2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

So there are some nuances with the certified pre-owned setup. None of which are terribly difficult to overcome, but I see in the warranty section that it is expired. FYI to all.

Also doesn't come with a case so the metal case is next on the agenda. Even though I haven't hosel shanked a ball for years over thousands of swings (my ballstriking errs towards the toe) I just can't let anyone else touch it until it's protected.

On the upside I was able to get the garage scrubbed and vacuumed in between baby naps. After dinner the wifey takes over and I'm ready to install my eye hooks and grommet and bungee this tarp/net so I can hit some balls finally.

I'm calling it quits for tonight. I tested the billboard tarp out and the wife says she didn't hear me pounding on it with my 7 iron so looks like I'm in the clear to avoid potential nagging. Tomorrow I need to cut some 2x4 so I have something to drill into for the right side eye hooks. After that I'm ready to plug in the projector, laptop and skytrak and get on the range. Really got to figure something out for bounce back though... maybe move the tire/board back and bit so there's more slack in the screen.. I'll have to play around with it.Hq5imOJ.jpg1SoVLUm.jpgKlUkZZB.jpg

Not surprised balls are bouncing back at you, as tight as that must be. And if you ever skull an iron or top a wood into that tire, look out!

I have the floor portion of my net lying the other way, towards me, with bungees keeping the two corners roughly in place. My screen sheet hangs down to only a couple of inches off the floor. Most balls die and roll back to my feet.

Dorn I saw you have a way that you are able to raise the net to get it out of the way if you wish to put it in the garage. We just moved in to the new place last week so it is still full of stuff but when I build I will have to have a way to quickly and easily bring the net down when I'm using it and then put it back up when the cars are in the garage. What hardware did you install to allow you to do that?

Dorn I saw you have a way that you are able to raise the net to get it out of the way if you wish to put it in the garage. We just moved in to the new place last week so it is still full of stuff but when I build I will have to have a way to quickly and easily bring the net down when I'm using it and then put it back up when the cars are in the garage. What hardware did you install to allow you to do that?

His second post has a picture of it. Looks like two eye hooks and a carabiner.

His second post has a picture of it. Looks like two eye hooks and a carabiner.

Perfect. Thank you!

So there are some nuances with the certified pre-owned setup. None of which are terribly difficult to overcome, but I see in the warranty section that it is expired. FYI to all.

Also doesn't come with a case so the metal case is next on the agenda. Even though I haven't hosel shanked a ball for years over thousands of swings (my ballstriking errs towards the toe) I just can't let anyone else touch it until it's protected.

On the upside I was able to get the garage scrubbed and vacuumed in between baby naps. After dinner the wifey takes over and I'm ready to install my eye hooks and grommet and bungee this tarp/net so I can hit some balls finally.

that is odd. I too purchased a "factory certified refurbished" unit. My account information section on sky golf shows that I have full 6 months of warranty. They finally got my "play & improvement" package added to my account as well. Listing for unit says it comes with 90day warranty. Looks like I'm getting 6 months. :)

Any idea what projector you are going to use?? What are your screen dimensions?

that is odd. I too purchased a "factory certified refurbished" unit. My account information section on sky golf shows that I have full 6 months of warranty. They finally got my "play & improvement" package added to my account as well. Listing for unit says it comes with 90day warranty. Looks like I'm getting 6 months. :)

I'm still drilling the range while I work out the setup nuances but took a more recent picture last night. I need to get that old drywall out of the way and get some thicker carpeting down so the ball doesn't bounce off the carpet. I loosened up all of the bungees to kill some bounceback, which worked but I really need to pin up a sheet in the middle to help absorb the energy as it's still a bit too much.

The projector was just some cheap short throw Sanyo from a few models back. 1080p and works from a few feet in. The PC is a gtx670 in need of an upgrade, I just haven't had a reason to upgrade yet and it draws the range super fast. I'm wondering if JNPG will work at lower settings but that won't matter until winter or a particularly long stretch of bad weather.

jpH6nXu.jpg

I paid 100 dollars for it. Facebook marketplace for whatever reason has a ton of cheap projectors.

Skytrak rules, I've never hit so many balls over a few days. Especially with this level of feedback, you just can't beat it.

I definitely need to put up some netting or curtains to catch errant balls.. getting pretty sick of chasing them down. I think maybe a drawback of the billboard tarps texture but for the price I paid this thing is just built like a tank and I doubt I will be killing it any time soon.

I'm still drilling the range while I work out the setup nuances but took a more recent picture last night. I need to get that old drywall out of the way and get some thicker carpeting down so the ball doesn't bounce off the carpet. I loosened up all of the bungees to kill some bounceback, which worked but I really need to pin up a sheet in the middle to help absorb the energy as it's still a bit too much.

The projector was just some cheap short throw Sanyo from a few models back. 1080p and works from a few feet in. The PC is a gtx670 in need of an upgrade, I just haven't had a reason to upgrade yet and it draws the range super fast. I'm wondering if JNPG will work at lower settings but that won't matter until winter or a particularly long stretch of bad weather.

jpH6nXu.jpg

You must never shank. My shanks would go right into those wall studs from that right tee location, lol.

If/when you upgrade your projector, try to get one with horizontal keystone correction so you can put that projector behind you and to the left of the screen (or behind the SkyTrak unit) - no shadows and out of the way. Love my BenQ HT1075, $681 on Amazon (I found mine new for $550 on eBay). https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-HT1075-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00LTMPOUO

Shanks for me are super rare thankfully. The big problem I have is that the ball keeps skipping up the screen and almost hits the light bulb there.

I got the old busted up drywall out of the way last night (sorry garbage man) but still struggling with stopping the ball reliably. I think maybe I need to cut off the excess screen at the bottom so it can fold over the ball more easily.

Several of these pics look like standard 8ft ceilings. What's the longest club you guys are able to hit on these?

We'll be looking to move next year and one of the requirements on my list is somewhere to set up a simulator (whether it be garage, out building, basement, etc.) Can't wait. Then I'll be stealing everyone's ideas off this thread.

Shanks for me are super rare thankfully. The big problem I have is that the ball keeps skipping up the screen and almost hits the light bulb there.

I got the old busted up drywall out of the way last night (sorry garbage man) but still struggling with stopping the ball reliably. I think maybe I need to cut off the excess screen at the bottom so it can fold over the ball more easily.

It looks like your net is tethered to the walls on both sides? That's probably what's causing excess bounceback. Mine is hanging from top only, then sheet is held from top and sides of net with small alligator clips. Never bounces back more than a couple feet.

I put a blanket between the net and the screen and it's stopping balls way better when I hit it there.

This weekend I'm buying some steel cable and getting some blackout drapes to go over and around the screen to improve the image quality, and to stop balls from hopping behind/under my wifes car.

Also hoping to grab a 4x8 and finish my mat build. The allturfmat on cement is murdering my body. Or at least I'm assuming it is, I have never hit so many balls in my life so the dramatic change in activity could also totally contribute to the problem... I built a divotaction insert but I may recreate it with better materials or go with the gel insert method if necessary.

Also sending some likes Dorns way for the wedge drill. After just less than a week I'm already a lot better with my distances and can move up and down the ladder more easily. I give myself 5 yards short/long and 5 yards left/right, and force myself to get 3 in a row in order to proceed. That way there is some pressure.

I don't have kids to bargain with so I told my wife if I made a 30 yard shot she could have my body... but she gagged and told me she was busy so I went with the 3 in a row thing.

Unboxing tonight, cant setup until tomorrow though; my night to hang with the baby.

Setting up is fun too! My progress so far...

Im taking the plunge and going to set one up too. It will save me money on range balls in the long run and allow me to hit way more balls and have instant feedback.

A big thing i want to know is the projectors are sitting on the ground with no protection. How are you stopping them from getting smashed from a bounce back from the impact mat or the back of it if you blade a shot?

I plan on moving it to the ceiling since I don't have the horizontal keystone feature Ron mentioned. Although I need to build something for it to attach to, for now it's just on the floor and it's only sort of in the way. I'd have to shank it with the back of my hozel to hit it. As is, balls have only rolled back and lightly touched the projector so far, so not a huge concern, and if I do blade it I'd be way more worried about the skytrak itself. The goal is to remove all the subconscious impediments to swinging into the screen so I can "take it to the course" more easily, and more importantly not ingrain any bad habits like becoming narrow because I don't want to hit something.

There's lots of small nuances like that, seems like I'm a long way from perfect but I'm almost comfortable.

Also on the agenda is a "geek box" to put my desktop in. It's basically a filtered enclosure to keep garage nastiness out while protecting and cooling the pc. I should be able to fit it behind the screen and wire out usb extensions if wireless peripherals are too much of a pita. I don't see many others doing this but I know how to build them and I know what happens to the computers at the automotive research center I admin for so it's higher up on my list right now.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Skytrak..... that was until they said that I would have absolutely no warranty with it as I live in Australia (even if I got it posted over after getting it sent to U.S postal address). They said if I wanted to 'play it safe', I would have to wait until they are able to sell them here in AUS, but they couldn't even tell me if that would be 6months or 4years away. Quite disappointed actually. It seems as though they don't want to stand behind their product, or rather, they will find any excuse not to.

They are available in Aus now from 24/7 golf. Pretty decent pricing too with 12 month warranty on both new and used units.