SkyCaddie Touch - How do you use it

I am a tech geek, I admit that on the front end. I have used Game Golf, Arccos (still have it) and use a laser to shoot distances AND.....I have a SkyCaddie touch.

Last week on vacation, I played a course that gave me a yardage book when I checked in. As I was flipping through it, I found that I learned alot about each hole as I was flipping through it. As I continued through the round, I found that I was using the physical yardage book more and more, especially standing on the tee box, as it provided me distances to certain locations, etc. From there I used the laser to figure out where I wanted to be on the green, maybe glancing at the skycaddie a couple of times as I exited the cart.

It got me to wondering, am I just not using the SkyCaddie to its full advantage. I know people on here swear by it, but I wonder if I am not using it to its full advantage. Anyone here a "super user" who wants to help me figure out how to make it more than just a front/middle/back device? I am trying to "be smarter" on the course and would love others insight.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Skycaddie user for over a decade, and the Touch is my 5th or 6th model. I play 60 to 70 courses a year, with ~50 of them being first visits. Having hole layouts, and green shapes is a key component of scoring.

I start with the HoleView. I generally zoom in one level to get a better view of the landing area. I want to see the distances to the bunkers on either side of the fairway, as well as the carry distances over the bunkers. If it's a short hole, I'll consider hitting less than driver, and position the cursor to give me a preferred distance to the center of the green, which also gives me the distance to that point.

On doglegs, I'm looking at the distance to the rough that's through the fairway. I may have to club down from driver. If the corner of the dogleg can be cut, I want to know the distance to carry the corner. Is it worth a try? If there is a forced carry along the inside leg of the dogleg. I'm looking at various points to see how much I can bit off.

Many architects will try to fool you with bunkering that doesn't come into play. If I think a bunker looks a bit odd, I'll check the distances to see if my hunch is correct.

Water hazards that cross the fairway, or fairways that end also need to be analyzed. I generally hate when a designer takes the driver out of your hand on the tee, but when it's encountered, I want to know the safe distance to avoid the junk.

On the par 5's, I'm obviously looking around the green to see if it's worth going for it in two. If not, then what's a good layup point? Many par 5's pinch the landing spot, so a quick zoom allows me to see if I need to lay back from the danger.

Greens. I always start by positioning the cursor on the estimated pin location. I then want to see the distance to the front of the green, and the back of the green, on a line through the flagstick. If the distance between those two points is small, you're basically looking at a sucker pin. I then move the cursor left/right to find the fattest part of the green. Is this a safer option?

I'll also be looking for multiple tiers and/or false fronts. If the pin is on a tier, how far is the carry to the tier.

Around the greens the IntelliGreen feature can be really useful when you're coming in from a severe angle when the green isn't quite round.

Basically, it's about course management. That's why I've stuck with a GPS, and avoided a laser, which is a one trick pony in my opinion. Knowing the exact distance to the pin is less important than knowing the carry distances to the front and back of the green, which is nearly impossible to get with a laser. Also, when blind shots are involved, a laser is useless.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Perhaps bust open the user manual?

Great advice, thanks. Actually, I have read the manual (granted, it's not the first thing I normally do, but I have now) and I know how to do all the functions.

You think they put some "hidden" functions that only GolfWrx users know about or something? lol

I've been a Skycaddie user for over a decade, and the Touch is my 5th or 6th model. I play 60 to 70 courses a year, with ~50 of them being first visits. Having hole layouts, and green shapes is a key component of scoring.

I start with the HoleView. I generally zoom in one level to get a better view of the landing area. I want to see the distances to the bunkers on either side of the fairway, as well as the carry distances over the bunkers. If it's a short hole, I'll consider hitting less than driver, and position the cursor to give me a preferred distance to the center of the green, which also gives me the distance to that point.

On doglegs, I'm looking at the distance to the rough that's through the fairway. I may have to club down from driver. If the corner of the dogleg can be cut, I want to know the distance to carry the corner. Is it worth a try? If there is a forced carry along the inside leg of the dogleg. I'm looking at various points to see how much I can bit off.

Many architects will try to fool you with bunkering that doesn't come into play. If I think a bunker looks a bit odd, I'll check the distances to see if my hunch is correct.

Water hazards that cross the fairway, or fairways that end also need to be analyzed. I generally hate when a designer takes the driver out of your hand on the tee, but when it's encountered, I want to know the safe distance to avoid the junk.

On the par 5's, I'm obviously looking around the green to see if it's worth going for it in two. If not, then what's a good layup point? Many par 5's pinch the landing spot, so a quick zoom allows me to see if I need to lay back from the danger.

Greens. I always start by positioning the cursor on the estimated pin location. I then want to see the distance to the front of the green, and the back of the green, on a line through the flagstick. If the distance between those two points is small, you're basically looking at a sucker pin. I then move the cursor left/right to find the fattest part of the green. Is this a safer option?

I'll also be looking for multiple tiers and/or false fronts. If the pin is on a tier, how far is the carry to the tier.

Around the greens the IntelliGreen feature can be really useful when you're coming in from a severe angle when the green isn't quite round.

Basically, it's about course management. That's why I've stuck with a GPS, and avoided a laser, which is a one trick pony in my opinion. Knowing the exact distance to the pin is less important than knowing the carry distances to the front and back of the green, which is nearly impossible to get with a laser. Also, when blind shots are involved, a laser is useless.

Thank you so much for the response. I think maybe I am not giving it the time. I like the zooming in one level. At the overview level it just didn't give me "enough". Thanks again!

Great advice, thanks. Actually, I have read the manual (granted, it's not the first thing I normally do, but I have now) and I know how to do all the functions.

You think they put some "hidden" functions that only GolfWrx users know about or something? lol

Nothing hidden, but in addition to hitting nothing but 340 yard drives and 200 yard butter cut 7 irons, I figured no one would have explored (shoot, should have worked in "no one would have gamed a GSP better than") the uses of the Skycaddie more than GolfWrx users.

Nothing hidden, but in addition to hitting nothing but 340 yard drives and 200 yard butter cut 7 irons, I figured no one would have explored (shoot, should have worked in "no one would have gamed a GSP better than") the uses of the Skycaddie more than GolfWrx users.

This is GolfWRX. Everyone hits 300+ yard drives, so nobody really cares about fairway bunkers that require 270 yard carries. Lol.

Also, nobody cares about the fact that the pin is in a sucker position with only 15 yards to work with. They're lasering the flag, and launching sky high 9 irons to within 3 feet.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Thank you so much for the response. I think maybe I am not giving it the time. I like the zooming in one level. At the overview level it just didn't give me "enough". Thanks again!

Maybe it's my aging eyes, but I find that I often have to zoom in 2 levels to get a good view of the landing area. The HoleView does provide distances to/over fairway bunkers, and through the fairway, but the font is hard to read. I really wish they had an option to increase the font size. Better yet, a 1 inch larger screen, and a larger battery, would be nice. I like the form factor, but I'd rather have a bigger screen and battery. Similar to the mobile phone market, they seem to be chasing the ever smaller form factor at the expense of battery life and readability.

The range arcs can be useful for an initial glance, but I generally tap off the fairway to toggle the actual distance to the landing point, and to the green.

• 2 months later...

I can totally relate to the "aging eyes" comment. So much so, in fact, that I've started using the SkyCaddie Mobile Premium version on my iPhone 6S almost exclusively as it is WAY easier to see. Since most courses I play now provide USB charge ports in their carts, the battery drain is no longer a factor so I figured, Why not?

For the last few weeks we've even been using an iPad mini which is even easier to see and the additional battery life allows us to play 18 holes AND play music or stream radio with or without utilizing the charge port feature.

While we're giving up a couple of Touch features (intelligreen comes to mind) but the larger screen and the ability to easily move the cursor from point to point seems to more than make up for this "sacrifice".

We employ a Ram Mount bracket to secure either the iPhone or iPad mini to the windshield and away we go. Makes for easy viewing and checking basic yardages at a glance while easily being able to maneuver the cursor when seeking more detailed information.

Curious if many others have also chosen to go this route?

It does seem crazy that I have an almost new SkyCaddie Touch that I don't even take with me anymore...........

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"