Betting

kohtp

I wonder why friend "STEAL" money from friend during golfing. . I see many incidents friendship is damaged because of gambling.

Why there are so many sucker keep on losing money which i believe the money can be well spent on good golf lesson?

Golfing for 4 hours is supposed to be stress-free and joyful. To me a round of beer or food is OK but not few hundred or thousand dollar. Do you agree?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I have played for large amounts in my career mostly its just dollar dollar or a five dollar low round these days.

Once the bet is made it never enters my mind again until I am done.

But just trying to shoot a low round stresses me. I mean I very seldom can just play a round of golf.

If I shoot eighty I want too shoot 79 If I shoot 69 I want too shoot 67

Now I have been doing this for 44 years I should relax when I play but I cant . Not that the pressure bothers me but I have to grind .

Today I shot 73 on a new course good track.

kenk7us2002

SG hcp 2.2 chart

view scores

view statistics

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Out 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 In Tot

367 410 181 484 396 326 495 144 356 3159 352 524 367 175 383 153 320 406 512 3192 6351

9 1 15 11 3 13 5 17 7 12 2 8 16 6 18 14 4 10

4 4 3 5 4 4 5 3 4 36 4 5 4 3 4 3 4 4 5 36 72

5 4 3 4 4 4 5 3 4 36 4 5 3 3 4 3 4 5 6 37 73

Now as you notice I bogeyed the last two holes. 17 has to be the hardest par four I have ever played, great hole .

But the bogey on eighteen was a three putt from about 25 feet . I left the first putt down hill about eight feet short.

Well I was in grind mode and spent my complete routine working this putt over and lining it up before I missed it.

My playing partner asked me why I cared so much , in my mind he just does not understand the passion of the game.

As far as loosing friends gambling, first I seldom asked for a bet. Second I hardly ever gamble. That means if I do not expect to win you do not get a bet. (team bets are and exception to this rule) but seriously if I think you can beat my old butt no bet.

To the point some people are more into the gambling than they are the golf.

For me the golf comes first .

then the gambling is never a problem.

Game at the club we play adds up fast - $3 swings with 6 people (2 3-ways) + $1 birdies & $1 skins. I've seen $150 change hands without much trouble based on one good round of 6 people. That to me is a lot of little gambling, which is not the same as "Here's $500 on Billy to shoot the low round today."

Bad gambling I see these days happens with kids who think their 75 means something. Lots of college and high school kids have plenty of parental financing to waste away... Everything else, well, no one I know plays for a thousand dollars and if you shoot 85 in a 3-way swing with me, well, you've earned your $150 loss for my time watching you chop it up.

I'm one of those people that thinks the Skins Game should cost PGA player's their own money, have 25 guys in it, and have them all pay out on the 18th green, live, on national tv. Gambling is the "G" in PGA.

Kenk is right...if you can't win, don't bet. It isn't stealing, it's wealth management.

If you cant pay the piper, then dont play the tune. Unless you play as a onesome. And are standing in the middle of the fairway and are going to play a 40 yard draw to the green just to see if you can do it. Or take 3 clubs less and choke down and hit it quail high and bounce it on. Then playing with 3 other guys just to be playing is kinda boring. If its not in a tournament, where you stomach rolls, your hands shake on a 4 ft putt, or you are so pumped up that you have to take two clubs less on every approach shot. Well gambling makes it fun. And yes I will play someone that I know can beat you. But make the game, so that you have a chance on winning. Make it so that the person that is better has to try also to beat you. Make it competitive for them too. And if someone wont do that, and its my tee time. Then they can just go find someone else to play with. For years until one of them died. I played golf with two brothers and their best friend from high school. Three of us could shoot in the 70's. The oldest brother had trouble breaking 90, we always gave him a stroke a hole. No matter what game that we played and even plus the fact that the other 3 of us could not consistently shoot par golf. If you know that you dont have a snowballs chance in hell of beating the other guy, without a proper match negotiated by handicaps. Then dont play. If you choke, then its your problem. If you get mad over it and make unfriendly overtures toward a friend/ie ..... golfing buddy. Then it goes back to "if you cant pay the piper, then dont play the tune".

A friend of mine who played on the Nike Tour and now works in T.V. (Golf), played a match one day with the head pro and one of the asst. We were all pretty good friends. Both were pretty good players but on that day it got out of hand. We played a game called Vegas, and needless to say my friend and shot 65 and 66, and one 18 tee box we were up 400+ points each. We were at $1 a point, well we both birdie 18 and ended up close to 500 points. We walked into the grill and said you guys buy dinner and lot's of drinks. Otherwise, it would have been ulgy. I was just one of those days, lot's of good for us and lot's of bad for them.

Game at the club we play adds up fast - $3 swings with 6 people (2 3-ways) + $1 birdies & $1 skins. I've seen $150 change hands without much trouble based on one good round of 6 people. That to me is a lot of little gambling, which is not the same as "Here's $500 on Billy to shoot the low round today."

Bad gambling I see these days happens with kids who think their 75 means something. Lots of college and high school kids have plenty of parental financing to waste away... Everything else, well, no one I know plays for a thousand dollars and if you shoot 85 in a 3-way swing with me, well, you've earned your $150 loss for my time watching you chop it up.

I'm one of those people that thinks the Skins Game should cost PGA player's their own money, have 25 guys in it, and have them all pay out on the 18th green, live, on national tv. Gambling is the "G" in PGA.

Kenk is right...if you can't win, don't bet. It isn't stealing, it's wealth management.

:clapping: