2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Bad Day Ends Up Being Great

High School Tryouts/ Club Championship Story
as some of you may recall from my thread last week, i had my highschool tryouts this morning, i was not really nervous or too uptight this morning when i woke up, i was paired with a few kids i knew/ recognized, and we all stated that we werent the greatest golfers out there, but we have had our great days as well. anyways, first 2 tee shots, i sliced driver into opposite fairway ;) made double bogey 6's on each of those holes. rest of round went pretty much terrible i made birdies, bogeys, double bogeys, never had worse than a double though. had way too many 3 putts and my wedge game was just flat terrible, (thanks to the greens, it was raining all through tryouts so some were soft, and my shots would spin back and off the green) over all just pretty much terrible. ended up with an 87 (+17) which is the worst round that i have had in a long long long time, i hadnt shot higher than 83 all summer. so a pretty terrible showing there, good news is that there is another round tomorrow and out of my 4-some i had the lowest score. dont really know much about how anyone else did. i would have stuck around and found out, but my club championship was already going on. my club championship tee time was at 3:35 and when i looked at my watch on 17 green it was 3:35, haha. so i finished out with par and called my pro out at my home course, told him the news (he already knew, i told him i was going to be late) i got out to the course at about 4 i and my pro just carted me through the first few holes so i could still play every hole, i caught up with my group around the 4th hole. this went much much better, i really do love the course and there just wasnt much pressure on me. anyways, i ended up shooting a 67 (-5) which is the best round i have had in a long while. so one of my worst rounds followed by one of my best rounds. ironic. but in the end, i won the club championship, and also won the closest to the pin contest on the 156 yd par 3 (3ft 4inches). in the end, i won a dozen NXT-Tour (2007), a Dozen Top Flight D2 Feel's (which i actually like ha) got a little jr club championship trophy. got a free 10 large bucket punch card ($75), won $60 gift card for the closest to the pin, and won a $90 gift card for the club champion. so at the end of the day, which is now, i am really happy, i know i started terrible, but coming back and winning the club championship was really great. i ended up with $150 to spend at the pro shop, and got about $125 in balls.
i have just started to take a step back and sort of look at my progress. at the start of the summer, i was lucky to break 90, and now i have broken 70 a few times. Wether or not i make the golf team for my school, i am still really proud of what i have accoplished this summer. i have really fallen head over heels for the game of golf, and i know i will only get better as time goes on. just wanted to share some thoughts with you guys, and thanks for all the advice and such you guys have given me that others at the course couldnt.
the hard work is starting to pay off now

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well than you can call my team stupid, i went out and shot 77 today, we played at a private course up north and the greens were probably the fastest i have ever seen. i didnt make the team, i guess for seniors you have to be in the top 4 and i came in at #5, missed it by a shot, so i cant decide wether to throw the clubs in the closet, or get back out there, i dont really have anything to work towards now. anyways im pretty bummed out, but i gave it my all, and i have really come a long ways from the begining of the summer, so i guess i have nothing to hang my head about, i just picked up the game again in june of last year 06' so i guess im happy to have contended. :tongue:

I am not going to even begin to discuss what I think of most High School golf coaches.

It really does not matter , but you have plenty to play for.

One is to get ready to try and make a college team, the other is to show that coach he made a mistake.

I played on my high school golf team as a sophmore in highschool. I was academically ineligible one six weeks during the first sememster of the year. Golf season did not begin until the spring. I was just learning the game and not a very good player.

The next year as a junior I showed up for the first team practice and was told to leave. The new coach said I could not come out because he had been told I was eneligible all year. He never bother to check for himself and I just left. Nobody said a word I never bitched about it. I just took to beating his team players every time I got the chance.

It was so funny in july or august of that summer. I ended up playing with this same coach and his top two players. He did not remember me. I wonder if he ever forgot me.

I shot 66 that day at the time I think it was my personal best. Naturally I trounced his two players.

When we finished he asked where I went to school, when he found out his school he asked me why I was not out for the golf team.

I just told him to figure that out and walked away.

When he finally did he would call me to his office and try and convince me to come out for the team, I never did. I did like listening to him beg.

My point is your career is just beginning don't let some Coach stop it. Be like Tiger was when Rory ran his mouth and bow up.

I want it to make you want to work harder than ever.

Good luck to you.

thanks guys, i just got off the phone with my pro who i have been working with all summer. and we discussed some options, i know that this is just a start for me, but i really do want to keep with the game, and want to pursue a career in it. he said he could get me started with the professional golf management program, and he said that he would like to keep working with me, and suggested that i could probably take my players ability test (PAT) at the end of next summer. i think that that is a great idea, and i would definatly be willing to try that. i really would like a career in golf, whether that be a teaching pro or a superintendent or playing on a tour somewhere, anything is great by me. and yes the coaches deffinatly bugged me too, the whole cuz im a senior i have to be the best to make the team is kinda bs to me. with all other sports in high school, say basketball, has about 3 teams, a freshman team, a sophmore tea,, and the varsity team, i thought that they would take a senior over a freshman for the leadership skills and experience. oh well, i guess i still have a ton of options and i really do want to pursue a golf career

just wanted to say congrats on the club championship, and nuts to the coach for not extending the tryouts beyond two rounds.. I can say though, that I have a coach who had a couple situations like yours pop up..

We had a freshman player who could go into the high 70s whenever he wanted, and a senior who could shoot that as well.. Well, the team is stacked, and he shoots and places himself at about the 5th place player. So, when it came down to it, the freshman and the senior had to play it out over the course of three separate two day 36 hole matches...

well, the freshman won, by a stroke..

What ended up happening though, and I'd asked him about it (my coach), and he's told me in all honesty, that if a senior and a freshmen were shooting the same scores, he'd more likely play the freshman, if only because his high school career is just starting, and the senior's already in the twilight... that said, these situations came when we'd already entered the playoffs... not at the beginning of the season... also, we had two teams and both made it to regional tournament.

So, there were playing spots, but both wanted to run first team... and the freshman beat him out.. by a stroke, but hey...

All of that said, I don't think that the amount of time he allowed for you to qualify was sufficient.. we had month long qualifiers here too..