Baseball grip....Woooooow...

Ezgolfer

Works great
I have been struggling lately with my Irons.One of my collegue recommended this to me.
I have never hit the ball so solid straight and consistent.It will take some time for direction control.I can hit long irons now.
I have tried this with my hybrid and 3 wood with similar results. Somehow the swing feels free and natural
Not too many people recommend this grip besides Moe Norman.
Anyone else with experience with his grip? Does it point to any flaws in my previous set up or swing with interlocking grip?

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The baseball grip is a solid choice. You have all of your fingers on the club and get the feeling of total control.

I would switch people to the baseball grip if they were having trouble squaring the head at impact. It also works great for women, seniors, and juniors. Not the traditional thing to do, but I would switch people over to it and they loved it.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

i have women sized hands (cadet small glove size actually) and the baseball grip is the only way i can hold onto the club. anything else feels like it will fly out of my hand.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

not sure but the post 3 up sounds like a dig on the baseball grip, like it's only useful for lesser players...

anyhow, i started with the baseball grip, and have been working on an interloicking for a few months now, but still go back to the baseball, when i start to struggle with huge hooks...

How is my post a dig on the baseball grip?? Please enlighten me with your theory about my post and also let me know where in my post I said that it was only useful for lesser players???

"The baseball grip is a solid choice. You have all of your fingers on the club and get the feeling of total control.

I would switch people to the baseball grip if they were having trouble squaring the head at impact. It also works great for women, seniors, and juniors. Not the traditional thing to do, but I would switch people over to it and they loved it."

I was a golf professional for 15 years and have given well over a thousand lessons. I was just sharing my experience and how I used it in teaching.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I was toying around with trying it. My hands are not that big, and I have developed a case of the "rights" even worse than usual.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

not sure but the post 3 up sounds like a dig on the baseball grip, like it's only useful for lesser players...

anyhow, i started with the baseball grip, and have been working on an interloicking for a few months now, but still go back to the baseball, when i start to struggle with huge hooks...

Sorry if you don't like to hear the truth, but it is only useful for lesser players. And Bob Estes. I don't know a single low handicapper who wouldn't chuckle at a person playing a baseball grip.

I started with a ten finger grip and got down to scratch with it! Took me about 6 months to get used to an overlap grip.

It's a great way of learning how to release the club properly. I'm sure there's a few European Tour players using it and I think I remember Butch Harmon saying that Tiger plays certain pitch chots with a baseball grip.

Sorry if you don't like to hear the truth, but it is only useful for lesser players. And Bob Estes. I don't know a single low handicapper who wouldn't chuckle at a person playing a baseball grip.

So if someone doesn't use a "proper" grip, they are less of a player? Ever heard of Moe Norman, probably one of the greatest ball strikers ever to NOT play the game on the PGA? Thanks for being pompous enough to admit your game is better than some elses.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I also use the ten finger grip. Not a thing wrong with it. Don't ever let anyone give you that nonsense about it not being the "TOUR" grip. Was Lee Trevino's swing the "TOUR" swing? These "Experts" really make me chuckle.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I started with a ten finger grip and got down to scratch with it! Took me about 6 months to get used to an overlap grip.

It's a great way of learning how to release the club properly. I'm sure there's a few European Tour players using it and I think I remember Butch Harmon saying that Tiger plays certain pitch chots with a baseball grip.

More info! Haha, just wondering exactly what kind of pitches he uses the baseball grip on and why? I'm just wondering what kind of effect switching from interlock to baseball would have (I mean for the purposes of that single shot)

ignorant son of a....

anyways, whatever works, people like this thing i quoted obviously don't realize that nothing matters to the golf ball except those couple of feet in between your legs, the impact zone, so whatever gets you hitting the ball solid....well if it aint broke don't fix it...

More info! Haha, just wondering exactly what kind of pitches he uses the baseball grip on and why? I'm just wondering what kind of effect switching from interlock to baseball would have (I mean for the purposes of that single shot)

I'm not 100% on the type of shot he played with it mate.

I think it was because he actually wanted to create a flipping action at the ball instead of a 'normal' release but I could be way off. I'm hoping that someone else can chime in on this.

I'm not 100% on the type of shot he played with it mate.

I think it was because he actually wanted to create a flipping action at the ball instead of a 'normal' release but I could be way off. I'm hoping that someone else can chime in on this.

I would hypothesize he would use it out of deep rough (us open) when you need more leverage.

In an issue of golf digest a few years back Tiger said he uses the 10 finger grip for low hooks out of trouble and for low chip shots he wants to run. I think that what he said, it was a few years ago. Anyway, since that article, I have used the 10 finger for low ripping hooks and it seems to work well. I just wish I didn't have to use it to get out of trouble so often.

In an issue of golf digest a few years back Tiger said he uses the 10 finger grip for low hooks out of trouble and for low chip shots he wants to run. I think that what he said, it was a few years ago. Anyway, since that article, I have used the 10 finger for low ripping hooks and it seems to work well. I just wish I didn't have to use it to get out of trouble so often.

I was wrong, it wasn't for low ripping hooks, that's just me. He does use it to get his chips to run out. Here is the article.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HF..._53/ai_93487353

I was wrong, it wasn't for low ripping hooks, that's just me. He does use it to get his chips to run out. Here is the article.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HF..._53/ai_93487353

Thanks for finding that mate.

I thought I might have dreamt it!

I used the ten finger and stuck with it for 6 years. It helped me keep the ball down when needed and was fantastic for hitting predictable shots out of the rough and other troubled lies/spots. However, it can create consistancy issues with release points. Can make easier to flip at it at impact and other subtle hand movements/manipulations at impact. Made it tough in soft/wet conditions. Also made it too much work to work the ball, which I like to do.

I finally gave up on it because when I struggled it was side to side. Went back the interlock and now when I struggle it is only one side and I have some flexibilty to get through it.

There are quite a few pro women golfer who use the ten finger in trouble spots and bunkers because it promotes a steeper attack angle which is useful in those situations.

Boba- your "truth" sounds more like your opinion, which you are entitled to, but you should realize the following: The greatest ball striker in the history of the game (Moe Norman) used a baseball grip and one of the absolute greatest teachers in the history of the game (Harvey Penick) advocated this grip as a viable grip with no particular downsides or player capability distinction.