2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Parent of junior player

Hello all,

New member here - My son is a promising junior player - age 15, 6 handicap - he made a huge leap forward in the spring by quaifying for states (NY) as a freshman. Unfortunately, he shot 85 on the first day of States and totally blew up on the second day and wihtdrew. He has regretted withdrawing ever since. Since then, he been very erratic in his local tournaments (shooting low 80's in 3 torunaments over the last week). He is very good player and has improved by 5-6 shots each year. In fact, he been a varsity starter since the 7th grade.

Given his very high expectations, he has become extremely frsutrated and I'm concerned about his abiltiy to move forward. It seems that he is placing a huge amount of pressure on himself and it's resulting in higher scores. His long term goals are to play in college (DII or DI) and realizes that heeds to place high at some state and regional events. I advised him to try 2 or 3 IJGT tournaments this Fall as he can get in easily and might place well considering that he will still be in the 13-15 age bracket. This year he has been competing agaisnt some kids locally who are going to DI next year.

Any advice would be appreciated on how he should move forward and continue to improve to achieve his goal. Should we just keep doing the same thing and hope he improves each year or, as I've suggested to him, try to find a quality instructor to work with him. I'm a 12 handicap and have pretty much taught him all along, but I don't have th ability or knowledge to improve his game further.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

New member here - My son is a promising junior player - age 15, 6 handicap - he made a huge leap forward in the spring by quaifying for states (NY) as a freshman. Unfortunately, he shot 85 on the first day of States and totally blew up on the second day and wihtdrew. He has regretted withdrawing ever since. Since then, he been very erratic in his local tournaments (shooting low 80's in 3 torunaments over the last week). He is very good player and has improved by 5-6 shots each year. In fact, he been a varsity starter since the 7th grade.

Given his very high expectations, he has become extremely frsutrated and I'm concerned about his abiltiy to move forward. It seems that he is placing a huge amount of pressure on himself and it's resulting in higher scores. His long term goals are to play in college (DII or DI) and realizes that heeds to place high at some state and regional events. I advised him to try 2 or 3 IJGT tournaments this Fall as he can get in easily and might place well considering that he will still be in the 13-15 age bracket. This year he has been competing agaisnt some kids locally who are going to DI next year.

Any advice would be appreciated on how he should move forward and continue to improve to achieve his goal. Should we just keep doing the same thing and hope he improves each year or, as I've suggested to him, try to find a quality instructor to work with him. I'm a 12 handicap and have pretty much taught him all along, but I don't have th ability or knowledge to improve his game further.

You're right, withdrawing was definitely not the right choice. Coaches know that players are going to have bad tournaments (that's golf), but they would rather see a player stick it out and try to have a good last day. It sounds like right now he just has a confidence problem. I might suggest trying to find a professional that would be willing to do a playing lesson with him. The reason I suggest a playing lesson is that if your son's problem was anything like mine, he would hit the ball well on the range, but just couldn't score when he took it to the course. A playing lesson would let the instructor see what is happening once he gets off of the perfectly manicured driving range.

It probably would also be good for him to play in a few IJGT, FCWT or AJGA tournamnets, but only if he wants to. Those tournaments aren't cheap, and if his hearts not going to be in it, it isn't worth spending the money.

From what you described, it sounds like your son is going through the dreaded "S" word (SLUMP). Given time and an instructor he should have nothing to worry about, especially if the slump wasn't brought on by some horrific event- like four putting from 2 feet to lose a tournament. It sounds to me like he is well on his way to playing DI or DII golf.

First and foremost ... if you want your son to enjoy golf for a lifetime make sure that he continues to enjoy playing golf and not to take it too seriously. Remind him that he's only 15, college golf is a long ways away.

Don't let him get caught up in all the hype about who placed at what tournament, who beat who, etc. Get a good instructor and work on things for long term gains, not short-sighted results.

Thanks - he definitely has a confidence problem right now. The high school season starts in the Fall which should help (he seems to excel in these tournaments). I agree with you in that he should try a couple of IJGT tournaments in the fall as well. His psyche seems really fragile, however. Whenever I mention the IJGT, he just shrugs his shoulders.

I really like the idea of "on-course" instruction. We'll look into it....by the way, do you have college golf experience ?

I think, above all else, he needs to learn mental discipline. One shot at a time. What happened last shot or last hole is over. Face what's coming next.

If you can afford it, a good coach can help him with this, as well as his overall game. Be careful that this isn't too much for him. I've seen too many kids burnout and fall out of love for the game.

You know your son and what he can handle. Talk to him about what he wants and try to help him achieve it.

What is your idea of excelling in tournaments compared to not doing well scoring wise. I am 15 so I understand the stress and slumps that some people can go through. It does not matt what you do at the range or when you are with your friends, it matters how you react when the pressure is on and you need to shoot a number to win. Play as many tournaments as possible so you get used to it, and soon those low 80s will turn into low 70s.

What is your idea of excelling in tournaments compared to not doing well scoring wise. I am 15 so I understand the stress and slumps that some people can go through. It does not matt what you do at the range or when you are with your friends, it matters how you react when the pressure is on and you need to shoot a number to win. Play as many tournaments as possible so you get used to it, and soon those low 80s will turn into low 70s.

I don't think you understand what he's saying.....HE said that his son used to do well...but he's in a slump....we all have slumps....and you just gotta work your way through them.....Its not the fact he's cracking under pressure...its the fact that he's going through a process in which we all do....I don't think its anything a little practice and hardwork won't get him through.....Playing as much as you can is not at all going to make him a better player...it may get him used to playing under pressure...but it won't drop his scoring average at all

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

I really can't tell you how many players I run into with good swings who have absolutely horrendous short games. Take him to a good instructor and get him some short game lessons, and maybe have the guy glance at his full swing occasionally. Obviously he can get the ball around a bit, but the game is about scoring...

I'm playing in college right now and as an example, I went out this morning tinkering w/ my swing and really struggled on the ball striking front. I hit about 6 greens. Shot 1 over. If you can chip and putt you can go really far in this game...

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I agree with the above poster. Short game is where it is at, as well as good instruction.

I taught golf for the better part of 14 years in total, 6 as an apprentice and then as a PGA member for the last 8 of my career. I can't tell you how helpful it is to get kids good instruction early on, especially if they want to do something with the game. If you find him a "good" teacher, not just someone who gives lessons, he will progress for sure. But do some research, there are alot of pros in this business that are not good teachers and could actually hurt. (I am not saying this to be spiteful because I have left the industry, I am merely stating a fact) Ask around and get a consensus of who is good. Call the local PGA section office and see who they recommend.

The other option is for him to take a break. Maybe he has been pushing to hard to become the best and is a little burnt out. I know that when I was playing professionally, that I would need a break from tournament golf from time to time. Just to do something else and recharge the batteries. As fun as golf is, sometimes there are just more fun things to do, and ultimately it is just a game.

Hope that helps out a little bit.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Absolutely - he is also like a sponge - reads every golf publication, book imaginable - he is currently reading Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible . This is why I am wrestling with the idea of an instructor. He is extremely self-motivated. I just don't want him to miss out when most of the other kids have teachers. The question I have is - can he reach his goal on his own without formal instruction ? He is resisting this because of his experience with another instructor last year who is supposedly the best in the area. This guy preached hitting a slight fade with all clubs - my son's strength, however, in my view has been his ability to hit a nice controllable draw since he was very small. This lasted for 5 lessons and he never went back.

find a local course with a good short game area and drop him off there on saturday @ like 9 or 10 with like 10 bucks for food and come back @ like 5 and take him home. Better yet if here is a course near his school once he start driving have him get up before school everday and just go put an chip around the short game area @ that course

Absolutely - he is also like a sponge - reads every golf publication, book imaginable - he is currently reading Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible . This is why I am wrestling with the idea of an instructor. He is extremely self-motivated. I just don't want him to miss out when most of the other kids have teachers. The question I have is - can he reach his goal on his own without formal instruction ? He is resisting this because of his experience with another instructor last year who is supposedly the best in the area. This guy preached hitting a slight fade with all clubs - my son's strength, however, in my view has been his ability to hit a nice controllable draw since he was very small. This lasted for 5 lessons and he never went back.

Now that you put it that way, definately find him a good instructor. Honestly it will take his game much further, faster than if he did everything on his own. Try to find someone who has a lot of junior students and comes highly recommended from parents. Having someone there to tell you what to do has a huge effect on your confidence and you go into tournaments knowing your swing is solid, which is key to good scores. I can tell you are fully behind your son's goal and a weekly lesson from an instructor yall like will bring him to those goals much faster than anything else. I can just tell you, being a junior myself, most people I know have formal instruction including every girl on my current team, and 4/5 girls on my old team. It really makes a difference.

And like others have said practicing, especially shortgame ALONG with instruction is key! Good luck.

i play with a few pros here in san diego all the time. i was talkin with one of them a few weeks ago on the range and he feels in the next 10 to 15 years all the text book, cookie cutter swings on tour will be gone and guys with home made swings that know how to hit shots will be back. While i get lessons from a very good instructor (Chris Schmeal, top 50 in the country for Juniors im not shur which # thought) i still fell that the only thing an instructor should be used for is to watch for small things like allignment and set up or to look @ your putting stroke and tempo. I feel the best way to get good @ golf is to play a lot and hit balls. The only real way to be a shot maker is hit a shot enough to the point where instead of :opening your stance, stand closer, move your ball position forward to hit a fade, you can just hit the fade. if you hit a shot enough times without being all mechanical it will eventually translate into a feel that is ingrained into your mind and then instead of changing your swing you just have to "feel" the shot you want to hit. Same with short game, the more time you spend just messing around with certain shots around the green the better touch you will have when it comes to tournaments and the less chance he has of coming up to a short game shot that he hasnt seen before.

I would also like to add that from reading this it seems that he is concerned with his results and not just hitting golf shots. You said he reads all the books he can get his hands on. A GREAT book for him to read would be Fearless Golf by Dr. Gio Valiante. This book talks about the process of just hitting shots and that golf is a game between yourself and the golf course. Sounds like this is something he would really take value in. This was a book that really helped my game and sounds like it would help his too.

I can tell you this, my cousin is 16 and the kid is nuts, he practices probably 5 out of the 7 days of the week and golf is always on his mind, he wants to go pro so so bad and it just amazes me how these kids today have such a passion for golf, I played with him 18 holes last year and he shot 74, I shot 75 and he was not thrilled at his score, haha and not to mention he absolutely hates when he cuts the ball, the kid was like DRAW mode in his brain, you can only respect these kids passion for the game and give them as many complements as you can, that seems to do the trick, complements and good memories, advice from me

When selecting a golf professional, consider the pro's track record in developing college players. There are a number of pros out there that are great guys. Able to teach the golf swing and have an 'idea' of what it take to play at the next level but like making birdies, everybody knows how to do it. Executing is a totally different story. Helps if the pro has already gone through the process with other golfers. An additional benefit is that the pro should have relationships with college coaches and free to make those recommendation calls (if needed).

Might want to also consider playing in a couple lower level tournaments. Being able to capture a win (at any level) builds confidence. There's no way of simulating how to walk down the 18th, 36th or 54th hole with a win at stake (or chasing down a leader). Those moments are important in a golfer's development.

IMHO, there's value in visiting local colleges on unofficial visits. Meet the golf coach. See campus. Grab a tour with the admission's dept. Kids will have a better idea of what it takes to make it to that level (and from a parenting standpoint, you'll no longer have to be convince your kid what to do (they should understand who's going to make the decision on their future's path)).

play well