2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LH irons

slim

I've built almost every club I've played for close to 10 years. I lost my work bench due to a move a couple of years ago and am not that equipped to build clubs at the moment. I could change that, but I don't know if it's worth the investment at the moment.

I play the Golfsmith Tour Cavity irons with Rifle 4.5 shafts. These heads could easily be 7 years old by now. I don't remember exactly when I built the set, but it's been awhile.

It's time to get some new irons. I want something a bit more forgiving and contemporary, but I'd like to retain as much feel as possible and some playability. Ironically, I'm a better player than ever and I'm looking for more help from technology. That said, I'm not that great. I don't have an index, but I'd be about a 15 if I had one. Though if I keep hitting it like I am now, it would drop a few strokes sooner than later.

I'm 51 years old, 5'10", 145 lb. I'm not going to tell you I'm banging 'em off the net at the back of the range. I'll fly a 5 iron in calm conditions about 150, though I'll hit it a bit further on my best swings. My tempo is pretty smooth, my backswing isn't real long. I have no trouble getting the ball into the air. I'm not a slicer. I don't need a huge, oversized head, lots of offset, a thick topline. I want help with distance while retaining feel and some control.

The biggest factor in getting clubheads is that I'm a lefty. Trouble, I know. The selection sucks. For the first time in years, I'm even considering a storebought set, something like the Mizuno MX-25. I'm open to other suggestions if that might be too much of a players club.

I'm also looking at playing graphite in my irons for the first time. Again, age and strength level are the impetus. I'm in pretty good shape, really, but it strikes me that this could benefit my game. I'll build, or have built for me, a test club.

Any recommendations, anyone, about which head/shaft combo that's available for lefties might be worth a look and a test club? I'm very disappointed by the choices I see in the Golfsmith and Wishon catalogs for left handers. I'm open to name brand suggestions, too. It's the shaft choices that concern me with those.

While we're at it, I'd listen to wood suggestions, driver, 3 wood and hybrid if anyone's offering.

Thanks for any interest.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it's in your budget, miura makes some absolutely gorgeous irons and wedges for lefties...callaway has been making some pretty decent left hand irons lately the x-forged and x20 tours are available left handed...

Tm Stealth 2 plus proto driver w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Green 60

Tm Stealth 2 #3 and 5 woods w/ Fuji Nx Speeder Blue 70

Tm P7mc 4-pw w/ KBS $ taper 130 soft stepped 

Tm MG3 50,54,58 w/ KBS Tour

Tm Spider X Tour w/ KBS One Step putter

Tp5x balls

Vessel Carry bag

How much are those Miura cavity backs? Are they very forgiving or are they more bladelike?

I'd be fine with those Callaways, but I think the shafts may be heavier and with higher bend points than I'd prefer. I neglected to mention that the Rifle 4.5's I'm playing are Rifle Lites. Not that I can't reshaft them, but paying that much money for just the heads seems kind of crazy to me. Though if it's a great set that fits me right, it'll be worth it.

leftybomber, let me get clear on this suggestion. You're referring to a 2005 set of r7 TP cavity backs? I'll hunt around. Why that particular year?

Howdy Slim, welcome to the forums. :bad: Considering how long it's been since you've changed out your irons, you can't go bad with any of the newer offerings out there, and it's a good time to be a lefty as we have more options available to us than ever before. One thing you might consider is having the lofts/lies of your current irons checked, if you haven't already. This will give you a better baseline for what your distances might be, especially if you haven't had them checked since you built them. :)

If you're looking at MX-25, I wouldn't bother with the previous two suggestions...good irons to be sure, but both will set you back well over a grand (and the 2005 lefty TP's are crazy rare), and neither are particularly forgiving (which is nice talk for: players only!). Miura's are plenty bling though. :ok:

One good set that I recommend are the Srixon I-506's. They've got enough cavity to be plenty forgiving, but they hide it very well, I think. The sole is wide enough that it lowers the center of gravity so it's easy to get the ball up in the air. Loft is off of a 46* pitching wedge, but it's an even transition down to the 3 and 4 (which are spaced 3* rather than 4*). Upside to the Srixons is that with the I-701's coming out soon, prices are dropping on the 506's. Plus, Srixon offers free shaft upgrades, for all they offer, good selection too (I've got the true temper black gold in mine--very smooth feeling, tight dispersion, high lauch, but flattens nicely).

Driver and Fairway, again--with all the improvement made to equipment over the last decade, you can't go too bad. Lotsa people liking Cobra though, in both driver and fairway. But you really can't go wrong as long as you try a bunch of stuff out, maybe hit the launch monitor.

:hi:

Thanks for the greeting, beruo. I've been looking for a golf resource like this one and am happy to see what it has to offer and the level of discourse that's here.

At first glance, I'm not finding any LH versions of the Srixon iron, but I'll keep looking and surely I'll track some down, on eBay if need be.

It's the irons that are old, not the woods. I'm playing Snake Eyes 600T driver and 3 wood heads with Attack Lite shafts. They're a couple years old. The heads are fine, but the shafts probably have too low of a ball flight for me. I may reshaft soon.

I do want a game improvement head. I'm striking the ball better than I ever have, but I'm still a double digit handicapper type.

I'll track down some of those Srixons and see what I think.