Glasgow, Scotland Course Recommendations

Hi, all:

Dad and I are taking a 10 day golf trip to Scotland next summer. We've got it all plotted out, but could use some recommendations for golf around (within an hour north of) Glasgow. We'll drive from Dornoch to Glasgow the day before our fight out and would like to find a place to play.

Ideas?

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think about:

Pollok GC - Mackenzie course (Cypress Point, Augusta National, and Royal Melbourne)

Haggs Castle - an under rated parkland course in the West of Scotland

Gleneagles - Kings or Queens

My #1 Choice - Blairgowrie Rosemount (Hosted the Junior Ryder Cup among others)

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Blairgowrie or Gleneagles Kings would be your best 2 choices north of Glasgow.

Blairgowrie is about 1½ hours from Glasgow and Gleaneagles about 50mins drive.

If you wanted to play in Glasgow, several parkland style courses worth a visit.

As previously mentioned Haggs Castle(former Scottish Open host), Pollok or Cawder

are also good courses.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

Wow, thanks for all the initial suggestions all. I'll have plenty of further research to do tonight when I get home. The best thing about this trip so far is that its convinced me I'll have to take another trip to Scotland in the future.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

I am also taking a couple of weeks to go back to my native Scotland to golf in September. I will presume you are aware of how expensive it is over there not only for golf but for basically everything. I'm a senior and for the two weeks that I will be there golfing with my nephews I'll say " to hell with the cost " ,,, Hoganboy mentioned a few courses in the Glasgow area and they are very good courses, also heading a bit south from Glasgow, East Kilbride and Strathaven have very nice courses and are always in great condition and very reasonable green fees.

By the way, I will play some of the top courses over there but Mr. Trump can pound his golf courses where the sun don't shine ,, price wise ( and I'm talking Canadian dollars which are not worth much these days ). Trump International in Aberdeenshire $ 1720.00 for our foursome, Trump's Turnberry ( the Ailsa course ) $ 550.00 per player, according to family members who have played Trump International it's a nice course but not worth the green fees that they charge.

Just as a matter of interest here is a few more green fee prices at some of the high end courses ( again in Canadian dollars ) St. Andrews Old ,, $ 360.00 ,,, Carnoustie ( Championship course ) $ 340.00 ,,, Royal Troon ,, $ 450.00 ,, Dornoch ,,$ 265.00 ,,, King's course at Gleneagles ,, $ 395.00 ,,, Cruden Bay ( great links course, superior to Trump International at half the price ) ,,, $ 220.00.

Also, at Turnberry ( I guess to discourage the average Joe ) they charge $ 145.00 to rent a set of clubs for 18 holes and if you happen to be hungry after your round a burger or fish and chips will set you back around $ 35.00. The course at Loch Lomond was mentioned, I presented my RCGA card indicating my seven handicap wishing to play the course and was told by a snotty rude young man that " there is no provisions for green fee players at all ". That was a couple of years ago, policy might have changed.

I do hope you and Dad have a most enjoyable trip, it's a beautiful country with beautiful people.

I am also taking a couple of weeks to go back to my native Scotland to golf in September. I will presume you are aware of how expensive it is over there not only for golf but for basically everything. I'm a senior and for the two weeks that I will be there golfing with my nephews I'll say " to hell with the cost " ,,, Hoganboy mentioned a few courses in the Glasgow area and they are very good courses, also heading a bit south from Glasgow, East Kilbride and Strathaven have very nice courses and are always in great condition and very reasonable green fees.

By the way, I will play some of the top courses over there but Mr. Trump can pound his golf courses where the sun don't shine ,, price wise ( and I'm talking Canadian dollars which are not worth much these days ). Trump International in Aberdeenshire $ 1720.00 for our foursome, Trump's Turnberry ( the Ailsa course ) $ 550.00 per player, according to family members who have played Trump International it's a nice course but not worth the green fees that they charge.

Just as a matter of interest here is a few more green fee prices at some of the high end courses ( again in Canadian dollars ) St. Andrews Old ,, $ 360.00 ,,, Carnoustie ( Championship course ) $ 340.00 ,,, Royal Troon ,, $ 450.00 ,, Dornoch ,,$ 265.00 ,,, King's course at Gleneagles ,, $ 395.00 ,,, Cruden Bay ( great links course, superior to Trump International at half the price ) ,,, $ 220.00.

Also, at Turnberry ( I guess to discourage the average Joe ) they charge $ 145.00 to rent a set of clubs for 18 holes and if you happen to be hungry after your round a burger or fish and chips will set you back around $ 35.00. The course at Loch Lomond was mentioned, I presented my RCGA card indicating my seven handicap wishing to play the course and was told by a snotty rude young man that " there is no provisions for green fee players at all ". That was a couple of years ago, policy might have changed.

I do hope you and Dad have a most enjoyable trip, it's a beautiful country with beautiful people.

Thanks for this!

Yes, we are prepared for sticker shock having already made reservations for our "expensive" rounds at Carnoustie, Jubilee, and Dornoch (balloting the Old Course) and looked up gas prices for the rental car (one part of travel in Scotland seems quite reasonable compared to travel in the U.S.: lodging . . . for what one spends one seems to get a lot in Scotland if you're staying at smaller Inns and family-run hotels). We're looking to fill in gaps with the sorts of places you list above--quality tracks in the 40 - 60 pound range.

But, like you might surmise, this is a long-anticipated trip with Dad, so it was worth saving for and spending on. We're really looking forward to our time playing, but really hope to get to know the people in pubs--especially since we are partly Scots-Irish, or what you (I think) would call Ulster Scots. It'll be exciting to see where we've come from.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Everything you have said there is 'spot on'. Well said Sir!

35 for a sandwich . . . egads. We're hoping to find more reasonable fare in pubs after, rather than always eating at the clubs.

Hey, here is another [somewhat related] question for you. What is customary for visitor use of locker room facilities? I know Brits treat clubhouses/facilities much more as a home away from home than the vast majority of American golfers do. Does that mean that we can expect to have run of showers, locker rooms, etc...for playing as visitors?

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

35 for a sandwich . . . egads. We're hoping to find more reasonable fare in pubs after, rather than always eating at the clubs.

Hey, here is another [somewhat related] question for you. What is customary for visitor use of locker room facilities? I know Brits treat clubhouses/facilities much more as a home away from home than the vast majority of American golfers do. Does that mean that we can expect to have run of showers, locker rooms, etc...for playing as visitors?

Generally you can expect lockers and showers etc, and some clubs will also supply towels. Just depends on the Club, but it's always worth giving the individual Clubs a shout, as it can vary from Club to Club. Because, go to somewhere like Archerfield Links and you even get slippers, complimentary fruit and Lemon Water, and a guy to clean your shoes when you come back from playing your round. But of course most clubs aren't quite as ostentatious as that. But always worth dropping the relevant Club an email, as the variances can be quite marked.

Generally you can expect lockers and showers etc, and some clubs will also supply towels. Just depends on the Club, but it's always worth giving the individual Clubs a shout, as it can vary from Club to Club. Because, go to somewhere like Archerfield Links and you even get slippers, complimentary fruit and Lemon Water, and a guy to clean your shoes when you come back from playing your round. But of course most clubs aren't quite as ostentatious as that. But always worth dropping the relevant Club an email, as the variances can be quite marked.

Good advice, for sure. I'm thinking about it because its February and a Friday afternoon and what else am I going to do when I'm stuck inside at work on a sunny day when I could be out playing? We're playing 36 at Carnoustie and 36 at Dornoch, and I was pretty sure golf shoes wouldn't be allowed in the bar area/clubhouse. I imagine that I'll learn we can just leave shoes in the lockeroom.

At home, I usually out my shoes on in my garage before driving to the course or change in the parking lot!

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Good advice, for sure. I'm thinking about it because its February and a Friday afternoon and what else am I going to do when I'm stuck inside at work on a sunny day when I could be out playing? We're playing 36 at Carnoustie and 36 at Dornoch, and I was pretty sure golf shoes wouldn't be allowed in the bar area/clubhouse. I imagine that I'll learn we can just leave shoes in the lockeroom.

At home, I usually out my shoes on in my garage before driving to the course or change in the parking lot!

Soft spikes are very often allowed in the Public Bar of the vast majority of Clubs. However, as I say, a quick email may be order of the day.

36 at Dornoch you'll love I'm sure. There is a minority of people that don't like or get on with many of the upturned saucer Greens, but the vast majority, including myself, love it up there.

I'm currently in East Lothian, and just got back from playing North Berwick, and whilst the first couple of times I played there, I, perhaps didn't quite appreciate it, but after being paired up with a South African guy who had played there quite a lot, finally, I can now appreciate it much more and the design. It's very subtle and extremely clever. Far smarter piece of Golf Course design for a numpty like me to appreciate first couple of times round, but I get it now, and very much enjoy it more. FWIW the guy I played with, was probably the best 7 handicapper I've seen, personally, I think he was kidding me a bit!! Lol. We both shot a +4 75, and we never had the 15-20mph wind in our favour all the way round, it kept changing and turning into our faces. I came back and played the back 9 in -1, so we were both pretty happy with how we played.

I live in Glasgow, first off, someone mentioned Loch Lomond up thread. You can play the Carrick at Loch Lomond which is decent, but you won't be getting on the big Loch Lomond course unless you are some sort of Hollywood A-lister of Texan oil millionaire - or know one.

The good news is that there are a ton of good courses within an hour of Glasgow. The bigger names - Turnberry (might be closed for Trumping), Gleneagles is an hour away but great fun. And then a few which won't cost as much but are real good. I would seriously recommend Dundonald Links. It is Loch Lomonds sister course, its a Links but it is top quality. You have another couple down there Western Gales and Glasgow Gales but Dundonald is easiest to get a time on and honestly, I think it is the best.

Members courses you might want to investigate which are good and cheaper than everything mentioned above include Hayston, East Renfrewshire, Haggs Castle and Lanark. Lots more of course, it is Scotland.

Sign up for Teeofftimes.co.uk and when you are over set your location to Glasgow or west central Scotland and every day they will tell you special rates on normal courses.

I live in Glasgow, first off, someone mentioned Loch Lomond up thread. You can play the Carrick at Loch Lomond which is decent, but you won't be getting on the big Loch Lomond course unless you are some sort of Hollywood A-lister of Texan oil millionaire - or know one.

Not an A-lister

Not a Texan oil millonaire

Don't know any

Still have played Loch Lomond by having my club make the introduction. :)

I'm going to guess that it helped that a couple of our members were members there at one point but I'm not sure. I think if you belong to a fairly well known club in the US it is worth making an attempt to have your club call. Guest fee was freaking expensive though. I want to say it was around $500 after conversion but it was a several years ago. FWIW, I don't think the course is worth it unless you just want to say you played it. It was too soggy for my tastes when I was there.

Not an A-lister

Not a Texan oil millonaire

Don't know any

Still have played Loch Lomond by having my club make the introduction. :)

I'm going to guess that it helped that a couple of our members were members there at one point but I'm not sure. I think if you belong to a fairly well known club in the US it is worth making an attempt to have your club call. Guest fee was freaking expensive though. I want to say it was around $500 after conversion but it was a several years ago. FWIW, I don't think the course is worth it unless you just want to say you played it. It was too soggy for my tastes when I was there.

It's possible that you played before the ownership had changed hands. Now a days Loch Lomond has tightened up its restrictions on outside play. Believe it or not its now more expensive for a guest to play. I think now it would be over $750 with the conversion which is just a little bit over the top. I was fortunate enough to meet someone who could get me on, but he mentioned that the course gets and stays soggy with any level of rain. Given the silly price, and the fact that it had rained just the other day i decided to skip it and drove straight to Machrihanish. Best decision i ever made.

I find it funny that the most "exclusive" and expensive course in GB was built in the wettest area of Scotland and doesn't drain well.

Gleneagles

Blairgowrie

Crieff

Dunblane

feel free to pm, I used to live in the Stirling area which is the region you are looking around, just depends on the kind of course you want and what you want to spend. Personally in the immediate area I have been a member at: Stirling, Bridge of Allan, Dunblane and Muckhart which is a bit out of the way.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Gleneagles

Blairgowrie

Crieff

Dunblane

feel free to pm, I used to live in the Stirling area which is the region you are looking around, just depends on the kind of course you want and what you want to spend. Personally in the immediate area I have been a member at: Stirling, Bridge of Allan, Dunblane and Muckhart which is a bit out of the way.

Thanks, bud! Crieff looks very interesting and right up our alley; when I get some free time this weekend I'll look over the others and PM with any questions that might pop up.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04