2017 Annual WRX Kansas City Outing; Volume 2.5

Smitty1304

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, Hopefully this will help some of you:

#1 - Par 4 - Slight dog leg left, but once you reach the top of the hill it is wide open in front of you. Favor the left side of the fairway if you can due to the green being slightly slanted and the possibility of being blocked out by a big tree on the right side.

#2 - Par 4 - Shorter Par 4 down hill. Depending on the tee you play from, and how big a hitter you are, you can get fairly close to the green if you want to cut the corner, but there is a lateral hazard over there. Pay close attention to the pin placements, back is very hard to get to, and left behind the bunker is a sucker pin.

#3 - Par 3 - Usually plays slightly longer than you think. If the pin is in the middle there green almost makes a U shape in the middle, funneling shots toward the middle. Bunkers guard both left and right however, as well as another hazard right

#4 - Par 4 - Another tee shot decision - Stay short of the fairway bunkers, or try to blast over them. If you can make it over them you have a great birdie opportunity. Be careful of tee shots right, both a hazard and being blocked from getting to the green await.

#5 - Par 3 - If you are playing the tips, this thing is a beast, almost 240 to the middle. A bunker guards the front right. Thankfully is usually plays downwind.

#6 - Par 4 - Short Par 4 where you can cut a bunch off if you can cut the corner around the dog leg left. If you can, its go time with a short wedge shot in. If the pin is back you HAVE to clear the ridge in the middle of the green, or your shot will spin back to the front and you will have a very hard 2 putt.

#7 - Par 5 - Long par 5 which usually plays into the wind. From the tips is 580, and plays longer. Multiple fairway bunkers that all need to be avoided because they are all new soft sand. The green has many subtle breaks.

#8 - Par 4 - An accurate tee shot is key, leading to an uphill approach. Even if you have slope on your rangefinder, id suggest probably at least a half a club extra on your approach. To many times your ball will hit the bank and bounce back.

#9 - Par 5 - Shorter Par 5. If you can catch the downslope on your drive you are home in 2. But, OB left and Woods right so make sure you are careful. You may be blocked on your approach if you are to far right, and "Shaq" the tree may knock some approaches out of the air.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

#10 - Par 4 - Short uphill Par 4. Make sure you take enough club on your second shot because you do not want to be in the bunker. Don't read too much break on this green as I have over read lots of putts to find out they are almost straight...

#11 - Par 3 - Downhill Par 3. About 10 yard downhill, but doesn't always play that much down. Small bunker short and another bunker long make your tee shot a little harder than it looks. A false front will reject any short shots

#12 - Par 4 - If the wind is right, this could be driveable from the blues, but accuracy is a premium, so I wouldn't advise it from any tee (although I try way to often). Again, take about half a club more to an slightly elevated green, that does have a backstop to help.

#13 - Par 5 - Last par 5, and fairly straight forward. I like to hit a slight cut off the big tree on the left side of the fairway and usually have a shot at the green in 2.

#14 - Par 4 - Tight driving par 4. Woods left and right. AVOID the bunker to the front right of the green as that is dead and you will most likely have a plugged lie.

#15 - Par 4 - WIDE open par 4, but be careful of the fairway bunker right. If you carry that you'll hit the speed slot and have a great shot at the green. There is a lake left and a bunker front left so middle of the green is the safe play if the pin is back left.

#16 - Par 4 - short par 4, which the added a tee box to the back to have you hit back over the lake. There are multiple fairway bunkers about 90 yards from the green that do come into play no matter which tee box you hit from. Fairly easy hole, as long you keep it in the short stuff.

#17 - Par 3 - Downhill Par 3. Great hole as long as the wind isn't howling in your face, which it usually is not. Yellow staked water hazard up front and hazard right. you can use a couple of the slopes on the green and the left of the green to funnel the ball back onto the green if necessary. Otherwise, just don't be short... :)

#18 - Par 4 - Long par 4. Great finishing hole if you like to have one of the hardest holes on the course to finish with. From the Tips you need to fit you tee shot between the two sets of fairway bunkers. You will still have a mid-iron into the hole. Anything past those bunkers will be a great shot off the tee, and leave you many options for your approach. It usually plays into the wind though, so it does play longer that expected. (I have told them if they add another tee box it would make a great finishing par 5).

I should probably print those out for myself as I usually get lazy playing a course I know so well.

SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

Good luck to all of you tomorrow and hope you have a great time.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

812e718c6f98f9c72447b0c6ac854588.jpg

2ab5693c021e1f06c3d3cc5284885051.jpg

63d8d6c30dcfd1a6f7bc1881c915307b.jpg

b43c5532e7d98f346e2412de950f3fca.jpg

f7c78634ad00fa1466c9bfab797520ee.jpgc47312864b2f80465ee6836fe8e3779c.jpg

Few pics from today. Couldn't have asked for better weather and I had a great time. It was nice to meet everyone and unfortunately couldn't stick around for some beers as I have to head to a wedding .

Q and I were sitting on the patio having a beer wondering where everyone went. I also had a great time. Looking forward to next year and hopefully a few random rounds in between.

Sorry I had to take off as well. My wife and daughter showed up earlier than I thought.

Glad everyone had a good time. If anyone wants to play shoal (or elsewhere) in the future hit me up.

SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

Thanks for putting it together, Kai. Had a great time and was nice to meet all of you.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I grabbed a tee time after your tournament is done on Tuesday Q, hope the greens run faster than today...

It would be great to do this more than once a year, I am always looking for other people to play some golf with when I am in town.

SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

I grabbed a tee time after your tournament is done on Tuesday Q, hope the greens run faster than today...

I have a feeling they will be a little quicker. They were just a foot or two slower than they looked today. Course was in great shape tho.

Taylormade TP5

If anyone wants to play the tips with me (CallawayLefty?), I'd like to in preparation of the KC Fourball starting Monday at Shoal.

So how'd you guys do for day one? Did getting out Saturday help at all?

Well, I was at the course for about nine hours today due to three separate long severe weather delays. Conditions weren't easy, we shot 68 and but left a few out there with two bad bogeys.

Taylormade TP5

If anyone wants to play the tips with me (CallawayLefty?), I'd like to in preparation of the KC Fourball starting Monday at Shoal.

So how'd you guys do for day one? Did getting out Saturday help at all?

Well, I was at the course for about nine hours today due to three separate long severe weather delays. Conditions weren't easy, we shot 68 and but left a few out there with two bad bogeys.

Didn't even consider the weather that came through. Sounds rough. At least tomorrow will be better weather. Good luck.

My shop is about 2 miles from the course and I was thinking how crazy a day it must have been. I don't think I would have held up well with those delays. I'll probably be teeing off when you guys are finishing up tomorrow. Good luck. Make a run at them

SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

T4 and in the second-to-last group. 4 back of the leaders, only 1 back of T2.

Taylormade TP5

68-68 to finish T6 and qualify for the Heart of America Fourball at Topeka CC. Neither of us played well, but we ham & egged well and bounced back from a double-bogey on the first hole.

Taylormade TP5

Nice job Q. The wind picked up more than I thought it was supposed to today, otherwise couldn't have asked for a better day.

Thanks, brother. With the crazy weather yesterday, the wind switched three different times; we played 8-9-10-12-13-18 all into the wind!

It blew a little today, but it doesn't excuse how bad I hit it. I hit a few foul balls and was in my pocket on 4 & 13. Luckily, my partner carried me there and I picked up the slack with birdies on 2, 9, 10 and a big par on 8 when he was OB.

Taylormade TP5

Nice job Q. The wind picked up more than I thought it was supposed to today, otherwise couldn't have asked for a better day.

Thanks, brother. With the crazy weather yesterday, the wind switched three different times; we played 8-9-10-12-13-18 all into the wind!

It blew a little today, but it doesn't excuse how bad I hit it. I hit a few foul balls and was in my pocket on 4 & 13. Luckily, my partner carried me there and I picked up the slack with birdies on 2, 9, 10 and a big par on 8 when he was OB.

Some of the pin locations for you guys were interesting to say the least. I misjudged the wind today a couple holes (which is very very common for me) otherwise it would have been a really great day for me at least. Good luck in Topeka. Hope to play again sometime.

SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

Some of the pin locations for you guys were interesting to say the least. I misjudged the wind today a couple holes (which is very very common for me) otherwise it would have been a really great day for me at least. Good luck in Topeka. Hope to play again sometime.

6, 16, and 17 were tucked, while 2 was a good birdie pin. It was gettable today with that prevailing wind, but you can't hit it like I did.

Good track! I enjoyed it there. You have to drive it straight, but it has a good variety of holes and shots you have to hit. The greens were rolling better yesterday and today.

Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...