2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Non-golf related Scotland trip help needed

clp34vmp

I am planning a trip for late next summer to Scotland with the family. I will be the only golfer in the group. I am definitely planning to squeeze in a number of rounds along the way but will need to make sure that here is plenty of diversion available for the non-golfers or else risk a potential mutiny within the group. We are definitely going to visit St. Andrews and Edinburgh, probably for two or three nights each. I am also set on spending at least one night in North Berwick so I can play there once or possibly even twice. It seems like a pretty neat seaside village so I think it will probably be enjoyable for the rest of the group as well.

Anyway, I had originally planned to spend a couple nights in Glasgow to start the trip. I was going to maybe try to get out of the city to the coast while there to get one round in on one of the courses there. But as I get close to starting to book all of our various arrangements, I'm starting to worry that this is going to end up being too much moving around for a group and that perhaps we'd be better off just starting in Edinburgh.

I'd love to hear about others trips to know what is in fact manageable. I'd also love to get anyone's impressions of Glasgow itself. I feel like I know a bit more about Edinburgh, but I've heard that Glasgow is a fun city as well.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glasgow to Edinburgh is not that far of a drive and IMO reasonable to do, Trying to squeeze in a stay up north say Inverness would be the harder one. With that said if you are looking for something to do with the non golfers, we ended up booking this tour leaving from the heart of Edinburgh through Glencoe, Ft Agustus (loch ness) back through Pitlochry. I honestly was not expecting much but it turned into one of my favorite non golf days. Cost is reasonable ~$60 takes up a full day 10 hours or so. Guide was pretty good, Mercedes mini van was comfortable and the sights were amazing

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductDetail-g186525-d11446972-Loch_Ness_Glencoe_and_the_Highlands_Small_Group_Day_Trip_from_Edinburgh-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

DHshwP1VoAA0oiG.jpg

DHshxlIV0AA2K3U.jpg

DHshznvV0AAMVX0.jpg

Sorry can't give you more on Glasgow we limited our trip to Edinburgh and St Andrews since it was only a 8 day trip. One of the guys I played with drove over to St Andrews for the round and went home said he hit some traffic road closures and still took him just over 2 hours so I imagine it is not that bad. IMO the more wasteful stay would be in North Berwick, 30-45 min drive from Edinburgh easily done no real need to stay the night unless you are playing multiple rounds over multiple days in East Lothian.

The thing with some of the smaller seaside villages like North Berwick, Crail, Anstruther etc is while they look cool and interesting and a good place to spend a day. Often it only takes an hour or two to stop and walk around the town etc. My folks wanted to check out Anstruther when I played Crail they planned on spending 3-4 hours exploring Anstruther then the town of Crail then meet me back at Crail. Well they were sitting on the railing watching me make the turn. Said they had lunch, checked out the town and 1-2 hours was all they needed.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Edinburgh has the handsome buildings, seriously it's a picture perfect skyline. Glasgow has the culture and style. Go to both. 1 hour drive or 48 mins on the train. Perfectly doable to squeeze both in.

Ask me whatever you need to know about Glasgow - I live here!

The folks I've met from Glasgow have generally been fun to be around, except for the fact I can only understand about 2/3 of what they say. Come to think, maybe that's part of the fun.

And if both the Glaswegians and myself have had a couple pints, that ratio goes down to 1/3.

If your "late next summer" trip overlaps with the Edinburgh Tattoo, make sure to go. Buy tickets early. It is definitely a "bucket list" event.

In St. Andrews, the putting course (Himalayas) is a fun event for every one to play. My wife and son played it with me. My wife now brags that she has payed St. Andrews.

North Berwich is a little over an hour from Kelso and the other towns in the Scottish Boarders region. You can play golf and send the rest of the group off for a day of sight-seeing. Jedburgh is near Kelso and not nearly as busy, but it has a beautiful abby.

Some miscellaneous thoughts and suggestions:

North Berwick is a really fun course and one I consider a must play, but I'd just go play North Berwick when you're in Edinburgh. It is a cute little town, but it is little and not a lot for your companions to do while you're golfing. But the course is very easily reached by train from Waverly Station in the middle of Edinburgh, only a quick 30 minute ride and it drops you off only a few hundred yards from the clubhouse. Makes an easy way to get out and back, and your companions will have more options. This would also cut back on the number of places you're moving around,, or even better opens up a little more time to check out somewhere else.

If you fly into Edinburgh, I'd recommend not even bothering to get a car until the day you leave. There is plenty to walk to, and cabs are plentiful and inexpensive. Besides, parking in Edinburgh is almost non-existent, so having a car there is more trouble than it's worth. Saves a few pounds too. Speaking of rental cars, I was delighted with Arnold Clark. Excellent rates, very nice and well equipped vehicles, and friendly service.

Glasgow is delightful and worth a visit, but it is another larger city to visit. If you have the option of doing something like flying into Edinburgh and out of Glasgow I'd certainly plan on at least a day there, but depending on the length of your trip I'd recommend seeing more of the country and not just spending most of the time in two of its biggest cities. If you enjoy museums and art, the Kelvingrove is wonderful, and it's not so large that it can't be mostly covered in a few hours. The National Museum in Edinburgh is fantastic, one of the better ones I've ever been too. We had no trouble spending most of a whole day there.

Read the book "Tommy's Honor" before you go, and then plan on re-reading it when you get back. It will give you a much better feel for the amazing history of golf in the region and the influence and impacts of the Morris family. You'll then have a better appreciation when you see things like where Old Tom lived, how the Old Course evolved, etc. You'll also appreciate North Berwick more too, as it features prominently. However, don't think that if you saw the movie you can skip the book, as the movie is only based on a tiny part - the book is chock with detail and information that a golf nut will devour.

You might consider cutting a bit back on your St. Andrews stay depending on what you're trying to do with golf and for your companions. It is a delightful town, but I can see non-golfers ready to move on after a couple days. Again, this would free up a little time to see more of the country.

Which brings me to a final thought. While the countryside around Edinburgh, Glasgow, and St. Andrews areas is lovely, it is mostly low rolling hills and pretty agricultural. I'd really recommend finding a way to get further north into your trip, either with long day trips or perhaps planning a night or two in the Highlands. The countryside is dramatic and spectacular, and you'll leave with a much better feel of the varied and fascinating country.

Something you might look into is a couple nights around Inverness, which gives more sightseeing options for your companions and gives you the chance to play Royal Dornoch (outstanding) or one of the other great courses in that region. You can leave St. Andrews and do a leisurely drive through Pitlochry with multiple stops for attractions and be in Inverness by late afternoon, spend day or two in that area, and then do the spectacular drive back down towards Glasgow going along Loch Ness, through the area around Glencoe, over past Loch Lomond and again have lot's of places to enjoy along the way.

No matter what you do though, plan on this not being your only trip to Scotland. Use it to get a taste for the country, and then start planning your return trip.

Some miscellaneous thoughts and suggestions:

Which brings me to a final thought. While the countryside around Edinburgh, Glasgow, and St. Andrews areas is lovely, it is mostly low rolling hills and pretty agricultural. I'd really recommend finding a way to get further north into your trip, either with long day trips or perhaps planning a night or two in the Highlands. The countryside is dramatic and spectacular, and you'll leave with a much better feel of the varied and fascinating country.

Something you might look into is a couple nights around Inverness, which gives more sightseeing options for your companions and gives you the chance to play Royal Dornoch (outstanding) or one of the other great courses in that region. You can leave St. Andrews and do a leisurely drive through Pitlochry with multiple stops for attractions and be in Inverness by late afternoon, spend day or two in that area, and then do the spectacular drive back down towards Glasgow going along Loch Ness, through the area around Glencoe, over past Loch Lomond and again have lot's of places to enjoy along the way.

No matter what you do though, plan on this not being your only trip to Scotland. Use it to get a taste for the country, and then start planning your return trip.

Thanks, great info! I'm thinking the Highlands are a must, maybe as an all day excursion from St. Andrews. I need to make sure though that I set aside enough time for myself to get multiple rounds in during the St. Andrews leg of the trip! I was hoping to queue for the Old and hopefully add the New, and maybe Elie or Crail as well.

Definitely leaning toward keeping Glasgow in the itinerary. That's where we'll be flying into, and the distances between the various stops are short enough that I don't think moving around a lot will be too big a burden. It's just hard to figure out how to do everything you want in a span of eight or so days/nights. No doubt this will have to just be the first in a series of Scotland trips.