2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Going to Japan

NYCgolfer17

Golf partner have been really good for me, but as you said they are franchises or something like that. Found some pretty deep discounts on wedges and used iron sets are abundant. I just went there and they tracked down a 'used' like maybe once or twice T-MB 3 iron with a Modus-125X. Pretty stoked it'll arrive Saturday. They are kind of hit or miss, but I've found some pretty smoking deals there.

Golf5 is, as you said, but I find everything to be on the pricey side. Though you'll see some good deals from time to time on previous previous year models.

Tsuruya has a lot of stock, but mainly off the rack - lots of stiff and SR shafts that I'm not really interested in these days. And lots of shoes, all one or two sizes too small. FML.

Victoria golf in Osaka was actually pretty underwhelming. There's an area called Honmachi where I do a lot of browsing these days. It has a 3 or 4 story Tsuruya, a golf partner, a Honma shop and another independant place that carries mainly used stuff... And there's a Hooters, if you are into that kind of thing.

I try to go to Japan (Tokyo) once a year as Mrs. Luda's family lives just outside of Tokyo in Saitama. Although I haven't gone used golf club shopping yet in Tokyo, I plan on doing some heavy searching the next time I'm there, here are some shops I have noted to go check out.

Golf Partner (Shinbashi)

Golf Garden (Shinbashi)

Kotobuki (Okakimachi)

Golf Craft

Victoria Golf (Shinjuku & Kanda)

Festival Golf (Okakimachi & Shinjuku)

Niki Golf (Okakimachi)

Mizuno Store (Kanda)

Golf Effort (various locations)

Golf Garden (Shinbashi)

Don't forget jypers and golf orange near Shimbashi... They are literally next door to each other

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

Golf partner have been really good for me, but as you said they are franchises or something like that. Found some pretty deep discounts on wedges and used iron sets are abundant. I just went there and they tracked down a 'used' like maybe once or twice T-MB 3 iron with a Modus-125X. Pretty stoked it'll arrive Saturday. They are kind of hit or miss, but I've found some pretty smoking deals there.

Golf5 is, as you said, but I find everything to be on the pricey side. Though you'll see some good deals from time to time on previous previous year models.

Tsuruya has a lot of stock, but mainly off the rack - lots of stiff and SR shafts that I'm not really interested in these days. And lots of shoes, all one or two sizes too small. FML.

Victoria golf in Osaka was actually pretty underwhelming. There's an area called Honmachi where I do a lot of browsing these days. It has a 3 or 4 story Tsuruya, a golf partner, a Honma shop and another independant place that carries mainly used stuff... And there's a Hooters, if you are into that kind of thing.

Yes, I think experiences at Golf Partner will vary from shop to shop, person to person more than at the "big box" stores. I have found some bargains there, too (especially when the closest one closed down...).

I think you're right about Golf5, though I haven't actually bought much from there. Of the big stores, Tsuruya have always been the most ready to knock the price down, but as you said it's all off the rack and lots of S, SR, and R flexes, so I haven't bought that much from them. I did order a T-MB 2i from them as they were the cheapest around by about 1,500 yen, and I got that to my specs. Tsuruya also specialize more in American stuff; I was surprised to see a couple of Edel wedges in a Tsuruya near me a couple of months ago.

For equipment, Victoria are like a slightly more pricey version of Tsuruya; lots of off-the-rack stuff with soft flexes. However, the one near me does have clothes in my size, and I have made some good purchases there when they had a slae on. I'm around 6'3", so golf wear isn't that easy to find here, but Victoria had a reasonable selection in 3L~4L. Got a nice pair of Honma keks there, with free leg adjustment.

I want to try a Niki Golf store, but the closest ones to me are all concentrated in or around Fukuoka city, which is a bit of a hike.

I can see your point there but it's a cultural thing. Sorry to hear that you get that impression that Japanese people are not helpful. I find it more often that since they can't speak English well, they don't want to be involved. They feel that they would be more of an hinderance than trying to be helpful. Also for sure, even Japanese people, believe people in big cities are not friendly.

Anyhow Victoria golf in shinjuku is great to see the latest gear and clothing. 8 floors of golf! It's really close to the station and there's no need for a taxi.

I also like going to the used shops(as mentioned in this thread), I see clubs in great conditions. I hear that a lot of Japanese golfers really take care of their clubs.

Sorry if this thread seems to be diverging from the OP's original intent.

Hopefully, I'm not offending anyone here, but my experience also is that Japanese are not helpful in general, unless you are a customer or potential customer. If you are one, they will go out of their way to provide you with a very good shopping experience but on a general social setting, I've found Japanese to be quite curt and abrupt. I don't understand the language at all, so I may be misinterpreting things.

Just a by-the-by, there is a Honma shop just around the corner from Victoria Golf in Shinjuku. Also, if you are looking for obscure putter brands, go to the 9th level in Takashimaya which is 2 mins walk from Victoria Golf. I bought a Hiro Matsumoto putter there. For outrageous prices on golf equipment and apparel, check out Isetan which is about 8 mins walk away from Takashimaya.

Overall, I find that for new golf equipment (I tend to like to buy new stuff), Bic Camera offers the best value and there are tonnes of Bic Camera outlets in Tokyo. Bic Camera offers tourist tax relief plus 5% discount if you pay by Visa (not sure if it applies to Mastercard but I think it does).

Yes, Golf Partner is mostly a franchise now. I met the 会長 at the PGA Show in February.

I would chaulk up misunderstandings to language/culture; they aren't being rude. Someone in a shop is not usually going to approach you or hound you like in the US. If you need something, you ask and they are very happy to help you.

I don't suffer from the gaijin victim complex about everything. i did at first as I went through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance) about Japan. Once you get to acceptance, life is good and you understand that it wasn't what you thought, :)

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I guess cultural misunderstandings play a big part. Thr thing is though, I'm not even sure I'm considered a gaijin because I'm Chinese by descent but can't speak a word of Japanese. I tried asking for directions on the street. No one was helpful even before I had the chance to speak. Most brushed me off as I approached them. Not that it bothers me though but I was just slightly bewildered why no one seemed to be helpful. Just by way of comparison, I was in Taiwan last year and I could not believe how helpful the locals were. They really went out of their way to help me when I asked for directions.

Also, I don't know if I am being sensitive, but no one, absolutely no one would offer their seats in the subway trains to elderly folk, priority seats or not. Now this cheesed me off slightly because I never seen this in any country that I ever been on holiday before.

Anyway, please don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for Japanese and all other country's cultures. I am just sharing my observations. I am happy to hear what other people's observations have been.

On another note, I really cannot overstate how much I enjoyed shopping at Bic Camera. I bought a pair of Nike Lunar Control 3 for 10,000 yen. That is an absolute bargain. I also bought a pair of Fourteen wedges for less than 20,000 yen!

The top floor of Golf Orange has quite a lot of used shafts for cheap. I saw a number of good condition Tour AD BB6 shafts for about 10,000 yen.

Also don't forget to visit the Mizuno boutique at Ochanomizu. It's fairly near the "guitar street". Victoria Golf Ochanomizu is just the next block down from Mizuno.

For those who like outdoor sports and skiing, there is a Victoria for outdoor sports across the road.

I try to go to Japan (Tokyo) once a year as Mrs. Luda's family lives just outside of Tokyo in Saitama. Although I haven't gone used golf club shopping yet in Tokyo, I plan on doing some heavy searching the next time I'm there, here are some shops I have noted to go check out.

Golf Partner (Shinbashi)

Golf Garden (Shinbashi)

Kotobuki (Okakimachi)

Golf Craft

Niki Golf (Okakimachi)

Mizuno Store (Kanda)

Golf Garden (Shinbashi)

Don't forget jypers and golf orange near Shimbashi... They are literally next door to each other

Actually USA is still the best place to buy golf stuffs :yes:

Depends on what you are looking for. For the most part, used gear in Japan is way cheaper and in better shape than anything I have found in the USA.

New gear is a different story however.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

Actually USA is still the best place to buy golf stuffs :yes:

Depends on what you are looking for. For the most part, used gear in Japan is way cheaper and in better shape than anything I have found in the USA.

New gear is a different story however.

Honestly it depends on the exchange rate as well. In April I was getting 106/107 to a dollar on my work/personal cards. Last July I was getting 123/125 depending on the day. Combine a high exchange rate with 5-8% extra off for using a Visa and zero tax showing a passport and BOOM.....DEALS everywhere on JDM stuff and new previous year JDM/USDM even cheaper.

Now for NEW USDM stuff....Absolutely.... A $379 2016 Scotty here is 45000-47500 all day over there. But when they put Cally/Taylormade/Nike etc on sale...its like rockbottomgolf without the gratuitous price increase during sales.

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

Even the US and European OEMs make better bags though for the Japanese market. Titleist, Callaway, Adidas all have better offerings over in Japan. They aren't even that expensive but unless you buy them over there and carry them back the shipping for bags is prohibitive.

I do realise this post means more to me than probably anyone else. I'm a sucker for bags

You aren't the only one man....I love their golf bags but you are right getting them home is the problem. I've considered buying a travel cover and putting one inside, getting a box and checking one, etc. Can never pull the trigger.

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

The top floor of Golf Orange has quite a lot of used shafts for cheap. I saw a number of good condition Tour AD BB6 shafts for about 10,000 yen.

Also don't forget to visit the Mizuno boutique at Ochanomizu. It's fairly near the "guitar street". Victoria Golf Ochanomizu is just the next block down from Mizuno.

For those who like outdoor sports and skiing, there is a Victoria for outdoor sports across the road.

Golf Partner (Shinbashi)

Golf Garden (Shinbashi)

Kotobuki (Okakimachi)

Golf Craft

Niki Golf (Okakimachi)

Mizuno Store (Kanda)

Golf Garden (Shinbashi)

Golf Orange easy to find? Going up to today.

Yep...if you look at the map I posted above. It's near Shimbashi station. If you Google jypers they are next door to each other. On my map where it says Jypers there's actually two stars right on top of each other. Walking distance to the station as well.

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

Took the trip to Tokyo. What a week!

Stayed at the Baycourt Hotel, a little away from downtown, but the spa on the 26th floor had stunning views of the city.

The lounge and restaurants just below were pretty decent too. As the wife, her parent's and I finished our shark fin soup there was a 5.2 on the Richter scale, just a little warning that there's a spot for me in hell I guess.

The golf stores were alright. I kind of went nuts the last few months and I really don't need anything right now, but for curiosity's sake I had to check out a few places:

BIC Camera was blowing out Titliest 915 Drivers and Fairways. 32000 yen for Drivers and 22000 for FW. A little pissed because I just got a used one (one scratch on the bottom) for 26000 yen. Albeit the Attas G7 in an X was what I was really after... Didn't see any X-shafts in the bin... BIC Camera is rad.

JYPERS is all new gear. No shoes over 27 centimeters. I did like that they had X shafts available in each club. That's rare as well.

Golf Orange, as the man said is right next to Jypers. Lots of used stuff. Surprised to see a few TEE fairway woods... Lots of iron sets. You can find some pretty great deals on one or two year old stuff. Used shafts on the 3rd floor were alright -- not much discount, all things considered (local shops here in Kyoto are less, probably because I go to rich areas and no one buys used) and I am really on the search for one thing -- A G7 for my driver, so will go new.

Near Ueno station I ran came across another shop by accident and had a gander. It was in an old building and my wife thought it smelled funny, so we didn't stay long, but I came across a lot of old Bridgestone sets J's Professional Weapon era stuff with Rifle shafts... Beauties. But, I didn't want to make my wife look at old golf clubs all day.

Outside, the streets were buzzing, lots of action, made me kind of wish I could run around a la Homer Simpson in the Land of Chocolate... Even still, Tokyo is a blast. Went for Yakitori in Shinmachi near the train station, lots of bars and little restaurants and fun to be had. Went for sushi on the last night at a little walk up in Asakusa, my father-in-law calls it the best place in Tokyo and I've no reason to disbelieve him. I am totally spoiled by my wife and my in-laws.

I'll throw a few pics up in a bit.

Took the trip to Tokyo. What a week!

Stayed at the Baycourt Hotel, a little away from downtown, but the spa on the 26th floor had stunning views of the city.

The lounge and restaurants just below were pretty decent too. As the wife, her parent's and I finished our shark fin soup there was a 5.2 on the Richter scale, just a little warning that there's a spot for me in hell I guess.

The golf stores were alright. I kind of went nuts the last few months and I really don't need anything right now, but for curiosity's sake I had to check out a few places:

BIC Camera was blowing out Titliest 915 Drivers and Fairways. 32000 yen for Drivers and 22000 for FW. A little pissed because I just got a used one (one scratch on the bottom) for 26000 yen. Albeit the Attas G7 in an X was what I was really after... Didn't see any X-shafts in the bin... BIC Camera is rad.

JYPERS is all new gear. No shoes over 27 centimeters. I did like that they had X shafts available in each club. That's rare as well.

Golf Orange, as the man said is right next to Jypers. Lots of used stuff. Surprised to see a few TEE fairway woods... Lots of iron sets. You can find some pretty great deals on one or two year old stuff. Used shafts on the 3rd floor were alright -- not much discount, all things considered (local shops here in Kyoto are less, probably because I go to rich areas and no one buys used) and I am really on the search for one thing -- A G7 for my driver, so will go new.

Near Ueno station I ran came across another shop by accident and had a gander. It was in an old building and my wife thought it smelled funny, so we didn't stay long, but I came across a lot of old Bridgestone sets J's Professional Weapon era stuff with Rifle shafts... Beauties. But, I didn't want to make my wife look at old golf clubs all day.

Outside, the streets were buzzing, lots of action, made me kind of wish I could run around a la Homer Simpson in the Land of Chocolate... Even still, Tokyo is a blast. Went for Yakitori in Shinmachi near the train station, lots of bars and little restaurants and fun to be had. Went for sushi on the last night at a little walk up in Asakusa, my father-in-law calls it the best place in Tokyo and I've no reason to disbelieve him. I am totally spoiled by my wife and my in-laws.

I'll throw a few pics up in a bit.

I have fond memories of yakitori dives in and around Ueno station.

I'm impressed you managed to even bring your wife with you. Mine will last about 15 minutes max in a golf shop before she goes all Godzilla on me.

I live in Kyoto. Don't make it out to Tokyo all that often (never actually), but I happen to be going from the 16th-19th. Will be using that map of yours... Just have to plan what to say to my wife... "Isn't there a National Museum near Ueno park, honey?"

I used to live in Kyoto (2000-2004). One of my favorite used club honey holes was Yoshiya golf just west of Toji Temple. I'm sure you can find them on Google. Used to stop in every couple of months and found some great stuff from time to time.

I live in Kyoto. Don't make it out to Tokyo all that often (never actually), but I happen to be going from the 16th-19th. Will be using that map of yours... Just have to plan what to say to my wife... "Isn't there a National Museum near Ueno park, honey?"

I used to live in Kyoto (2000-2004). One of my favorite used club honey holes was Yoshiya golf just west of Toji Temple. I'm sure you can find them on Google. Used to stop in every couple of months and found some great stuff from time to time.

Will check it out!

Best I've seen was the discount on Titleist woods. Also discounts on Ping G30s, Srixons woods and hybrids etc. Basically Bic Camera buys out stock out of an item and then sells it at a big discount. I am planning on hitting the one in Osaka next time I go down.

I don't need anything, aside from a new bag... But you never know.

Man I love BIC camera..that big "playpen" they have full of sale items when you first walk into their golf section. You can usually find some killer deals rummaging through it. Totally stopping there with the wife and kids in July since they basically have everything a family could want!

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

Will check it out!

Be sure to check in the back of the shop near the club workshop area - they used to have a nondescript barrel there with shafts in it they had pulled from various customers clubs. I was in Kyoto visiting friends 2 years ago and stopped by and scored a recently released Crazy shaft for a fraction of it's new price (>$1K).

You know I've thought about taking orders for stuff when I head over there in July. But honestly it feels like it would be a total headache both trying to hunt everything down, getting it back, and selling it to the family.

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

Lived in Tokyo for almost 2 years from '14 - '15. Golf Effort in Hiroo has some amazing JDM used iron sets, but that can be said of almost all of the smaller (non-Victoria) shops. Golf Orange and Jypers are also very good.

I bought my Titleist VG3 irons at Double Eagle Golf a couple of blocks from Ebisu station (it was near my apartment). Almost no English spoken but with my terrible Japanese we figured it out. I could have paid less at one of the previously mentioned stores, but the service was so good I paid a bit more.

After buying the irons I made an appointment for wedge fitting at Cool Clubs in Himonya. I just paid the fee as their equipment prices were high...however the wedge fitting was great. Even before I hit the wedges they measured and spec'd out every one of the VG3 irons. As you might expect from reading this forum, the specs were very tight....

I didn't expect to play much golf while there (I'd heard all of the (true) stories about the expense) so didn't bring my clubs when we moved to Tokyo from California. But I was talked into joining a great men's golf group and decided it would be fun to get Japanese clubs. I hit everything on offer at Victoria golf (Gaien-Mae) and even went to the Fourteen retail store and 2 Mura fitters. The best of both worlds (for me) was Japanese forged craftsmanship in a forgiving design.

At that particular Victoria store there are a ton of demo clubs and 2 hitting areas. I wasn't shy about just grabbing clubs and taking some swings. I think they gave me the 'foreigners exception.' As long as nobody was waiting to hit balls they never said a word to me...just don't spend all day there. And yes, I bought almost all of my accessories (gloves, balls, hand warmers, etc.) at that particular location.

Good luck.

• 4 years later...

I have my spreadsheet mostly ready for the golf stores that I will be visiting in Japan!

This is a longshot, but will be going to Japan this May.  I will be in the Kobe/Osaka area the first half and Yokohama/Tokyo the second half.

Don't know if anybody that currently resides in Japan would like to meet for a round or have a means to arrange a tee time.

I will be fully vaccinated, but completely understand if one is uncomfortable, give the virus situation in Japan.

• Like 1

Taylormade Brnr 11.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li blue 60
Callaway Paradym 3 Hybrid
4-5 Mizuno MP-27 KBS c-taper lite s
6-PW Mizuno MP-63 KBS c-taper r+
50.07, 54.12, 58.10 Mizuno MP-T5 ttdg w
Ping Ketsch