2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wie DQ'd

TigerFrank

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious to know what actually happened. I read the story on espn.com but they didn't explain much other than to say they were out on the green for a while and then they made the ruling. It's tough to imagine that Julie Inkster's former caddie would make that kind of mistake. The way it seems with some animosity toward her instant wealth I wonder if some of the ladies on the LPGA aren't smiling on the inside...

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I was curious to know what actually happened.  I read the story on espn.com but they didn't explain much other than to say they were out on the green for a while and then they made the ruling.  It's tough to imagine that Julie Inkster's former caddie would make that kind of mistake.  The way it seems with some animosity toward her instant wealth I wonder if some of the ladies on the LPGA aren't smiling on the inside...

51019[/snapback]

From The Golf Channel:

PALM DESERT, Calif. -- Michelle Wie's pro debut made her look like an amateur Sunday when she was disqualified for taking a bad drop from the bushes in the third round of the Samsung World Championship.

Talk about a rude welcome less than two weeks after turning pro.

First, Annika Sorenstam blew away the field to win by eight shots, even with a double bogey on the last hole.

Then, the 16-year-old Wie no sooner had signed for a 74 to finish fourth -- $53,126 -- that LPGA Tour officials took her out to the seventh hole to discuss a drop she took the day before.

Nearly two hours later, she was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. Because Wie dropped the ball closer to the hole -- by 3 inches according to her, by about a foot according to the rules officials -- she should have added two strokes to her third-round 71.

``I learned a great lesson,'' Wie said, her voice choking with emotion. ``From now on, I'll call a rules official no matter where it is, whether its 3 inches or 100 yards. I respect that.''

Wie hit a 5-wood into a Gold Lantana bush Saturday and was barely able to find it. She told her playing partner, Grace Park, she was taking an unplayable lie, dropped away from the bush, then chipped to 15 feet and made the par. It was a critical par save, and Wie steadied herself to get within five shots of the lead.

Michael Bamberger, a reporter for Sports Illustrated, told tour officials Sunday afternoon that he was concerned about the drop. Rules officials Jim Haley and Robert O. Smith reviewed tape from NBC Sports before taking Wie and caddie Greg Johnston to the seventh green after the tournament ended Sunday.

``If I had to make the ruling based on the videotape, to me it was inconclusive,'' Smith said.

He had Johnston and Wie show him where the ball was in the bushes, then where they dropped. They paced it off, then used string to measure the distance and determined it to be slightly closer.

``The Rules of Golf are based on facts,'' Smith said. ``They had to tell us where it was. The fact was, the ball was closer to the hole by 12 to 15 inches.''

Wie took three unplayable lies during the tournament, all without the help of rules officials. She twice asked for help, including a favorable ruling from Haley on Friday when she asked for a free drop because of bees swarming in a desert bush on the 14th hole.

She took this drop with confidence, placing tees in the ground from where her ball was in the bush, and within two club lengths of that spot. Asked by Bamberger after the third round Saturday about her drop, Wie said she used ``the triangle thing to make sure that you're not closer.''

``I don't feel like I cheated,'' Wie said Sunday. ``I was honest out there. I did what I thought was right. I was pretty confident. If I did it again, I'd still do that. It looked right to me.''

Rules are rules, but I'm getting tired of hearing about reporters and fans calling rules violations, especially a day later. If someone is to be DQ'd, it should happen immediately, either during the round or just after signing the card, not a day later.

I think it's crap that Wie, or any other player, can play another round only to find out that there was a rules violation in a previous round.

You never see Susie Golfer or Harry Hacker get DQ'd because he/she is never on TV for the rest of the world to see. IMO that makes a "review" situation unfair because it doesn't apply to the entire field, only those on camera.

My .02 FWIW.

I have personally heard PGA Tour caddies interpret rules incorrectly three time, so I wouldn't count on any caddy to know for sure.

I feel badly for Wie--it's a tough thing to have happen. The article said Wie took three drops for unplayables during the tourney, none of which involved a rules official. Wie said she would never take a drop again without an official present. It's easy to see why players call for rulings virtually all the time.

Rules are rules, but I'm getting tired of hearing about reporters and fans calling rules violations, especially a day later.  If someone is to be DQ'd, it should happen immediately, either during the round or just after signing the card, not a day later.

51022[/snapback]

Agree'd after the next round starts everything that happened in the previous round should be set in stone. If I were a player the reported would be shunned for a season. "golly, I didn't think about it till sunday after the tournament was over for wie" (she signed for the final round)

Anyway didn't something like that happen to O'meara....after the tournament was over he was accused of marking the ball wrong. But officials ruled that is was 'too late' to do anything about because the tournament was over

They just showed the drop on TGC again. Pretty ridiculous considering she took a redrop twice because the ball bounced closer to the hole. It's obvious there was no hanky panky going on and she and her caddy were not intentionally trying to do anything against the rules.

I know a rule is a rule....but even when you kill someone, there needs to be reckless, intentional, negligent and knowingly done behavior.

They just showed the drop on TGC again.  Pretty ridiculous considering she took a redrop twice because the ball bounced closer to the hole.  It's obvious there was no hanky panky going on and she and her caddy were not intentionally trying to do anything against the rules.

I know a rule is a rule....but even when you kill someone, there needs to be reckless, intentional, negligent and knowingly done behavior.

51053[/snapback]

I knew this would be upseting to you Reid, I have not seen any of the coverage of it yet. I know this is killing you, sorry. From what I am reading, I don't see how they made such a blunder.

They just showed the drop on TGC again.  Pretty ridiculous considering she took a redrop twice because the ball bounced closer to the hole.  It's obvious there was no hanky panky going on and she and her caddy were not intentionally trying to do anything against the rules.

51053[/snapback]

I knew this would be upseting to you Reid, I have not seen any of the coverage of it yet. I know this is killing you, sorry. From what I am reading, I don't see how they made such a blunder.

51056[/snapback]

John..I'll live to watch her play another day! :drinks: Even if it wasn't her I'd be a little miffed that two hours after the round someone could get dq'ed. I don't know which one is worse...her not knowing and Stad's for reporting it on his own.

hah! what a debut! I love this sort of thing...I'm sorry but it makes LPGA golf more exciting

I feel bad for her, but she has her whole life to make another 4th place finish and she doesnt need the $50 grand, this is a good lesson

51096[/snapback]

You love this sort of thing? I don't get it. What's to love? :drinks:

I had this happen to me during my high school League Finals. I hit a ball into a lateral hazard, and dropped upon the line 'I' thought it went in upon. After I hit my approach shot to the green one of the coaches came up to me and said it was incorrect. So for about 20 minutes we discussed it with my coach and that coach and came to the conclusion to take a 1-shot penalty and re-drop where it was supposed to be. The other coach wanted me DQ'd though :drinks:

That is ridiculous.

It took too long to find out what had occurred and Wie was asked to recreate the situation a day later before she was disqualified because the video was inclusive. The sports illustrated reporter who reported the violation said it was a 3 yard violation. After having Wie recreate the situation it was 12 inches. Could she have been off 12 inches in recreating it.

And we wonder why pro golfers take so long to finish a round. Everytime there is an issue they have to call a rules official because they may be second guess by someone who sees it on television and reports it as a violation.

I know the rules are the rules, but there has to be a better way of handling these situations. I guess Wie will do what she said and call a rules official for everything.

This is a very unfortunate series of events for Miss Wie. However, Alost every week someone is DQ from a PGA event and I've yet to find an explanation on the PGA website. IF this young girl was not receiving so much hype this would be a not event and this thread wouldn't be here. Every golfer makes a mistake now and then. We all do, no one is perfect. So lets get off this and move on.

Bamberger, the reporter, did not see it on TV, he was standing right there!

I think he should have said something then when he saw they they had put the mark to drop the ball too close to the hole. He choose to stay quiet then, he should have choose to stay quiet forever.

The Golf Channel said Bamberger had been a European Tour caddie.

I really agree with 'maamold', the score of a round of play should not be challanged after some time. I think it should only be 1 hour after the score is officially turned in.

Bamberger deliberately waited so he could get Wie DQed and get the bigger story. His excuse for not reporting it to a rules official immediately "I was in reporting mode, I didn't think of it" holds no water.

I'm not so sure that she should have been DQed anyway. The video was inconclusive and she got approval from playing partners. Who is to say that the "role playing" they did a day later was accurate to within a foot?

SI can pretty much forget about an interview in the future.

Agree. Bamberger is a POS. Another jealous reporter who is just upset because they got weekend duty on the LPGA rather than something more important in the sports world. Of course, this is not surprising because being an SI reporter carries with it a duty to be arrogant and pompous, just ask them. Apologies to the SI photographers, you are true class.

I love the fact Bamberger is so concerned about the integrity of golf (as if giving Wie 4th place and $50K could possibly upset the integrity of golf), yet he waits a day to speak up. "I was in reporter mode...." ya, whatever. Isn't it ironic that reporters, who spend a lot of time around people who lie or spin stories, are terrible when it comes to telling their own lies when under pressure?

Tpariff makes a good point about how the better players are subjected to a much larger audience of rules officials than the lesser known players. Tournament officials need a little bit more wiggle room to avoid DQ'g a player. I know the rules and integrity argument but the rules are in place to maintain integrity and to avoid any player getting an advantage over another.

How did Wie's actions show a lack of integrity and did she get an advantage hitting 12 inches closer to the hole? I could see if she took a drop that ended up with a much better lie being a problem, but she still hit from the desert. If she made double from there would the SI reporter be talking about it the next day? I doubt it.

Let's see if the Wie camp freezes out the SI people, I hope they do.

I am tired of hearing the idiots on TV say 'this is why golf is such a unique and special game.' This is the absolute worst part of golf. People cheat all the time, it should not be up to them to report thier own mistakes. This just gives the advantage to the most dishonest players. On the PGA tour (I doubt they could afford it on any other tour) there should be a rules official following every group, keeping score for them and just not allowing a player to do anything wrong.

And it is just retarded that they can diqualify you after a whole round and a half has been played. Once you write down the score on each hole thats what is should be, if no one notices a violation at that time then forget it.

Agree it was pretty shady of the reporter to not say anything until after Wie had completed tournament, to say nothing of the round in question. There are enough gremlins running around any hole at a tournament to have found someone who could have gotten the question to her before she signed the card that day. Ya, I have a thing about playing by the rules, but the lie where she dropped was no advantage -- gnarly rough 5-10 ft above the green is pretty much the same within 15 inches. If this clown is such a knowledgeable individual, he should also have known that if he allowed her to sign her card, she had to be DQed. He's a jerk for not giving her the opportunity to correct the mistake -- if there was one -- or not informing the first official he came across that he thought he had witnessed an infraction.

Agree it was pretty shady of the reporter to not say anything until after Wie had completed tournament, to say nothing of the round in question. There are enough gremlins running around any hole at a tournament to have found someone who could have gotten the question to her before she signed the card that day. Ya, I have a thing about playing by the rules, but the lie where she dropped was no advantage -- gnarly rough 5-10 ft above the green is pretty much the same within 15 inches. If this clown is such a knowledgeable individual, he should also have known that if he allowed her to sign her card, she had to be DQed. He's a jerk for not giving her the opportunity to correct the mistake -- if there was one -- or not informing the first official he came across that he thought he had witnessed an infraction.

51336[/snapback]

That is EXACTLY right. He is exactly the kind of guy that should be taken out back and beaten. As a former caddie, he knew better than anyone what it would mean to not report the infraction until Sunday. He knew full and well what he was doing, and he's a bastxxx for having done it.

I am so tired of people being able to call out rules violations after the fact. No other sport has this in it, even when it's blatant. It's unfair in golf because it's not applied universally. If you happen to do something wrong and happen to have TV coverage on you, some dork sitting in his chair way out in the back country will call you on it. If you don't have the TV on you, you get lucky.

This reporter is a tool and I hope people shun him.

51336[/snapback]

That is EXACTLY right. He is exactly the kind of guy that should be taken out back and beaten. As a former caddie, he knew better than anyone what it would mean to not report the infraction until Sunday. He knew full and well what he was doing, and he's a bastxxx for having done it.

I am so tired of people being able to call out rules violations after the fact. No other sport has this in it, even when it's blatant. It's unfair in golf because it's not applied universally. If you happen to do something wrong and happen to have TV coverage on you, some dork sitting in his chair way out in the back country will call you on it. If you don't have the TV on you, you get lucky.

This reporter is a tool and I hope people shun him.

51361[/snapback]

In my opinion this guy is the lowest of the low. He is scum.

He is a former caddy and he knows full well that if he tells the officials or the player before the round is over, and this was only the 7th hole, that they would then have had plenty of time before the player signed the card to resolve such an issue. He was standng about 20 feet behind Wie throughout the drop process and can be seen on camera.

If he was truly worried about the integrity of the game he had at least 3 hours that same day to make his charge. Instead he waited until after the card was signed on Saturday and then asked Wie about it at the press conference.

In my opinion, when no official or any other press person jumped on his band wagon at that press conference on Saturday, he then made the allegations late on Sunday, full knowing that he was potentially setting up a player for DQ.

I hope the men's and women's players reporter because if he treated one of them this way he is capable of doing the same to any other player to create a great story for Sports Illustrated.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW