2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SWIX Tour Series Shaft

Hi,

Bob here!

My kids (8 and 11 y o) stumbled across an ancient driver at a local flee market and bought it as a nice Father's Day present to me. As a beginner I don't have a driver yet and they must have heard about it LOL.

They paid $5.50 for the club. I took it for a test and it shots rather well, probably most yards per $ on the range...

I knew about the club head, it's a Callaway Biggest Big Bertha, but I've never heard about the shaft. It is labelled "SWIX Tour Series, Made in Norway", nothing else. I thought SWIX just made cross country skiing equipment... Can you guys help me with information about the shaft. Flex? Why did Swix develop golf shafts? etc.

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a guess, this was during the early 90's when tennis and ski manufacturers were attempting to enter the golf market.

Here's a link (and I'm sure you will all understand why these have stayed in mind if you look!! ;) )

[url="http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod2/ucir4442.htm"]http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod2/ucir4442.htm[/url]

Interesting web site Kathy Marie. Thanks for posting. Looking at the prices they are quoting has my eyes popping. Would love to get my hands on that mint Spalding Executive laminate driver!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1430142058' post='11450161']
At a guess, this was during the early 90's when tennis and ski manufacturers were attempting to enter the golf market.

Here's a link (and I'm sure you will all understand why these have stayed in mind if you look!! ;) )

[url="http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod2/ucir4442.htm"]http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod2/ucir4442.htm[/url]
[/quote]

KM, the more I look at those irons, the more the backpad resembles a MAC TA SS1 iron!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[url="http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod2/ucir4442.htm"]http://www.clubsofdi...d2/ucir4442.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I really liked that...

It doesn't solve my mysterious shaft. I would guess my club is from the late 90's.

[url="http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod2/ucir4442.htm"]http://www.clubsofdi...d2/ucir4442.htm[/url]
[/quote]GREAT WEBSITE !!

My word takes me back, SWIX were top quality shafts back in the early 1990's possibly late 80's. I had,one in old taylormade driver, cost me an arm and a leg to purchase it back then, great shafts tho. Admittedly mine didnt look the one in the pic, it was more a gre colour with a fleck in the shaft. Friend of mine borrowed it never seen it since! Doh!

[quote name='BobFrazier' timestamp='1430141062' post='11450041']
Hi,
Bob here!

My kids (8 and 11 y o) stumbled across an ancient driver at a local flee market and bought it as a nice Father's Day present to me. As a beginner I don't have a driver yet and they must have heard about it LOL.

They paid $5.50 for the club. I took it for a test and it shots rather well, probably most yards per $ on the range...

I knew about the club head, it's a Callaway Biggest Big Bertha, but I've never heard about the shaft. It is labelled "SWIX Tour Series, Made in Norway", nothing else. I thought SWIX just made cross country skiing equipment... Can you guys help me with information about the shaft. Flex? Why did Swix develop golf shafts? etc.

Thanks![/quote]

You have a gem of a shaft there! Swix made at least two models of shaft that were superb - the Tour Series+ and the Performa. You will most often find them in older Callaway heads and perhaps some Titleist DTRs. If you're really lucky, you might find some "MGolf" blades that always had Swix as the stock graphite shaft - there was some connection between Swix and MGolf. Robert Karlsson gamed these around 2000. These Swix shafts were high end and very expensive and had a fair presence on the European Tour.

The Tour Series+ is somewhat rarer and it will be the Performa you see most often. The latter had a woven look and a very textured surface. I have only ever seen two other Tour Series+ shafts and I have them both! I obtained them from a tour van in the UK in the 90s. You should find a silver label under the grip that tells you the flex of the shaft and batch number. Both of mine are X and are very stout.

If you care to do so, and if the shaft length allows, you will find that your Swix performs exceptionally well in a more modern head. One option might be an SMT DB455 head, that has enough shaft insertion depth to deal with the tip prep that will be on the Swix in the Callaway bore through. Another good option would be a Titleist 983k head - also a bore through. Both the SMT and Titleist can be found cheaply.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='nolixul' timestamp='1430995663' post='11515393']
[quote name='BobFrazier' timestamp='1430141062' post='11450041']
Hi,
Bob here!

Thanks![/quote]

You have a gem of a shaft there! Swix made at least two models of shaft that were superb - the Tour Series+ and the Performa. You will most often find them in older Callaway heads and perhaps some Titleist DTRs. If you're really lucky, you might find some "MGolf" blades that always had Swix as the stock graphite shaft - there was some connection between Swix and MGolf. Robert Karlsson gamed these around 2000. These Swix shafts were high end and very expensive and had a fair presence on the European Tour.

The Tour Series+ is somewhat rarer and it will be the Performa you see most often. The latter had a woven look and a very textured surface. I have only ever seen two other Tour Series+ shafts and I have them both! I obtained them from a tour van in the UK in the 90s. You should find a silver label under the grip that tells you the flex of the shaft and batch number. Both of mine are X and are very stout.

If you care to do so, and if the shaft length allows, you will find that your Swix performs exceptionally well in a more modern head. One option might be an SMT DB455 head, that has enough shaft insertion depth to deal with the tip prep that will be on the Swix in the Callaway bore through. Another good option would be a Titleist 983k head - also a bore through. Both the SMT and Titleist can be found cheaply.
[/quote]

Thanks! I might try to find one of these heads. I think the shaft is nice but the club head is a bit small...

• 8 months later...

Just found a set of new/slightly used Callaway XR pro irons with Swix performa 90 shafts.

The shafts are unreal; on a launch monitor, consistently carries 5-6 yards longer and straighter with a 7 iron, than my Callaway Apex/TT95 steel.

The 5 iron carries 6-8 more yards.

Any input? This thread has given me more info than anything else I've found. Thanks.