2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Methods to removing and saving grips off Classic clubs.

Uncle T

So I bought a project set of clubs this week for $5, they are 1967? WH Haig Ultra Contour sole Irons 3-Pw. They were rusted up pretty good but after a Coke bath and a Good scrubbing and then an over night Vineger soak I was able to remove all of the rust and bring the shine back to the shafts with steal wool. However they have Avon Chamois grips that are in mint condition and would like to regrip them with those after I put in the shaft extensions. I am going to try the wire coat hanger method. I don't have a Compressor. Any help w0uld be appreciated.

Also besides solvent any other mixture of product could I use to help in the process of removal.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The essential tool for removing and saving grips (without using air). Works as advertised. Use a liberal amount of solvent to loosen adhesion of tape to grip, working the tool around the inside. Never not had it work, unless the grip was deteriorated.

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/VGGR/

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Regardless of what method you use to remove grips, something to consider if your successful getting the grips off is the tape residue left sticking to the inside of the grip. Sometimes this can be a bear getting out, especially with Chamois grips with the internal ribbing design. It's definitely worth the shot, but just be prepared for the possibility of some trouble.

The essential tool for removing and saving grips (without using air). Works as advertised. Use a liberal amount of solvent to loosen adhesion of tape to grip, working the tool around the inside. Never not had it work, unless the grip was deteriorated.

https://www.golfwork...remover/p/VGGR/

Totally agree. I have served my time, trying to bodge solutions with coat hangers and barbecue skewers, and nothing works a fraction so well as that tool.

I got a rod from Lowe's and bent a handle into it. 100X better than a coat hanger and cost about $3.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I've tried Nessism's rod (made a couple) and I'm less than useless with them. Bought the V-Tool and just better than useless. It's just me.

I'm still much better with a grip solvent pump and needle. I'm even way better than that when I use a knife.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I've tried Nessism's rod (made a couple) and I'm less than useless with them. Bought the V-Tool and just better than useless. It's just me.

I'm still much better with a grip solvent pump and needle. I'm even way better than that when I use a knife.

Bummer man. What seems to be the problem?

You need to lift the lip of the grip opening and get the rod under, then give a squirt of mineral spirits along side the rod and shove it in further. Then squirt some more mineral spirits and work the rod sideways. It helps if you angle the club with grip down at about a 30" angle so when you squirt the mineral spirits it shoots under the grip.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I don't want to impugn anyone's skills - but I have heard too many stories from experienced club techs of either nasty accidents or near misses with solvent and needles. My V-tool has easily paid for itself in saved time and grips, but personally, if the only way to save a grip was to use a needle and solvent, I think I'd incur the extra expense rather than the risk. YMMV.

I don't want to impugn anyone's skills - but I have heard too many stories from experienced club techs of either nasty accidents or near misses with solvent and needles. My V-tool has easily paid for itself in saved time and grips, but personally, if the only way to save a grip was to use a needle and solvent, I think I'd incur the extra expense rather than the risk. YMMV.

Old wives - I mean old Club makers- tales. You have to be a complete idiot to first stick it in your body and then inject it. I guess you could do it but it’s likely Darwin telling you something.

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

You need to lift the lip of the grip opening and get the rod under, then give a squirt of mineral spirits along side the rod and shove it in further. Then squirt some more mineral spirits and work the rod sideways. It helps if you angle the club with grip down at about a 30" angle so when you squirt the mineral spirits it shoots under the grip.

Just spastic I think. My buddy’s a pro at it and I just don’t do it enough to get good at it. I’m a plus 5 hcp with a grip needle though.

Maybe I’ll try it in a vise next time. Usually just turn it upside down and free hand it. Maybe that’s my problem.

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Old wives - I mean old Club makers- tales. You have to be a complete idiot to first stick it in your body and then inject it. I guess you could do it but it’s likely Darwin telling you something.

Lol, you're a golfer, yeah?

So, 3 putts from inside of 20 feet. OOB right when the fairway is wide open on the left? Two-chip?

You'd have to be a complete idiot to do any of those. Or else, get distracted. Or try to do something in a hurry. The game is trying to tell you that this stuff happens.

People are free to do what they want. But if you can't make the golfworks tool work for you, I don't know why you'd feel confident with sharps.

My advice is to buy a good quality tire inflator, and forego all the needle and solvent hazards. The inflator I have is from Sears, and has multiple functions, jumps starts cars, inflates, light, even has 110 sockets for a radio or something. Cost a little over $100, a few years ago.

When inflating grips, put a wax paper tube over the old grip, and it comes off pretty easily.

Lol, you're a golfer, yeah?

So, 3 putts from inside of 20 feet. OOB right when the fairway is wide open on the left? Two-chip?

You'd have to be a complete idiot to do any of those. Or else, get distracted. Or try to do something in a hurry. The game is trying to tell you that this stuff happens.

People are free to do what they want. But if you can't make the golfworks tool work for you, I don't know why you'd feel confident with sharps.

No need to get upset. It’s not like I told you Santa Claus doesn’t exist.

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Upset? Not at all. I just think that your advice, and particularly your dismissal of the risks, is poor.

Anyone who's not sure can read, e.g. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/43391-removing-grips-without-cutting/ and make up their own mind.

Must be a very unlucky guy to know 3 people who are at the top of their profession who have done it.

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Just spastic I think. My buddy’s a pro at it and I just don’t do it enough to get good at it. I’m a plus 5 hcp with a grip needle though.

Maybe I’ll try it in a vise next time. Usually just turn it upside down and free hand it. Maybe that’s my problem.

you definitely need a vise, I would never try to use the tool with out a vise, I pulled 20 grips today with tool and applied tons of pressure and twisting with lots of force, could not imagine trying to do one without shaft being secured in a vise

I can see how you'd need a vice if you're using an improvised tool, or if you're removing a grip from a shaft with no head.

But my experience with the golfworks tool is that there really isn't a lot of force involved. I find grips come off really easily just holding the club vertically - butt end of the grip on the worktop. I open up the thin end of the grip with the tool and squirt in WD40 - from there, I find the tool slides in without much force, so long as you keep adding solvent and rotating the shaft to work the tool around the grip. Rarely more than a minute or two's work and I don't see how I could work so fast if the shaft was clamped in a vice.

I can see how you'd need a vice if you're using an improvised tool, or if you're removing a grip from a shaft with no head.

But my experience with the golfworks tool is that there really isn't a lot of force involved. I find grips come off really easily just holding the club vertically - butt end of the grip on the worktop. I open up the thin end of the grip with the tool and squirt in WD40 - from there, I find the tool slides in without much force, so long as you keep adding solvent and rotating the shaft to work the tool around the grip. Rarely more than a minute or two's work and I don't see how I could work so fast if the shaft was clamped in a vice.

I've got to say that is my experience as well.

I've just done two sets and it's a breeze compared to any other faffing around. Having enough white spirit/substitute is key.

Also the shape of the tool allows you to firkel around inside the grip to retrieve any residual grip tape.

Ha. Firkel. I like that. An apt description for grip removal. The substandard tool, lots of juice, have always used a vice. Perhaps next time, I'll try freehand firkeling. Some grips require more firkeling than others. Cords seem to offer up a bit more resistance to removal (they don't seem to have as much "stretchiness"). Trying to remove a SS from a putter is a wrestling match. Tour Velvets (thin) are subject to puncture if you're not careful. WTS, grips get moved around between clubs all the time, depending on whim and fancy. And don't like liquidating clubs with newish grips installed on them. Have my scrounged beater ones for those.

Also use another substandard tool to scrap out residual tape. This long wire brush thingy that I use to scrap the inside immediately after extraction. Gets all gobbed up after a round of usage. Burn off the gunk in a blaze of flame and smoke periodically. Gets out most of the stuck tape. What remains stays. After I've re-installed the grip onto yet another club and play it for a few rounds, sorta forget that there was any residual tape in there to begin with.

But that's just me.

I understand it can be done without a vise, it depends on the grips age etc. Its just so much easier is all I am referring to

While on the topic of grip removal, does anyone have any ideas about removing the old MacGregor Tourney T grips. The original molded to the shaft

cord grips. advertised as lifetime grip and I can believe it. closest thing found is an old draw knife. It only takes a few hours to partially remove one grip.

...."to dream the impossible dreeeeeam"

Uncle Bob

Ha! No I haven't. Once tried to perform the task on an old Mac club without understanding the nature of the beast (pre-Classic WRX). Why can't I get this damn grip off? Was it installed with some form of super epoxy? Finally ended up throwing the offending club into a corner of the garage whilst cursing loudly.

Thinking a blowtorch may do the trick. Melt the damn thing off.

While on the topic of grip removal, does anyone have any ideas about removing the old MacGregor Tourney T grips. The original molded to the shaft

cord grips. advertised as lifetime grip and I can believe it. closest thing found is an old draw knife. It only takes a few hours to partially remove one grip.

...."to dream the impossible dreeeeeam"

Uncle Bob

I have one on my Mac. Byron Nelson Personal model driver. I read it was a tough assignment to remove and, for once in my life, I believed them.

To play the club I put hockey tape on the grip which proved it was a player.

Maybe the next thing I do is to remove the shaft and grip entire, save it for posterity, and fit a replacement Rocket shaft, same bore dia. and play with the grip of my choice. Happy days!

Solvent with air ( 100 + psi), secured the grip with expansion tube to prevent bubbling up. Should work better than using tools trying to separate the tape and the shaft.

Low evaporating solvent like mineral spirit works but not quite as well with the stubborn old double sided tape. Gasoline is the best dissolving the glue on the old tape ( needs to be careful when working with high combustible liquid ).

I know you don't have an air compressor, I would try using the air to see if the grip was installed without double sided tape since you mentioned it was in mint condition.