2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

another game tracking device...ClubHUB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they just started taking orders today and it looks it will ship sometime in December. I was able to order one for $320 right after it kicked off. I figure that I should be able to resell it for around what I paid for it even if I don't like it. I have a gamegolf that I like but hate having to remember to tap it and I like that this one gives you stats on your swing.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

With $499 for 14 sensors it certainly isn't the cheapest option but I like that you basically get a stripped down swing analyser and the shot tracker in one. However I can't imagine the sensors are as accurate (and expensive) as for example SkyPro uses.

They claim to offer Face Angle, I would be very surprised if that is accurate. Most swing analysers have problems with real impact data as a) the impact shock creates lots of 'electronic' noise - vibrations that cause lots of different readings and b) determining the correct impact time is very difficult as face angle at the point of maximum compression is what counts not the face angle at first contact. The face angle is changing a lot during impact!

I guess the additional info you get compared to GameGolf or Arccos is the club head speed and tempo.

First class comment ParHunter!

It should be noted that by gaining the extra info such as club head speed and tempo that ClubHub will be totally non-conforming.

Will be fascinating to hear comments from the early adopters in December but to convince me they would have to show some reviews of the product from independent reviewers before I part with that type of money.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1441264884' post='12255706']
It doesn't have to be non-conforming, it all depends what they show during the round. If they just collect the data and only show it after the round then they might be okay. Arccos now as a conforming app as well, where they don't give any information on shots during the round.
[/quote]

I asked the developers on Kickstarter and they verified that this system is indeed non conforming.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

Actually I believe the minute a product collects swing information it is non-conforming for use in tournaments even if said information is given retrospectively. Also I believe the product has live electronics in the club which will always be non-conforming due to the governing bodies not wanting electronics on a golf club.

Arccos has the app but surely it can't use the tags in the bottom of the club with that model.

[quote name='ilovenewtech' timestamp='1444378030' post='12431788']
Actually I believe the minute a product collects swing information it is non-conforming for use in tournaments even if said information is given retrospectively. Also I believe the product has live electronics in the club which will always be non-conforming due to the governing bodies not wanting electronics on a golf club.

Arccos has the app but surely it can't use the tags in the bottom of the club with that model.
[/quote]

As long as the data is only collected during the round and is not processed or accessible during the round it is allowable under 14-3. The R&A ruled on the Game Golf system in a letter dated June 13, 2014, specifically stating such.

• 2 months later...

I just received my Kickstarter for this yesterday and used it at the range today. Here's my initial thoughts. It's greater for analyzing your swing path, angle of attack, and how open of closed your clubface is. The swing speed doesn't seem to be far off but it obviously has no way of knowing how your shaft is affecting the club head (which will also effect open of close stats), but the numbers I was getting were close to what I've seen on the launch monitor at my fitter. The only issue I had with them is that they seem to effect the sound the irons make when you hit down through the ball. It almost made them sound a bit plasticky and changing the sound makes the club feel weird as well.. I'll need to play with them some more to see if I can remedy this. I think it's because they have caps you can take off to replace the battery and they rattle a little bit when you swing. Overall, the software connected perfectly to my phone and gave great info. As long as I can fix the sound, I'll be happy with them I think. I have to play a round with them to try the GPS tracking out though.

Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

The company that makes this is really impressing me. I sent them a message about the plasticky sound I'm hearing and two hours later they've already mailed me some supplies that they said will eliminate the issue. That's some fast customer service!!

Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

• 2 months later...

I just received my Kickstarter for this yesterday and used it at the range today. Here's my initial thoughts. It's greater for analyzing your swing path, angle of attack, and how open of closed your clubface is. The swing speed doesn't seem to be far off but it obviously has no way of knowing how your shaft is affecting the club head (which will also effect open of close stats), but the numbers I was getting were close to what I've seen on the launch monitor at my fitter. The only issue I had with them is that they seem to effect the sound the irons make when you hit down through the ball. It almost made them sound a bit plasticky and changing the sound makes the club feel weird as well.. I'll need to play with them some more to see if I can remedy this. I think it's because they have caps you can take off to replace the battery and they rattle a little bit when you swing. Overall, the software connected perfectly to my phone and gave great info. As long as I can fix the sound, I'll be happy with them I think. I have to play a round with them to try the GPS tracking out though.

Have you played a round with them yet? I was given an unopened box and put them into play recently. On the range they work great but on the course it is hit or miss as to whether or not they pick up shots. It got too frustrating after a few holes I just gave up on it. They been sitting in my garage for a month now, waiting to see if when they go live the app/club pickup works better.

Have you played a round with them yet? I was given an unopened box and put them into play recently. On the range they work great but on the course it is hit or miss as to whether or not they pick up shots. It got too frustrating after a few holes I just gave up on it. They been sitting in my garage for a month now, waiting to see if when they go live the app/club pickup works better.

Yeah, I have to admit they had a lot of bugs and issues. I've switched over the game golf live system that just seems to work. It was too distracting to troubleshoot them on the course.

Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

I recently tried to use my club hub on three different courses in the DMV area. Each and every time the App has crashed. When I first emailed the tech support, they responded but did not give any concrete answer. The second time I emailed them I asked about a refund. They informed be that because i bought it through Kickstarter they did not have to give me a refund. I am a graduating law student and did not like that answer. I sent them a demand letter over email for breach of contract and implied warranty. I asked them to send me the specific steps they were taking to try and cure their non-performance. They informed me that the app was being sent to Apple within a few days that should fix the crashing issue, as well as fix the battery issues and add some new features for ease of use. Hopefully this fixes these issues because as of now I have $400 dollar useless monitors.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like i need to give an update since I was quite harsh in my first post. The rep reached out to me and posted on their kickstarter that a update was coming to the app. She then personally emailed me and asked that once i download the app and use it to email her back with my results, as well as the courses i usually play so that she can ensure they are mapped correctly. I was able to use the app on monday and it worked like a dream. Not only was I able to play music, but editing the round, having the clubs identified and the whole process was very easy. I tested the GPS range finder out against my Bushnell and it was pretty close (+/- 3-5 yards). Further, even when the phone was locked, the app continued to record all of my shots. I emailed back the rep and told her of the success and asked for help with getting some replacement covers and she was more than helpful. The product definitely got off to a rocky start, but its gotten much better.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to be chosen as a beta tester for the ClubHub sensors. I have used the Zepp device, GameGolf and the Arccos systems before I used this product. So I had a really good idea what to look for about likes and dislikes.

I have played about 20 rounds and over 30 range sessions with the sensors on every club.

I really liked how this product lets you use it on the range and while you play a round of golf. It tracks everything. Its pretty amazing.

The timing for getting started with the beta test was perfect for me. I was currently going through a swing change to help my takeaway. I was taking the club back to far on the inside. So when i was on the range. I could hit some shots and then look back at those swings in 3D to see my swing plane. This was super helpful because it gave me instant feedback on my path. I used this feature a ton.

Another good feature I liked is when you are hitting on the range you can select a certain swing metric (for example Tempo) and every swing you take it will actually speak to you and tell you that Tempo ratio. It was great to work on a smooth transition and swing. I would just set my phone down on the grass or put it in my back pocket and you can adjust the volume so you can hear it. It did not bother anyone hitting next to me. Some of the other metrics such as swing speed and attack angle were very accurate. I even compared most of the them on the Foresight GC2 launch monitor. The metrics were surprisingly accurate. It does do face angle. Which is probably the hardest one to get right. But it did a decent job with that metric as well. It wasnt perfect but I felt good enough for the constraints they have for where they are gathering the data.

The main thing that makes this product better than GameGolf and Arccos is that it does all of the shot tracking during the round and it also provides you will all of the swing data as well. You can go back to any round and see any swing to see all the data for that swing. Its pretty cool. Another feature I noticed i used a ton was when I would it a pure shot. I would tag that shot as a favorite and the next time I am on the range I can look at those metrics and try to replicate the same swing that got me the pure shot. Most of the time it was a tempo thing or my swing plane which i was currently working on. I also liked how when playing a round it also has GPS layouts of every hole. So if i needed the distance it gave me that as well.

I have used GameGolf a ton and love the shot tracking but I never liked having to tap the box on my belt before every shot. I would forget all the time. But with this I just put the phone in my pocket and start the round on the app. You never have to touch your phone again if you dont want. So you can just forget about it and then after the round i would check it out. This worked great. It really worked well. It seemed to easily know what a practice swing was versus actually hitting the ball. I thought i would get a bunch of extra swings in the tracking but it rarely did that. Only on some tap in putts which is understandable.

My instructor also has been using it in my lessons with him as well. Which i think is a vital tool. He can understand more of the metrics that are being gathered and know what to tell me to work on to begin hitting better shots.

The only negative feedback I had during the beta test was the actual caps on the sensors. Some of them would rattle a tad when hitting which would give you a weird feel at impact. But this has been resolved by them and I have had no further issues since the fix.

Yes the price point is a bit high for most people but for the features it has and if your a golf nut and love analyzing every part of your game you would love this. i would rather spend the money on this then a new driver every six months since the new product cycle is 6 months to have the latest and greatest equipment.

Its amazing where golf is at today with all of these great new tech products. I can't wait to see whats next.

Great review of the product. I'm in the market for Arccos, GG, or CH. Not sure which one to go with. Seems like the gap is closing and it's mostly about what's required to gather data (tap vs bluetooth)

I was lucky enough to be chosen as a beta tester for the ClubHub sensors. I have used the Zepp device, GameGolf and the Arccos systems before I used this product. So I had a really good idea what to look for about likes and dislikes.