2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Best driver on the market?

keystone_56

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hum.. that's a very personal question.. but here's my $0.02.

My gamer is the R5 TP/Diamana 83 stiff. It's a solid driver. LONG. I've hit the longest drives of my life with this club, and it's firmly planted in the bag.

Then there's the Nike Ignite 460. Great stick. I thought it was extremely forgiving and produced a nice penetrating ballflight. Very underrated club. It's also available with the Diamana for a slight upcharge.

The Ping G5 is a great stick as well. I don't like that it comes standard at 45.75". It was way too long for me to control, and I didn't want to grip down an 1".

For an older driver, nothing beats the R510TP. Man, that's one SOLID club. With the right shaft, it's tough to beat. BEST feel of any club. I just like the removable weights and the 450cc of the R5 TP.

For the Titleist drivers, the 905T (IMHGO) is much easier to hit than the 983K. But there's a 460cc 905 on the horizon as well. I hit the 905T with a YS-6 and a NV 65. Man, the YS-6 was easy, long and very forgiving.

As far as Callaway goes, I would take the 454 every single day of the week and on Tuesday over the FT-3. I've hit some great drives with the 454, and the sound/feel is much better. But that's just me.

Also, don't overlook the Adams 460d. Man, that's a super easy driver to hit, and long too.

I am bidding on a R510 TP right now on ebay. Hopfully i will own it in about 20 minutes. It's a 8.5 with a Fuikura 27.3, got 63 dollars on it with 20 minutes to go, pretty good price i think. How is the forgivness of this club, better then the 983K? The Ignite 410 will be my last Nike club, just like the first generation of Nike's it just dosent have any pop to it though very accurate.

I own a golf shop and have hit everything...almost. The best I have seen for pure performance is the Ping G2 and the Adams new comp top 2 screw 460...and not necessarily in that order. I couldn't work the Ping but the Adams I sure could without any significant yard loss. Adams has figured out the E=MCsquared thing...let's put mass back in the equation. My nickels worth

I agree that it's a very personal decision. Myself, I just replaced my Cleveland Launcher 460 Ti with a Ping G2. The G2 for me has been about equal in length and much more forgiving. The G2 sits squarely at address for me as opposed to closed like the Launcher does ... that was the reason for my change. Also, now that the G5 is out the G2 is "obsolete" and can be had very reasonably. Hope that helps ... no science just personal bias.

The Bridgestone Drivers are the biggest surprise this year for me! The sole dosent look that great, but from address the thing just ooze confidence and don't look closed.

Dan

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade BRNR Mini (24) 13.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
Taylormade Tour QI10 16.5 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X.
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

Originally had the stock black shaft in stiff flex, I hit it the furthest with this shaft but not consistant. Then went to a Graffaloy Blue X, i probebly hit it the best all around with this shaft, but wasnt satisfied, and later tired the Fujikria Tour Platform, soon after it was sold. But i always tended to hook this club, and wasnt crazy about the sound. But definatly the longest driver ive ever hit.

Originally had the stock black shaft in stiff flex, I hit it the furthest with this shaft but not consistant. Then went to a Graffaloy Blue X, i probebly hit it the best all around with this shaft, but wasnt satisfied, and later tired the Fujikria Tour Platform, soon after it was sold. But i always tended to hook this club, and wasnt crazy about the sound. But definatly the longest driver ive ever hit.

52069[/snapback]

exactly what I was afraid of :drinks: the club seems long with stock but erratic, mostly hooks and awfully high. was gonna try the proforce V2 but I'll just sell it now :clapping: cheers

I wouldnt sell it just because of my expirence. I know a guy that plays for a SEC team that plays this driver and loves it. This is a very hot driver at the collegate level, good club just have to get the right shaft. I was just tired of trying to find that shaft.

52096[/snapback]

no , not because of your findings.......after two rounds these have been my also!!!! JHR uses it with the shaft I'm using so I might try it but don't want to get on the shaft wagon :drinks:

I was never a big fan of the Cleveland line either, then after being on this site and all the hype about the Comp, i got one, i can not say anything about this club other than awesome, does everything a driver should do, long, accurate and forgiving, i guess if you don't like those things, don't get a Comp.

My 3 Best Drivers currently: Tour 580 XD and Production also.

FT-3 Tour

Cleveland Comp 460

not in any order, just my 3 best.

for me it's still the FT-3 eventhough I'm going on shaft #4 :drinks:

But I just got a Bridgestone J33R @ 460cc...well it's on the way anyways..so that will be the next challenger.

J340 is always my #1 backup now.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

My R580 XD has an indention along the top of the face, right above the score lines. It is very noticable when you run your finger over the face, it just have a dip about two inches wide. Thier is no noticable crack, but its not right, even sounds diffrent now. The COMP was great when i first got it, i though i would have it for the rest of my life. But deep down my confidence in Titleist drivers took over i guess.

I still hit my 983K just as long as any other driver ive played, if struck solid. On misses it is much shorter. I think i am going to send my R580 XD back, i just wonder what they will send me. As far as clubhead and also shaft. I remember when i was real little i broke a King Cobra and they sent me a newer model because the one i had was discontinued.

i agree the K is a great driver, i have 2 myself, good luck with your search, it is a tough choice and not everyone likes the same thing, but don't be narrow minded and overlook something that may be what you are looking for.

52142[/snapback]

TM sent me a retail r7 for a dented 510-330cc last year...........

If I had to make a choice, I would say Cleveland Comp. Everybody's swing is different though. My swing speed and consistancy didnt keep the R7 in the bag. Not to say it wasnt as good of a head, but the Comp fits me better.

Crazy long, forgiving as hell and sets up real good. That being said I bought a Nike Ignite and had Joe Kwok stick an MW 64 Zcomm from Fujikura in it. I had to give it a try. :drinks:

Hitting some really LONG and accurate drives/ w the 7.5 905S w/ NV75x. Mid launch, low spin, great carry and roll.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Straight retail, no tour models considered, I'd say this:

Straight bang for the buck, IMHO you can't beat the Cally BB 454. With the right shaft installed it's forgiving, straight and long. What more can you ask for? It's a great bargain now that the FT-3 is out.

The Cleveland Launcher 460 and Launcher 460 Comp, again with the right shaft installed, are as good or better than anything out there, too. Probably just a little bit more pricey than the 454 right now, depending on condition.

My .02