Meta-Awareness Learning

FourTops

A flip of hierarchy, a re-alignment of who is in charge is part of this. A letting go by the commanding, domineering ego conscious and an elevation the unconscious is part of this. The org chart is not so vertical, it gets flattened or even inverted. Conscious serves the unconscious which is polar opposite of much of our day to day.

Interesting. You're saying golf triggers a bad recipe of conscious vs. SC. If so, it's not just golf. It initially occurs while learning piano. It's why so many folks quit early on. They approach piano like a math problem vs. learning to let-go and just play. It's why piano teachers insist students "keep playing" through mistakes vs. stopping and re-starting....they are trying to stop Self 1 from over-analysis...and as weird as this sounds....my instructor told me to become "at one" with the piano, to see the keyboard in my head...make mistakes...and that my brain will eventually just absorb and my fingers will simply "react".

Maybe piano teachers should teach golf? LOL!.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A flip of hierarchy, a re-alignment of who is in charge is part of this. A letting go by the commanding, domineering ego conscious and an elevation the unconscious is part of this. The org chart is not so vertical, it gets flattened or even inverted. Conscious serves the unconscious which is polar opposite of much of our day to day.

Interesting. You're saying golf triggers a bad recipe of conscious vs. SC. If so, it's not just golf. It initially occurs while learning piano. It's why so many folks quit early on. They approach piano like a math problem vs. learning to let-go and just play. It's why piano teachers insist students "keep playing" through mistakes vs. stopping and re-starting....they are trying to stop Self 1 from over-analysis...and as weird as this sounds....my instructor told me to become "at one" with the piano, to see the keyboard in my head...make mistakes...and that my brain will eventually just absorb and my fingers will simply "react".

My thinking is that it nakedly exposes it more than many other activities. Probably not as much as say free climbing but more than most sports and games which is not to say golf is harder than those, it's just a better crucible that is also more democratically available to the many who have no particular or outstanding athleticism.

You can take Meta-Awareness too far. Early on I would play entire rounds of golf never letting the talker in and thus never judging or letting the ego take credit for anything. This was stress free, but it also was bland and I wasn't sure it I had fun or not. I enjoyed being outdoors more than the golf. Your senses are heightened when you're in the present.

So I'm developing something in the middle. Before the shot I still strategize on potential danger and outcomes, but during PSR I begin the process of being content with the outcome. By the time I start the swing I have got to a place where results are irrelevant. I'm in the now, past and future mean nothing. Here the subconscious will max out my current skill level. The place where I'm trying to advance my personal learning is the following:

**Only if I'm in the present can I recognize if a bad shot was technical or mental**

After each shot of swinging in the present a heightened sense of why things are happening the way they are starts to form. It excels learning.

This is so much different than the way people approach the game that I understand the resistance. But it works and in terms of golf learning, can be learned in a very short period of time.

So if you want to beat your chest and feed the ego, do it, but base it on how well you won the mental game. The good golf will be a result.

jbw749,

I think it is mostly thought that, the downswing must start with the lower body first. Whether that is achieved through a hip bump or even an upper body move to force the lower to move is another story. Can one stay in the present without thought and still achieve this lower body move without actively (self talk) commanding a body part to move? Thx Tanner

Swing thoughts like starting the swing from the ground up are ok for learning, but it's really important to not have an expectation that if you do it it will work. Because if you have a few shots where it doesn't you will start to doubt. If that happens learning mode is off. Think about how hard it would be to learn something in any other part of life if you doubted you could. If your trying a new move in the present there is no doubt or false sense that you've figured it all out.

If you start the swing from the ground up while in the present your SC can actually feel it and adjust.

Feel things without judging them. Learning mode will be on.

If you start striping it don't give yourself a false sense that you've now figured out golf. That sets up failure. Stay content, you'll learn what works and why.

Ideally after it's learned you should not think about it at all. The golf swing is a subconscious action. But some people can play pretty good or great (few relatively speaking) by talking to body parts and using complex swing thoughts hitting positions so they think that must be the right way, because Jordan Spieth can talk to himself all day and still play excellent. They're just aren't that many outstanding golfers and there's hardly any who picked it up later in life. I think lack of Meta-Awareness is the reason why.

Thanks, for the post. I am guilty of just giving up after a few swings. Heck, I know it takes me 6 months to get used to a new club. Yet for some reason, I expect an instant result when trying something new.

I play the piano fairly well....I can tell you that my mood resonates in my playing. If I'm distracted, I stink. So I end up clearing my mind by playing scales...the equivalent of reaffirming my golf "feel points" with my eyes closed. I sound like a nutball...but it's similar to meditation to clear the mind of negative thoughts.

I breathe through my eyelids like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands.

My thinking is that it nakedly exposes it more than many other activities. Probably not as much as say free climbing but more than most sports and games which is not to say golf is harder than those, it's just a better crucible that is also more democratically available to the many who have no particular or outstanding athleticism.

And the fact that in golf or piano the ball or keys are just sitting there...not moving...right in front of you....which puts pressure on the person to perform because after all "hey, they're sitting right in front of you...you can't be that dumb to not perform!".

And the fact that in golf or piano the ball or keys are just sitting there...not moving...right in front of you....which puts pressure on the person to perform because after all "hey, they're sitting right in front of you...you can't be that dumb to not perform!".

Exactly, little stimuli to go or stay in a reactive mode.

SPOT ON

A roll reversal is what it is. Self 1 will not give up control until it's humbled by the subconscious. Self 1 needs to feel less important and sit back and watch the show the SC can put on.

It will not relinquish control until it's proven the SC is better at the task.

After that self 1 will now know it's job is to only observe and distract itself. Place itself somewhere useful (external), but out of the way.

I'll get back to some of these post tonight. Great stuff.

Observe things without talking to yourself.

Look at something near you but don't narrate, just observe it. Do this with everything including people you're talking to throughout the day and see how you feel after a few hours.

If you observe without self talk, judgment of that observation never materializes.

You react to car cutting you off, but it being a woman never crosses your mind its completely irrelevant to the situation, because there's no one there to narrate it.

This is most things in the golf swing a bunch of irrelevant things we dont need to think about.

So I played today and what's funny is Self 1 seems to be my default mode as SOON as I transition from the range to the 1st tee. I actually noticed getting "tighter" and I also found myself pre-thinking my first drive...what side of the box to tee from....and the dreaded "make sure you don't do _____". It seems like all the progress made from last week fizzled into thin air. Then I found myself telling Self 1 to STFU, but in doing so that in and of itself was a distraction as I lost focus on visualizing my shot. Then I noticed my swing felt shorter and more abrupt than on the range....like my muscles shortened several inches.

I think what happened was my prior round was so good that I thought "I've got this now". In that round I didn't think about much of anything other than "swing like Couples". I did some deep breathing before every shot...visualized my shots. So I think Self 1 jumped on the gravy train and said, "you don't need to do all that stuff now"...you got this....but I don't. I felt rushed today.

Ok folks...you all will like this for alternate thought....I talked to our personal friend who is a professional dancer about 30 minutes ago because I texted her asking why i seem to not be able to perform certain moves in golf at full-speed...only in slow motion. i told her my body seems to be rejecting my requests.

She called me and said: "you're NOT stretched enough!" She said she stretches for over an hour before attempting a dance routine...and has a specific regimen of stretches according to the upcoming dance style / demands. She said she's stretching when she's off camera between dances. She also said "imagine me...I do this for a living...and I have to stretch more in one night than you in 10 years!". She was joking...but making a point. She said it's not your brain fighting you....it's your body saying NO. She added that's why I can hit certain positions in slow-motion...but not at full-speed.

I can't say who this woman is....but if you've watched DWTS....you've seen her many times.

My mental game philosophy. “Enjoy every sand wedge”. Thank you, excitable boy.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

While I don't always agree with Jim Waldron....I think he's onto something with meta-awareness. When I first saw the information, my immediate reaction was to disprove his idea. But after some thought, it kinda made sense. Now I don't claim to understand every aspect of meta-awareness, and maybe Jim can chime-in, but I've posted before that I see a "movie" in my head regarding how I want to swing.

OK...that may sound crazy...but it's true. When I setup to hit...I picture myself "watching" my swing like another player would do on the course. And as I've posted...i picture Fred Couple's swing in my mind...and I think "how would that swing look if I watched myself swing like Fred?". i'm NOT saying my swing is the same as his....just that my brain has an image that provides a sense of "fluidity" and "positions" I should be "in" as I swing.

Anyway, I know this post sounds nuts....and it may not coincide with Jim's concepts...but I thought I'd share my thoughts for comments...knowing I'll get many "are you smoking crack?" comments.

I don't think of positions during the swing (on the golf course that is). If I am thinking positions, then I have not found a swing to work with. Once I've found a swing to work with, it's all about rhythm and tempo.

Practice is a different animal. But, I don't try to picture my swing, I try to feel it. A good golfer can feel when they are out of position in the golf swing.

Great example...Nicklaus on 17 at Pebble in '72 Open. I felt out of position and re-routed on the way down. Pretty increbile to hit that shot with a 1-iron under those circumstances.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

A Chinese doctor was asked if swimming can help them lose weight....the Chinese doctor responded "please explain whale?".

I admit my homage to Warren Zevon May be a bit obscure but I have zero idea what this reply has to do with it.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

A Chinese doctor was asked if swimming can help them lose weight....the Chinese doctor responded "please explain whale?".

I admit my homage to Warren Zevon May be a bit obscure but I have zero idea what this reply has to do with it.

So a Chinese doctor is more obscure than a homage to Warren Zevon? I missed the Zevon's Meta Awareness golf book.

You can take Meta-Awareness too far. Early on I would play entire rounds of golf never letting the talker in and thus never judging or letting the ego take credit for anything. This was stress free, but it also was bland and I wasn't sure it I had fun or not. I enjoyed being outdoors more than the golf. Your senses are heightened when you're in the present.

So I'm developing something in the middle. Before the shot I still strategize on potential danger and outcomes, but during PSR I begin the process of being content with the outcome. By the time I start the swing I have got to a place where results are irrelevant. I'm in the now, past and future mean nothing. Here the subconscious will max out my current skill level. The place where I'm trying to advance my personal learning is the following:

**Only if I'm in the present can I recognize if a bad shot was technical or mental**

After each shot of swinging in the present a heightened sense of why things are happening the way they are starts to form. It excels learning.

This is so much different than the way people approach the game that I understand the resistance. But it works and in terms of golf learning, can be learned in a very short period of time.

So if you want to beat your chest and feed the ego, do it, but base it on how well you won the mental game. The good golf will be a result.

jbw749,

I think it is mostly thought that, the downswing must start with the lower body first. Whether that is achieved through a hip bump or even an upper body move to force the lower to move is another story. Can one stay in the present without thought and still achieve this lower body move without actively (self talk) commanding a body part to move? Thx Tanner

Swing thoughts like starting the swing from the ground up are ok for learning, but it's really important to not have an expectation that if you do it it will work. Because if you have a few shots where it doesn't you will start to doubt. If that happens learning mode is off. Think about how hard it would be to learn something in any other part of life if you doubted you could. If your trying a new move in the present there is no doubt or false sense that you've figured it all out.

If you start the swing from the ground up while in the present your SC can actually feel it and adjust.

Feel things without judging them. Learning mode will be on.

If you start striping it don't give yourself a false sense that you've now figured out golf. That sets up failure. Stay content, you'll learn what works and why.

Ideally after it's learned you should not think about it at all. The golf swing is a subconscious action. But some people can play pretty good or great (few relatively speaking) by talking to body parts and using complex swing thoughts hitting positions so they think that must be the right way, because Jordan Spieth can talk to himself all day and still play excellent. They're just aren't that many outstanding golfers and there's hardly any who picked it up later in life. I think lack of Meta-Awareness is the reason why.

Thanks, for the post. I am guilty of just giving up after a few swings. Heck, I know it takes me 6 months to get used to a new club. Yet for some reason, I expect an instant result when trying something new.

I play the piano fairly well....I can tell you that my mood resonates in my playing. If I'm distracted, I stink. So I end up clearing my mind by playing scales...the equivalent of reaffirming my golf "feel points" with my eyes closed. I sound like a nutball...but it's similar to meditation to clear the mind of negative thoughts.

I breathe through my eyelids like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands.

Is that you Nuke?

So a Chinese doctor is more obscure than a homage to Warren Zevon? I missed the Zevon's Meta Awareness golf book.

Yes. And easy on the smart a**,please.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

So here's what's going on at my house today...and it blends with golf learning. My wife has taken up the piano and today she played the Am scale. Here's what was interesting....she played the scale very slowly about 20 times. Then she tried to play faster but the brain/hand coordination failed. So I told her to stop and come back in 20 minutes. 20 minutes later she started again and she said "it feels slightly easier". Then I told her to practice for only 5 minutes...and come back after a 10 minute rest. She came back and played the scale the first time without bogging down...it was played fluidly. But here's another interesting aspect, she played went straight back to playing the scale after fluidly playing and screwed up. Then a 3rd time and screwed up. Then a 4th time and nailed it. Then the 5th time it was almost perfect.

The process is ebb and flow...some progress...then decline...more progress...decline, but less decline...but overall improvement is inevitable. If someone could adapt learning piano to golf I think they'd be millionaires overnight.

My mental game philosophy. "Enjoy every sand wedge". Thank you, excitable boy.

Yes. And easy on the smart a**,please.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Warren Zevon fan! I believe he was influenced by Bob Dylan among others.

https://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-just-found-a-previously-unknown-part-of-the-human-brain/

Thirty years ago, George Paxinos noticed an unusual assortment of cells lurking near the brain stem -- but he didn't think much of it.

Going over the region in 2018, he was once again struck by it. Now Paxinos' new research suggests that cluster of cells is definitely important. In fact, it appears to be a completely unknown region of the human brain. The early suggestion is that this bundle of neurons may be responsible for fine motor control, dictating our ability to strum the guitar, write and play sports.

Hmmmn.

https://www.cnet.com...he-human-brain/

Thirty years ago, George Paxinos noticed an unusual assortment of cells lurking near the brain stem -- but he didn't think much of it.

Going over the region in 2018, he was once again struck by it. Now Paxinos' new research suggests that cluster of cells is definitely important. In fact, it appears to be a completely unknown region of the human brain. The early suggestion is that this bundle of neurons may be responsible for fine motor control, dictating our ability to strum the guitar, write and play sports.

Hmmmn.

Interesting. Quick question: Do you think the tour pro's take steroids? Not the type to bulk-up....but those that promote strength? i'm starting to wonder.

Hmmmn.

Interesting. Quick question: Do you think the tour pro's take steroids? Not the type to bulk-up....but those that promote strength? i'm starting to wonder.

How about Beta Blockers? ?

Hmmmn.

How about Beta Blockers?

Don't know about Beta Blockers....does that calm the nerves?

I don't know about beta blockers or steroids, probably a few do HGH and such. I only posted article because in the read it states human brain is the only creature to have this group of neurons. Primates do not, nor do any other mammal. It's only 2mm in diameter. Found only 30 years ago but only now discoverer is answering what it might be. Yet, it's just an educated guess at this point. Highlights how in the dark we are, doesn't it?

While I don't always agree with Jim Waldron....I think he's onto something with meta-awareness. When I first saw the information, my immediate reaction was to disprove his idea. But after some thought, it kinda made sense. Now I don't claim to understand every aspect of meta-awareness, and maybe Jim can chime-in, but I've posted before that I see a "movie" in my head regarding how I want to swing.

OK...that may sound crazy...but it's true. When I setup to hit...I picture myself "watching" my swing like another player would do on the course. And as I've posted...i picture Fred Couple's swing in my mind...and I think "how would that swing look if I watched myself swing like Fred?". i'm NOT saying my swing is the same as his....just that my brain has an image that provides a sense of "fluidity" and "positions" I should be "in" as I swing.

Anyway, I know this post sounds nuts....and it may not coincide with Jim's concepts...but I thought I'd share my thoughts for comments...knowing I'll get many "are you smoking crack?" comments.

Hard to say for sure without speaking with you directly about what you are describing, but my first impression is that this is not meta-awareness.

I have read through all the posts in this thread and my overall impression is that there are a number of aspects of the mental game of golf that are being lumped together under the general heading of "meta-awareness".

Meta-awareness has a precise definition which is the ability of the mind to observe itself. (think 10% of your mind observes what the other 90% is doing). Which is a distinguishing characteristic from "normal" awareness or NA. For most of my student's, understanding the nature of normal awareness is an important first step before they tackle meta-awareness or MA.

There are several exercises that I use to help students understand the clear differences between the two states, which are impossible to convey clearly in the written word, so I won't do that here.

But some analogies are useful for helping folks gain a better understanding.

NA obviously has awareness, meaning you are not unconscious, you are aware of stuff happening in either your mind or your body or from the external world around you through your five senses. But there is a kind of vague, cloudy, aspect to NA. And in NA, your mind likes to wander and shift it''s attention very quickly from one perception or one thought or feel to the next one in a kind of haphazard of chaotic way.

Any one who has spent two minutes in mediation knows exactly what I am talking about.

Another aspect of NA is that the mind likes to spend a lot of time in the past, ie accessing memories, or in the future, ie fantasizing about what you would like to happen. NA mind hates being in the present moment, so it is always trying to escape from the present.

There is a long list of why that is so, which is pretty sophisticated stuff from a psychological and philosophical standpoint, but my point is when you start to learn mindfulness practice (which is to say MA practice) you quickly can see how your mind does this.

MA your mind is always functioning in the present, ie the MA part is aware that whatever you are perceiving or feeling or thinking is happening right now. In NA, your mind would experience the memory of the event almost AS IF the event itself was happening right now, ie the NA mind can easily deceive itself, ie it can "get lost" in the memory. Happens all the time to folks when they "daydream". Of course from the MA standpoint, you clearly understand that the mind is simply accessing a memory of a past event. In NA it is very easy to conflate the memory of the event with the actual event.

So functionally NA is very much like dreaming while awake. Very easy to get lost in your thoughts, feelings, memories and fantasies and NOT be in touch with the present moment, what is happening right in front of your nose. In MA you are 100% present and awake. The difference in the clarity of awareness between MA and NA is huge. I use the analogy of a dirty car windshield that has not been cleaned in months as NA and when you clean it and can really see clearly as MA.

Because you are much more awake in MA, your ability to learn new skills - including golf mechanics! - is far superior to NA. Same with practicing much more effectively. Anyone has a much better ability to solve a problem when in MA than in NA precisely because you are able to see the true nature of the problem much better in MA. Einstein famously talked about every problem having the solution to it embedded in the problem if only you can see it.

MA starting point practice is to simply start paying attention, with "clear eyes" ie no bias. Look at the situation in front of you with an open mind.

For my golf students who wish to learn better body motion, we do an exercise that is part MA and part narrow focus, and the goal of the exercise is to help the student clearly understand the vital difference between thinking about your body during the swing and feeling your body directly without any intervening layer of thought.

Hard to say for sure without speaking with you directly about what you are describing, but my first impression is that this is not meta-awareness.

I have read through all the posts in this thread and my overall impression is that there are a number of aspects of the mental game of golf that are being lumped together under the general heading of "meta-awareness".

Meta-awareness has a precise definition which is the ability of the mind to observe itself. (think 10% of your mind observes what the other 90% is doing). Which is a distinguishing characteristic from "normal" awareness or NA. For most of my student's, understanding the nature of normal awareness is an important first step before they tackle meta-awareness or MA.

There are several exercises that I use to help students understand the clear differences between the two states, which are impossible to convey clearly in the written word, so I won't do that here.

NA obviously has awareness, meaning you are not unconscious, you are aware of stuff happening in either your mind or your body or from the external world around you through your five senses. But there is a kind of vague, cloudy, aspect to NA. And in NA, your mind likes to wander and shift it''s attention very quickly from one perception or one thought or feel to the next one in a kind of haphazard of chaotic way.

Any one who has spent two minutes in mediation knows exactly what I am talking about.

Another aspect of NA is that the mind likes to spend a lot of time in the past, ie accessing memories, or in the future, ie fantasizing about what you would like to happen. NA mind hates being in the present moment, so it is always trying to escape from the present.

There is a long list of why that is so, which is pretty sophisticated stuff from a psychological and philosophical standpoint, but my point is when you start to learn mindfulness practice (which is to say MA practice) you quickly can see how your mind does this.

MA your mind is always functioning in the present, ie the MA part is aware that whatever you are perceiving or feeling or thinking is happening right now. In NA, your mind would experience the memory of the event almost AS IF the event itself was happening right now, ie the NA mind can easily deceive itself, ie it can "get lost" in the memory. Happens all the time to folks when they "daydream". Of course from the MA standpoint, you clearly understand that the mind is simply accessing a memory of a past event. In NA it is very easy to conflate the memory of the event with the actual event.

So functionally NA is very much like dreaming while awake. Very easy to get lost in your thoughts, feelings, memories and fantasies and NOT be in touch with the present moment, what is happening right in front of your nose. In MA you are 100% present and awake. The difference in the clarity of awareness between MA and NA is huge. I use the analogy of a dirty car windshield that has not been cleaned in months as NA and when you clean it and can really see clearly as MA.

Because you are much more awake in MA, your ability to learn new skills - including golf mechanics! - is far superior to NA. Same with practicing much more effectively. Anyone has a much better ability to solve a problem when in MA than in NA precisely because you are able to see the true nature of the problem much better in MA. Einstein famously talked about every problem having the solution to it embedded in the problem if only you can see it.

MA starting point practice is to simply start paying attention, with "clear eyes" ie no bias. Look at the situation in front of you with an open mind.

For my golf students who wish to learn better body motion, we do an exercise that is part MA and part narrow focus, and the goal of the exercise is to help the student clearly understand the vital difference between thinking about your body during the swing and feeling your body directly without any intervening layer of thought.

Well done Jim! So basically if I've got this correct....when I step up to a shot on the course, my brain will naturally start to think what "might" happen (future) and what happened the last time (past), while MA "eliminates" both and focuses on the present. Maybe that explains why I see guys slice a ball out of nowhere on "the hole" that they say "they always slice on this hole"....meaning their mental focus is on the past and not the present. Basically, their thoughts set them up for failure, or introduces bias you stated.

And for learning, in my experience people are often open to swing adjustments, but 10 minutes after they've accomplished new adjustments, they're right back to the same old swing. It's almost like there's a "comfort level" in the old swing despite all of it's flaws.

Well done Jim! So basically if I've got this correct....when I step up to a shot on the course, my brain will naturally start to think what "might" happen (future) and what happened the last time (past), while MA "eliminates" both and focuses on the present. Maybe that explains why I see guys slice a ball out of nowhere on "the hole" that they say "they always slice on this hole"....meaning their mental focus is on the past and not the present. Basically, their thoughts set them up for failure, or introduces bias you stated.

And for learning, in my experience people are often open to swing adjustments, but 10 minutes after they've accomplished new adjustments, they're right back to the same old swing. It's almost like there's a "comfort level" in the old swing despite all of it's flaws.

NA mind likes the known, hates and fears the unknown, sees new info as a "threat"....and I am not kidding.

If you really wish to learn anything new, you have to "empty your mind" like in the old Zen saying. Approach your new teacher with an open mind and pay attention.

In NA, golfers can spend a lifetime re-inventing the wheel (hence the rise of the Swing Fetish movement on the Internet) and never confront the real issue which is lack of awareness of what their body and club are actually doing. That is the starting point for learning any skill involving learning new movement patterns. It is the reason why some golfers progress very rapidly and others stay stuck at the same level (not the only reason obviously but in my 25 years teaching experience the most important one). Some golfers have a natural gift for MA and for a narrow focus and good feel awareness for their body, and others their mind is in chaos in NA, have a wandering mind and cannot feel their body.

I agree. In simplistic terms, I notice that I seem to have "2 swings". Swing #1 is the "historical swing". Swing #2 is the "new swing". But my brain really wants to fight Swing #2. It's so obvious I even laugh at myself now on the course. And even more interesting...the more I elect to use Swing #2, the "harder" Swing #1 fights to regain control I see this now.