$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

What exactly is your procedure with the Wedge Ladder drill?

Still really haven't got a solid wedge routine I like. I've been using a RNG from 50-100 to generate yardages that I have to hit +/- 5 then just trying to get to 10pts w/ 3 lives. (i'm not as good as you so my bar is lower :) ) But I'm always looking for something better

Also just got my fiberbuilt in and it is pretty damn sweet. Though I'm with you on the freight shipping being silly.

This video with Jordan Spieth's coach called "Wedge Ways" is close to what I work on...

I'll start at 30 yards hitting a low shot. The ball has to carry with 2 yards of that so between 28-32 yards. Once do that, I'll hit a medium trajectory shot. Then a high. I'll work my way all the way up 80 yards and back down.

That is exactly what I want to train myself with. it is really hard to do so at the practice range where the flag jumps from 50 yard to 100 yard.

No doubt about that.

My full swing has definitely improved with the SkyTrak, but my wedge game has gone to another level. That's probably where I've seen the most improvement. On the course, I'm absolutely chomping at the bit when I get a wedge in my hand now. I'm so dialed in with my yardages.

****Also, someone asked earlier about whether or not I needed to go to the range and I said that I didn't. I just wanted to add to that and say that's because I'm pretty good with low point control. If you're a golfer that struggles with that part of your game and you don't have the ability to strike the ground in the same spot, you may need to go to the range to work on that element of your swing because hitting off a mat certainly isn't going to help you there.

I've had so many people PM me asking about my wedge ladder drill since making this thread, so I made a quick video this morning when I did my routine to show how I go through it the ladder drill as well as the wedge system that I use. I just started working out 4 days ago and I'm stupid sore and stiff right now. Just sitting down in a chair is a challenge today, so the timing of this video probably isn't the greatest, but it'll do. Even my bad days are pretty solid these days...

[media=]

[/media]

DG1983 recently in the thread talked about how his SkyTrak "breeds confidence" and I agree 100%. Two years ago, I never would have made a video like this. It's one thing to go out and play golf and have confidence that you'll play decently. It's quite another to make a video for all the world to see and critique and be able to execute on command. I have so much confidence in my game now that I have no fear of doing something like this. My swing and method might not be textbook perfect, but the funny thing is that I don't care. I KNOW what works for me now and I can assure you that gaining that kind of confidence feels really, really good.

I've had so many people PM me asking about my wedge ladder drill since making this thread, so I made a quick video this morning when I did my routine to show how I go through it the ladder drill as well as the wedge system that I use. I just started working out 4 days ago and I'm stupid sore and stiff right now. Just sitting down in a chair is a challenge today, so the timing of this video probably isn't the greatest, but it'll do. Even my bad days are pretty solid these days...

***I remade the video after warming up a little. The first one wasn't quite show worthy. LOL.

Thanks for posting. I noticed you keep it fairly dark in the hitting area, have you found this to be optimal for accurate reads? I was under the assumption the ST would need some direct lighting (desk lamp) on the ball for best results?

***I remade the video after warming up a little. The first one wasn't quite show worthy. LOL.

Thanks for posting. I noticed you keep it fairly dark in the hitting area, have you found this to be optimal for accurate reads? I was under the assumption the ST would need some direct lighting (desk lamp) on the ball for best results?

Usually I have all the lights on and it's pretty bright with the overhead garage lights, but I just went with the desk lamp so the image looked better on the screen. I haven't seen any difference in results based on lighting whether it's daytime with all the lights on or night time with just the projector which can be pretty dark in here.

Thanks. in the process of planning my set up and I want to try to get it as close to right the first time as possible (wishful thinking, I know).

Not sure how much it will help, but outside of the launch monitor itself, I would put the order of importance...

1. mat - I learned the hard way on this one. Get one that performs well, but most importantly, will allow you body to hold up to the volume of shots you'll be hitting. I cost myself nearly a year by going with a cheap mat which wrecked my elbow.

2. projector - Everyone wants a "short throw", but not everyone has that kind of a budget. You can make a long throw work as you can see in the video. You'll have some shadows, but it's not bad at all.

3. netting - If you're going to skimp initially, this is where I would do it. I used an Ikea quit with some netting behind it. I planned on getting a "real" impact screen, but the image looked good and has held up so well that I never did it. It's been 2 years almost. Not bad for $60. It's just now reaching the point where it needs to be replaced.

Thanks. in the process of planning my set up and I want to try to get it as close to right the first time as possible (wishful thinking, I know).

Not sure how much it will help, but outside of the launch monitor itself, I would put the order of importance...

1. mat - I learned the hard way on this one. Get one that performs well, but most importantly, will allow you body to hold up to the volume of shots you'll be hitting. I cost myself nearly a year by going with a cheap mat which wrecked my elbow.

2. projector - Everyone wants a "short throw", but not everyone has that kind of a budget. You can make a long throw work as you can see in the video. You'll have some shadows, but it's not bad at all.

3. netting - If you're going to skimp initially, this is where I would do it. I used an Ikea quit with some netting behind it. I planned on getting a "real" impact screen, but the image looked good and has held up so well that I never did it. It's been 2 years almost. Not bad for $60. It's just now reaching the point where it needs to be replaced.

Thanks Dorn, I took my time in reading through the thread and appreciate all your input. Will def be monitoring this thread as well as the one on the sim forum.

- I already have a decent set up in the garage (mat/net) that I use on a regular basis but am itching to get usable ball flight data (with young children/full time job I don't have time to go to the course). Will likely add the ST alone at first and run off ipad/laptop, etc. until I can afford to add projector (short throw may be my only option) and screen. I will be seriously considering the Ikea option as I am looking at a cable/slider setup so we can bring the car in.

Nice video dude!

Did you know you can flip the carry/total distance numbers so the larger displayed one is the carry? Not sure if you want that but I found I don't pay attention to the total number, so flipped the carry to be the obvious one.

I do a skills assessment working 60 - 140 in 10 yard gaps 3 balls each, I will introduce the low medium high, I loved the way you measured it with launch - could take it to the next level and make sure your low one had less spin, and the high one was a high spinner.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Great video, Dorn. Your experience with SkyTrak mirrors my own in many ways.

As an aside, having the projector light beam on my face at address would drive me insane. For those looking to avoid that, you can either 1) have very high ceilings with a short-throw projector, and/or 2) get a projector with horizontal keystone correction and put the projector off to the right side (in front of you, opposite the ball), either on the ceiling or on a short table (like I do with my BenQ HT1075).

Great video, Dorn. Your experience with SkyTrak mirrors my own in many ways.

As an aside, having the projector light beam on my face at address would drive me insane. For those looking to avoid that, you can either 1) have very high ceilings with a short-throw projector, and/or 2) get a projector with horizontal keystone correction and put the projector off to the right side (in front of you, opposite the ball), either on the ceiling or on a short table (like I do with my BenQ HT1075).

Honestly, I don't even notice the light from the projector. It's shining downwards (mounted at the ceiling) and doesn't really shine in my eyes. I would have loved to got a BenQ projector, but that was a little bit outside of my budget at the time.

Nice video dude!

Did you know you can flip the carry/total distance numbers so the larger displayed one is the carry? Not sure if you want that but I found I don't pay attention to the total number, so flipped the carry to be the obvious one.

I do a skills assessment working 60 - 140 in 10 yard gaps 3 balls each, I will introduce the low medium high, I loved the way you measured it with launch - could take it to the next level and make sure your low one had less spin, and the high one was a high spinner.

I had the carry/total flipped around for quite a while and then bought an SSD hard drive and never flipped it back around when I reinstalled SkyTrak.

And I do work a lot on the spin, but typically I'll do that on the JNPG simulator. I'll find a shot inside of 100 yards and work on different spins.

Great update and video Dorn. Question: Do you feel like having the image/projected target line on the screen is easier for your drills over a simple hitting net? I'm currently using a net only and am having a hard time finding the exact spot over and over that I want to target. I may try to get a ribbon or something to hang in the net...

-Doc Todd

Wishon 919 9* Kuro Kage 70gm stiff
R11 15.5 3w stock stiff
R11 19 3h stock stiff
Mizuno MP 53 4-P S300
Scor 50/54/58
Old school Ping Anser with loads of lead tape

Great update and video Dorn. Question: Do you feel like having the image/projected target line on the screen is easier for your drills over a simple hitting net? I'm currently using a net only and am having a hard time finding the exact spot over and over that I want to target. I may try to get a ribbon or something to hang in the net...

Absolutely 100%.

That center line is such a simple thing, but it's been a huge addition to my game. Not only does it help you know where you're trying to hit the ball, but I've found that my aim on the course which has always been an issue for me has improved over the past 18 months with the SkyTrak. I've always battled aligning too far to the right and I guess just the act of setting up square and looking down the target line accurately thousands upon thousands of times has made a huge difference. Even though you're looking at a screen, you still get sense of depth you would on a real shot. You won't get that just hitting into a net, but it will certainly help you when you're trying to launch the ball into a specific window.

Anyone know if some of the outdoor/sunlight issues have been resolved or are people still having a hard time with this?

I have never had an issue with the sun on my SkyTrak, so I might not be the best one to answer. I know some people did, but I haven't seen it brought up on any of the forums, so I would assume it's been rectified.

Anyone know if some of the outdoor/sunlight issues have been resolved or are people still having a hard time with this?

I have never had an issue with the sun on my SkyTrak, so I might not be the best one to answer. I know some people did, but I haven't seen it brought up on any of the forums, so I would assume it's been rectified.

Thanks. I'm seriously considering selling my Mevo and upgrading. The Mevo is sweet but suddenly I just want more!

According to Seth from Skytrak, they are waiting for Apple to approve. In the meantime, delete the app and reinstall. That resolved my issue, at least for a little while.

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

According to Seth from Skytrak, they are waiting for Apple to approve. In the meantime, delete the app and reinstall. That resolved my issue, at least for a little while.

That worked for me over the weekend. But the app stopped working again and reinstalling the app isn't making it work now. No one at skytrak could help at all. Makes me wonder if I should return it.

Sorry for the threadjack

Reach out to Seth at SkyTrak....he said they can supply a "tester" code that will allow you to get the updated app as a tester until approved by Apple. Guessing support doesn't know that.

I just received mine also and I am not giving up that fast. I have been very impressed with the accuracy and ease of use for the cost.

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

Picked up a Skytrak for a song this week. In the planning stages of getting the garage set up. I'll post pics when it's ready. In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running. Thanks for the thread dornstar! Between this thread and your strokes gained threads, you've become one of my favorite posters.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Anyone have experience with the plume mesh network and skytrak? I'm considering a mesh network for my 120 year old home but would like to verify it will work with my SkyTrak.

I'm in tech but had never heard of Plume. After reading a review at https://www.cnet.com/products/plume-adaptive-wifi-system/review/, I'm not sure what the point is vs a regular wifi router and one or two extenders if necessary, besides perhaps ease of setup.

Anyhoo, Plume should work fine as long as it's not 5G-only - SkyTrak doesn't play well with 5G wifi. But it'd be safer going with more traditional wifi routers.

It depends on how you want to connect to the Skytrak.

I connect my PC to the house network via wire. I direct connect the PC to the Skytrak Wifi via the PC wireless adaptor and you have the final option of a direct USB connection.

Like anything that you want a solid fast wifi connection on, either use top end kit with not obstructions or run a wire!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Picked up a Skytrak for a song this week. In the planning stages of getting the garage set up. I'll post pics when it's ready. In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running. Thanks for the thread dornstar! Between this thread and your strokes gained threads, you've become one of my favorite posters.

Thanks my man.

I really need to dig up that strokes gained thread and start working on it again. It kind of got lost in the shuffle of building this simulator and then the elbow surgery which basically cost me a year. That strokes gained system was so good.

Great thread! I have a really nice back yard set up but we are moving. The new house has one room where I think it will work but if it won't the garage surely will so I am looking into this system. This thread helped a lot. Do you subscribe to the full $200/yr package for the courses etc or just the basic?

Great thread! I have a really nice back yard set up but we are moving. The new house has one room where I think it will work but if it won't the garage surely will so I am looking into this system. This thread helped a lot. Do you subscribe to the full $200/yr package for the courses etc or just the basic?

I just purchased my SkyTrack to get the Father's Day discount. I signed up for the $199 package.

I think the $99 package is almost a requirement, since you get the enhanced driving range and access Simulators. I didn't have a computer that meets the specs for the PC simulators, so I decided to try the WGT on the iPad. It is fine for what I want to do.

My setup is pretty limited since I don't have a ton of space. I have the SkyTrak, mat, net and use an iPad Pro (12"). I can swing a driver, but it is really tight, so I normally just hit irons.

If I play the simulator, I have just been doing the Par 3 course.

I continue to hear complaints about the annual cost, but I figure that I saved $2000 purchasing the SkyTrak compared to CG2 or other system. That is 10 years of subscriptions and a subscription provides the company with cash to continue to enhance the software.

I have been very pleased with the SkyTrak in the first two weeks.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3