit by a golf ball and then Sully laughing.

"what happened?"

On 4, I tugged my second shot left. I was on that giant hill and was sort of short-sided over a valley with the green running away from me. . .came out perfect, bumped into the rough, and rolled out to 5 feet.

Someone should make a book of all of the artwork that has been made on this thread.. "How I play golf" - by golfwrx

also- 290 on 13 & 14 - those are some good drives man

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Yesterday at Hobbits.

City: his "new" driver needs to have the COR tested. Pretty sure it's not legal, like the grooves on his 50. Also, he has at least one up-and-down that is hard to compute every round he plays. This time it was on 4. He was 20 yards left of the green on a SEVERE downhill lie in THICK rough. Front pin on a shelf. 4 feet. GTFO. One of only 5.

Sully: Didn't hit the ball great yesterday, but had some very nice up and downs. The sand shot he described on 14 was a shot any tour pro would've been very happy with. It was a low bullet with a lot of check after one hard bounce and a skip. Perfectly played.

Me: Wild off of the tee on 1, 2 and 3. However, hard lip on 2 from 20 feet for birdie and a great punch to 160 from DEEP in the woods. 3 frutt on 3. 350 yard 3 wood to 40 yards on 4, birdie. Long on 5, bare lie and tried to hit the hero shot and skulled it into the bunker across the green. Thinned bunker shot back to where I started (not quite as bad). Hit hero shot to 1". Mark it double, dude. Bogey the next hole after I hit the tee shot too far and behind a pine. Then hybrid-4-iron pin high on 7, leave birdie putt from 12 feet woefully short (which I did ALL day on anything outside of 20 feet). On 10, hit approach to 15 feet... SHORT. 12... hit a pwedge that is right at the flag and right over the flag, a back pin. I am in deep rough with no green. Hit it to 35 feet. 3-putt. Leave 20 footer for birdie 5 feet short on 12. Sandie on 13. Leave a birdie putt from 30 feet 5 feet short on 14. 15 I bogey after a 70 yard shot I hit 100 yards into a bunker. It was a real beauty. Leave a 25 footer for birdie 5 feet short on 16. Hit it to 5 feet on 17. Miss putt. Par 18. Came in with a 79 that felt like a 74 in terms of ball-striking and an 85 in terms of short game. Short game just stunk yesterday. 5 OVER on par 3s. That is horrible.

Hobbits is in great condition right now. That being said, they have little sand in the traps and it's going to take some getting used to. It's so thin in spots that shots can be played like a hybrid chip/blast. It brings thinnies to the table, but almost eliminates the fats.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

"what happened?"

That red dot needs to be moved to pin high and MUCH further left of the green. You're selling your legend short.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I forgot about that birdie on #12. That was excellent. I pulled it and should have been 10 yards long and left of the green. Instead, it glances a little branch or leaf and slightly changes course to the right and takes off a little speed. Ends up pin high 10 feet away.

you forgot about your birdie, and didnt mention it.... - no more posts for a hr as punishment

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Rum Pointe for me yesterday, another vendor outing. Just beautiful out there, its always breezy, but it was just enough to keep the mosquitos and green headed flies at bay, and not the gale force that it can be out there. I beat the pants off my competitors, had the best round I ever had there at 84, and could have been well lower. My Dad was with us, and he'd been bemoaning his putting woes, and I notice what he's doing on #1. He's got an Anser style like mine, and he's got the toe of the putter 45 degrees in the air. Once I told him that, he stood straighter over the ball with his eyes over it, got the putter level to the green surface, and made some great putts the rest of the day. I know VTNerf does the toe up thing, and others, and if you've got a Ketsch/Mallet type I think that works better, but on a blade putter I think it just makes for some erratic putting. Rum Pointe is in great shape, and if you can catch a slight breezy day it really keeps the insects from Assateague from drifting over.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Well I'll be at the Golfsmith up in the Balitmore area 11-3 Saturday. If any of y'all want to say hi.

I'm going to Baltimore then I ever thought I would be...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

If I told you to pull driver on 10, what would your aim line be, city?

Right rough, next to cart path. And if I put a YARD of draw on that ball, it's in the water hazard left side.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Had to shoot +3 or better to qualify for match play for the MD Am. At Elkridge. Never played there, but i think it's gettable. -4 was medalist.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Right rough, next to cart path. And if I put a YARD of draw on that ball, it's in the water hazard left side.

I think that's a 3 iron hole for you. The green isn't that difficult. It's not a hole that you need to be 120 out from to score. Lay back, hit it from 160, make par, move on.

The round before yesterday, I hit a ~210-220 club off the tee and had about 150 in, but was on the hill with the ball well above my feet. That's a tough shot too. Being further back on a flat spot isn't such a bad place to be. I wouldn't want to be coming in from 190 out, but 160-170 aint terrible if it removes all the trouble off the tee.

Too far left. This is from the tips. You legit have to aim at least at the path where it sort of bumps in ~75-100 yards from the tee. If your aim point is left of that OR you carry it more than like 250, you're heading for a landing in the left side of the fairway or worse. It'd be fun to get out there one evening with nobody behind us, and just bang drivers off that tee until you find a good line. You're pretty reliable at hitting a draw, so you can aim out right and move it back towards the fairway. It's probably still better for you to hit a 3 iron or whatever, but I just love hitting driver on that hole. Save for the Capitol Cup when I was just generally hitting the ball like a turd, I kill it on 10. I take driver and aim down the path every time.

So I hit the Fly-Z 230-240 all day yesterday. Meaning the driver experiment failed and it's just my swing that stinks. Same results with 3 different clubs now.

One thing I noticed yesterday, or re-remembered, was ball position. Not forward/backward, but in relation to the heel and toe of the club. I noticed City teeing it up more toward the toe, but I'm teeing it up dead center on the center of the face. And I was hitting it on the heel side all day. My bad swing is an out to in one, so that's to blame, but I wonder about the ball position contributes. If you sole the club and have the ball teed higher, if you raise the club to the level of the ball it's toward the heel more, right?

What are the rest of you doing on that? I'm just trying to figure out reasons why my driver is so much worse than everything else. Haven't hit a "great" drive in weeks, but I'm now regularly hitting really good shots with everything else including fairway woods. I know it's a tougher club, but I have no results with it instead of just reduced results with it.

Too far left. This is from the tips. You legit have to aim at least at the path where it sort of bumps in ~75-100 yards from the tee. If your aim point is left of that OR you carry it more than like 250, you're heading for a landing in the left side of the fairway or worse. It'd be fun to get out there one evening with nobody behind us, and just bang drivers off that tee until you find a good line. You're pretty reliable at hitting a draw, so you can aim out right and move it back towards the fairway. It's probably still better for you to hit a 3 iron or whatever, but I just love hitting driver on that hole. Save for the Capitol Cup when I was just generally hitting the ball like a turd, I kill it on 10. I take driver and aim down the path every time.

As far as I'm concerned, that line you drew. . .that ball is in the water.

And, that's pretty much the line I was talking about.

Also, if you push it a hair right on that line, or fade it, you're looking for a ball where there is woods, trees, long grass, bare spots, and you probably bounced off a tree with NO IDEA where to start looking for that ball distance wise, or left-right.

This isn't from "one round" of golf.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I made it out to Clustered Spires yesterday with a few co-workers. It was SLOOOOOW out there yesterday. We teed off on 10 and played 12 holes in 3-1/2 hours before having to call it quits due to darkness. There was a threesome in front of us that would spend way too long on the tees and greens from what I saw.

I made 8 pars in 12 holes which were a mix of nice up and downs and missed birdie opportunities (it would have been nice to see one drop). Overall, I feel good about my swing right now though. I have also been dropping a majority of 4-6 foot par savers which are definitely momentum boosters throughout a round.

I made one double yesterday on the par 3 13th. The wind ate up my tee shot and I was in the front bunker. There was like no sand at all in the bunker and I caught way too much ball which resulted in it airmailing the green. I remembered this later in the round and made a nice up and down from the bunker on the par 3 2nd. I'll remember this for future rounds there as well.

The weather last night was perfect!

So I hit the Fly-Z 230-240 all day yesterday. Meaning the driver experiment failed and it's just my swing that stinks. Same results with 3 different clubs now.

One thing I noticed yesterday, or re-remembered, was ball position. Not forward/backward, but in relation to the heel and toe of the club. I noticed City teeing it up more toward the toe, but I'm teeing it up dead center on the center of the face. And I was hitting it on the heel side all day. My bad swing is an out to in one, so that's to blame, but I wonder about the ball position contributes. If you sole the club and have the ball teed higher, if you raise the club to the level of the ball it's toward the heel more, right?

What are the rest of you doing on that? I'm just trying to figure out reasons why my driver is so much worse than everything else. Haven't hit a "great" drive in weeks, but I'm now regularly hitting really good shots with everything else including fairway woods. I know it's a tougher club, but I have no results with it instead of just reduced results with it.

I usually ground the driver at address and put the ball dead in the center of the face. Usually I hit center of face, but it is an issue of face to path relationship that causes issues. My off center misses, which tend to be on the heel, are just due to me getting handsy (which my golf coach yesterday was working with me on).

That ball ain't in the water. That's a 250 carry. You could carry it another 20 on that line and end up in the left rough at the absolute worst. That's from the tips, too. Move up a box, and you have to aim a bit further right. I'm definitely not saying it's the play for you. I just think it would be fun to get you on that tee with 5-10 balls, and just get the feeling of smashing some drivers trying to find a line. At the end of the day, regardless of what club it is, you just have to find a club/line that you feel good about when you stand on that tee. It sounds like you still aren't there yet. Once you find it, you'll feel so liberated. I've played it a $hit ton of times now, and I think the Cap Cup is the only time I've hit a drive out of play, and those were like 50+ yard pull-draws.

IMO, that line is crazy even for you. You hit a pretty reliable straight ball or slight draw, but IIRC your miss is a push not a hook. With that line, a minor 10-20 yard push is going to leave you in trouble and chipping it laterally back in to the fairway. It just seems like a ton of risk.