Cell phones on the course

Golfchicago

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another note. I don't see cell phones slowing down play by 15 minutes a round. At least my experience hasnt shown that. Also, it isn't the same as 15 years ago. 15 years ago I could say I was on the course that is why I couldnt get back to you. Today if I say that, my clients would be pissed off because they would expect me to pick the phone up unless Im playing a tournament.

I played in a two man tournament with Cardo. He absolutely had to make a critical call. Thew guys we were playing with didn't care, I didn't care. He didn't slow play down and kept his conversation discreet. WE could have been dq'd if someone turned us in. I wouldn't have a problem if we were turned in because I think you have to have the rule for the tournamnet because there are a few people out there that would take advantage of the rule.

Another note. I don't see cell phones slowing down play by 15 minutes a round. At least my experience hasnt shown that. Also, it isn't the same as 15 years ago. 15 years ago I could say I was on the course that is why I couldnt get back to you. Today if I say that, my clients would be pissed off because they would expect me to pick the phone up unless Im playing a tournament.

I played in a two man tournament with Cardo. He absolutely had to make a critical call. Thew guys we were playing with didn't care, I didn't care. He didn't slow play down and kept his conversation discreet. WE could have been dq'd if someone turned us in. I wouldn't have a problem if we were turned in because I think you have to have the rule for the tournamnet because there are a few people out there that would take advantage of the rule.

47732[/snapback]

I'm surprised that it only slowed play 15 minutes. Just think of all the idiots you see yapping away between shots and how much time they could save by just shutting up. It only takes one guy to slow the entire course or a bunch of jackasses wasting just a few minutes each.

I have my cell phone with me at all times and set to vibrate almose all the time. I keep it with me on the course for emergencies or to call the clubhouse with problems/slow play/etc. Maybe nobody knows this, but things have email and text messaging!

People just need to use common sense when using a cell phone(keep in mind I am asking the same idiot who does not replace divots or rake bunkers to use common sense).

I understand many people are looking to the past for simple times when modern day life did not interfere with recreation, but wake up! Times change and people change. Technology is a necessary evil. Do you really think that your great, great-grandparents would not have jumped at using a cell phone or any other modern luxury? What about portable defibrillators? Just because your grandparents did not have them, do you think they should be banned from the course? What about that new $500 driver? Technology and modern life is all around you. If my quick cell phone call at the turn or text message does not interfere with you, why do you care?

How would you feel if you are playing golf with (insert someone very close to you) is having a heart attack. You made everyone leave their phone in the car, no one else in anywhere close on the course and you are 5-10 minutes away from the clubhouse? You can see where I am going with this.

Welcome to today! You are only 60 years late.

Welcome to today!  You are only 60 years late.

48143[/snapback]

It's just that the things have become all intrusive and ubiquitous. As others have said, the biggest problem is encouraging the same idjit who couldn't be bothered to replace a divot, rake a trap, or repair a ball mark to keep his/her conversations to a minimum and his/her voice down. Ya got an emergency... fine. It isn't mine, and I really don't care to hear your end of the conversation. Certainly there are folk who must remain in touch and return calls. But it has become "the thing". I'm not impressed. And, just how important is it that you give a shot-by-shot scenario to somebody on your cell phone?

I agree that giving a shot by shot replay to someone on the other line is uncalled for and basically being rude to everyone else there. There are idiots everywhere and use their cell phone in the movies, doctor office waiting rooms (I do not want to hear where the rash is! :idhitit: ), etc.

I am not against having some rules to keep these idiots inline, but I do not agree that they should be banned and kept off the course. It kind of reminds me of punishing the entire class when one kid is being bad.

Back in the day, cell phones themselves were a sign of wealth and coolness. Now everyone including 12 year old kids have them. It seems like the conversation is intended to make them sound important/cool and loud enough for everyone to hear them being a big shot.

I was at the ER earlier this week and was amazed at how many people needed to be told to end the cell phone conversation and turn them off or they would be asked to leave the hospital/have the cell phone confiscated. They did not stop even after they were told it could interfere with remote monitoring of heart monitors. Some people just do not care and think the world revolves around them.

I think they're here to stay. How about keeping them on silent and checking for messages at the turn and other natural "breaks"?

What is irritating are the guys who like to create the impression that they are so super-important that they need to make and take 20 trivial calls per round. If you're that busy stay in the office - golf should be about relaxation...

It sounds like the thing that is getting lost in this whole thing is the issue of respect. Unfortunately this is not limited to the golf course and is seen in daily life with striking regularity. I bring my cell phone to the course and, as several people have mentioned, check it every few holes in case something comes up. I do speak with my wife or business partners if necessary but I'm very respectful of the game and my playing partners and would not want to be called out for them losing strokes. I do assume that I will be the victim of an obnoxious phone dweller occasionally and will acept that as part of life.

Now if someone can please explain why I go double-double after I get off the phone with my wife...

Now if someone can please explain why I go double-double after I get off the phone with my wife...

50275[/snapback]

I have the same problem, but it depends on why she called. Good phone call (such as what do you want me to make for dinner and it will be ready when you get back), I end up par or birdie. Bad phone call (where the hell are you and I did not know you were golfing today), I go bogey or worse.

Does anybody really have a problem with cell phones on the course? I don't. I have a business to attend to and I understand if someone needs to use their phone in a tournament. I really don't care if they do and I don't bother to talk about a penalty unless the person is abusive, but I haven't run into that type of situation.

46877[/snapback]

I have no problem with them on the course as long as they are on silent mode and not playing some stupid song or annoying ring. Conversation should be kept brief and not slow down play. If it's business you might have to sit the hole while you talk and allow the others to continue to play so as not to slow down the pace. I was on the course when I learned that my Mom had a heart attack that would prove to be fatal, without the phone I would not have been able to be with her at the end so it is important to be reachable and be able to reach someone in the event of an emergency.

I think the "you didn't have the phone ten years ago, you don't need it now" excuse is BS. You also probably didn't have the internet, but here you are chatting away. This is a different world in which we live from even 5 years ago or yesterday. In 2000, had I said jihad, al-Queda, or WMD you would have no idea what I meant.

Cell phones are not that big of a disruption as people say they are, and I can't even think of when I have been truely bothered on the course. There are bigger fish to fry, and there will always be someone that is only thinking of themselves. There are far more people that fail to fix a ball mark, or rake a sandtrap than are talking on the phone and delaying play.

If you are being slowed by a group member, tell them and they will probably stop. Otherwise, what I am doing with my phone will not bother you one way or the other, and I would request that you don't judge me because I choose to carry my phone with me while I play.

I come from a different generation than a lot of you. I am a 22 year old college grad, and I don't know much about the "old days", but that is what they are: OLD. This is a new age in which we live, and the fact that I can be in contact with those whom I love and need to speak with is a wonderful thing. Even if I am at the course, I am more than willing to speak with my wife if she has something that she deems important enough to call me at the course. Ultimately, it is my decision whether I want to be reached at the course, and whether I want to take that call.

I think the "you didn't have the phone ten years ago, you don't need it now" excuse is BS

I think that is more of a reference than an excuse.

You also probably didn't have the internet, but here you are chatting away.

While true it is highly doubtful he is, "chatting away" during a round of golf.

In 2000, had I said jihad, al-Queda, or WMD you would have no idea what I meant.

As a Gulf War Vet your damn skippy I would have!

Cell phones are not that big of a disruption as people say they are, and I can't even think of when I have been truely bothered on the course.

I think that depends on where you are. Here in Northern CA it IS a problem and I hear at least one cell phone ring during almost every round I play.

There are bigger fish to fry, and there will always be someone that is only thinking of themselves. There are far more people that fail to fix a ball mark, or rake a sandtrap than are talking on the phone and delaying play.

I completely agree with that.

I would request that you don't judge me because I choose to carry my phone with me while I play.

I would not judge you because you choose to carry it, I would however judge you by the manner in which you use your phone on the course which I think is the main point in this whole topic.

Ultimately, it is my decision whether I want to be reached at the course, and whether I want to take that call.

Exactly! Now take into consideration the other players and make that decision wisely. :drinks:

I'm not important enough to need to field calls while on the golf course but I do keep mine on vibrate/silent and check it every so often just in case one of my older kids or the sitter needs to get in touch because someone impaled themselves on a bicycle. I also have a tendency to send picture messages to friends of mine who happen to be working while I'm on the course. I certainly don't have a problem if someone else needs to make/field a call as long as common courtesy is observed. I don't care if you were on the boat with the Minnesota Vikings I don't wanna hear about it......well maybe that's not the best example but you get my drift.