Meta-Awareness Learning

FourTops

Meta-Awareness has a precise meaning, and I think a lot of the posts on this thread have veered off into other aspects of the mental game of golf, which is a huge topic all by itself that gets very little attention here mainly due to the strong bias in favor of interpreting every aspect of golf performance in the frame of mechanics. Which is a gigantic mistake in my experience.

MA basically means just paying attention to whatever is happening right in front of you, in the present moment, without judgement.

Very much the essence of the empirical scientific method. The assumption is that there is some kind of truth "out there" that you are currently not grasping and that if you do discover it, that discovery will lead to some kind of problem resolution (Oh! I get it - now I know why my body wanted to keep doing that toxic OTT move!) or increased performance (when my mind is only focused on one thing during the swing, my ball flight results are much better, I can feel the absence of my usual "flinch").

That is really all there is to MA. It's not New Age bs, its something every person has the ability to learn how to do, and to get better at. It's a skill, like learning how to do a proper pivot in the golfs swing.

Paying attention at that high a level is qualitatively distinct from "normal" awareness, which lacks the clarity, objectivity and non-judgemental aspect of MA.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meta-Awareness has a precise meaning, and I think a lot of the posts on this thread have veered off into other aspects of the mental game of golf, which is a huge topic all by itself that gets very little attention here mainly due to the strong bias in favor of interpreting every aspect of golf performance in the frame of mechanics. Which is a gigantic mistake in my experience.

MA basically means just paying attention to whatever is happening right in front of you, in the present moment, without judgement.

Very much the essence of the empirical scientific method. The assumption is that there is some kind of truth "out there" that you are currently not grasping and that if you do discover it, that discovery will lead to some kind of problem resolution (Oh! I get it - now I know why my body wanted to keep doing that toxic OTT move!) or increased performance (when my mind is only focused on one thing during the swing, my ball flight results are much better, I can feel the absence of my usual "flinch").

That is really all there is to MA. It's not New Age bs, its something every person has the ability to learn how to do, and to get better at. It's a skill, like learning how to do a proper pivot in the golfs swing.

Paying attention at that high a level is qualitatively distinct from "normal" awareness, which lacks the clarity, objectivity and non-judgemental aspect of MA.

Jim - I am having some good success putting this into my play. How do I take this into practice when you are actually trying to learn something new or perfect a different body pattern or motion?

Thanks

Jim - I am having some good success putting this into my play. How do I take this into practice when you are actually trying to learn something new or perfect a different body pattern or motion?

Thanks

It really just comes down to this: in a learning or practice environment, are you paying attention with a clear and open mind (open to new discoveries, new ways of understanding) or not?

In learning mode, if working with a coach, MA would mean listening and watching the coach's communication with a strong desire to form a very clear and accurate understanding of his feedback. The normal thing to do is to listen to the coach and simultaneously compare and contrast what he or she is saying with what you already know or believe to be true. That means you are actually NOT truly listening, your are simply indulging in the normal neurotic tendency to see everything totally through your own perceptual filters.

In practice mode it means knowing what it is you are trying to change/form a habit and why, with 100% belief in its veracity, and then choosing where to anchor your mind when doing the swing or drill. Then noticing if in fact your mental focus on that one thing you chose was a constant - or did your mind wander off?

In learning mode, if working with a coach, MA would mean listening and watching the coach's communication with a strong desire to form a very clear and accurate understanding of his feedback. The normal thing to do is to listen to the coach and simultaneously compare and contrast what he or she is saying with what you already know or believe to be true. That means you are actually NOT truly listening, your are simply indulging in the normal neurotic tendency to see everything totally through your own perceptual filters.

Now this registers -- thanks for posting, Jim. Is this concept something like compartmentalizing one's mental approach?

Best comparable I can draw is a sequence of six or eight videos Monte has, I believe on YouTube, where he's working with one guy who just cannot help himself. Every point made was met with "I think this..." or "that's what I have always been trying to do when I do this...." In many cases the student did not let Monte finish his point before jumping in with a statement that inevitably began with "I...." What is the opposite of meta awareness? Mesa awareness? :D

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Now this registers -- thanks for posting, Jim. Is this concept something like compartmentalizing one's mental approach?

Best comparable I can draw is a sequence of six or eight videos Monte has, I believe on YouTube, where he's working with one guy who just cannot help himself. Every point made was met with "I think this..." or "that's what I have always been trying to do when I do this...." In many cases the student did not let Monte finish his point before jumping in with a statement that inevitably began with "I...." What is the opposite of meta awareness? Mesa awareness? :D

In ways, yes. It's of real benefit to utilize and practice it in practice. I tried just applying it in play w/o augmenting practice approach and it was a complete fail. Started applying it in practice and found I got more done doing less and mentality translated well to play. It's just a state of heightened senses and of higher absorption that provides one with more concise info to work off of. You do it and find that you mange your efforts better and bring purpose to each rep and demand more even if it's just to loosen up. I used to hit a dozen reps for a club or shot type, now I'm down to 3 max and going for less even if there's an over riding thing I'm working on.

I have not see those videos but yes - sounds like the guy in the video was really not listening to what Monte had to say but rather was more interested in how what Monte was suggesting matched his own beliefs. Meaning he was not truly listening with an open mind to try to understand what was being taught.

Interesting you picked up on the "compartmentalization" idea, it is an important part of how I teach the mental game. It's a pretty big issue in modern psychotherapy, and is based on the idea that we have different modes of functioning or "parts". MA allows you to be aware if the part you are engaging is the right "tool for the job" - or not. Kind of like knowing how stupid it would be to use a hammer to cut a board in half.

The four Big "compartments" or "modes" in my system are: Learning Mode, Training Mode, Creative Mode, and Performance Mode.

MA allows you to understand which mode you should be in at any given time in golf, and what the rules are for that mode. Bob Rotella has made a career out of writing books devoted to the notion that Training Mode and Performance Mode are incompatible, like oil and water.

Most golfers are in Training Mode or Learning Mode while playing the golf course which is a huge mistake. Tends to make you flinch and causes a lot of bad shot outcomes. Performance Mode is all about mental focus and pre-shot routine and emotional dis-engagement from the shot outcome. And embracing the swing you actually have at this point in your golfing journey, meaning NOT trying to change your swing mid-round.

In ways, yes. It's of real benefit to utilize and practice it in practice. I tried just applying it in play w/o augmenting practice approach and it was a complete fail. Started applying it in practice and found I got more done doing less and mentality translated well to play. It's just a state of heightened senses and of higher absorption that provides one with more concise info to work off of. You do it and find that you mange your efforts better and bring purpose to each rep and demand more even if it's just to loosen up. I used to hit a dozen reps for a club or shot type, now I'm down to 3 max and going for less even if there's an over riding thing I'm working on.

MA is a huge benefit in any aspect of golf: learning, practice, creating new shot patterns and performing for score on the golf course.

I would even go so far as to say that in some respects, MA is more essential for effective practice than for the other four modes.

MA will create a ton of "light bulb" moments which is the foundation for imprinting any new movement pattern.

I have not see those videos but yes - sounds like the guy in the video was really not listening to what Monte had to say but rather was more interested in how what Monte was suggesting matched his own beliefs. Meaning he was not truly listening with an open mind to try to understand what was being taught.

Interesting you picked up on the "compartmentalization" idea, it is an important part of how I teach the mental game. It's a pretty big issue in modern psychotherapy, and is based on the idea that we have different modes of functioning or "parts". MA allows you to be aware if the part you are engaging is the right "tool for the job" - or not. Kind of like knowing how stupid it would be to use a hammer to cut a board in half.

The four Big "compartments" or "modes" in my system are: Learning Mode, Training Mode, Creative Mode, and Performance Mode.

MA allows you to understand which mode you should be in at any given time in golf, and what the rules are for that mode. Bob Rotella has made a career out of writing books devoted to the notion that Training Mode and Performance Mode are incompatible, like oil and water.

Most golfers are in Training Mode or Learning Mode while playing the golf course which is a huge mistake. Tends to make you flinch and causes a lot of bad shot outcomes. Performance Mode is all about mental focus and pre-shot routine and emotional dis-engagement from the shot outcome. And embracing the swing you actually have at this point in your golfing journey, meaning NOT trying to change your swing mid-round.

Well put Jim. Being a monthly weekend warrior, I am always in training/learning mode on the course due to probably a bad habit. But, I'd like to think my limited amount of time playing golf, too.

That's perfectly stated.

Most can't wrap their heads around the emotional dis-engagement.

That's perfectly stated.

When you are not judging. Does this mean by default, you are in the present. Is this the purpose of emotional dis-engagement? Are there other benefits?

Zen Golf Audio (some similar MA concepts and more).,..enjoy!

https://www.youtube....h?v=4vsiaAzgRbg

That's perfectly stated.

When you are not judging. Does this mean by default, you are in the present. Is this the purpose of emotional dis-engagement? Are there other benefits?

Zen Golf Audio (some similar MA concepts and more).,..enjoy!

https://www.youtube....h?v=4vsiaAzgRbg

You are much more likely to be in the present when not judging. People who are have been "in the zone" would describe it as a feeling of contentment.

It's important during your PSR to work towards this content mindset and it's work everytime especially under pressure which is why people dont get it. They think they should swing without thinking and it's the opposite of that. It's a very deliberate way of thinking to be aware of your surroundings without judgment.

Now if you can get that feeling of contentment at IMPACT you have yourself a flinch proof swing, meaning no butt clinching duck hook OB with the round on the line.

Whatever swing you do while in the present is the one you need to play with.

• The non-judgement part is just one of several aspects of MA and is not a guarantee that your state is in fact true MA. But there is a strong link between sharp or clear awareness and being in the present moment. Judging a perception puts a layer between your awareness and the original perception. Like looking out of a dirty car windshield vs looking out through a clean windshield.

In normal awareness or NA, probably 50% of the time (unless you are required to do clear focus on a task for work or for some other important reason) your mind shifts back and forth between memories of past events and fantasies about future events, and the other 50% of the time you are judging what you like or don't like about something happening in the present moment. Some guy cuts you off in traffic in the middle of a daydream about a conversation you had yesterday with a co-worker, so you are forced to "pop back" into the present moment to avoid an accident, and then a split second later you are reacting to the idiot who cut you off and indulging in an angry rant.

I know because this has happened to me more than once, and my wife (who is a natural born genius for MA) will scold me saying "why are you letting that idiot control your emotional state? It happened five minutes ago and you are still ranting about it! Let it go!"