2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

I'm in Dana Point CA, 8/20-26 and need some advice.

Stljoe06

Hi gang, I'm new here and thought I would ask for some advice for courses to play the week of 8/20-8/26 when my wife and I are in Dana Point. We are staying at the Ritz Carleton at Dana Point. My wife is attending a seminar all day, my parents are taking the kids, and I am bringing my clubs. :)

I'll have a car, so I can get around, but I'm not familiar with the area. I have done some research and looked back on some old similar threads, but it might be nice to hear about present recommendations and conditions.

As a short background, I'm still new to the game, as August will be my second year of weekly lessons so I still qualify as a high handicapper (Best round is a 91, usually shoot either just below 100 or above if I'm not on my game).

I figure I have a solid 5 days of golf I can get in and have been considering the following:

1) Pelican Hill (either or both courses), I haven't decided.

2) Maderas

3) Aviara

4) Monarch Beach

5 Torrey Pines South

Just for clarification, I can hit it pretty straight and get around ok. I'm not a big hitter (yet...lol) and my golf coach wants me up front, so I'll play front tees. I don't have a Torrey tee time yet, and with the North closed, I wonder if I am going to be out of luck or if I should just plan on trying to get down there early and walk on.

Money is always a consideration, but I don't mind paying high fees for a superior experience even if my game is nowhere near where I am determined to take it.

Are these good ones to consider? Are there better ones I should look at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a vacation trip to hit the big names, looks to me like you've nailed the OC & San Diego courses pretty well. South Orange County is fairly central to all those tracks.

Have fun!

Any recommendations that might be less touristy but really good?

Thanks!

Joe

Oak Creek in Irvine

Also Tijeras Creek in RSM and Arroyo Trabuco in Mission Viejo.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

both Ranchobob & Arpeggi are correct. You've listed the main courses in the area.

Personally I found both Pelican Hill courses nice but a little expensive. I played Torrey Pines (south) before the renovation & it was pretty & challenging.

If you want a break from pricey golf, you might try San Clemente Municipal ($44). The front nine is flat & uneventful, but the back nine climbs into the hills & has some good holes.

For a vacation trip to hit the big names, looks to me like you've nailed the OC & San Diego courses pretty well. South Orange County is fairly central to all those tracks.

Have fun!

Any recommendations that might be less touristy but really good?

Thanks!

Joe

Check Out Arroyo Trabuco in mission viejo. Their head pro Michael Block will be playing in the PGA Championship this weekend. I think weekdays is about $75.00

Their restaurant O'Neills gets great ratings and has a nice setting looking out onto the hillside.

http://www.arroyotrabuco.com/

Also check out Nick's and Lumberyard two good dining options in Laguna Beach.

Torrey to me is a must do. I have a residence card and I will play it over Aviara, Pelican Hill, Maderas any day of the week for the sheer PGA Tour Ambiance/History. Torrey is long and tough. It may be a long and unenjoyable golf experience, memorable, but maybe not so much fun.

If you're willing to drive to Torrey then Trump National is roughly an hour or so the other direction. Depending on political views and wallet size it is something to play and remember. Exquisite conditioning and facility. (Look for cheaper tee times on online booking sites.) Sidebar recommendation is hitting up Nelson's at the Terrenea resort next to Trump after your round. Burgers on the ocean cliff. http://www.terranea.com/palos-verdes-dining

Maderas is meh. I had a deal for $99 to play all you wanted in one day. I played 36. I remember a few holes but the course wasn't that great. Reminded me of others but with more elevation change. If you like elevation changes maybe play there. I'd play Redhawk in Temecula over Maderas for half the price.

Aviara is probably THE top quality facility for public access in Southern California. Conditions will not be better than there, maybe Trump. But Trump lacks a little in design IMO when they had to force 18 holes into what used to be 15 holes.

Tijeras Creek is nice, but forgettable. You'll see Palm Springs golf meets desert golf in their Jekyll/Hyde front 9 to back 9. Arroyo Trabuco, I heard about this place for like 5 years how amazing it is. I saw dried and cracked greens, poor maintenance and we played in 5.5 hours. I will never go back.

Trump is 77min from Ritz, Torrey is 68. Allow me to add one more option. Oak Quarry in Riverside. It's 73min from Ritz. One of the funnest layouts I've ever played and some truly great holes you will remember. The famous Quarry par 3 being up there with Torrey South #3. Can be hot there, so maybe check weather. http://www.oakquarry.com/

Another side bar recommendation. If you like Gelato, listen to me. THE BEST GELATO IN THE WORLD is in Laguna Beach at a tiny place called Dolce. I have traveled Europe for months and that little shop is better than any I've had anywhere. Dolce Gelato, 247 Broadway Street, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 Highly recommend Sea Salt Dark Chocolate, Ferrero Rocher, or Toasted Coconut.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Oh, I have Friday the 26th off work. If you want to do Torrey or Oak Quarry I could possibly meet up for a round that day. Probably too expensive for me to do Aviara, Pelican or Monarch.

Oh, I have Friday the 26th off work. If you want to do Torrey or Oak Quarry I could possibly meet up for a round that day. Probably too expensive for me to do Aviara, Pelican or Monarch.

Damn! We fly out on Friday afternoon. I called Torrey and they told me to check within 7 days of my arrival and snag a slot on line. I think either Monday or Thursday is my day to try for Torrey. I'm playing Monarch on Sunday, Monday possibly Torrey, Maderas on Tuesday, Aviara on Wednesday and likely Pelican on Thursday (or flip flop Torrey and Pelican).

I promised my wife I'd not play Trump courses, Lol.

I'm really looking forward to playing in Cali, as I've never played there before.

I guess I should say if anyone is up for joining me, let me know.

Joe

FWIW, I'd double down on the Oak Quarry recommendation.

I've played Pelican, am a "member" at Oak Creek (public member is a joke really, unless you play a metric buttload), Torrey Pines South, and Tijeras Creek among many others.

Personally I like Oak Creek and it's the same architect as Pelican, but comes up,way short on views--and greens fees.

Oak Quarry is my hands down favorite in SoCal. But it gets unconscionably hot and windy out there, so know before you go. Rustic Canyon, if you're a Shackelford fan, is a fun track, but a long, long drive from South County.

I still need to play Aviara and Soboba Springs. The Nationwide goes through the latter and the LPGA the former.

Another too damned far away course is Oak Valley in Beaumont. They used to host second stage Q School. I love it, but at 90+ minutes from OC, it's hard to justify, especially with all the construction at the 91/15 interchange.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played Pelican, am a "member" at Oak Creek (public member is a joke really, unless you play a metric buttload), Torrey Pines South, and Tijeras Creek among many others.

Personally I like Oak Creek and it's the same architect as Pelican, but comes up,way short on views--and greens fees.

Oak Quarry is my hands down favorite in SoCal. But it gets unconscionably hot and windy out there, so know before you go. Rustic Canyon, if you're a Shackelford fan, is a fun track, but a long, long drive from South County.

I still need to play Aviara and Soboba Springs. The Nationwide goes through the latter and the LPGA the former.

Another too damned far away course is Oak Valley in Beaumont. They used to host second stage Q School. I love it, but at 90+ minutes from OC, it's hard to justify, especially with all the construction at the 91/15 interchange.

Just go to Oak Valley and Soboba and do 36 in a day. Just not in the summer. Should be easy, rounds are pretty quick, courses aren't packed.

OP, how did it go?

• 3 weeks later...

Torrey to me is a must do. I have a residence card and I will play it over Aviara, Pelican Hill, Maderas any day of the week for the sheer PGA Tour Ambiance/History. Torrey is long and tough. It may be a long and unenjoyable golf experience, memorable, but maybe not so much fun.

If you're willing to drive to Torrey then Trump National is roughly an hour or so the other direction. Depending on political views and wallet size it is something to play and remember. Exquisite conditioning and facility. (Look for cheaper tee times on online booking sites.) Sidebar recommendation is hitting up Nelson's at the Terrenea resort next to Trump after your round. Burgers on the ocean cliff. http://www.terranea....s-verdes-dining

Maderas is meh. I had a deal for $99 to play all you wanted in one day. I played 36. I remember a few holes but the course wasn't that great. Reminded me of others but with more elevation change. If you like elevation changes maybe play there. I'd play Redhawk in Temecula over Maderas for half the price.

Aviara is probably THE top quality facility for public access in Southern California. Conditions will not be better than there, maybe Trump. But Trump lacks a little in design IMO when they had to force 18 holes into what used to be 15 holes.

Tijeras Creek is nice, but forgettable. You'll see Palm Springs golf meets desert golf in their Jekyll/Hyde front 9 to back 9. Arroyo Trabuco, I heard about this place for like 5 years how amazing it is. I saw dried and cracked greens, poor maintenance and we played in 5.5 hours. I will never go back.

Trump is 77min from Ritz, Torrey is 68. Allow me to add one more option. Oak Quarry in Riverside. It's 73min from Ritz. One of the funnest layouts I've ever played and some truly great holes you will remember. The famous Quarry par 3 being up there with Torrey South #3. Can be hot there, so maybe check weather. http://www.oakquarry.com/

Another side bar recommendation. If you like Gelato, listen to me. THE BEST GELATO IN THE WORLD is in Laguna Beach at a tiny place called Dolce. I have traveled Europe for months and that little shop is better than any I've had anywhere. Dolce Gelato, 247 Broadway Street, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 Highly recommend Sea Salt Dark Chocolate, Ferrero Rocher, or Toasted Coconut.

Right! It's no wonder Arroyo was recently torched to the ground!

And you can't beat Dolce.

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

• 1 month later...

I'll go with Ranchobob on this one and recommend Oak Quarry. I played it with him on one of my many trips out there. It is an amazing course with some stunning views. One of the more scenic courses I've ever played.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Strange question here... I am trying to find a public course with a shower facility in the OC area on the way from Carlsbad to John Wayne Airport.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you're starting in Carlsbad and going north to OC, Aviara has great showers. Locker room is equipped with towels too. Just walk in the loo like you're using the John, and keep walking all the way back to the showers. There's a dry sauna too. Used to be a Four Seasons so it's cherry. And you'll be fresh for the drive north. Or Talega in San Clemente used to, though a little out of the way.

I find myself in these situations too, then put my 24 hour fitness gym membership to good use.