-cheese and veggies

dinner

-crab cake

-roast beef carving station

-baked tater

-corn

-asparagus

-rolls

open bar the entire time, and the ice cream is free the entire time.

Anyone looking to play tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon?

Also 20% your Global Golf order with code: tourrewards

This works with final clearance too.

Just got 70 bucks off total on a pair of Biom Hybrids, total with shipping under 100.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Tiger Woods tournament cut from Congressional in 2018/2020 - couldn't find a title sponsor.

Holy cow. Cant (of course I can) believe that golf is in a place where a tournament with his name attached cant find a sponsor.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Stroke Play Flight 2

Playing from the white tees. We have six of The Hive's bro's duking it out for the top spot in a net competition. Strokes in parenthesis.

Golfer827 (34)

Gmen (18)

davechen (16)

dagoose (15)

endlesswinter (13)

AndyIdon'trememberhisgolfwrxname (12)

handicapping.....get it?......the field:

Look, 827 is getting almost twice as many pops as anyone here. If he can limit the damage....and there is no limit on the damage in this event....he'll win. He put up some great net birds at the UMD event, but has consistency issues. Gmen is in the same vein. The one time I've played with him he's had an issue with some untimely fades. That's a problem at Blue Mash. 10/11/12 will be tough if those pop up.

davechen from the white tees is in his wheelhouse. Keeps the ball in front of him, and 6000 yards is just right, but if any of dagoose, endless, or andy play their best round, they'll be tough to beat.

Looking through the grint scoring records, Andy has had the best form as of late. Lots of scores in the 80's. endless and dagoose have put up good numbers at times, but the inconsistency makes it hard for me to take them here. davechen has a few combined 9-hole scores that would get the job done...but the recent 18 holes might not get him over the line. I think 827 plays smart golf on Sunday, but it's not quite enough as Andy takes the $.

baddomes pick: Andy 1st, 827 2nd

do you have flight 1 info and or start times?

Stroke Play Flight 1

Playing from the blue tees. We have seven of The Hive's bro's duking it out for the top spot in a net competition. Strokes in parenthesis.

Sullgolf (16)

Meat MikeF (bayrat’s buddy. I don’t think he’s on WRX?) (12)

Altsean (12)

Siegel (12)

Mtn (11)

Ahoop (11)

Top.h (playing as a guest, not eligible for flight money) (10)

This is a really fun flight. Couple things stand out when viewing as a whole: Lots of pairity here. Everyone is a good match when it comes to ability level. Everyone’s got great and not-so-great scores in their grint scoring record this year…and I’m seeing some people riding different parts of the “golf game wave” right now.

First things first: Glad to see top.h making it out for an event. We’re hoping he has a good enough time to make this the first event of many with The Hive.

Altsean plays well at the USNA…the key for him will be to convince himself that is playing there instead of Blue Mash on Sunday. He’s literally been in the 80’s (or better) at USNA 9 out of the last 10 rounds or so. Away from there? It’s less clear.

Sull is an enigma. Who shows up?

This guy: uvqx-4r89rvoQGTXXBtD7hb-YzbHjjOBkZWMA7DPtpDa2F42WdeV6R26H9GTfm1o4cvM2SZ3B5EjRlQ80nwgrijFHgGAs_c2HGgV-GWOAv2w9YAmfB7_vB5vVmBt3zVY3Q86f38LOnwlE9H8bPiaicGY2gK6ys3nYKYsGUpOxIjLVRbnkGmYCZc6B92IlDvjjh6F2tRJyXZJJrAhDLOcRDplAljuPRLCFg9oz2IYURw41lUcXJ-C-OIBJl8zBbEdP6keUqQepCE-S1c0f7G5m9yoJZ1FIW4pf7hT-dA4SniigUQwQW1rTFSuvbfXLYWm8LClziM8FbaskTAY6MzzavCKPOflOpaSn3WdZr-ukY_AGYiBd6Ce6GbbQ8XC4PCgdVdtqklUp2oA2y4wa0Q3eOVfDMu0mJREcFiYc6e-GUo24g7UofLG7VcL1R0hfNqfMuRfYnzUF4wB0Wv3vbQBVH9zIFCliBvDrTvDf_lh5rhAvppFgsIS82mXDOeiDXmp2eUMv5WkNgE-aHxHyLCWe5-sfXs9iJwNRbrA7628YObD5wSZQ0-TCR9h57X1jDyW4Ea2S3iaYCRaqx06iw-mwWg632kUS2RBBcWCjpsBGevG081BhjiWyoqjYGbHpZwPMskx98IVmWV1jl5HsgLOTl7lKryJwBFKLyM=w885-h958-no-tmp.jpg

Or this guy? wgUTwsFpDQlToAcwjT0AmrjO6_7xU3AveRemexBfR-Mg3o4xO05Z0101oyX8ioOnvRGngqMzTCc3Pyvh0h8-RlJaZFNvXXEytvLLYQ7rS6FEyLgwklYkfspeMAmfZ-ykGxEYz10-O2XRv1UurvVnrUQOz2Ta1gaP3oMW38t-5J9gzTiqZyCjJ_90H04Z3TkDgr-Hnd9w1CL7mZazRkbTvw5CUUhb-LKYwp6Cl0QYGdO-tqyc8JYqquYdsqCEsPSqITbpollM_uZbdC9fsXozLclFcRhCM-f2K579ENxurzqLWKHpFbkBZnpKbFWDu0nhn6LDAiJn8fj73XOnqLMVlUOgpcy7xpJiNrcI4kPuNnMxg8DMz3r557ilAIpuWHDgNvJbtik7L-UkUsHl2qlV90eN2UcLBJtMmxvVakWIitwsyqiS19Zm3SA7d-aiZeAq-lH_ZTfEYQC52nicmdLEfYGiRAx1AGPyudwt0pd4Gfaw8jR1kdTv-eSCUVCwGYxn2eWnKbcbkVef-bo9hdM6ac7J0B1zAcigNe2DP71cvVhd9EBWq4zoOzmWwXNvpvYjoFAXwnJBGuuI_x5pPUJyPPIRlZhgf9Tt6V6r1sOBN2Bx8Jb_slw1usjwtWAQpJKlqANWFrP5sNKOjPxfCLTFtkYYdvQ10xYBmVc=w816-h958-no-tmp.jpg

Meat MikeF – Handicap jumped almost a stroke and a half since the last revision, so it’s tough to pick him here. However, handicaps don’t go up forever. And guys who turn it around are the ones that walk away with cash.

Mtn/Siegel/ahoop – These are all DC guys (mtn moved, but stay with me here), so you know they’ve seen some s*** in their lives. Living in the big city, having to fight and scratch for everything they’ve got. You think a little water hazard is going to phase them? Do you even know how hard it is to find street parking on a Thursday after work, bro?

Siegel has been under 80 this summer a couple of times, so he can put the ball in the hole. His other scores haven’t been great though. Put this guy in the “golf-swing-should-consistently-produce-better-results-than-it-does” hall of fame. I played with him at the red tee, and he shot +7. If he avoids a big number, he’s right in it.

Mtn/ahoop/sull all played Blue Mash earlier this month, so we can use some (limited) data to draw (distinct and concrete) conclusions:

Ahoop played well. No other way to describe it. And it’s not a flash in the pan. The guy is playing the best of anyone in this flight right now. Last two rounds are the 81 at Blue Mash and a career-best 75 at EPP. Big thing for him is his putter. It’s let him down earlier in the year, but he may have it figured out.

Sull needs to tighten up his tee to green game and get through the front 9. Word on the street is he’s hitting the ball harder than he has been, and that tells me he’s got confidence in his swing.

Mtn shot 90 without hitting a Fairway or Green and zero putts. Short game is TIGHT. If he can keep the ball in front of him he’s going to have a day. It’ll be a grind-fest, but if he stays focused, he’s more than capable of winning.

At the end of the day, I can’t overlook the way ahoop is playing, and the amount of strokes a seemingly confident sullgolf is getting. This one is tough.

baddomes pick: Sull – 1st, ahoop 2nd.

Bonus baddomes prediction: I think net 60-something wins the flight.

Stroke Play Flight 1

Playing from the blue tees. We have seven of The Hive's bro's duking it out for the top spot in a net competition. Strokes in parenthesis.

Sullgolf (16)

Meat MikeF (bayrat’s buddy. I don’t think he’s on WRX?) (12)

Altsean (12)

Siegel (12)

Mtn (11)

Ahoop (11)

Top.h (playing as a guest, not eligible for flight money) (10)

This is a really fun flight. Couple things stand out when viewing as a whole: Lots of pairity here. Everyone is a good match when it comes to ability level. Everyone’s got great and not-so-great scores in their grint scoring record this year…and I’m seeing some people riding different parts of the “golf game wave” right now.

First things first: Glad to see top.h making it out for an event. We’re hoping he has a good enough time to make this the first event of many with The Hive.

Altsean plays well at the USNA…the key for him will be to convince himself that is playing there instead of Blue Mash on Sunday. He’s literally been in the 80’s (or better) at USNA 9 out of the last 10 rounds or so. Away from there? It’s less clear.

Sull is an enigma. Who shows up?

This guy: uvqx-4r89rvoQGTXXBtD7hb-YzbHjjOBkZWMA7DPtpDa2F42WdeV6R26H9GTfm1o4cvM2SZ3B5EjRlQ80nwgrijFHgGAs_c2HGgV-GWOAv2w9YAmfB7_vB5vVmBt3zVY3Q86f38LOnwlE9H8bPiaicGY2gK6ys3nYKYsGUpOxIjLVRbnkGmYCZc6B92IlDvjjh6F2tRJyXZJJrAhDLOcRDplAljuPRLCFg9oz2IYURw41lUcXJ-C-OIBJl8zBbEdP6keUqQepCE-S1c0f7G5m9yoJZ1FIW4pf7hT-dA4SniigUQwQW1rTFSuvbfXLYWm8LClziM8FbaskTAY6MzzavCKPOflOpaSn3WdZr-ukY_AGYiBd6Ce6GbbQ8XC4PCgdVdtqklUp2oA2y4wa0Q3eOVfDMu0mJREcFiYc6e-GUo24g7UofLG7VcL1R0hfNqfMuRfYnzUF4wB0Wv3vbQBVH9zIFCliBvDrTvDf_lh5rhAvppFgsIS82mXDOeiDXmp2eUMv5WkNgE-aHxHyLCWe5-sfXs9iJwNRbrA7628YObD5wSZQ0-TCR9h57X1jDyW4Ea2S3iaYCRaqx06iw-mwWg632kUS2RBBcWCjpsBGevG081BhjiWyoqjYGbHpZwPMskx98IVmWV1jl5HsgLOTl7lKryJwBFKLyM=w885-h958-no-tmp.jpg

Or this guy? wgUTwsFpDQlToAcwjT0AmrjO6_7xU3AveRemexBfR-Mg3o4xO05Z0101oyX8ioOnvRGngqMzTCc3Pyvh0h8-RlJaZFNvXXEytvLLYQ7rS6FEyLgwklYkfspeMAmfZ-ykGxEYz10-O2XRv1UurvVnrUQOz2Ta1gaP3oMW38t-5J9gzTiqZyCjJ_90H04Z3TkDgr-Hnd9w1CL7mZazRkbTvw5CUUhb-LKYwp6Cl0QYGdO-tqyc8JYqquYdsqCEsPSqITbpollM_uZbdC9fsXozLclFcRhCM-f2K579ENxurzqLWKHpFbkBZnpKbFWDu0nhn6LDAiJn8fj73XOnqLMVlUOgpcy7xpJiNrcI4kPuNnMxg8DMz3r557ilAIpuWHDgNvJbtik7L-UkUsHl2qlV90eN2UcLBJtMmxvVakWIitwsyqiS19Zm3SA7d-aiZeAq-lH_ZTfEYQC52nicmdLEfYGiRAx1AGPyudwt0pd4Gfaw8jR1kdTv-eSCUVCwGYxn2eWnKbcbkVef-bo9hdM6ac7J0B1zAcigNe2DP71cvVhd9EBWq4zoOzmWwXNvpvYjoFAXwnJBGuuI_x5pPUJyPPIRlZhgf9Tt6V6r1sOBN2Bx8Jb_slw1usjwtWAQpJKlqANWFrP5sNKOjPxfCLTFtkYYdvQ10xYBmVc=w816-h958-no-tmp.jpg

Meat MikeF – Handicap jumped almost a stroke and a half since the last revision, so it’s tough to pick him here. However, handicaps don’t go up forever. And guys who turn it around are the ones that walk away with cash.

Mtn/Siegel/ahoop – These are all DC guys (mtn moved, but stay with me here), so you know they’ve seen some s*** in their lives. Living in the big city, having to fight and scratch for everything they’ve got. You think a little water hazard is going to phase them? Do you even know how hard it is to find street parking on a Thursday after work, bro?

Siegel has been under 80 this summer a couple of times, so he can put the ball in the hole. His other scores haven’t been great though. Put this guy in the “golf-swing-should-consistently-produce-better-results-than-it-does” hall of fame. I played with him at the red tee, and he shot +7. If he avoids a big number, he’s right in it.

Mtn/ahoop/sull all played Blue Mash earlier this month, so we can use some (limited) data to draw (distinct and concrete) conclusions:

Ahoop played well. No other way to describe it. And it’s not a flash in the pan. The guy is playing the best of anyone in this flight right now. Last two rounds are the 81 at Blue Mash and a career-best 75 at EPP. Big thing for him is his putter. It’s let him down earlier in the year, but he may have it figured out.

Sull needs to tighten up his tee to green game and get through the front 9. Word on the street is he’s hitting the ball harder than he has been, and that tells me he’s got confidence in his swing.

Mtn shot 90 without hitting a Fairway or Green and zero putts. Short game is TIGHT. If he can keep the ball in front of him he’s going to have a day. It’ll be a grind-fest, but if he stays focused, he’s more than capable of winning.

At the end of the day, I can’t overlook the way ahoop is playing, and the amount of strokes a seemingly confident sullgolf is getting. This one is tough.

baddomes pick: Sull – 1st, ahoop 2nd.

Bonus baddomes prediction: I think net 60-something wins the flight.

super excited to get out for this one.

not so super excited about 30% FIR's in my last two rounds. Driver has fallen off completely. woo

Tiger Woods tournament cut from Congressional in 2018/2020 - couldn't find a title sponsor.

Holy cow. Cant (of course I can) believe that golf is in a place where a tournament with his name attached cant find a sponsor.

Tiger has never embraced it like Jack did at Muirfield and Arnie at Bay Hill (and Byron Nelson at Colonial). Also, Tiger's foundation is now also associated with the LA/Riv event, so he is going to be even less engaged.

Also, I suspect that the Tour wasn't really leaning into it. They have to dump 2 or 3 tournaments from the schedule in '19 anyway

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Preamble

Long recap from Caves yesterday. Any hole numbers I use in the recap are the true hole numbers. We played the back first, though.

Let me tell you right off the bat. . .the end of this recap gets a little negative. I could have just cut it all off and left it at that, but I'm not going to come in here, and pimp it all up if I don't really feel that way. Y'all know me enough by now.

Hopefully, you're just fatigued by the time you get there.

Begin.

So a few years back, I went to see the International Crown at Caves, and I've wanted to play it ever since. It was beautiful that day and looked really fun.

So, anyway. . .

Aesthetics.

This is a beautiful part of the state. When you get just a little north of Baltimore, it's not like the close environs of DC. It gets rural pretty quickly. It's horse country. It's hilly. I used to bike out there all the time and had friends that used to live a couple miles from the course.

C.Free : you know there's a road coming in called the Velvet Valley? tee-hee

Me : Yeah, a couple of my friends used to live there.

C.Free : tee-hee

Me : They're lesbians.

C.Free : tee-hee-hee-hee

So, the course really uses the land well. You know something that is really beautiful. . .when trees are all "skirted" to the same height. That's one of the things that makes Augusta look so nice. This isn't my picture, but this is Caves.

Capture.png

So, you get to see through all these stands of trees to other holes. and up and down slopes. On top of that, they have beautiful grasses there, they keep it really green. It plays down a hill, then back up. It's an amazing property. This is the best aspect of this golf course. It's the "prettiest" golf course I've ever played. Even the range had all these nice mown patterns and angles, and flags all over the place. Easily the coolest looking range I've ever been on. And I was striping it. Can't tell you how good I felt with the driver ON THE RANGE.

I don't know if there's another putting green for the members, but the putting green was a total turd. Weird.

Play.

Greens : aces. Had some really fun chips, some tough putts. Broke my 3-putt streak at about 123 holes after chipping above the hole on a par 3. They were fast, not superfast, but we all had some down hill putts run out 8-10+ feet past the hole. But, they were also rolling great and we all ran in some long stuff, too. Fabb made back to back 20 footers for par/birdie on 14/15 that were both great putts. C.Free went back to back 15 footers on 3/4 for par saves (IIRC).

Tee-to-green : Honestly, I'm not going to give super high marks here. First of all, I drove the ball VERY POORLY, especially on the front (for us) and that can affect one's opinion, but I was also keyed into Abb's play, who was driving it very well and watched C.Free and Abb-In-Law play from the whites. This course was built in 1991 and it's of that time. You'd call this target golf, for sure. I felt like we played the course at a good distance for us (Abb shot 76. I, at least, shot 39 on the front, so I had a little something going on from time to time) but I never felt like the course asked anything of us besides, "hit a good shot down the middle". I just don't think, "thread it between two fairway bunkers" makes very interesting holes.

There's a "drivable" par 4 on the back (14) that is so protected from trees and bunkers at 30/40/60 yards out that you'd have to be fool to try it. Meanwhile, there's a wide open landing area 200 yards out that leaves 85 yards in.

It's POSSIBLE that hole 11 provides the temptation to carry a bunker (if we were up a tee), but essentially, there's a wide open area away from that bunker, and wide open spots that allow for a second shot anywhere from 140-50 yards out with no trouble either side. There's more to think about on any number of par 5's in the area.

hole 1 is a downhiller. . .thread it between the bunkers and then shoot for the green. Hole 2 is a short 4 that might provide some temptation to crank a driver and have a look down the green, but the "lay up" tee shot is pretty easy and provides an easy shot into the green. Hole 3 is a par 5 that has water right and you can cut off a little distance if you bring the water into play, but the angle into the green is much better from the left. If you go right, it's all carry in, and there's a big bunker on your line. I found this kind of thing to be true all day. I found the holes to just play really straight, if that makes sense.

I don't feel they really used the elevation enough. There's down hill and uphill, but where is the drive that can catch a power alley and run like h3ll? Where's the option to carry some trees that are 20 feet below you on a dogleg (or in the middle of the fairway like PoSho 10)? Where are the spots where you can disappear a ball over a mound and see it running out? Where's a real "alps style" hole? Even the uphill 18th is less uphill than pleny of other holes in the area. Where's the climb to a tee box on the course that is almost rude and leaves you winded? Where's the imagination in the course?

If you put some of these holes on Waverly or Hampshire Greens and surrounded them with homes, they wouldn't be out of place. Those are the types of holes they feel like.

However, there are some total winners : hole 9 has a creek cutting across it from left to right and creates a sort of "Cape Hole". Very challenging uphill shot from there. Nasty looking right all the way up the hole.

Hole 18 has a big deep bunker right in front of the green (which I found) but you can't go too deep there because there are bunkers behind the green (which I found) and the slopes severely from the back to the front.

That all said. . .the par 3's are all AMAZING. The 12th is a long down hiller with a green that lays lightly in the middle of a hillside, with bunkers below and favors a draw. 15 favors a fade and plays uphill, well-guarded. The 4th is 200 yard carry over water, very narrow front to back, but you can get up and down from the back (as Abb and I proved). Abb-In-Law had about a 110 foot putt. Hole 8 is a pretty downhiller over the grasses with a water hazard short right that kind of forced one to play away from. Abb and I were both long left (me, a LOT long left. Abb, only a little).

Games.

It was clear early on that Abb came to play. He was pounding it, getting up and down, sinking putts. Very good day of golf from Fabb.

I was dog-crap. First day I played with the new driver. It did NOT go well. Wasn't the driver's fault -- the swings were bad -- but I just had no confidence standing over it. I hit 4/5 snap hooks. I've 4/5 drives like that total since about April. If it goes bad today at the course, the Ping is going back in the bag through the Hive Stroke Play. Only 1 3-putt and it was disappointing. It came after missing a par 3 short and chipping past the hole.

Abb-in-law from yesterday would have beat Abb-In-Law from Pinehurt 10 & 8. Much better ball striking. Birdied the 18th, which I tripled.

C.Free played his game. Plenty of nice high draws. Sank a few putts over 10 feet. We just didn't have a game going on and C.Free shines when there's a game on.

Staff.

Staff and caddies were PRIMO. I was actually -- almost -- on the same page as the caddie reading putts. Very good green reader. Liked them both.

Showers.

Obscene. Literally and figureatively. I figure the cost for the day was like a third for greens fees, a third for caddies, and a third for water.

Lastly, the Experience.

This is where life and golf and your values and all that stuff comes crashing together. You gotta realize. . .this is 90% just me, because I have certain prejudices and attitudes, etc. Nothing anyone actually did leads to this kind of thing. . .

This is the most posh golf course I've ever played. I go into the locker room to change my shoes and you know who has lockers there. . .Kevin Planck, Steve Bisciotti, Fazio, not to mention all the corporate lockers. . .KPMG, T. Rowe Price, etc etc etc. These are billionaires (probably not Fazio). Not just the local rich guys.

Look, "My" tournament -- the 7's -- is at arguably the worst course in Maryland. This is not an accident. My favorite golf memories from this year were playing as a 7-some at Little Bennett, hanging around the 18th green at Whiskey Creek and the post-gaming at Northwest, picking teams with the guy wearing work-boots at my Dad's course in Maine, seeing MeatMike again at Waverly, winning some money at my club in tournaments, and meeting new golf buddies in the Saturday games. That's the kind of stuff I care about. We didn't even have a game yesterday and I was going to suggest it on the first tee, but the vibe was just sort of like, "nah. Just go and enjoy the course."

By way of comparison. . .you ever eat at a REALLY nice restaurant, and I don't mean like a steakhouse (which are nice, but not what I'm getting at), but a "fancy" place where maybe you don't HAVE to wear a jacket, but everyone else is? And you might be getting out of there at 150-200 a head (in BALTIMORE!!) Doesn't matter if you have or haven't, but you can probably imagine it's not the kind of place where you really feel like cutting loose, pounding beers, eating with your hands, and being loud, or even laughing a lot? If you had to bet on whether you were going to have a better time with your pals at a place like that or a corner bar with wings and burgers, which one would you pick?

For instance, C.Free was confiding in me during the round that he could smell his own Word not allowed. I busted out some Hannibal Lechter, "I see. I myself cannot. You use Evian skin cream, and sometimes you wear L'Air du Temps, but not today." In reality, I mangled the quote, but the idea was there. It was pretty swampy out there. (C.Free said he was going to do a handstand in the shower to get it clean.)

So, one time I was fixing a ball mark near him on the green and I say to him sotto voce, "oh, yeah, I can smell your Word not allowed too".

Well, maybe I don't want to say that sotto voce. Maybe I want to share that thought with the group. This isn't the kind of place where I feel like sharing that with the group. And, it's not the group's fault. It's the venue.

The staff was chill enough so that I didn't feel like I was walking on eggshells or anything, but, the long and short of it is that I just don't feel relaxed at a place like that AND MOREOVER, I don't WANT to feel relaxed at a place like that. The very act of belonging to a place like Caves is flaunting it a little to me. Not like it was gaudy or that there are Bentley's stacked up in the parking lot, but I really don't care about being around the playgrounds of the wealthy. And, you know what? I think Steve Bisciotti is a pr1ck. I don't want to be around the places they're around any more than they want to be some of the places I enjoy.

1w2rau.jpg

"well, you should have known that going in city."

Maybe, maybe not. When I first saw the place, I actually came away thinking it was really "golfy". Like, yeah, I knew it was exclusive and for the rich, but it was just a golf course; No tennis. No pool. So, I figure it's the muckety-mucks around Baltimore who just really dig golf. For instance, I have no interest in playing Congressional. I wasn't interested in getting on any fancy course. I was interested in getting on Caves Valley.

There was a tee time at 8. We were next off the tee at 9. What? Where are the group of golfers busting each other's balls out there? Where's the hum of activity on a Sunday morning? It just doesn't mesh with what I enjoy about golf. I found it, to put it bluntly, a "sterile" golf experience.

Overall, a banner day. Great memories. I really did like playing the course. loved the land and the look. I'm just a d@mned Word not allowedhole when it comes to some of this stuff. Great to get out there with Fabb and Freezy. I will remember it as long as I'm golfing.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wednesday would work.

Either Turf or Waverly. Between 2:30 and 3:00 is best. Let me know and if anyone else wants to jump in on that, let me know.

If it's not one of those places, I'm out. I've basically spent my non-dues budget for the month, and I have pre-paid rounds at Waverly.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Lunch :

It was good, not great. I liked the turkey. I told the guy to cut me off some skin.

I went heavy on wings, which were weak. Not good buffalo sauce, not fried/crispy. Soggy skin, but I still 8 about 8 because I like sucking chicken off the bone so much no matter what. They were 1/10 on wings, but 1/10 on wings is like 6/10 on the world food scale.

I didn't get a hamburger or hot dog. They looked good but I got resentful because some dude goes, "best burgers in town." And, I'm thinking, "He probably means 'Baltimore' and you might as well raise your hand and say, 'I never eat anywhere, else.'."

I liked the PB&J&B. It was the most quirky thing I experienced on the club all day.

I really wanted to chug another beer, but I wasn't really paying for lunch so I didn't want to toss that in.

Desserts were very good and I'm usually not a dessert guy, but tiny little PB/Chocolate bars, caramelly cookies, macaroons, sugar cookies, etc.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Stroke Play Champ Flight

Playing from the gold tees. We have five of The Hive's bro's duking it out for the top spot in a Gross competition. Handicaps (for reference only) in parenthesis:

misplacedtexan (6.5)

baddomes (5.1)

stixbmore (4.9)

eagle1997 (4.8)

TheCityGame (2.3)

tl;dr – It’s wide open

Tex has made some great strides this year. He’s working in the industry, he’s playing in pro-scratch tournaments, he’s getting free shafts for his driver through golfwrx, he’s posting videos of himself grilling meats on instagram…..he’s got everything.

The big thing for me as far as Tex goes is whether or not he can avoid the big number. He put up an 81 from the golds at Blue Mash a few weeks ago, but that included three doubles, and not sure if those were ESC’s or not. His scoring record is littered with recent 80’s and 81’s, so he’s entirely capable of getting hot and winning this thing.

Everything I wrote for Tex is true about me. My 89 at Blue Mash a month ago was horrible. Couldn’t hold it together and took more than a couple of X’s. My recent form inspires no confidence in this flight, but I’ve played great golf seemingly out of nowhere before, so I’m not fretting.

Stix/Eagle – These two have such similar games that I’m lumping them together here. Tournament golf brings out the best in both of them, and sleeping in the car at Bethpage brings out the worst. They both have the ability to stay in important rounds when things aren’t going their way, and that can be paramount at a place like Blue Mash.

Stix has played some really good rounds of golf this summer, and his most recent was a 72 on 9/11 (never forget) at Clifton Park. I’ve never played Clifton Park, but shooting 72 is cool anywhere, anytime. His 80 from the golds at Blue Mash a month ago was solid.

eagle has played Blue Mash twice in the last month, shooting 80 and 81. And his recent form has no blemishes on it. Just solid low 80’s and 70’s scores. A 78 at Turf, a 77 at UMD....come on. This guy is ready. Someone needs to rent the golf board so he doesn’t have a chance to ride it. If he gets on the GB, game over.

And…TheCityGame. Is he playing to his 2.3 right now? He’d probably tell you no. But let me read you his last 10 scores: 89, 74, 81, 78, 77, 77, 87, 79 (Blue Mash), 74 (UMD winner), 76. The outliers are obvious. Again, 2.3? nah….but what is it then? A 4.0? 3.5? It’s not like he’s half as good as he was. Here’s the thing though: He’s got driver issues right now. He’s messing with it and not as confident as he has been. Here’s the OTHER thing though: No one can go to the range for 45 minutes and f****** figure it out like TheCityGame. Will he be satisfied with his preparation by 9/24? That’s the question.

Again, wide open. A couple will have to play to the top of their ability levels, but it’s anyone’s guess. Here’s mine:

baddomes pick: eagle 1st, City 2nd .

bonus prediction: I think 3 or fewer strokes separates 1st through 3rd.

Wednesday would work.

Either Turf or Waverly. Between 2:30 and 3:00 is best. Let me know and if anyone else wants to jump in on that, let me know.

If it's not one of those places, I'm out. I've basically spent my non-dues budget for the month, and I have pre-paid rounds at Waverly.

In for either, let me know if you would like me to make a reservation at Waverly if that is where we want to play.

Thanks for nominating me for the Hall of Fame.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Wednesday would work.

I think I can do this. Waverly closed on Wednesday?

Bayrat, let's see if we get any other response.

Domes, I know a troll job when I see it. The biggest troll job isn't even picking me second. It's that 3 or fewer strokes separates 3rd place from me.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wednesday would work.

I just went to the site. No tee times T/W/Th.

If in fact that's right, you interested in Turf?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wednesday would work.

I gotta think about whether or not I want to drive an hour to/from golf on Wednesday.

Great reading thread-reading day today!

Nice recaps and a very nice presentation of the flights by domes.

Are we teeing off sequentially by flight or are we going to have a mixer-type scenario with each group being a nice little random assortment? Does it make a difference? I would argue that it could.

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

Waverly is CLOSED Tuesday, Wed, Thurs for 3 big outings.

Let's see who we can get at Turfy on Wednesday and I'll make a time.

Wednesday is soggy wing night at the grill.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wednesday would work.

Called them, they are closed for 3 outings Tues/Weds/Thursday.

Great reading thread-reading day today!

Nice recaps and a very nice presentation of the flights by domes.

Are we teeing off sequentially by flight or are we going to have a mixer-type scenario with each group being a nice little random assortment? Does it make a difference? I would argue that it could.

Flights will largely be playing together. I'll send that stuff out in an email later this week. Tee times start at 12pm, so plan on that.

Stroke Play Champ Flight

I first read that as Stroke Play Chimp Fight and though that's not very nice. Accurate, maybe, but not nice.

It sucks that the Tiger tournament is no more. My son really likes going and getting autographs and was talking about volunteering next year. He knows a couple boys that have been score sign bearers.

When I used to race my bike, the title sponsor would hold a party at the beginning of the year. The owner of the business was into cycling. He used to show us this power point presentation where he explained how "success was like a bicycle wheel. You had a hub and all this other sh1t revolved around it, but it was all held together by the spokes, who were people" or something. I'm sure it's the kind of thing a total dullard thinks is clever.

You know that at some point, Steve Bisciotti explained to someone that he named his yacht Winning Drive not just because of the football tie-in, but that if you want to succeed in business -- or in life, young man -- you need to have a "winning drive".

I think he makes decisions like that. "That Colin Kaepernick guy. . .I know what my coaches and GM are telling me, but I need to go back to my first principles when making a decision. . .and I just don't know if Mr. Kaepernick has a winning drive."

Fun fact : the yacht that the fun-boys were jumping off on instagram was none other than Winning Drive.

Capture.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wednesday is soggy wing night at the grill.

Go on....soggy wings?

That was a tie-in to my food review from CV. It's not really soggy wing night.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green