2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

Anyone have experience with the plume mesh network and skytrak? I'm considering a mesh network for my 120 year old home but would like to verify it will work with my SkyTrak.

I'm in tech but had never heard of Plume. After reading a review at https://www.cnet.com...-system/review/, I'm not sure what the point is vs a regular wifi router and one or two extenders if necessary, besides perhaps ease of setup.

Anyhoo, Plume should work fine as long as it's not 5G-only - SkyTrak doesn't play well with 5G wifi. But it'd be safer going with more traditional wifi routers.

Sorry to change the subject but I want to make sure people aren't misinformed based on that cnet review. Mesh networks such as the plume system make for super reliable/even speeds and reviewers of the plume in particular have experienced very low latency. Using a router and "a couple of extenders" will give you super spotty results as I've seen first hand--connections to the extender were extremely slow for me. You always get exactly what you pay for.

Have any of you guys purchased second hand, Ebay or otherwise?

What would be the concerns aside from obvious physical appearance of the unit and original packaging, etc.?

Eyeing a few here and there but I feel like this is something you want to spend a few extra $$ and get directly from manufacturer?

Not quite second hand, but i bought a refurbished unit directly from skytrak and saved ~ $300. Never would have known it wasn't brand new.

Have any of you guys purchased second hand, Ebay or otherwise?

What would be the concerns aside from obvious physical appearance of the unit and original packaging, etc.?

Eyeing a few here and there but I feel like this is something you want to spend a few extra $$ and get directly from manufacturer?

I bought one used off of Golf Simulator Forum. Haven't had any issues. Not sure how buying a used Skytrak would be any different than buying a used car or anything else? I would just recommend watching for scams. There seems to be a boatload of those on launch monitors on ebay lately. If the price seems too good to be true, it almost always is, lol!

Does anyone use just the basic driving range only? I have only enough room to swing 7i or shorter, so I thought I might save the $100-200/yr on the packages since I'd be using it for the range mostly anyway.

I discovered the free package included wasn't going to cut it and paid for the $100 version. I think you'll quickly come to the same conclusion.

I am using mine strictly for practice, so I get by fine with just the free range that comes with it. There are a couple of neat features with the 100 dollar package like the bag mapping and skills test. you also get more customization of the practice range, like number of shots displayed and stuff like that. I got to try those free for a few days, it is definitely worth the 100 bucks a year if you can afford it.

Does anyone use just the basic driving range only? I have only enough room to swing 7i or shorter, so I thought I might save the $100-200/yr on the packages since I'd be using it for the range mostly anyway.

I discovered the free package included wasn't going to cut it and paid for the $100 version. I think you'll quickly come to the same conclusion.

How do you think it compares to the Mevo so far?

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

So far I'm loving the SkyTrak. I thought the Mevo was sweet but some annoyances included:

a) space needed (12' or more to register 160+ ball speed)

b) stickers - constantly falling off and no way of knowing if it was calculated or measured spin

c) lack of spin axis can be limiting

d) I always felt like launch and spin (peak height) were off compared to real life

e) carry seemed longer than real life

All of the above is addressed with the SkyTrak plus you get some nice things like targets, bag mapping, challenges and much more to discover. I think the cost is prohibitive for some and the ongoing subscriptions are super annoying but the SkyTrak is worth much more than 3-4x the Mevo for me.

So far I'm loving the SkyTrak. I thought the Mevo was sweet but some annoyances included:

b) stickers - constantly falling off and no way of knowing if it was calculated or measured spin

d) I always felt like launch and spin (peak height) were off compared to real life

All of the above is addressed with the SkyTrak plus you get some nice things like targets, bag mapping, challenges and much more to discover. I think the cost is prohibitive for some and the ongoing subscriptions are super annoying but the SkyTrak is worth much more than 3-4x the Mevo for me.

Cool, Thanks for update! Do you plan on ordering any of the golf course packages?

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Cool, Thanks for update! Do you plan on ordering any of the golf course packages?

I bought the $100 one which adds some nice features. I'm going to test out the WGT closest to the pin this evening and may end up paying the extra $100 for the next level. I'm an apple user though so I won't be going with anything beyond the WGT.

Anyone have experience with the plume mesh network and skytrak? I'm considering a mesh network for my 120 year old home but would like to verify it will work with my SkyTrak.

I'm in tech but had never heard of Plume. After reading a review at https://www.cnet.com...-system/review/, I'm not sure what the point is vs a regular wifi router and one or two extenders if necessary, besides perhaps ease of setup.

Anyhoo, Plume should work fine as long as it's not 5G-only - SkyTrak doesn't play well with 5G wifi. But it'd be safer going with more traditional wifi routers.

Sorry to change the subject but I want to make sure people aren't misinformed based on that cnet review. Mesh networks such as the plume system make for super reliable/even speeds and reviewers of the plume in particular have experienced very low latency. Using a router and "a couple of extenders" will give you super spotty results as I've seen first hand--connections to the extender were extremely slow for me. You always get exactly what you pay for.

I agree about the extenders being a poor option but why recommend plume? Why wouldn't you just recommend people get a second router and wiring as an access point. It isn't difficult , and it's very cost effective being that you can use an older router you have in your tech junk box and if you don't have one ask tech/it buddies. I guarantee that someone has a box with at least 4 routers.. Worst part being having to directly wire the two routers but even that can be gotten around using Powerline adapters.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I agree about the extenders being a poor option but why recommend plume? Why wouldn't you just recommend people get a second router and wiring as an access point. It isn't difficult , and it's very cost effective being that you can use an older router you have in your tech junk box and if you don't have one ask tech/it buddies. I guarantee that someone has a box with at least 4 routers.. Worst part being having to directly wire the two routers but even that can be gotten around using Powerline adapters.

I actually never recommended the plume. If you can hard wire multiple routers this is the way to go. I cannot without some serious effort (cutting walls and running ethernet cable). For me, the plume was an easy choice as my time has to be worth something. I feel like you're really against the plume so maybe we can forget it was ever mentioned and get back to talking about the SkyTrak?

Did you ever end up replacing that quilt or has it held up fine?

I'm currently reorganizing my garage and made sure I could fit that 105 x 90 PVC frame in. I have a very expensive O/U shotgun that's very unused right now. It could easily turn into a golf simulator / OSU football theater with beer money to spare...

Did you ever end up replacing that quilt or has it held up fine?

I'm currently reorganizing my garage and made sure I could fit that 105 x 90 PVC frame in. I have a very expensive O/U shotgun that's very unused right now. It could easily turn into a golf simulator / OSU football theater with beer money to spare...

I just did the same thing, but it was an expensive AR that turned into the picture below. I hope to add projector etc later, but for now it displays on a 60" tv that we weren't using. Works good enough for now.

Anyone looking to buy, rock bottom golf has 300 off, and it also applied a 15% off coupon I had. So I got, what I think, is a pretty good deal.

Looks like this special pricing at RBG is no longer on. Full price right now ... but you all have inspired me to join the sim family. Just hope I don't get kicked out of my real family.

So I am thinking a Flightscope, a mat and a net are what I need now (I have an iPad Air).

As far as mats - I read the OPs horror story with the cheap mat. Anyone try the Country Club Elite mat from Costco? Seems to get good reviews.

https://www.costco.com/Country-Club-Elite-Golf-Mats.product.100034931.html

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

Anyone looking to buy, rock bottom golf has 300 off, and it also applied a 15% off coupon I had. So I got, what I think, is a pretty good deal.

Looks like this special pricing at RBG is no longer on. Full price right now ... but you all have inspired me to join the sim family. Just hope I don't get kicked out of my real family.

So I am thinking a Flightscope, a mat and a net are what I need now (I have an iPad Air).

As far as mats - I read the OPs horror story with the cheap mat. Anyone try the Country Club Elite mat from Costco? Seems to get good reviews.

https://www.costco.c....100034931.html

I have a CCE mat. You won't injure yourself, you get feedback and you can take a "divot". It's awesome.

I have a CCE mat. You won't injure yourself, you get feedback and you can take a "divot". It's awesome.

Ahhh ... I didn't realize what CCE stood for (saw it mentioned in the thread). I like that it is from Costco - so has their backing as well.

In terms of size -- do you need the full 5 x 5 -- or will the 5 x 4 work ok?

Ahhh ... I didn't realize what CCE stood for (saw it mentioned in the thread). I like that it is from Costco - so has their backing as well.

In terms of size -- do you need the full 5 x 5 -- or will the 5 x 4 work ok?

I actually bought the 5x3' and it's been great. I will say, if you buy the 5x5 it will last longer since you'll have 4 hitting edges to wear through rather than 2. That said, mine shows no signs of wear after 2 years of hitting balls on it.

Just a cautionary note on the CCE mat: mats which have a thick and heavy nap, like the CCE and Ultimate Monster (now Matzilla), do last forever and give great feedback on fat shots (they grab your club), BUT, your shots will be unduly penalized in distance if caught even slightly fat. I used to play TGC on my SkyTrak with the Ultimate Monster mat, and it quickly taught me to get shallower and pick the ball cleanly if I wanted good distance. When my friends would come over, they'd see around 2/3rd their normal distance because most hit slightly behind the ball or too steep.

I ended up switching to a DIY mat similar to the TrueStrike gel pad mat, that lets the club slide through with little resistance. You still get feedback when fat, but the distance penalty is more like real-life. I wrote up some DIY instructions here: http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/build-your-own/mats-turf-and-flooring/115414-diy-truestrike-gel-pad-4x5-mat-for-around-175

Also, regarding size: my Ultimate mat was 5x3, and I found that a bit too small at my height (6'3") and stance width. I mean, I could hit driver off it, but just barely, and ball position was an issue with the SkyTrak between irons and driver. I consider 5x4 a much more comfortable size, and 5x5 ideal of course.

Just a cautionary note on the CCE mat: mats which have a thick and heavy nap, like the CCE and Ultimate Monster (now Matzilla), do last forever and give great feedback on fat shots (they grab your club), BUT, your shots will be unduly penalized in distance if caught even slightly fat. I used to play TGC on my SkyTrak with the Ultimate Monster mat, and it quickly taught me to get shallower and pick the ball cleanly if I wanted good distance. When my friends would come over, they'd see around 2/3rd their normal distance because most hit slightly behind the ball or too steep.

I ended up switching to a DIY mat similar to the TrueStrike gel pad mat, that lets the club slide through with little resistance. You still get feedback when fat, but the distance penalty is more like real-life. I wrote up some DIY instructions here: http://golfsimulator...-for-around-175

Also, regarding size: my Ultimate mat was 5x3, and I found that a bit too small at my height (6'3") and stance width. I mean, I could hit driver off it, but just barely, and ball position was an issue with the SkyTrak between irons and driver. I consider 5x4 a much more comfortable size, and 5x5 ideal of course.

Thanks for that, updated my list of supplies and will save some money going this route I think.

First project has to be getting my garage cleaned and organized. Previous owner built a monstrosity of space wasting shelves that need to get knocked down and set on fire. Overhead storage with movable work benches, probably a garage sale, then I can move on :)

So what is the best deal now out there on an ST? I see a few online places with it at $1695.