2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tweener

I think I'm at that point... when you know you are just never going to hit that ball like you used to. Like... well... I'm too young to be a senior, too old to hang with the boys. I'm a tweeter.

I got a real dose of it this last year. I was never grade A long, anything remarkable. I just tried hard, loved the game, could do my share of good things from time to time.

This last year was a return to golf after a long layover. I started out whacking it daily for about a week and so shattered my fingers I had to stop a few weeks, icing my hands and swapping out my old steel shafted irons for a set of hurriedly snapped up eBay Callaway CBs with graphite shafts. It wasn't long before I start d to swing better and the shafts were snapping as I have a steep, hard downswing. I made an a** out of myself most of the season working my way back to a semi-consistent mid-80s or better game.

We have a local men's club I played in it and was okay. Toward the end I played with a 16-year old who smashed it so far I was meeker than meek! I realized just how old I am.

Last week I had played three days straight. I could barely play the last round and had to skip two holes to get done before dark. I can barely move, and during R3 played the front nine with a 20-something who wholloped his 5I 240 uphill in 37'F over the green in a 5-par. We had cheated that tee box and played forward. I hit a decent drive and 3W and was 10 yds short.

I am old. I'm not as old as many I know that but I'm now realizing my denial and the fact that WITB is more my ego than my brain.

I wonder if this is whining or just accepting reality? I don't see anyone here talking about this so figured I'd just address it because someone else must feel like this too.

It's not so bad. Like anything we adjust. I was reading some equipment threads with guys in this section showing their 1-irons, talking about spec'ing their irons... just another chapter.

I see the 60+' how far do you hit it' thread but what about us tweeners in our 50s?

I used to hit my 5I 200. Now, 170-180. That's carry no wind maybe 70'F.

The last week I think I was hitting some uphill shorts more like 160! I felt like I really lost 10-15 maybe even 20 yards!

There isn't that sense I can really hammer it anymore. I can do a real reverse C, or rotate well or work the left side with my knee. It's all a bit jerky now. Sawed off. Not nearly as nice looking as the King, ever!

I don't know about getting fitted to figure out the shaft/club situation, but know my sticks are wrong for me. The shafts are supposedly strong, they do not feel boardy yet I'm sure my speed is <100mph. Problem is I hit, I don't swing, so can shut the face with a soft shaft.

Is anyone else in age/swing purgatory? I'd love to hear how all here cope with transitioning as you age. Thx.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my 2c but I would say your iron shafts are too stiff. Those Recoil proto's in F5 are probably some of the more boardy graphites made. Most likely not a good match for your "tweener" swing speed, especially since you seem to be losing distance with them. Not saying you should drop down to a senior flex but you may want to experiment with a flex or two less.

I have been reading (here in this section) about shafts and how they are all over the place. Seems like they were like that all of my life, weight sorted or the step patterns of old were no worse. I have a top club fitter right across the street from my house. He's so in demand I don't even want to bother him, and I don't even think he plays. Lambos and Ferraris parked there daily in season, but then he's getting paid to sell clubs, as the shafts that say X on them might really be R.

I had S shafted Callaways and got these 716s to lower my trajectory and tighten my dispersion. Both occurred and I get around on them, but know my 'future' is something low tongue, high kick, but softer. My scores go south as a result of inconsistent ball striking, negative thoughts that can creep into my head, etc. I'm a good course manager but just lack real talent. For my limit e dexterity and athleticism, I am okay for only a year back into it.

But the fact remains age is taking its toll and I'm unable to see what a ball does in a hitting bay, and with so many shafts and heads and clubs it is just a bit of a guessing game, and I suppose that is a part of the fun, right?

I feel I have to respond to this thread. It's not too far off my own story. :)

First off, I'll mention I've just turned 55 years old, last October. I'm a former baseball and softball player with a bit of power and decent hand-eye coordination. Oh, with short arms, too. Not quite a human T-Rex, but in that direction more than I'd care for.

Now with preamble out of the way... started relatively late, at age 35. Found out I could hit the ball farther than a lot of folks, 200+ 5 irons, all that stuff. As recently as four years ago, I could still easily play DGX or SuperPeeningBlue X. However, in the last couple years, the distance has been dropping, I find myself hitting my 52* wedge about 110 max, all that stuff.

I've made the move to playing DGS instead of DGX, don't take my Super Peening Blue set out much anymore, and even reshafted a set of Golden Rams with NV105 graphite (in stiff, fwiw). Have another set of graphites, RIP Tour 115, lying in wait for me to actually make a decision on which set I should install them in. I find I can play Xstiff, but my tempo is smoother than it once was, and with the slightly lower swingspeed, they're not quite necessary as they once may have been.

On the driver side, I've been looking more towards the slightly softer drivers I've acquired over the years, that wouldn't quite pass muster 5-10 years ago. I've also decided to quit chasing distance with the newest stuff, instead goofing around with things like the SLDR or the R9 SuperDeep (the SuperDeep is a lot of fun).

Or, messing with DGS shafted Ram persimmons, LOL. I had previously found Dynamic X shafted persimmon driver and 3w, but they now rest in the golf club room with other sticks. ;) Who knows, weight lifting might keep me able to hit them.

A last comment... if you're able to hit Xstiff OK, I wouldn't worry about it, even if you're unable to hit a 5i 200 yds anymore. Someone with a shorter swing and a hitter tempo can very easily need something as stiff as DGX. Even if that person hits their 5i less than 150; that harder transition makes the stiffer shaft necessary. If you're still playing with the hitter swing, I'd be inclined to think you're OK with what you've got.

Except for it being Titleist, that is. Evil!! (LOL)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I feel I have to respond to this thread. It's not too far off my own story. :)

First off, I'll mention I've just turned 55 years old, last October. I'm a former baseball and softball player with a bit of power and decent hand-eye coordination. Oh, with short arms, too. Not quite a human T-Rex, but in that direction more than I'd care for.

God... I knew stepping up and putting myself out there here on this forum would be a good thing. I know I'm not alone, but it sure is nice to hear from you.

However, in the last couple years, the distance has been dropping, I find myself hitting my 52* wedge about 110 max, all that stuff.

I'm hitting mine 100 on the dime. I could haul off on it but have the four wedges for a reason :-) I also got them on the Bay and am pretty sure they were stiff, maybe x, as I pay attention while buying, but tend to forget later (why I don't have shaft info in the sig.... I ought to look back at my purchase history and see if the original descriptions are still there...)

I've made the move to playing DGS instead of DGX, don't take my Super Peening Blue set out much anymore, and even reshafted a set of Golden Rams with NV105 graphite (in stiff, fwiw). Have another set of graphites, RIP Tour 115, lying in wait for me to actually make a decision on which set I should install them in. I find I can play Xstiff, but my tempo is smoother than it once was, and with the slightly lower swingspeed, they're not quite necessary as they once may have been.

Interesting. I really am thankful you are sharing your shaft journey. Very useful and handy info for sure. I have these Recoil protos and they are nothing even remotely close to DGX. (Nice abbreviation, took me a minute BTW :-) I am trying to change my backswing and transition. Pausing at top is hard for me but am working on it, as well as hitting 1/2-3/4 drivers at range. Problem is you get into trouble in real time on the course sometimes, confusing which swing to make, etc.

I've also decided to quit chasing distance with the newest stuff, instead goofing around with things like the SLDR or the R9 SuperDeep (the SuperDeep is a lot of fun).

My driver is an older one. A pro on Maui gave it to me at my old club there. I just figured out how to hit it. I think I had a generation older of same one before that. I'm able to get it working but am inconsistent with it. I bought a used D2 or D3 Titlest (need to check my basement) the head was huge and the shaft, S, was so whiny I was shutting face and darting hard left, fanning right, or just hitting straight, high shots that went 30-40 yards shorter than the old one. Binned the thing.

Or, messing with DGS shafted Ram persimmons, LOL. I had previously found Dynamic X shafted persimmon driver and 3w, but they now rest in the golf club room with other sticks. ;) Who knows, weight lifting might keep me able to hit them.

I tried reshafting old persmimmons ages ago. Whipping and finishing skills were/are terrible (of courses little more practice wouldn't hurt...). I have George Bayer persimmons. Those were what I broke out of the basement last spring when I took the game back up. Those and some old Staffs. I can hit them well but the driver carries maybe 210-220 (more if I wail at them or in optimal conditions, but honestly, that's what I probably am carrying in the air), when soggy it's depressing. Soft steel shafts. No labels so figure they are Rs. Can hit them but your Xed Rams probably can handle more power you have.

If you're still playing with the hitter swing, I'd be inclined to think you're OK with what you've got.

Except for it being Titleist, that is. Evil!! (LOL)

It's a quandary: I think the hitter swing needs to go, for a lot of reasons, like maybe as we age we mellow, are able to calm ourselves down, less afraid of the backswing, or the downswing, the OB right, bc we know its inevitable we will fid trouble and are okay with letting go, so we can trust our swings more.

The autumns of our lives are good years in that respect. It's all relative and we had our youths. Adapting like in bad weather or with a bad stroke or head is just part of the game, eight?

I'm going to teach myself to smoothen the swing so it has better timing and transition, per the above advice on technique. I will never completely eradicate fear. I am just a bloody coward in some ways, compared to many here I'm sure, but confidence comes from hard work too. Like public speaking which would turn me white!

I'm not crazy about the Titlest head for my own eye. I play with them because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone in the set-up department, needs blades with good graphite shafts' and these I got dirt cheap, for what they are. Ive had Mizzys (is that the right abbreviation) and they are beautiful but always seemed harsher than my super old Staffs on mishits. The Titleist seemed sensible as they are popular, so I figured I could use them and sell later, if I wanted to. I may master resifting my old Staffs, play with reshafting them to learn what is best, but the grooves on this oldies go and I don't now if a groove tool will do them much good, or if the rules hawks in our club will be on my $%^& for having them all sharpened, and likely deeper than legal, but probably nobody cares (another perk that comes with age :-).

I see my post is a bit screwed up with the quotes. sorry.

I've admitted to myself Father Time is slowly winning.

We now play the 'white' tees (6400 yards) when it's below 80 degrees, over 80 we go back to the 'blue' tees (6800 yards).

I also have changed my bag setup a bit, as I can't hit the ball as far as I used to. Lost a fairway wood, added a hybrid and 3rd wedge.

If you have F5 Recoils, try some F4s (I play those) or even F3. Once you get past the label on the shaft, you might find something that works better for you.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I've admitted to myself Father Time is slowly winning. If you have F5 Recoils, try some F4s (I play those) or even F3. Once you get past the label on the shaft, you might find something that works better for you.

Ya. You are right about that. Our bodies can't take the hammering. I play with a lot of seniors. Like I'm in some kind of detail. I just need to see picture of myself, white hair, soft (and I exercise a lot) middle.... I use the labels as a guide, mostly, but do any of us really want to look the coffin in the face, any more than we have to? I never had the 'game' for the clubs I have in my bag, but have strange qualities: strong in some ways, not in others. When I was younger, a kid, people always moved in on me when I was at bat. Over their heads it went (when I got out of my own sheepish way).

Not so much anymore. I just saw my scores drop when i gave up yanking and/or snapping left and leaving face open right. I just looked the the label of a driver I bought, and tried to modernize with. It was an x stiff shaft but I have to say when waggling it was whippy. I bought on ebay to save $ so had to risk erring on the shaft on the stiff side for control. It was awful and not something that was even close to the label. You are right about ignoring them. Probably online shopping is an opportunity cost we wind up paying more for in the long run. (I looked it up: itleist 910 D3 9.5° Driver Diamana ahina 82 Graphite Low-mid Flex-x... what a pice of crap, for me anyway. It has a tool, and a changeable shaft, so maybe one day I'll try others in it, but the label is hogwash.

Lost a fairway wood, added a hybrid and 3rd wedge.

Do you have a 4w and 7w? I used to love my Strata-Block Staff 4-wood. It was aluminum shaft, whippy, probably terrible torque, but I hit more par 5s in two with that, and it was great out of the hay. Broke it somehow and never could get that back. I can't seem to find a hybrid I can succeed with. I see you mentioning a hybrid and your sig has a 4/7 w so am curious as I think I will heed your advice and try the F4 label (ha ha) in my Staffs. Need something better than my present 3w. It's not so good....

I use a 4 wood, have a homemade Heavenwood, Razr Fit Xtreme 7 wood head on a 4 wood length shaft (it's in the 'warehouse' known as my office closet), but went with hybrids.

I'll update my signature as bag has changed a bit.

3 wood not as forgiving off the deck as a 4 wood, so I went with that.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I'm not crazy about the Titlest head for my own eye. I play with them because I wanted to force myself out of my comfort zone in the set-up department, needs blades with good graphite shafts' and these I got dirt cheap, for what they are. Ive had Mizzys (is that the right abbreviation) and they are beautiful but always seemed harsher than my super old Staffs on mishits. The Titleist seemed sensible as they are popular, so I figured I could use them and sell later, if I wanted to. I may master resifting my old Staffs, play with reshafting them to learn what is best, but the grooves on this oldies go and I don't now if a groove tool will do them much good, or if the rules hawks in our club will be on my $%^& for having them all sharpened, and likely deeper than legal, but probably nobody cares (another perk that comes with age :-).

I see my post is a bit screwed up with the quotes. sorry.

There are a lot of older Wilson Staff sets on ebay, some for incredibly reasonable prices. Or, MacGregor irons, Powerbilts, older Mizunos, the odd Ram set here and there...

You could probably scrounge up something usable for less than the cost of a reshaft. Though, regrouping might mitigate that a bit. It's a slippery slope, though. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

We now play the 'white' tees (6400 yards) when it's below 80 degrees, over 80 we go back to the 'blue' tees (6800 yards).

I also have changed my bag setup a bit, as I can't hit the ball as far as I used to. Lost a fairway wood, added a hybrid and 3rd wedge.

If you have F5 Recoils, try some F4s (I play those) or even F3. Once you get past the label on the shaft, you might find something that works better for you.

The truth is, Father Time has a 100% winning record.

He's good at what he does.

No, he doesn't.

No, he isn't.

Signed : Peter Pan

No, he doesn't.

No, he isn't.

Signed : Peter Pan

Angus, JM Barrie's birthplace, decided to build a new airport and give it a Peter Pan-themed name.

However, the project was a disaster as no airline flew into it.

I guess that's what you get for calling it Neverland Airport.

/mangled old joke

Good grief. I can see why there are folks here with 20000 posts... this thing is addicting.

Getting long in the tooth but can’t help myself. (Like when I’m driving to play and am within two miles of a mat, or a tee (behind the wheel)... I have to watch myself, as I start to ride up everybody’s arses. Then I’ll hit a traffic light... ok... uh huh... ya.. waiting...finally we move, and then again: brakes. I’m right on their tails again. Cmon you idiot, hurry! When I pull in I don’t know if my palms (or feet) are sweating but I look left and right and use the brakes even more. Don't wanna kill anybody...would delay the game! Just chomping at the bit and can’t help myself.... Got to get out there. Time is running out. The sun is moving fast. The bag mites are flocking! Good grief my life will be in ruins! Then I am told what a moron I am (it’s in their eyes) for not booking a tee time. I’m a single fer Chrissakes! 'Theres no room for losers like you... wait.' (Jerk.) relegated To the putting green. Fingers are dripping now. Back hurts. Painful this wait.... Alas, I’m called to the tee. The odd man out. Ugh. Just me and the ball. Look down the fairway all determined, my best Hogan stiff upper lip impression... Then... I shovel it in front of everybody... but I still love it.

Peter Pan: My kinda guy.... (A Scotsman came up with him so how bad can the little fella be?)

This whole website seems like it is full of Peter Pans... God Bless us all. Now, could ya pass me that cane please....?

Good grief. I can see why there are folks here with 20000 posts... this thing is addicting.

Getting long in the tooth but can't help myself. (Like when I'm driving to play and am within two miles of a mat, or a tee (behind the wheel)... I have to watch myself, as I start to ride up everybody's arses. Then I'll hit a traffic light... ok... uh huh... ya.. waiting...finally we move, and then again: brakes. I'm right on their tails again. Cmon you idiot, hurry! When I pull in I don't know if my palms (or feet) are sweating but I look left and right and use the brakes even more. Don't wanna kill anybody...would delay the game! Just chomping at the bit and can't help myself.... Got to get out there. Time is running out. The sun is moving fast. The bag mites are flocking! Good grief my life will be in ruins! Then I am told what a moron I am (it's in their eyes) for not booking a tee time. I'm a single fer Chrissakes! 'Theres no room for losers like you... wait.' (Jerk.) relegated To the putting green. Fingers are dripping now. Back hurts. Painful this wait.... Alas, I'm called to the tee. The odd man out. Ugh. Just me and the ball. Look down the fairway all determined, my best Hogan stiff upper lip impression... Then... I shovel it in front of everybody... but I still love it.

Peter Pan: My kinda guy.... (A Scotsman came up with him so how bad can the little fella be?)

This whole website seems like it is full of Peter Pans... God Bless us all. Now, could ya pass me that cane please....?

Welcome to the board - getcher self a bag or 2 of cheetos, some Diet Coke (or an adult beverage) and start down the rabbit hole of WRX

Getting long in the tooth but can't help myself. (Like when I'm driving to play and am within two miles of a mat, or a tee (behind the wheel)... I have to watch myself, as I start to ride up everybody's arses. Then I'll hit a traffic light... ok... uh huh... ya.. waiting...finally we move, and then again: brakes. I'm right on their tails again. Cmon you idiot, hurry! When I pull in I don't know if my palms (or feet) are sweating but I look left and right and use the brakes even more. Don't wanna kill anybody...would delay the game! Just chomping at the bit and can't help myself.... Got to get out there. Time is running out. The sun is moving fast. The bag mites are flocking! Good grief my life will be in ruins! Then I am told what a moron I am (it's in their eyes) for not booking a tee time. I'm a single fer Chrissakes! 'Theres no room for losers like you... wait.' (Jerk.) relegated To the putting green. Fingers are dripping now. Back hurts. Painful this wait.... Alas, I'm called to the tee. The odd man out. Ugh. Just me and the ball. Look down the fairway all determined, my best Hogan stiff upper lip impression... Then... I shovel it in front of everybody... but I still love it.

Welcome to the board - getcher self a bag or 2 of cheetos, some Diet Coke (or an adult beverage) and start down the rabbit hole of WRX

There's a cabinet near my usual spot with bourbon and bitters. for the weekends. just being a WRXer.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry