Shaft lean during practice swing but Casting during real swing !!

djamhour

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATED SWINGS, only swing thought is head stays back in downswing. Still have the same issues. Took a DTL as well

Face On swing with only thought is Head Back at impact

[media=]http://youtube.com/watch?v=js1V793QjOU[/media]

DTL swing with only thought is head back as well

[media=]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1I0jOjAzI[/media]

I know I'm extremely steep, OTT and have a very long backswing. Willing to try out some recommendations. Before I originally posted I was working on my pivot (GG's method) and shortening backswing. I have been trying to work on that ever since I've seen Montes casting video ,which made me also aware of my grip pressure in my right hand especially

Your swing is 100% arm driven. You immediately pull on the handle.

This is why I hate the casting drill.

Do this for me: Get to P-6 and leave your arms in place and simply rotate your BODY to make the clubhead get to the ball. Don't even think about moving the arms whatsoever.

Its going to feel weak, strange and weird as hell...but it is correct.

Club face wide open on DS. strengthen grip a tad. You need the motorcycle grip twist move from the top all the way to impact.

What swing are you looking at?

Looks open through P5-P6.5 on both sets of swings.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Club face wide open on DS. strengthen grip a tad. You need the motorcycle grip twist move from the top all the way to impact.

Yep. Left wrist is extending and face is getting wide open. IMO a lot of the issues would disappear if he didn’t have to use the path to square the face.

Yep. Left wrist is extending and face is getting wide open. IMO a lot of the issues would disappear if he didn’t have to use the path to square the face.

How is this wide open?

From an amateur players view it looks to me like you aren't really transitioning your weight to your right side. Looking at your video you almost seem to do a stack an tilt method. So when you proceed to swing down, you are actually taking your natural swing but it appears that you slide forward but in fact it is all because you did not transition to your right more. Try putting more like 70/30 to your right side rather than the 45/55 that it appears to be on video

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

And also you are losing a lot of power since it appears your lower body does not contribute much to the swing. Shows more on the slow Mo. I could be wrong but that could be a cause of you casting since you are ultimately trying to swing with all upper body. Yup I keep looking at it and it stands out.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

From an amateur players view it looks to me like you aren't really transitioning your weight to your right side. Looking at your video you almost seem to do a stack an tilt method. So when you proceed to swing down, you are actually taking your natural swing but it appears that you slide forward but in fact it is all because you did not transition to your right more. Try putting more like 70/30 to your right side rather than the 45/55 that it appears to be on video

And also you are losing a lot of power since it appears your lower body does not contribute much to the swing. Shows more on the slow Mo. I could be wrong but that could be a cause of you casting since you are ultimately trying to swing with all upper body. Yup I keep looking at it and it stands out.

I probably don’t transfer my pressure properly because I’ve had 6 surgeries on my right knee in the last 2 years.. it doesn’t bother me too much golfing but maybe I don’t load it up subconsciously because I know it’s my bad knee? I’m not sure. But I’m working on adjusting a lot of things to my swing soon. Hopefully I can tweak some of these things. So I’m not loading up on my trail leg in the backswing and you think that causes me to use my upper body and arms too much to create my power? Thanks for the info by the way..

...and this thread is the reason why golf is hard. So many different pov. Opinions are like a*******, everyone has one. Be careful whose advise you take because things can get nasty.

THIS is EXACTLY why I’m not motivated to pay for lessons, along with my bad experience of the pro I’ve took lessons with before. I feel like most of the better golfers here can tell me what bad about my swing and nowadays everything is online for drills and fixes. And feel like I’m a pretty motivated and quick learner so we’ll see what happens soon. I REALLLLY Apprecaite all the replies and suggestions everyone’s posting in here. Thanks a lot everyone

Face is wide open and he's kicking it out to get it pointed somewhere on the golf course.

At no point in his swing is the club wide open.

How would that face angle from P5-onward look at impact if he had shaft lean?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I probably don’t transfer my pressure properly because I’ve had 6 surgeries on my right knee in the last 2 years

Yikes! Sorry to hear. I broke my leg and tore ACL 24 years ago (same event) and I understand what an injured leg can do. Hope you can get it close to full strength.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Face is wide open and he’s kicking it out to get it pointed somewhere on the golf course.

The face is in an ok position at the top. I like mine to be less open but plenty of great golfers play from there. If he went from extension to flexion of the lead wrist in transition it wouldn’t be an issue, but the problem is he extends the lead wrist more in transition and the face starts to work more open. From there his method of squaring the face is to tip the shaft out and cut across it. The stills don’t tell the whole story, but regardless, that clubface is wide open coming down and the root of the problem IMO.

On top of keeping your head back, now add much more wrist hinge on the backswing (when your left arm is parallel to the ground, there should be at least a 90 degree angle between your left arm and the shaft).

Edit: also feel like your backswing stops at that position. It won’t, but feel like it does.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Face is wide open and he's kicking it out to get it pointed somewhere on the golf course.

More open which would be a good thing since he's pulling the ball.

OK, so are you trolling for some reason or am I missing something?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

More open which would be a good thing since he's pulling the ball.

OK, so are you trolling for some reason or am I missing something?

Knowledge about the golf swing?

In some ways your swing looks similar to mine. Mostly arm swing but you have a longer backswing. RPB- right pocket back with Faldo drill/Joe Dante of bending the right wrist back on backswing helped me. You got a lot of fixes in this thread to choose from. Make a list, try them till you get one or two that click for you.

OK, I will reengage.

OP wants shaft lean. Wonders why he doesn't have it. Even his thread title includes the words "SHAFT LEAN".

Videos show him flipping/casting to get the face (hopefully) square at impact with no shaft lean at impact. Face appears open at all points of the downswing to anyone looking at pictures on iPhone 3 and above.

So - please tell me how the OP can get SHAFT LEAN at impact, given that there are 0.000005 milliseconds between P6.5 and impact, and his face is open at that point.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I probably don’t transfer my pressure properly because I’ve had 6 surgeries on my right knee in the last 2 years.. it doesn’t bother me too much golfing but maybe I don’t load it up subconsciously because I know it’s my bad knee? I’m not sure. But I’m working on adjusting a lot of things to my swing soon. Hopefully I can tweak some of these things. So I’m not loading up on my trail leg in the backswing and you think that causes me to use my upper body and arms too much to create my power? Thanks for the info by the way..

...and this thread is the reason why golf is hard. So many different pov. Opinions are like a*******, everyone has one. Be careful whose advise you take because things can get nasty.

THIS is EXACTLY why I’m not motivated to pay for lessons, along with my bad experience of the pro I’ve took lessons with before. I feel like most of the better golfers here can tell me what bad about my swing and nowadays everything is online for drills and fixes. And feel like I’m a pretty motivated and quick learner so we’ll see what happens soon. I REALLLLY Apprecaite all the replies and suggestions everyone’s posting in here. Thanks a lot everyone

Really? Because all the differing replies in this thread have confused the s*** out of me and it's not even my swing were talking about, but if you can take something from it then good.

OK, I will reengage.

OP wants shaft lean. Wonders why he doesn't have it. Even his thread title includes the words "SHAFT LEAN".

Videos show him flipping/casting to get the face (hopefully) square at impact with no shaft lean at impact. Face appears open at all points of the downswing to anyone looking at pictures on iPhone 3 and above.

So - please tell me how the OP can get SHAFT LEAN at impact, given that there are 0.000005 milliseconds between P6.5 and impact, and his face is open at that point.

Because his clubface isn't open.

This thread has some of the worst advice I've ever seen. You got two people who are seeing phantom open clubfaces, another one who thinks keeping your head back is a good idea, and someone else who thinks the arms are passive in the downswing. Are any of you actually any good?

I probably don’t transfer my pressure properly because I’ve had 6 surgeries on my right knee in the last 2 years

Yikes! Sorry to hear. I broke my leg and tore ACL 24 years ago (same event) and I understand what an injured leg can do. Hope you can get it close to full strength.

Thanks Man it’s been a rough 2.5 years.. I actually started golfing because I could no longer plays sports like football basketball or weight lift.. and Im Probably going to need another surgery in a couple months and then I can hopefully regaining my strength then.

On top of keeping your head back, now add much more wrist hinge on the backswing (when your left arm is parallel to the ground, there should be at least a 90 degree angle between your left arm and the shaft).

Edit: also feel like your backswing stops at that position. It won’t, but feel like it does.

Yeah Man, I actually have been trying to work on that recently, when I hinge my wrist earlier, I stop around 10:00 (face on View) during my backswing. And according to Montes videos online there’s a good chance the long backswing has a lot to do with casting on downswing(passive cast I believe he called it).

In some ways your swing looks similar to mine. Mostly arm swing but you have a longer backswing. RPB- right pocket back with Faldo drill/Joe Dante of bending the right wrist back on backswing helped me. You got a lot of fixes in this thread to choose from. Make a list, try them till you get one or two that click for you.

Part of the long backswing has to do with wrist hinging sooner and I’m working on it, but since I’ve always had the problem, I don’t expect it to be a real quick fix. Yeah I know and they’re all good suggestions.. and I’m willing to put the time to make sure I get them into my swing because almost every great ball striker has them. I just want to get much more consistent at finding the center of the face and that should happen with a proper backswing, good sequence on downswing and Lots of repetitions doing those things. I’ll post an updated swing in a couple days

And to the user 4Clubs, didn’t know how to just quote your one post instead of quoting all the replies. But anyways. I know there’s like 20 different opinions and suggestions but I’m not going to take everything from here and put it in my swing. Just what I feel is right and important for me right now based on my research about the details of the golf swing and the 100s of videos I’ve seen of the best pros in slow motion to see if they’re actually correct moves. Things like Shortening the backswing, coiling up properly in backswing, Head back in downswing, better downswing sequences are all big faults and I’m sure once I’m down with that I’ll find more faults in my swing but I know I’ll be closer to a better overall swing.

And to the user 4Clubs, didn’t know how to just quote your one post instead of quoting all the replies. But anyways. I know there’s like 20 different opinions and suggestions but I’m not going to take everything from here and put it in my swing. Just what I feel is right and important for me right now based on my research about the details of the golf swing and the 100s of videos I’ve seen of the best pros in slow motion to see if they’re actually correct moves. Things like Shortening the backswing, coiling up properly in backswing, Head back in downswing, better downswing sequences are all big faults and I’m sure once I’m down with that I’ll find more faults in my swing but I know I’ll be closer to a better overall swing.

That's great hope it works for you

This thread has some of the worst advice I've ever seen. You got two people who are seeing phantom open clubfaces, another one who thinks keeping your head back is a good idea, and someone else who thinks the arms are passive in the downswing. Are any of you actually any good?

OP asked why he was unable to hit the ball with his trial swing that has forward shaft lean. The simple answer is that the club face is wide open at impact with his trial swing. You can obfuscate that all you want, but that's the simple fact.

You put him side by side with Tiger, as if the two are in a similar position at P6,. They couldn't be more different.

OP has done a lot of compensation already at P6, and the club face appears to be in far better shape than it would be if he didn't. If you put OP in the same position as Tiger, with hands more out and a right pitch elbow - and with similar wrist flexion/extension in both hands - everybody would see that OP's clubface was in deep trouble.

The difference between the two is far from subtle. TIger will square the face automatically as part of his release. Right arm will externally rotate when he straightens the elbow, both hands will start moving back in before impact and since he do not have to wait for the flip, he can also do some closing by simply keep turning his shoulders. OP doesn't have any tools left to square the club face to path. His right shoulder is already externally rotated,his right elbow is already out and he has already brought his hands inwards. The only way he can square the face is to flip the club past the hands.

If you study OP's hands in the impact position in the trial swing when he doesn't compensate, you will see that his hands are in a reasonably good position. His right hand is in a normal strong position with the V between thumb and index finger pointing somewhat towards his right shoulder. There are great golfers who display a weaker grip at impact, but also those who are stronger. His is pretty middle range here. But since his clubface is very open he is not able to hit the ball with that swing.

The only smart thing to do here for OP is to fix the grip first. Then he can see which other issues he needs to address.

Tis thread is a mixed bag, as usual. People tend to project their own issues and fixes into these advise threads. Only a few have diagnostic skills, and the grip is overlooked by many. What makes this thread worse is that you argue against fixing a root cause to OP's issues.

OK, I will reengage.

Totally agree.

Look at the OP's and Tiger's left shoulders at P6 and notice how much higher the OP's is vs. Tiger's. The OP is forced to lose the extension in his right wrist to get the clubhead down to the ball, otherwise he goes right over it. There is not enough DOWN to his handpath due to how he manages his right shoulder and arm.

Forearm rotation is what will square the face.

OP asked why he was unable to hit the ball with his trial swing that has forward shaft lean. The simple answer is that the club face is wide open at impact with his trial swing. You can obfuscate that all you want, but that's the simple fact.

You put him side by side with Tiger, as if the two are in a similar position at P6,. They couldn't be more different.

OP has done a lot of compensation already at P6, and the club face appears to be in far better shape than it would be if he didn't. If you put OP in the same position as Tiger, with hands more out and a right pitch elbow - and with similar wrist flexion/extension in both hands - everybody would see that OP's clubface was in deep trouble.

The difference between the two is far from subtle. TIger will square the face automatically as part of his release. Right arm will externally rotate when he straightens the elbow, both hands will start moving back in before impact and since he do not have to wait for the flip, he can also do some closing by simply keep turning his shoulders. OP doesn't have any tools left to square the club face to path. His right shoulder is already externally rotated,his right elbow is already out and he has already brought his hands inwards. The only way he can square the face is to flip the club past the hands.

If you study OP's hands in the impact position in the trial swing when he doesn't compensate, you will see that his hands are in a reasonably good position. His right hand is in a normal strong position with the V between thumb and index finger pointing somewhat towards his right shoulder. There are great golfers who display a weaker grip at impact, but also those who are stronger. His is pretty middle range here. But since his clubface is very open he is not able to hit the ball with that swing.

The only smart thing to do here for OP is to fix the grip first. Then he can see which other issues he needs to address.

Tis thread is a mixed bag, as usual. People tend to project their own issues and fixes into these advise threads. Only a few have diagnostic skills, and the grip is overlooked by many. What makes this thread worse is that you argue against fixing a root cause to OP's issues.

You have no idea what you are talking about. They are in a different position because OP has casted but they are both have a neutral club face position because it is in line with left arm.

Also you seem to be mixing up internal and external rotation because the right arm internally rotates in when it straightens.