2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The ALMOST a hole-in-one thread

BJG718

Yesterday I was golfing with the old man. We are both not playing great. I'm shooting my typical par, par, par, birdie, quad, triple, par, etc....you get the point. We get to the 16th teebox which is a significantly uphill par 3 that is around 148. I tee of first and hit the EXACT line needed to get to the pin. It's a question of yardage because you cannot see the green. My dad goes next and tees off and hits the exact same line that I hit. Both of us think we may be buying drinks. When we get to the top of the hill and see the green, there is a ball literally a half of a ball away from the pin. The flag was directly between the ballmark and the stick. There is a second ball about 15 feet behind the hole and ballmark for that one was a few feet behind the hole. The second ball was mine. The first was the old mans. He hit 7 iron and I hit 8 iron. That the closest I've been to witnessing a hole in one. It kind of stinks knowing that you can't do it, but you can come that close.

We still drank anyways (and the old man bought) after the round.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had one fly in and pop out once; ruined my round I was so pissed off.

what was so mysterious about my dads shot was that I have a feeling that he bounced (the ballmark - which was 3-4 ft from the hole) hit the side of the stick and dropped just behind the hole. I dont think he lipped out because I'd think the ball would be further from the cup. It's impossible to tell what happened because no one saw it because of how elevated the green is.

I've had the dreaded "Hole in Three"!!

196yd fairly flat Par 3. The hole is mounded in front of the green so you can't quite see the ball land. It is raised again toward the back, and is surrounded by trees and OB right and deep. 1st tee shot was a 4 iron; and it looked SO good ... until we see it hit deep and bounce hard over the back and land OB.

Had to re-tee; and hope to salvage a bogey if I get lucky. Dropped to a 5 iron and hit it good. It hit short and skipped over the mound in the front and onto the green. The line was really good, but I had no idea how good until we were 10 yards away from the green and didn't see the ball. I actually dropped my bag and ran the rest of the way!

In the hole for a routine par!! :drinks: Goofy damn game!! Gotta love it!

Just came back from myrtle beach last night, what a great trip even though i played like crap 3 out of the 4 days. But there were a hand full of kodak moments... Long Bay( A Nicklaus design which was a little bit of a dissapointment) 5th Hole 185 from the tips, hit a smooth 5 and stuck it on the lip of the cup i mean litterally...my ball was in the ball divot on the edge of the cup, mind you the greens were really soft.

I almost had an ace on #6 at East Lake a couple weeks ago. Hit it to 10inches pin high, it spun a little right and ended up 3 inches below the hole...the caddies were in shock...I think they wanted it to go in as bad as i did.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I almost had an ace on #6 at East Lake a couple weeks ago. Hit it to 10inches pin high, it spun a little right and ended up 3 inches below the hole...the caddies were in shock...I think they wanted it to go in as bad as i did.

thats a caddies dream if you know what i mean. i almost eagled the #1 handicap hole at shackamaxon country club in new jersey today. i hit a decent drive. not quite how i pictured it but i got a good look. i had a 4iron in and i left it to about a foot. i haven't eagled a hole like that, but if i put it in from 200+ out, id put that in the same category as a hole in one.

Riverview Highlands, MI, Gold #8. 305 yards, driver, baby cut, lands 15 yards short of green, hits stick, bounced 9" behind the hole... nobody around to see it!

This year at Eagle Eye in MI, playing the par 3 17th. An EXACT replica of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass (the course was designed by a Pete Dye protege...). 144 yds. SUPER hard wind. Front pin. First shot. Water. Second shot. Hole. Nice par. :drinks:

Here's one.

Get to the tee box, 175yd par 3 and the guy is just finishing moving the pin for the day. We all tee off, 4 balls all within 20 ft, and head for the green. When we get up there my ball is sitting on the freshly installed plug where the hole was, yesterday! If we had been 5 minutes earlier it would have been in instead of on.

I've got the winner right here...

I was playing in a scramble a few weeks ago, and after missing the long drive competition by 4 yards off the fairway (it was a 280 yard bomb!!!), i played a 155 yard par 3. I read the sign and it said "HOLE IN ONE= 5 DAY TRIP TO ST. ANDREWS" So i pulled out my 8-iron, and cranked it at the hole...hit it PERFECT, and drew it right towards the hole. I get up there......ANNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

2 inches away...2 INCHES AWAY FROM GOING TO EUROPE!!!

could not believe it. worst birdie i have ever had in my life.

On the next tee my friend told me to go put the ball where it was and he would take a pic for me...

NG360 GPS

Had one fly in and pop out once; ruined my round I was so pissed off.

I've had that happen, also. It was the 17th hole and I made double on 18. :drinks:

Last year I was in a scramble and there was an uphill par 3 where we couldn't see any of the surface, only the top 2/3 of the flag. I hit a good looking shot that was going to be pretty good if the distance was correct. We get up there and my ball is a foot from the flag. The group in front of us said it hit the flag on two bounces, and did everything but go in. The salt in the wound was that I would have won a trip to Jamaica had it gone in.

Another one that still amazes me to this day was a few years back when I was playing with a buddy and a single that joined us. Short par 3 around 140 yards, left to right breeze about 10-15 mph, green slopes back left to front right, even the grain was going left to right, plus it was late afternoon on a hot summer day and the greens were pretty quick. Follow me so far? Good. The single playing along hits this high cut that rides the wind and lands just past pin high about 6 feet left, and starts spinning back to the right toward the hole (down hill, down wind, down grain.....). His ball continues to trickle down right at the hole and stops with half of the ball hanging over the lip. We all 3 walked up and just stared at it for a good minute before he pulled the flag out and tapped it in - we didn't call the penalty for undue delay :crazy: . Must have been the Lumpy Donut Pelz always talks about :crazy: because I have no other idea what kept it from going in. Seriously, though, I've seen the same shot on the same hole spin off the front of the green before.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

just put one to a foot today...142 slightly downwind, hit a (46*) pw draw and the ball landed hole high, but 4 ft. left of the hole, bounced forward 5-10 feet then spun back to a foot right in front of the hole. if it wasn't drawing, it wouldn't have gone right by the cup. the group in front of me said i was really close to a hole in one. oh well.

I hit the pin at least 3 times (and the flag once), closest the ball ever landed was 2'. This was back when I would struggle to break 100, and was aiming for the flag on every par-3 and every approach shot. Haven't sniffed a pin since I've started to play more conservatively; then again the course I play most regularly has 3 par-3's that are 185 or longer from the WHITES, so I'd be amazed if I got an ace playing there.

Last year, the 16th at my home course at the time is a 180 yard par 3, i hit 4 iron into the wind, it's starting out right left of the pin, starts drawing back a little bit, I'm thinking bite... WHAM! Smacks the pin in mid-air, bounces on the green, kicks off to the front right... worst part I didn't get it up and down. We saw a mark on the flag of a pink dot (my ball was marked with pink dots) about 2 inches above the hole... damn, almost slam dunked it. That's the closest I've come. Sure I've put them close before, but that one looked like it had a chance. :drinks:

I've been close so many times that I can't even count them all. I've hit the pin, lipped out, burned the edge...all that good stuff. I had another one bounce off the pin to 6 feet last week. It just bothers me that a decent golfer like myself hasn't had one and I know so many terrible golfers who have had AT LEAST one.

I once watched this 12 year old girl hit 3 wood on a 110yd downhill par 3. She hit the ball perfectly and it was clearly going to go 50 yards past the green. But of course, the ball hits the actual fabric part of the flag, gets wrapped up in the fabric, and as the flag is violently shaking back and forth, the ball drops out of the flag fabric and falls right into the hole. I swear! What gives?

My best almost hole in one story happened about a month ago at our annual ryder cup competition on our club's par 3 course. We are playing singles matches and teeing off on number 1. We have about 36 carts lined up and about 50 people watching the singles matches go off. Well my opponent tees off first and shanks one dead right that happens to hit one of the carts and drop straight down. Now I tee off and a soft 53 to the hole about 110 yds out. My ball is perfect, never leaves the pin and hits the cup and deflects about 15 feet to the right. My opponet hacks out of the rough to 3 feet and I miss my 15 footer for birdie and we halve the hole. :beach:

FYI, I ended up comming back from two down with two to play to halve the match.

Just saw this thread I mentioned this on the shortest birdie thread, but I hit a sw that plugged halfway into the green with an 1/8" of the ball inside the cup.

Thats the closest I have come. I have had several fall within inches.

I should also say I had one lip out at a tournament this year where they were giving away a car. The woman overseeing the green screamed and nearly fell flat on her face off of her chair.

...but I bet nobody has ever lipped out for a MILLION DOLLARS before. I did in college about 6 years ago after a double shotgun outing. Eliminated from 16 guys to 2 guys, from 165yrds....hit a cut 6 iron just left of the hole, fading in. It checked up after a bounced rolled to the hole and lipped around the back ending up about 10 inches away.

That's ok, closest to the pin got me a duffle bag, and a $500 off coupon for a car dealership!! ;) :D :russian_roulette:

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

Pfffffft. I almost get a hole in one every round....

...this one time, it was right on line, but the ball sailed over the green into the water

...then this one time, I drove a par 3, but the ball landed pin high...on the other fairway

...then this one time, I definitely would have had the hole in one but God made me hit it fat

See, almost.

;)