2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mike Emery's Evolved Fundamentals of Golf (Review)

drewtaylor21

Just received a PM from Mike! I'm not sure how much time he'll spend here but I'm hopeful that he'll field some questions for those of us who have the book. I'm excited about that possibility, so let's please keep things civil!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I bought the book and have read through it twice. It definitely takes a close reading to really grasp what he is explaining. I like how he explains the wrist conditions in the release. I always hit the ball as solid as I can when I use those wrist conditions. The problem is I'm good for hooking it off the planet. So I've never figured out how to be consistent with that release.

Hello,

Thank you for the great response and kind words. If you have any questions, please let me know.

The youtube video that I made a couple years back was horrible, I agree. It had 2 major problems. First, I didn't know what I was talking about. Second, I was horrible in front of the camera. That was the only usable footage after 5 hours of shooting. I was young, I needed the money!

I bought the book and have read through it twice. It definitely takes a close reading to really grasp what he is explaining. I like how he explains the wrist conditions in the release. I always hit the ball as solid as I can when I use those wrist conditions. The problem is I'm good for hooking it off the planet. So I've never figured out how to be consistent with that release.

Try standing up to a cart tire (swing very slow, so no injury) as if it is about 2 feet past impact. Swing through very relaxed and let the clubhead go completely. Try a few different through positions, let the toe hit tire, let the whole face hit tire, and let heel hit tire. It won't take long before you have a great feel for where the club face is.

Mike,

Thanks for the book and joining in here. I read your book twice now, excellent piece of work.

Is there some sort of footage out there of your or someone else's swing where one can see the scrunching of the left side?

What exercise would you suggest to strengthen the left wrist and aiding the frisbee flex ion?

I am very glad that you enjoyed the book. I will try to find some good footage or pictures to post. Key to the scrunch is moving the weight to the ENTIRE insideEDGE of the left foot. If you scrunch onto the center of the foot, you'll get trapped and will have to force your way out by straightening the left leg (unhealthy on knee, hip, and back). Left foot has to be able to roll to the outside edge.

I would recommend a short bar with a rope on it, and roll the rope up alternating hands to twist it. No weight required, very tiring on the forearms.

I have the book on my desk as we speak.

And hi Mike! Thanks for dropping in.

On pp 73-76, is the feel the left knee moving down (from the BS) and around while the upper body stays centered? Is this a squat feel that pulls the arms into position?

Thanks!

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Mike..thanks again for replying to this thread..besides the grip and stance how would you recommend implementing your ideas in someone swing. As in if someone comes to you for lesson and already has a decent swing, what do you start working on first and what drills do you start with?

Quite honestly, most first lessons are eyeline, alignment, and club bending. If alignment is poor or clubs don't fit, everything else will not take affect.

Thank you, will try. At the moment my left foot actually comes slightly off in the attempt to shorten the left side, the right knee flexes and the right foot rotates clockwise(!), unfortunately the hips slide quite a bit - maybe I'm overdoing it. It feels like a marching move.

Wrist strengthening drill sounds great!

Can you post a picture or tweet it to me?

Mike..thanks again for replying to this thread..besides the grip and stance how would you recommend implementing your ideas in someone swing. As in if someone comes to you for lesson and already has a decent swing, what do you start working on first and what drills do you start with?

Quite honestly, most first lessons are eyeline, alignment, and club bending. If alignment is poor or clubs don't fit, everything else will not take affect.

Thank you, will try. At the moment my left foot actually comes slightly off in the attempt to shorten the left side, the right knee flexes and the right foot rotates clockwise(!), unfortunately the hips slide quite a bit - maybe I'm overdoing it. It feels like a marching move.

How do you teach people how to scrunch but not get too far to the left doing it? It seems like something a lot of people would overdo.

How do you teach people how to scrunch but not get too far to the left doing it? It seems like something a lot of people would overdo.

Keep the right knee and hip externally rotated as long as you can...? :dntknw:

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I have the book on my desk as we speak.

And hi Mike! Thanks for dropping in.

On pp 73-76, is the feel the left knee moving down (from the BS) and around while the upper body stays centered? Is this a squat feel that pulls the arms into position?

Thanks!

It should feel as though you are falling onto the inside of the left foot, then move to outside of left foot. The roll will stop hip slide. Arms stay relaxed.

Inside edge of the left foot is key. Also hips being lowered and tightened will reduce movement. The tighter the player can make their hips, the less movement needed.

I can still lean left a good bit

Do you mean lean left with the upper body?

PXG Darkness Operator

I can still lean left a good bit

Do you mean lean left with the upper body?

yes, everything falls. don't want hips forcing there way out from underneath during transition.

JUst had a quick browse through the ebook.

As others have mentioned there's a lot to take in on first reading so I'll sit down and read it more thoroughly soon but first impressions are good.

In the downswing, the squat and then left knee and hip movements - are they similar to Monte's bump dump and turn, and similar to the move we see George Gankas promoting in his instagram videos?

Curious as to if anyone saw improvement long term after reading the book? Most books I have read were okay but nothing more. Nothing that changed my swing for the better and stuck. Most of the best books I read have been putting books and the mental aspect of putting.

Just looking for some thoughts for those who have purchased.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

Curious as to if anyone saw improvement long term after reading the book? Most books I have read were okay but nothing more. Nothing that changed my swing for the better and stuck. Most of the best books I read have been putting books and the mental aspect of putting.

Just looking for some thoughts for those who have purchased.

I saw **immediate** short term improvement since getting this book a couple days ago. The transition move advocated in the book, albeit a small piece of the puzzle, seems to be that missing piece that linked everything together that I had been working on the past year. That alone was the price of admission.

PXG Darkness Operator

The supination of the right forearm and flexion of the left wrist in release coupled with the explanation of how the right arm straightens in the downswing is worth 5 times what I paid for the ebook.

As you say it defies logic but once you make the moves it all fits into place. As a flipper with a two way miss this is priceless.

I'm just going to work on this without being to worried about results until I can get it engrained, then move onto other elements.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.