Meta-Awareness Learning

FourTops

Tiger also learned basic Buddhist meditation from his Mom at an early age.

Meditation is one of the fastest ways to start to master MA.

In the Vipassana Buddhist tradition, you start by noticing your breath and seeing if you can anchor your mind to breath without losing that focus on the breath. Losing is very easy to do when we identify with passing thoughts, ie it starts the whole day-dreaming cycle.

Waking up in MA is about noticing when you have "lost" your focus on the breath, and then instantly restoring your focus to the breath. For newbies that breath focus will last all of three to ten seconds, and then you lose yourself in the "thought stream", notice that it happened, and then re-focus on the breath.

For golf, you simply decide before you walk up to the ball where your mind will be focused and then see if you can keep that focus for the entire 1.5 second duration of the golf swing.

Great insight to Tiger, thx. I have an interesting "thought" (lol). Is there negative MA? For example, on the backswing in particular - I start to think and become aware of the bad stuff in my swing - I say to myself, "oh, know my left arm is not straight or I've lifted the club in the back swing instead of turned". Perhaps, this is a WRX affliction. In hind set, this distraction can not be very productive and more likely it is harmful. If we're in agreement that the negative chatter is bad, what's the fix? Be more forward swing or target swing focused? Pick a target and keep that picture in mind or release the club on the forward swing? Thx, Tanner

I'm not sure if I have grasped what you are asking Tanner. I'm not being critical but I'm not sure if you have grasped the MA concept.

Others can correct me if I am wrong but to me MA is the watcher who notices what you are thinking. It's as though it's from a third person perspective. When you ask if there is negative MA you seem to be confusing MA with your internal dialogue whereas it is the MA which is aware of the dialogue.

So to answer your question about negative chatter the first step is to be aware of it. The other thing you can do is give your mind a task to occupy it (the Timothy Gallwey approach).

I float my golf balls in an Epsom salt solution and mark the top with a green dot. For tee shots and putting I focus on the green dot. I occupy my thinking mind (TGs Ego1) with the job of concentrating on the dot. Beforehand I will have done the thinking about conditions, club to use etc and I'll have a practice swing to get a feel. When I step up to the ball I then concentrate on the dot or a dimple on the top of the ball and let the swing happen.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Vipassana Buddhist tradition, you start by noticing your breath and seeing if you can anchor your mind to breath without losing that focus on the breath. Losing is very easy to do when we identify with passing thoughts, ie it starts the whole day-dreaming cycle.

Waking up in MA is about noticing when you have "lost" your focus on the breath, and then instantly restoring your focus to the breath. For newbies that breath focus will last all of three to ten seconds, and then you lose yourself in the "thought stream", notice that it happened, and then re-focus on the breath.

For golf, you simply decide before you walk up to the ball where your mind will be focused and then see if you can keep that focus for the entire 1.5 second duration of the golf swing.

Great insight to Tiger, thx. I have an interesting "thought" (lol). Is there negative MA? For example, on the backswing in particular - I start to think and become aware of the bad stuff in my swing - I say to myself, "oh, know my left arm is not straight or I've lifted the club in the back swing instead of turned". Perhaps, this is a WRX affliction. In hind set, this distraction can not be very productive and more likely it is harmful. If we're in agreement that the negative chatter is bad, what's the fix? Be more forward swing or target swing focused? Pick a target and keep that picture in mind or release the club on the forward swing? Thx, Tanner

I'm not sure if I have grasped what you are asking Tanner. I'm not being critical but I'm not sure if you have grasped the MA concept.

Others can correct me if I am wrong but to me MA is the watcher who notices what you are thinking. It's as though it's from a third person perspective. When you ask if there is negative MA you seem to be confusing MA with your internal dialogue whereas it is the MA which is aware of the dialogue.

So to answer your question about negative chatter the first step is to be aware of it. The other thing you can do is give your mind a task to occupy it (the Timothy Gallwey approach).

I float my golf balls in an Epsom salt solution and mark the top with a green dot. For tee shots and putting I focus on the green dot. I occupy my thinking mind (TGs Ego1) with the job of concentrating on the dot. Beforehand I will have done the thinking about conditions, club to use etc and I'll have a practice swing to get a feel. When I step up to the ball I then concentrate on the dot or a dimple on the top of the ball and let the swing happen.

Agreed, Millbrook. I might be confusing the two. I really like the Malaska stuff. On fairway shots, my best swing are when I need to hit a punch shot. I don't think about positions, I just hit a punch shot. Voila, short backswing, steady head, stacked on the target side leg without thinking of anything - I just do it. I am going to take this further and use the Malaska thought of feeling the shot. Perhaps, observe what a punch shot feels like on a pre-swing and try to duplicate the feel.

No such thing as "negative MA". But a huge part of the mental game is noticing what happens when your mind is engaged with certain focal points. "Focal Point" simply means the thing that you are paying attention to. If you are paying attention to your body and you notice via feel that your body is in a bad position, sure - that noticing could then trigger a flinch.

One of the big Rules is never do anything to trigger a flinch.

So for someone with Tanner's issue, that guy or gal should never use their body as a focal point during the swing. Focus on target picture, or balance or tempo or confidence.

Any one ever notice how the default focal point on wrx is almost always (like 99.9% of the time) about what your body should be doing during the swing? Almost like target, tempo, rhythm, balance, and positive emotional states like confidence don't even exist.

This is really good Millbrook. If I could add one thing that works for me I would say as you keep your focus on the green dot be content on if you hit it or not.

External focus AND contentment is where you can turn the corner. It's not swinging without thoughts, it's deliberate placement of your thoughts.

No such thing as "negative MA". But a huge part of the mental game is noticing what happens when your mind is engaged with certain focal points. "Focal Point" simply means the thing that you are paying attention to. If you are paying attention to your body and you notice via feel that your body is in a bad position, sure - that noticing could then trigger a flinch.

So for someone with Tanner's issue, that guy or gal should never use their body as a focal point during the swing. Focus on target picture, or balance or tempo or confidence.

Any one ever notice how the default focal point on wrx is almost always (like 99.9% of the time) about what your body should be doing during the swing? Almost like target, tempo, rhythm, balance, and positive emotional states like confidence don't even exist.

To your last paragraph. Yes I notice that, it mind boggling. If your instructor doesn't ask what your emotional state is than run. The problem is you'd be running a lot.

Agreed Jim, not sure why we've been body focused. Perhaps, many of us grew up playing sports like baseball and basketball and we're programmed in a way that is not conducive to golf? It's interesting on the video Millbrook shared. The pro has perfect balance and the average player is moving around quite a bit. Balance is rarely talked about. Tanner

To your last paragraph. Yes I notice that, it mind boggling. If your instructor doesn't ask what your emotional state is than run. The problem is you'd be running a lot.

Yes and it's really not any one's fault that golf has a severely dysfunctional learning model, or rather just almost a total absence of any kind of formal learning model grounded in Neuroscience and psychology. Golf is a very conservative sport and the culture around golf is resistant to change.

Twenty years ago in the Desert I gave an evening clinic in the clubhouse where I taught then, for some of the members. I had two of my longtime students attending as well (non-members) one was a veteran LPGA tour pro, the other a mini-tour pro and former top college player. When I showed the group the Three Sensory Channels exercise (visual, auditory and feel modes) and mentioned why and how "talking to body parts" was not a good idea, but feeling your body was much better, the two pros said to me "why would any golfer talk to their body parts? That is a really strange thing to do and how could that possibly be effective? Never once in my life have I ever heard a voice in my head talking to my body...really weird thing to do! I just feel my body motion and through my hands I sense what the club is doing".

The members were all mid to high cappers and they said this to me "Jim - of course I talk to my body parts that is what I have done for over 25 years playing golf, every one I know does exactly the same thing, are you kidding me, you don't want me to do that anymore? How could that possibly work well? I don't even think I could hit the ball if I was not verbally commanding my body what to do!"

For anyone who plays piano or guitar...I challenge you to "talk to your body parts" while playing. Playing those instruments is a "reactionary" process, much like if I see steps coming I automatically adjust my gate to seamlessly step up to the first step and continue. Golf is even worse because we've got 1.5 seconds. And in piano or guitar, I guarantee folks that the second you start thinking...it's over. Plus, I can practice a piece all day, play it well, then folks come over and ask me to play. Suddenly that "easy piece" becomes difficult because I've got "one shot" for each note....does that sound like range vs. course issues?

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

The “ taking to body parts “. I didn’t know people did that until about a year ago. My club pro and another longtime instructor I play with were talking during a round about a student. Not even mentioning that persons name. Just the hard time he was having. And that topic came up. All at once one of them turns to me and says “ hey jack. I’ve been meaning to ask you what you think of on some of those short game shots where you clip the legs out from under the ball or land it with draw or cut spin ?. “. That question was in context from a previous conversation a guy had started with me in the practice green about the same thing.

I answered “ I don’t know. “ and after a second I said “ nothing really “. He says “ bingo. That’s the correct answer “. I don’t. I just read the lie , setup and hit the shot the lie gives . It’s not 100%. But the subject was brought up because I have a tendency to get out of jail free pretty often. And the original guy who brought it up is almost always present by coincidence, So he thinks I’m super human or something. I’m not. Lol.

Point is I don’t tell my hands what to do. I don’t even know what they do. They just do what they do. It’s not without hours of practice. I happen to enjoy hitting balls more than just about anything. So it works.

You think Jimi Hendrix talked to his hands? Please. He didn’t know what he was going to play until after he played it.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

The " taking to body parts ". I didn't know people did that until about a year ago. My club pro and another longtime instructor I play with were talking during a round about a student. Not even mentioning that persons name. Just the hard time he was having. And that topic came up. All at once one of them turns to me and says " hey jack. I've been meaning to ask you what you think of on some of those short game shots where you clip the legs out from under the ball or land it with draw or cut spin ?. ". That question was in context from a previous conversation a guy had started with me in the practice green about the same thing.

I answered " I don't know. " and after a second I said " nothing really ". He says " bingo. That's the correct answer ". I don't. I just read the lie , setup and hit the shot the lie gives . It's not 100%. But the subject was brought up because I have a tendency to get out of jail free pretty often. And the original guy who brought it up is almost always present by coincidence, So he thinks I'm super human or something. I'm not. Lol.

Point is I don't tell my hands what to do. I don't even know what they do. They just do what they do. It's not without hours of practice. I happen to enjoy hitting balls more than just about anything. So it works.

You think Jimi Hendrix talked to his hands? Please. He didn't know what he was going to play until after he played it.

BH, say it ain't so (you and Obes both). While this thread has been mildly entertaining and somewhat insulting at times, I really think the psychobabble and the folks commanding their bodies to move, as if that would help, is all crazy. I suspect it is just a lack of understanding on my part. As always I will remain one of the resident heretics.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

The " taking to body parts ". I didn't know people did that until about a year ago. My club pro and another longtime instructor I play with were talking during a round about a student. Not even mentioning that persons name. Just the hard time he was having. And that topic came up. All at once one of them turns to me and says " hey jack. I've been meaning to ask you what you think of on some of those short game shots where you clip the legs out from under the ball or land it with draw or cut spin ?. ". That question was in context from a previous conversation a guy had started with me in the practice green about the same thing.

I answered " I don't know. " and after a second I said " nothing really ". He says " bingo. That's the correct answer ". I don't. I just read the lie , setup and hit the shot the lie gives . It's not 100%. But the subject was brought up because I have a tendency to get out of jail free pretty often. And the original guy who brought it up is almost always present by coincidence, So he thinks I'm super human or something. I'm not. Lol.

Point is I don't tell my hands what to do. I don't even know what they do. They just do what they do. It's not without hours of practice. I happen to enjoy hitting balls more than just about anything. So it works.

You think Jimi Hendrix talked to his hands? Please. He didn't know what he was going to play until after he played it.

BH, say it ain't so (you and Obes both). While this thread has been mildly entertaining and somewhat insulting at times, I really think the psychobabble and the folks commanding their bodies to move, as if that would help, is all crazy. I suspect it is just a lack of understanding on my part. As always I will remain one of the resident heretics.

You can't think about anything in 1.5 seconds.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

And yet I do. Go figure.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

And yet I do. Go figure.

Superman....I've met you guys.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

And yet I do. Go figure.

Superman....I've met you guys.

Girl in this case. Like I said, I am one of the resident heretics.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Confess or . . .

Bet you didn't expect the Spanish . . .

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I totally agree. Furthermore, I have never had an instructor address those issues either. It's always body mechanics. Always.

I totally agree. Furthermore, I have never had an instructor address those issues either. It's always body mechanics. Always.

Yes it is. And one of the basic mistakes of that bias toward body mechanics only instruction is that it overlooks a whole other set of massively influential (on the shot outcome!) factors: the emotional state of the golfer (fear/anxiety/lack of confidence creates one or more flinches which ruins your mechanics and the shot), the mental focus of the golfer or the lack of it (same thing re flinching), balance (which Hogan and many other great players believed was MORE important influence on the shot outcome than mechanics), tempo, rhythm, and things like steering and hit impulse.

Recognizing those other factors requires the instructor to see the human golfer as something much more than a flesh and blood version of a robot.

Jim mentioned confidence. Can we fake confidence? It usually comes after some success. Can we trick ourselves into hitting a good shot? It certainly works the opposite way. Don't hit it in the water, where does it go,,,in the water.

It does seem like a trick at first. Like as in you trick your ego into taking a backseat while the SC hits a great shot. For a long time it may feel like your tricking your ego, but eventually it's no trick. The confidence comes from knowing what your SC is capable of at your current skill level.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Home Girl !!!!!!!

Now you know I’m a bit of a loose lugnut. And identify with about half the theories here. I guess I’m just Uber curious about this line of thought. Why ? I’ve decided that the mental aspect is indeed the hump that is holding me back a bit. I’ve got the ability to shoot as low as pretty much anyone. Which I know sounds very arrogant. But let’s face it. I’ve played too many 9s on too many courses 3-6 under par. No reason why a complete round like that can’t be finished except for the mental strength to do it. So im in search of that knowledge too. Just like I searched and built my own swing ( with help from several mentors of course ).

The short game skills I mentioned is the part I was born with. Again. Sounds arrogant. But it’s true. When I started playing at home in the fields I quickly learned how to hit any shot with a pw and 7 iron. All the short clubs I had at the time. Trial , error and necessity were my teachers. I now fear no lie , no obstacle, and truly do get up and down a larger amount of time than anyone I know. Again. Just saying what I know is true. Not trying to brag. I’ve figured out wayyyy before this thread that if I thought about what I was doing with shots like that I’d mess up. If I got into a groove in practice I’d start hitting strings of targets.

I play a game where I dump 50 balls randomly from a bucket over a 20 yard area. Anything from fluffy to hard pan lies. I play the ball where it is. Even if a divot. And I have 100 75 50 yard targets. I’ve gotten into a groove and hit 10-12 targets in a row. Targets are old farm implements. Usually 10ft x8ft ish. So hitting one is a solid birdie opportunity. This is much harder than it sounds. But once it translates to the course. I just get yardage pull club , see my home target and pull the trigger. No other thought. The lie and adjustments for that have become automatic. That’s what I was getting at. Not some zen idea that you can trance out and somehow hit a good shot. It has to be accomplished though repetitive practice which includes that clear mind and choices With every shot. Never hit a ball without a shot in mind. A goal. No point in it if you re just hitting a ball.

I don’t know if that helps or hurts. Lol. But as Jesco White says “ I ain’t all the way crazy “. Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Home Girl !!!!!!!

Now you know I'm a bit of a loose lugnut. And identify with about half the theories here. I guess I'm just Uber curious about this line of thought. Why ? I've decided that the mental aspect is indeed the hump that is holding me back a bit. I've got the ability to shoot as low as pretty much anyone. Which I know sounds very arrogant. But let's face it. I've played too many 9s on too many courses 3-6 under par. No reason why a complete round like that can't be finished except for the mental strength to do it. So im in search of that knowledge too. Just like I searched and built my own swing ( with help from several mentors of course ).

The short game skills I mentioned is the part I was born with. Again. Sounds arrogant. But it's true. When I started playing at home in the fields I quickly learned how to hit any shot with a pw and 7 iron. All the short clubs I had at the time. Trial , error and necessity were my teachers. I now fear no lie , no obstacle, and truly do get up and down a larger amount of time than anyone I know. Again. Just saying what I know is true. Not trying to brag. I've figured out wayyyy before this thread that if I thought about what I was doing with shots like that I'd mess up. If I got into a groove in practice I'd start hitting strings of targets.

I play a game where I dump 50 balls randomly from a bucket over a 20 yard area. Anything from fluffy to hard pan lies. I play the ball where it is. Even if a divot. And I have 100 75 50 yard targets. I've gotten into a groove and hit 10-12 targets in a row. Targets are old farm implements. Usually 10ft x8ft ish. So hitting one is a solid birdie opportunity. This is much harder than it sounds. But once it translates to the course. I just get yardage pull club , see my home target and pull the trigger. No other thought. The lie and adjustments for that have become automatic. That's what I was getting at. Not some zen idea that you can trance out and somehow hit a good shot. It has to be accomplished though repetitive practice which includes that clear mind and choices With every shot. Never hit a ball without a shot in mind. A goal. No point in it if you re just hitting a ball.

I don't know if that helps or hurts. Lol. But as Jesco White says " I ain't all the way crazy ". Lol

This may sound like a line from Kung Fu - Grasshopper...but you became "one" with your club. It's an extension of your body. Nobody can ever quite explain why folks can hit great PW's on the range, maybe 100 in a row, then get on the course and chunk a PW to the first green. That's not a mechanical breakdown despite the player will 100% believe his swing was the fault. For some, venturing into admitting the mind sabotaged the shot introduces an uncomfortable feeling that they can't control themselves because in that case there's no controlling mechanical fix.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Home Girl !!!!!!!

Now you know I'm a bit of a loose lugnut. And identify with about half the theories here. I guess I'm just Uber curious about this line of thought. Why ? I've decided that the mental aspect is indeed the hump that is holding me back a bit. I've got the ability to shoot as low as pretty much anyone. Which I know sounds very arrogant. But let's face it. I've played too many 9s on too many courses 3-6 under par. No reason why a complete round like that can't be finished except for the mental strength to do it. So im in search of that knowledge too. Just like I searched and built my own swing ( with help from several mentors of course ).

The short game skills I mentioned is the part I was born with. Again. Sounds arrogant. But it's true. When I started playing at home in the fields I quickly learned how to hit any shot with a pw and 7 iron. All the short clubs I had at the time. Trial , error and necessity were my teachers. I now fear no lie , no obstacle, and truly do get up and down a larger amount of time than anyone I know. Again. Just saying what I know is true. Not trying to brag. I've figured out wayyyy before this thread that if I thought about what I was doing with shots like that I'd mess up. If I got into a groove in practice I'd start hitting strings of targets.

I play a game where I dump 50 balls randomly from a bucket over a 20 yard area. Anything from fluffy to hard pan lies. I play the ball where it is. Even if a divot. And I have 100 75 50 yard targets. I've gotten into a groove and hit 10-12 targets in a row. Targets are old farm implements. Usually 10ft x8ft ish. So hitting one is a solid birdie opportunity. This is much harder than it sounds. But once it translates to the course. I just get yardage pull club , see my home target and pull the trigger. No other thought. The lie and adjustments for that have become automatic. That's what I was getting at. Not some zen idea that you can trance out and somehow hit a good shot. It has to be accomplished though repetitive practice which includes that clear mind and choices With every shot. Never hit a ball without a shot in mind. A goal. No point in it if you re just hitting a ball.

I don't know if that helps or hurts. Lol. But as Jesco White says " I ain't all the way crazy ". Lol

OK, I feel better now. In general I agree. Execution when it matters ultimately becomes the issue. That's why I like to have 2 or 3 swing keys in play. Knowing that replicating the swing key feels will result in a good shot gives great motivation for focus during the swing.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Home Girl !!!!!!!

MA is the polar opposite of "trancing out"....I had a good laugh when I read that. Zen practice is about being totally awake, again - not a trance state, total opposite.

In a Zen monastery, it is strongly discouraged to daydream while meditating. If you start to day dream, or lose your focus, or start to nod off, their is a monk on duty whose job it is to notice this (by reading your body language) who will whack you on the shoulders with a large stick to bring you back to a state of fully awake.

Mental game, at least the way I coach it, is extremely practical and down to earth, nothing "new age" about it.

There is a ton of mis-perceptions on this forum about the mental game. And saying "mis-perceptions" is being kind.....

One that gets repeated a lot here is the classic "it's either mental game or mechanics" trope.

That is just sheer nonsense. Nothing about learning how to use your mind to improve your golf scores and golf shot outcomes precludes one from working on mechanics as well to improve shot outcomes and scores. The two things totally complement one another.

But there is a big difference between "thinking about" mechanics and actually having your body perform those mechanics. The goal of training is to actually have your body do the mechanics without having to think about them. And that means knowing something about the process of how the mind-brain/body learns how to create dominant habit movement patterns.

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Home Girl !!!!!!!

OK, I feel better now. In general I agree. Execution when it matters ultimately becomes the issue. That's why I like to have 2 or 3 swing keys in play. Knowing that replicating the swing key feels will result in a good shot gives great motivation for focus during the swing.

We’re saying very close to if not exactly the same thing. Although I get that it is hard to translate exactly sometimes.

I don’t have the ability to put into words the experiences that I’ve had at times. And I also know that sometimes there are plenty of smarter folks than I here who I have a hard time understanding. I’m not dumb. But I learn differently than most I’ve found out. So I also am a horrible teacher Or “ explainer “. Lol. I can watch some in do something once or twice and teach myself to replicate it. But show it to me on paper and I cannot absorb much. Tell it to me and I may get it. IF .... I can ask questions and try to translate it to my way of thinking.

My point there is that sometimes what I say isn’t even what I’m thinking. Lol. Not exactly. And sometimes I agree with someone and I’m not in 100 % agreement but I’ve taken a part of it I like and will use it. I don’t even know if that made sense. Lol.

And Jim’s last post sums it up. Soooooo many here claim it to be technical vs mental.

It’s never either or. And it’s always both. But you have to get past they technical , at least mostly. I have a couple thoughts in my Pre shot. Very simply. Start backswing with my core. Arms follow connected. And the path going back for the shot im hitting. I have 3. Slightly inside for a draw. Slightly outside my hands for a fade. And straight back for a shot that may fade 1-2 yards. But intent is straight. Grip pressure shifts from left hand to right hand for a fade and draw respectfully. That’s as technical as I am on a full swing. Ever... I think wayyy less for feel shots around the green. Read the lie and pick a spot to land it. I don’t do video. I don’t do “ positions “ etc. plenty here would roast me for that talk. So be it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wow. Yes. Yes yes.

Home Girl !!!!!!!

We're saying very close to if not exactly the same thing. Although I get that it is hard to translate exactly sometimes.

I don't have the ability to put into words the experiences that I've had at times. And I also know that sometimes there are plenty of smarter folks than I here who I have a hard time understanding. I'm not dumb. But I learn differently than most I've found out. So I also am a horrible teacher Or " explainer ". Lol. I can watch some in do something once or twice and teach myself to replicate it. But show it to me on paper and I cannot absorb much. Tell it to me and I may get it. IF .... I can ask questions and try to translate it to my way of thinking.

My point there is that sometimes what I say isn't even what I'm thinking. Lol. Not exactly. And sometimes I agree with someone and I'm not in 100 % agreement but I've taken a part of it I like and will use it. I don't even know if that made sense. Lol.

And Jim's last post sums it up. Soooooo many here claim it to be technical vs mental.

It's never either or. And it's always both. But you have to get past they technical , at least mostly. I have a couple thoughts in my Pre shot. Very simply. Start backswing with my core. Arms follow connected. And the path going back for the shot im hitting. I have 3. Slightly inside for a draw. Slightly outside my hands for a fade. And straight back for a shot that may fade 1-2 yards. But intent is straight. Grip pressure shifts from left hand to right hand for a fade and draw respectfully. That's as technical as I am on a full swing. Ever... I think wayyy less for feel shots around the green. Read the lie and pick a spot to land it. I don't do video. I don't do " positions " etc. plenty here would roast me for that talk. So be it.

Actually you explained yourself very well, I could not agree more. It is tough to talk about this mental stuff mainly because in popular golf culture, there has been so little attention paid to it so we lack a common vocabulary.

But it can be boiled down to something as simple as this. Your brain is responsible for sending instructions to your muscles to move bones/joints, which creates the club motion - good or bad - which determines impact and where the shot ends up. You either understand that the part of your brain that sends those instructions is outside of your conscious mind's control or you believe that is indeed something you can control consciously through swingt "thoughts" or verbal commands to your body.

If you buy into the belief that your conscious mind/ego is the one "in charge" then most of what the mental game has to offer you will be lost to you.

The golfers who have at least a tiny amount of awareness for what is happening will notice that on their bad shots, their mind was in a different place than on their good shots. Then they may notice that when their mind goes to that bad place, they feel in their body a muscle quickly tensing up, which never happens on their good shots.

That is the start of that golfer understanding a mind/body connection approach to the game of golf.

Again, this is a real simple process that requires zero theoretical "buy-in" - it's stuff that is happening right in front of your nose, IF your mind is open enough to see it.

Actually you explained yourself very well, I could not agree more. It is tough to talk about this mental stuff mainly because in popular golf culture, there has been so little attention paid to it so we lack a common vocabulary.

But it can be boiled down to something as simple as this. Your brain is responsible for sending instructions to your muscles to move bones/joints, which creates the club motion - good or bad - which determines impact and where the shot ends up. You either understand that the part of your brain that sends those instructions is outside of your conscious mind's control or you believe that is indeed something you can control consciously through swingt "thoughts" or verbal commands to your body.

If you buy into the belief that your conscious mind/ego is the one "in charge" then most of what the mental game has to offer you will be lost to you.

The golfers who have at least a tiny amount of awareness for what is happening will notice that on their bad shots, their mind was in a different place than on their good shots. Then they may notice that when their mind goes to that bad place, they feel in their body a muscle quickly tensing up, which never happens on their good shots.

That is the start of that golfer understanding a mind/body connection approach to the game of golf.

Again, this is a real simple process that requires zero theoretical "buy-in" - it's stuff that is happening right in front of your nose, IF your mind is open enough to see it.

Excellent

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

To Jim's point about lack of a vocabulary on MA and how to describe it when related to golf.

Googling "Meta-Awareness golf" this thread is now the 5th link that pops up and 1st thing that pops up with golf in the title. And it was created on 11/15/18.

The two go hand in hand, but talking about it is in it's infancy in the mainstream. I will predict now that in order for people who take this game up after age 19, some sort of MA is what will finally bring scores down as a whole. Bold statement, but humans will eventually find a way to master something and MA is a huge part of that.

Excellent post again Jim.

To your points. I’ve had large battles in they last 2 years on course with myself. My “ self talk “ has been atrocious. Mostly around my putting woes. I’ve always had self confidence in ballstriking. But I’ve had rounds in competition where I 3 putted 7 or more greens. I believed that I was the worst putter on earth. ( I am not ). And I talked to my self this way. And it was absolutely a self fulfilling prophecy. When I’d get into myself I’d tense up and everything from a yip to just very poor speed control would immediately set in. I’ve overcome this and I now am very positive over the ball. Driver is my last mountain. I’m better. But I’m still prone to the unexplainable flinch that is liable to go anywhere.

On the flip side I’ve never been that way with shortgame or approach shots. I’ve literally said to myself while walking to my ball for a pitch or bunker shot etc “ lets just make this one and get on to the next hole “. And then setup and drop it in the hole. I’ve done that more times in 4 years ( started this game in 2014) than I can recall. Self talk makes a difference. I don’t claim to be a master. But I’m a believer.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Excellent post again Jim.

To your points. I've had large battles in they last 2 years on course with myself. My " self talk " has been atrocious. Mostly around my putting woes. I've always had self confidence in ballstriking. But I've had rounds in competition where I 3 putted 7 or more greens. I believed that I was the worst putter on earth. ( I am not ). And I talked to my self this way. And it was absolutely a self fulfilling prophecy. When I'd get into myself I'd tense up and everything from a yip to just very poor speed control would immediately set in. I've overcome this and I now am very positive over the ball. Driver is my last mountain. I'm better. But I'm still prone to the unexplainable flinch that is liable to go anywhere.

On the flip side I've never been that way with shortgame or approach shots. I've literally said to myself while walking to my ball for a pitch or bunker shot etc " lets just make this one and get on to the next hole ". And then setup and drop it in the hole. I've done that more times in 4 years ( started this game in 2014) than I can recall. Self talk makes a difference. I don't claim to be a master. But I'm a believer.

Yes - you are noticing a direct correlation between your mental state and your shot outcomes. That is the essence of MA.

In our all day putting "boot camps" the very first drill we do with the students is a positive self-talk exercise to replace their old "I suck at putting!" to "I am a great putter!".

Interesting is that about half of the students do not want to say out loud "I am a great putter!" like they mean it.

Their ego is so attached to their negative self-image as a bad putter that even the thought of saying that positive phrase out loud is tough for them.

One of the cardinal principles of peak performance psychology is that your performance will always tend to match your self-image.

No point working on anything else - especially mechanics! - until and unless you change your self-image first.

I have seen scores of students do that self-image change in just a few minutes and then immediately start putting much better.