Anyone using the Zelos 7 or 8 iron shafts?

Hi, new member here, and my first post. I was wondering if any members here are playing irons with the new Zelos 7 or 8 shafts? I am considering putting one or the other in my current AP1 716's. I went from AP1 714's with true temper XP95 reg flex shafts, to the 716's with Kuro Kage tini 65g graphite in reg flex. I'm not impressed with the Kuro Kage shafts, and would like to go back to a lightweight steel shaft.

A little about myself; I'm 65 years old, and currently play to a 6 HC. My 6 iron swing speed is 72mph, and my Driver SS is just about 90. I felt I was losing a little distance in the last year or so with the XP95 shafts, and when I had a chance to buy the used 716's with the Kuro Kage graphites, I thought I would give them a try. I feel my trajectory and dispersion was better with the XP95's and My distance did not improve with the Graphites. Trajectory with the XP95's is higher, which I like for better control.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mefnocerouus, I've been doing lots of research on this subject since I posted this yesterday, and I think I've narrowed my search down to the Nippon NS Pro 850GH, or maybe even the 950GH in reg flex. From what I've read so far the Zelos 7 and 8 are geared towards very young golfers and Ladies. Can anyone using the 850's or 950's in reg flex give any observations, good or bad. Thanks.

IMHO, the Nippon NS Pro 850 and 950 won't add any distance to your game. The 950 is essentially Nippon's version of the XP 95, the Nippon's do have their own distinctive feel. The 850 is similar with perhaps an even smoother feel. Just for the record I have played both Nippon's in the past along with the lesser known V90.

The notion of lighter equals faster seems logical but I think it fails more often than it succeeds. You mention you have 72 MPH and you might be surprised to know that this is plenty of clubhead speed for a stronger shaft than the 850 / 950 (assuming your tempo isn't unusually smooth). Your failure to like the Kuro Kage reinforces this belief. The best way for you to maximise distance is to improve your quality of strike (smash). You might not be achieving your most efficient impact conditions because the shaft weight is too low and or the profile isn't the best match for your swing. I assume based on your age and handicap you have played Dynamic Gold for an extended period.

If possible try a few alternative shafts (weights and profiles) from an fitting cart, in graphite the Recoil 95 (Steelfiber i80 / i95 are worth a test but much harder to find), in steel try the heavier Nippon Modus 105 and the new Dynamic Gold 105 R300. There are plenty more options if these suggestions are not to you liking (C Taper lite, PXi for example), the Nippon 950 is in several fitting carts as well.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that info Dave, very interesting. Yes, I have played TT Dynamic gold in one form or another all my life until these Kuro Kage shafts. You have me wondering about the Recoil 95's now. I have a Golf Galaxy in the area so I will go and try the Recoil 95's, not sure if they'll have the steelfiber. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am your age and moved from the XP95 to the Modus 3 105 in R flex in a set of Titleist irons. Ball flight, feel, and, distance all improved as well as control/dispersion. The Recoil 95 is a great shaft as well, but, I wouldn't settle for one or the other without trying both. Good luck.

Thanks Sunbelt for your post. Let me describe what has happened in the last 24 hours. My wife and I went to Golf Galaxy yesterday afternoon, and I spent about an hour with a supposed "Fitter" on their analyzer, for lack of a better term. These "analyzers" look extremely beat up, and actually work work on about 1/2 of your swings. The fitter kept moving my ball farther from the analyzer, then closer, trying to get it working on every swing. The analyzer showed me consistently hitting my 7 iron about 135 carry and about a 10 yard fade, and I tried 7 different shafts, from 65 gram graphite, up to 105 gram steel in R and Sr flex. There was very little difference in what shaft I hit, the results were all the pretty close. My usual ball flight with the XP95R is straight, or very slight draw. What do you guys think, go to a professional?

Within the same flex category, and given all other specs being equal, you probably won't notice a significant difference between iron shafts in regards to distance.

I'm your age with about the same SS and handicap. A few years ago I developed some elbow issues and switched from steel to graphite to help reduce vibration. It indeed was beneficial in those terms. There was definitely a change in feel, but I didn't notice much in the way of distance gains. Since then I have tried many other graphite offerings with the same results. Other than slight feel differences, no eye popping distance advantages.

I know Father Time has taken some toll. It puts a premium on making solid strikes for sure. You may consider bending the lofts -2 degrees. For me, I've come to accept the inevitable and take more club.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sunbelt for your post. Let me describe what has happened in the last 24 hours. My wife and I went to Golf Galaxy yesterday afternoon, and I spent about an hour with a supposed "Fitter" on their analyzer, for lack of a better term. These "analyzers" look extremely beat up, and actually work work on about 1/2 of your swings. The fitter kept moving my ball farther from the analyzer, then closer, trying to get it working on every swing. The analyzer showed me consistently hitting my 7 iron about 135 carry and about a 10 yard fade, and I tried 7 different shafts, from 65 gram graphite, up to 105 gram steel in R and Sr flex. There was very little difference in what shaft I hit, the results were all the pretty close. My usual ball flight with the XP95R is straight, or very slight draw. What do you guys think, go to a professional?

You are in an area where I would be wanting to do my testing outside so you can see the ball flight. Can't say if you were having an off day with the swing or a bad piece of equipment, but, no way to know for sure if you can't see the ball for reinforcement. Without knowing more about your swing it's hard to suggest a shaft. However, you should be able to find someone near you that has a good assortment for you to test with a reliable launch monitor.

• 3 years later...

I am 60 year ago, i don't under as above content said change from the XP95 to the Modus 3 105 Flex R to gain the Ball flight, feel, and, distance all improved as well as control/dispersion. Modus 3 shaft weight should heavy than XP95. assuming the tempo isn't unusually smooth. right? may be I'm wrong. If no model issues, is Zelos 7 Flex S should be the best choose?

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2017 at 5:45 PM, raggal62 said:

Within the same flex category, and given all other specs being equal, you probably won't notice a significant difference between iron shafts in regards to distance.

I'm your age with about the same SS and handicap. A few years ago I developed some elbow issues and switched from steel to graphite to help reduce vibration. It indeed was beneficial in those terms. There was definitely a change in feel, but I didn't notice much in the way of distance gains. Since then I have tried many other graphite offerings with the same results. Other than slight feel differences, no eye popping distance advantages.

I know Father Time has taken some toll. It puts a premium on making solid strikes for sure. You may consider bending the lofts -2 degrees. For me, I've come to accept the inevitable and take more club.

I know it sounds trite but at 65 yes get suitable shafts but the main thing is to.practice the short game.As you get.older more greens are missed and good chipping essential.

I'm 73 yrs old and now play to a 10 (2 - 15 years ago).  I have MP 25s that had the stock 5.5 Project X shafts.  Went to the Zelos 8 and couldn't be happier.  About 5-7 yds longer and much, much more accurate.  Hits it high, comes down soft and stops.  And in AZ that's saying a lot.  Can't say enough about the Nippons.  BUT, go someplace where they can put a variety of shafts in your club heads (or ones suitably similar)  - preferably outside where you can hit off of grass.  Forget about brand, weight, flex or anything else.  In fact, don't let the fitter tell you what shaft you are testing.  Tell him which one you like at the end and then find out the brand, flex, etc. of what you chose.  Buy the shaft that works best for you -- for the results that you want, not what some machine tells you you want.  What trajectory do you prefer, what feels best, do you sacrifice a little distance for stiffer flex?  Only you can decide what you like.  As avid golfers we all get caught up in the numbers (and unfortunately, the prestige) game.  The machines can only give you statistics, they can't tell you how you feel.

PS  I very much doubt that the ancient Scots had the Sonoran Desert in mind when they thought up the Rules of Golf.

• 3 months later...