2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I love that Bangas hasn't found anyone in California to talk about the fatberg with.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Have not played in 3 weeks! Unacceptable

Join the club... haven't hit a ball since the UMD event.

Fun split route today: Kearneysville, WV until 1:30. Just finished driving to Shippensburg, PA to get ready for pickups.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

I want to hear City's poop story from the perspective of the VP he emailed.

"2017-09-14 14:27 - Dear Diary: CityGame emailed me, AGAIN, after he once more could not find a space to poop when he wanted. Doesn't he know I'm a damn VP, and not a janitor? I don't give a damn about his bowel movements. I'll get Lois to call him and tell him whatever he wants to hear so he stops freaking bothering me. I swear to god I'm going to fire that weirdo if he bugs me with this one more time. Now excuse me, I have to go take a 25 minute conference call in my private bathroom."

Because if it's not reachable in 2 for you, pq, it's probably not reachable in 3 by anyone else in the hive.

One of my golf buddies in high school used to close the women's bathroom at the course we worked at, and use it to take a $hit. He also often took his shirt off and hung it over the stall wall or door when dumping.

i feel like you've told this story before.

and i shudder at the implications.

if we've reached a point where fabb is telling us about his buddy's shirt-off dump stories FOR THE SECOND TIME... whelp, might be time to pack up shop. nothing else in this thread can be discussed. everything that can be covered, has been covered.

giphy.gif

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I HATE that single stall bathrooms are labeled men's and women's. I ignore it sometimes

you should see the dirty looks i get at the airport when i use the FAMILY bathroom. i mean, a dad and his son are a family, right? it's not reserved for women families only?

this also happened at a movie theater recently. the woman who gave me and my boy the WTF look when I came out went in right after me.

by herself.

my revenge was what she had to endure once she got in there. the movie theater's popcorn did not agree with my boy's stomach, at all. definitely would have torn through a package of baby wipes had they been available.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

What's wrong with Par 5s that aren't reachable in two? I don't get it. That's why it's a Par 5.

Already stated. Insignificant strategic value, compared to it being reachable or a long 4 instead. Waste of land, and maintenance dollars.

Don't go with waste of land. Long Par 4s are a waste of land when they can be short. How about we just have executive courses, or just play golf in simulators from now on? Insignificant strategic value? I can't tell if you're trolling. So having to hit the ball well for 3 instead of 2 shots Is insignificant strategic value? Maybe you could argue less significant, I guess, but that's not always true if you consider desired approach distances, and angle to green/pin. I don't know if I can abide.

Don't ever go play Bedford Springs. A bunch of unreachable Par 5s.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Gotta be honest, this is the thread upset of the year so far.

Longest hitter in the thread loves long Par 5s and doesnt know if he can abide people who prefer mostly reachable Par 5s.

giphy.gif

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Gotta be honest, this is the thread upset of the year so far.

Longest hitter in the thread loves long Par 5s and doesnt know if he can abide people who prefer mostly reachable Par 5s.

giphy.gif

Well, I don't have a problem with preferring Par 5s are reachable in 2. I certainly fall into that category. But to say 3 shoters are of insignificant strategic value and a waste of land is a bridge too far.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I don't really get any sort of natural disdain for a true 3 shotter. It's like saying you think 8/10 par 4s should be driveable.

Abb's being way too general about his strategic comments. Very few 3 shotters are really just 600 yard straight holes.

From the back two tees, the 18th at Worthington is a 3 shotter and its a very strategic hole (moreso before they shrank that bunker). There's plenty of 2 shot par 5s that are very much not strategic. The 12th at Pine Ridge is a reachable 5 and it's the worst hole on the course - "hit driver, try to hit the green". PR5 is much more strategic and still a 3 shotter.

BP13 is a strategic 3 shotter. The play over the fairway bunker is riskier but opens up the green. The bail out right gives a bad look.

The 15th at Hobbits is reachable from the whites and not from the way backs. It's a way better hole from the way backs. You need to hit more good shots and put yourself in position to have an angle in, starting from the tee. From the whites, there's no decisions at all.

The 8th at Hobbits is a 3 shot from way back and reachable from the blues. I think it plays equally well from both tees. From the back tees, the fairway bunkers put questions to you on the second shot. From the blue tees, the tee shot does.

In short, I don't have any idea what Abb is talking about.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What's wrong with Par 5s that aren't reachable in two? I don't get it. That's why it's a Par 5.

Already stated. Insignificant strategic value, compared to it being reachable or a long 4 instead. Waste of land, and maintenance dollars.

Don't go with waste of land. Long Par 4s are a waste of land when they can be short. How about we just have executive courses, or just play golf in simulators from now on? Insignificant strategic value? I can't tell if you're trolling. So having to hit the ball well for 3 instead of 2 shots Is insignificant strategic value? Maybe you could argue less significant, I guess, but that's not always true if you consider desired approach distances, and angle to green/pin. I don't know if I can abide.

Don't ever go play Bedford Springs. A bunch of unreachable Par 5s.

Long vs. short par 4s isn't the same thing. Now you're trolling.

Let's say you've got to hit a driver, and a long shot to get in position on a 3-shotter. That's less difficult than having to hit a driver and a long shot to hit a GIR on a long 4. You can get into a serviceable position on a long 5 without hitting 2 very good shots. Adding the addition of a wedge or short iron shot to complete the GIR on a long 5 isn't some great novel challenge.

In general, I'd rather a long 5 just be a long 4 instead. I think a lot of courses just force the 4 par 3s, 4 par 5s, 10 par 4s combo, rather than just putting out the best golf course they can.

The 15th at hobbits stinks from the way backs (the real black tee box). It's basically dead straight and unreachable. You hit a driver (doesn't matter if you hit the fairway), then a long club to lay up, and a wedge onto the green. Neither of the first two shots has to be placed very well to end up hitting a wedge or short iron into the green.

The 15th at hobbits stinks from the way backs (the real black tee box). It's basically dead straight and unreachable. You hit a driver (doesn't matter if you hit the fairway), then a long club to lay up, and a wedge onto the green. Neither of the first two shots has to be placed very well to end up hitting a wedge or short iron into the green.

It actually calls for a bit of a left to right shot to be sure you don't have tree trouble on the second d shot, and you get a nice lie from the right side of fairway. And it's reachable in two.

Cameron Newport, 34"

The only way the 15th is strategically interesting from the back tees is if you hit your tee ball 70 yards left, over the trees, and onto the 14th hole.

And make Par. You're welcome.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Agreed. Par 5s reachable in two should be as rare as par 4s reachable in one.

I think reachable par 5s are something golfers have only come to expect in the modern equipment era. Growing up playing golf, I can remember hitting one par 5 in two, and can't think of many of my playing partners ever doing it. If a hole was much over 500 yards, most people didn't tee up their balata ball and hit their steel shafted driver that was the size of a modern 3 wood 260+ yards; and then knock their perfectly struck steel shafted 3 wood on the green. It just never happened. No one expected it to happen. Now we take our giant graphite shafted driver and hit a modern ball 260 regularly (except Sully), and 280 if you catch it well. Then you hit a 5 wood, hybrid (that didn't exist back in the day), or long iron to the green. That was never the intent of a par 5. And it's why many par 5s are handicapped as the most difficult holes - most average golfers can't hit three decent shots in a row to get a GIR. But for many people here, it just means you get to screw up your drive or second shot and still have a good chance of a GIR.

Kent, what were the par 5s like with the persimmon woods and feathery balls?

I might look into the CB's or go back to AP2's. Never found Mizuno irons to my liking.

Agreed. Par 5s reachable in two should be as rare as par 4s reachable in one.

I think reachable par 5s are something golfers have only come to expect in the modern equipment era. Growing up playing golf, I can remember hitting one par 5 in two, and can't think of many of my playing partners ever doing it. If a hole was much over 500 yards, most people didn't tee up their balata ball and hit their steel shafted driver that was the size of a modern 3 wood 260+ yards; and then knock their perfectly struck steel shafted 3 wood on the green. It just never happened. No one expected it to happen. Now we take our giant graphite shafted driver and hit a modern ball 260 regularly (except Sully), and 280 if you catch it well. Then you hit a 5 wood, hybrid (that didn't exist back in the day), or long iron to the green. That was never the intent of a par 5. And it's why many par 5s are handicapped as the most difficult holes - most average golfers can't hit three decent shots in a row to get a GIR. But for many people here, it just means you get to screw up your drive or second shot and still have a good chance of a GIR.

Kent, what were the par 5s like with the persimmon woods and feathery balls?

How about that time you hit a nice low iron into the green that rolled up perfectly for eagle? #17 oak creek

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

The first two posts by RRFireblade in this thread are f*cking gold. Almost a perfect distillation of how I think about the game.

"it's ultimately a constant game of chasing after it instead of having it."

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green