Ping anser clean up

scruffynick

Just bought this cracker off ebay for nearly nothing but I'm wondering what's best to bring it back to life a little. It's been in a garage for years for an old chap who actually lives on my street (that was very handy)

I was thinking over night in a bucket of coke? Suggestions please as I don't want to damage it in any way, so leaving alone might be best too?!! Ta

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS or MgBr? Doesn't appear to bad in that pic. Might start with a soapy scrub with a stiff bristle brush. #0000 steel wool to spritz up the shaft. If MgBr, a coke soak is going to remove patina. But since its a garden variety Anser, no big deal (IMHO) if that's needed for a proper cleaning. I don't get to hung up with the "don't touch it" side of the argument. Have had to do a full soak on a couple of old Pings to get the accumulated grunge off. The lost patina has been gradually returning.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

SS or MgBr? Doesn't appear to bad in that pic. Might start with a soapy scrub with a stiff bristle brush. #0000 steel wool to spritz up the shaft. If MgBr, a coke soak is going to remove patina. But since its a garden variety Anser, no big deal (IMHO) if that's needed for a proper cleaning. I don't get to hung up with the "don't touch it" side of the argument. Have had to do a full soak on a couple of old Pings to get the accumulated grunge off. The lost patina has been gradually returning.

The flash has made it look better I think, but I'm going with the scrub and bristle first! It feels beautiful along my carpet!

Great!!! Become quite smitten of late playing old Ping putters. A BeCu Zing 2 has been my goto this fall. Couple of MgBr Ansers (Std. and 3) have seen some rotational playing time as well. Weighted them up a bit with several layers of high density lead tape on the sole. They are on the light side, the extra weight seems to steady the stroke. Especially on shorter putts. And if a new grip is needed, a Ping PP58 is the only correct Anser.

May you make lots of putts. A classic putter for good reason.

Great!!! Become quite smitten of late playing old Ping putters. A BeCu Zing 2 has been my goto this fall. Couple of MgBr Ansers (Std. and 3) have seen some rotational playing time as well. Weighted them up a bit with several layers of high density lead tape on the sole. They are on the light side, the extra weight seems to steady the stroke. Especially on shorter putts. And if a new grip is needed, a Ping PP58 is the only correct Anser.

May you make lots of putts. A classic putter for good reason.

I had an anser 4 growing up but I can't remember what happened to it, but as I've been putting together a classic ping bag I just wanted a ping anser. Just had to laugh that I managed to find one that was 8 houses up my street!

Have had a Anser 4 on my radar for some time. Like the look of a flow neck more so than a plumber's. Maybe why I've putted reasonably OK with the Zinger. Just haven't run across one yet for the right price. But as always with classic golf clubs......."They are where you find them". So one will reveal itself eventually.

Pics of the Ping bag once fully assembled will be required.

Have had a Anser 4 on my radar for some time. Like the look of a flow neck more so than a plumber's. Maybe why I've putted reasonably OK with the Zinger. Just haven't run across one yet for the right price. But as always with classic golf clubs......."They are where you find them". So one will reveal itself eventually.

Yep, pics soon but finding a decent white ping bag is proving difficult!

I was without a putter when I was in the Lake District recently, and borrowed an Anser off Stixman when we played at Morecambe. I'd never played with one before, and holed just about everything with it. I returned home one club heavy and £20 lighter. Well worth the outlay ! Can't miss on the carpet so far this week LOL

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I was without a putter when I was in the Lake District recently, and borrowed an Anser off Stixman when we played at Morecambe. I'd never played with one before, and holed just about everything with it. I returned home one club heavy and £20 lighter. Well worth the outlay ! Can't miss on the carpet so far this week LOL

With the weather the last week the carpet is the only thing I'm putting on! It's been wild, wet and friggin freezing up north

Yep, pics soon but finding a decent white ping bag is proving difficult!

Just buy a new one; a Ping L8. They come in white with discrete logo. It's a perfect bag for a set of vintage Ping clubs. I almost bought one myself, but being the cheapskate that I am went for a single strap Callaway instead (at about half the price on sale). Which was fine for me because my vintage bag is mixed including Callaway, Stan Thompson, Precision, RAM and Ping clubs.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Re. refurbishment, personally I'm of the mind that would regrip and pretty much leave it at that. Got no objection to cleaning off actual dirt, but having brasso'd one bronze anser I would not do another.

I used Barkeepers Friend on my manganese bronze Zing and it worked out beautifully. Sitting in a damp cart barn that putter was a combination of white and green oxidation. Removed all the crud which was essential in my mind to stop the oxidation process. The completed project isn't polished, but rather a raw metal appearance that has since developed a nice patina, more golden than the chocolate brown that you see with BeCu. We heat and cook with natural gas. I have often wondered if that "aids" in the aging process of raw metals as there is going to be a certain amount by-products of combustion within the confines of our home.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Re. refurbishment, personally I'm of the mind that would regrip and pretty much leave it at that. Got no objection to cleaning off actual dirt, but having brasso'd one bronze anser I would not do another.

I'm thinking of going along that idea, it's looks great at address and feels perfect so why mess??

I agree. For all that Karsten is touted as a design genius, I'm amazed at how good many of his designs sound and feel. I've got ansers in bronze and steel, and both feel great. I was a bit disappointed by the B60 - like the look, but very much the poor relation for me once actually hitting balls.

BTW - that's another option for you, since you're already on this path. Get a SS Anser 2 and all questions of refurbishment are rendered moot.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody nice indeed mate. Sometimes, to achieve a proper refurbishment, have to start over. Get the grunge off. The patina will return in time. Think I like the bronze hue just as they begin to darken and loose their shininess the best. Compared to the very dark coloration that is the typical "as found" color.

"Chuffed", like it. Added to my list of British colloquialisms to drop at the appropriate moment.

Bloody nice indeed mate. Sometimes, to achieve a proper refurbishment, have to start over. Get the grunge off. The patina will return in time. Think I like the bronze hue just as they begin to darken and loose their shininess the best. Compared to the very dark coloration that is the typical "as found" color.

"Chuffed", like it. Added to my list of British colloquialisms to drop at the appropriate moment.

It's very northern, not many in London would be saying it but they'll get your meaning!

It's very northern, not many in London would be saying it but they'll get your meaning!

I seem to recall the term being used in New Zealand.

[Edit]Let me check my tee shirt with all the NZ slang printed on it in the outline of the islands...

Yup, it's there!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I seem to recall the term being used in New Zealand.

[Edit]Let me check my tee shirt with all the NZ slang printed on it in the outline of the islands...

Yup, it's there!

Interesting, well my cuz lives in Christchurch so he'll fit right in!