2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Heading To The Home of Golf

Noley

St. Andrews Old & New.
Ok Guys,

Here's the deal. Next Wednesday 3 of my work buddies and I are heading over to St. Andrews to play in a corporate sponsored golf event :clapping: . On the Thursday we get to play the new course (which I believe is over a century old) and then on the Friday it's the main event, teeing it up on the old course. I can't wait as for me this is a lifelong golfing ambition.

So here's my question, have any of my fellow WRXers ever played there? If so has anybody got any good stories to share? Can anybody suggest anything I should do while there (other that enjoy the two magnificent courses) and are there any tips you can give me or unusual traditions I need to know about?

Thanks,

Noley

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i played the main others - new, eden and jubilee, but not the old. the eden is quite easy, and the jubilee is the best out of the 3 IMO. the feeling of the place is unbelievable, i mean to see people walking down the street with a golf bag is really strange. also check out the 'best' golf shop in the world (long, strange name) and it is genuinely REALLY good.

anyways, have a great time

Ok Guys,

Here's the deal. Next Wednesday 3 of my work buddies and I are heading over to St. Andrews to play in a corporate sponsored golf event :clapping: . On the Thursday we get to play the new course (which I believe is over a century old) and then on the Friday it's the main event, teeing it up on the old course. I can't wait as for me this is a lifelong golfing ambition.

So here's my question, have any of my fellow WRXers ever played there? If so has anybody got any good stories to share? Can anybody suggest anything I should do while there (other that enjoy the two magnificent courses) and are there any tips you can give me or unusual traditions I need to know about?

Thanks,

Noley

Played them both, the New is harder IMO. When u played the old and not sure of the line just pick a line where the fairway might be and smack it 25 yards left of that and ul be fine, makes it bit tougher but ul never lose a ball.

Dont bail out on the tee shot on 17 u gotta take the tight line, its only right u do so.

The dunvegan is a good place to drink, golf memoribilia everywhere, it across from aucherlonies golf shop, it will prolly be busy too.

only story short story is gettin to be up on the R&A Clubhouse Balcony few times to watch over the 1st and !8th, dont think many get the opportunity to do so, thats good to watch the games come in from up there.

I agree that the New is more difficult, but it's all going to depend on the weather. It's possible to score pretty well round the Old if its not too windy and you're putting (particularly approach putting) well.

Give yourself ample time to savour the delights of the practice putting green, the Himalayas, and enjoy your outing.

i played the main others - new, eden and jubilee, but not the old. the eden is quite easy, and the jubilee is the best out of the 3 IMO. the feeling of the place is unbelievable, i mean to see people walking down the street with a golf bag is really strange. also check out the 'best' golf shop in the world (long, strange name) and it is genuinely REALLY good.

I agree that the New is more difficult, but it's all going to depend on the weather. It's possible to score pretty well round the Old if its not too windy and you're putting (particularly approach putting) well.

Give yourself ample time to savour the delights of the practice putting green, the Himalayas, and enjoy your outing.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm like a kid at Xmas now, just cant wait. I'll post an update when I get back if any one's interested.

Ok Guys,

Thanks,

Noley

Played them both, the New is harder IMO. When u played the old and not sure of the line just pick a line where the fairway might be and smack it 25 yards left of that and ul be fine, makes it bit tougher but ul never lose a ball.

Dont bail out on the tee shot on 17 u gotta take the tight line, its only right u do so.

The dunvegan is a good place to drink, golf memoribilia everywhere, it across from aucherlonies golf shop, it will prolly be busy too.

only story short story is gettin to be up on the R&A Clubhouse Balcony few times to watch over the 1st and !8th, dont think many get the opportunity to do so, thats good to watch the games come in from up there.

Thanks for the advice, always good to know a nice local watering hole!

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm like a kid at Xmas now, just cant wait. I'll post an update when I get back if any one's interested.

Yes please want to try and play the old course some time next year if possible.

ENJOY

aye let us kno what u think, its funny ive been lucky enough to play in several states in the US including US major/ upcoming Ryder Cup venue, spain, south africa, most of UK and id still rather go 50 miles up the road to St Andrews, just something bout the place.....ul prolly find out what i mean when u spend time there.

I played them .... Get a caddy they have great stories to tell and really help out. When I played to Old course it was right before the last open they had there so the conditions were nuts, they had the grand stands up, so it added effect. The things I remember most was teeing off, the road hole, the Swilcan bridge, and the greens were lightning fast.

The area was just beautiful and you wont be dissappionted in that. The Best course out of my vacation was Kingsbarns, it is one of the courses they play the dunhill on. Best Links and clubhouse it had the best food and drinks out of my whole trip and caddie was really cool.

aye let us kno what u think, its funny ive been lucky enough to play in several states in the US including US major/ upcoming Ryder Cup venue, spain, south africa, most of UK and id still rather go 50 miles up the road to St Andrews, just something bout the place.....ul prolly find out what i mean when u spend time there.

I think I get a sense of what you mean already. I was there once before, about 10 years ago but unfortunately did not get to play any golf!

I played them .... Get a caddy they have great stories to tell and really help out. When I played to Old course it was right before the last open they had there so the conditions were nuts, they had the grand stands up, so it added effect. The things I remember most was teeing off, the road hole, the Swilcan bridge, and the greens were lightning fast.

The area was just beautiful and you wont be dissappionted in that. The Best course out of my vacation was Kingsbarns, it is one of the courses they play the dunhill on. Best Links and clubhouse it had the best food and drinks out of my whole trip and caddie was really cool.

Thanks, I think a caddy is going to be essential, as well as good fun. One of my buddies is an 18 handicapper and a decent player when he gets going, hits it a mile right through the bag. However he gets really nervous when there's anybody he doesn't know watching him & can be completely wild with any club. Cant wait to see what the old Scottish caddies make of him :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys I'm back. Travelled over on the Wednesday night, played the Old Course on Thursday morning and the Jubilee Course on Friday morning. Caddies were brilliant and had great stories to tell, drank enough malt whisky to drown a battleship. If anybody is interested or wants any questions answered just post below and I'll be more than happy to answer anything I can.

St. Andrews is amazing. I was there for two weeks last summer. Paradise for a golf junkie! I played the Old, New, Jubilee, and Balgove. They are all fun to play especially the Balgove since its a par 3 course and cheap. The Old you can miss it left, the New you can miss right, but the Jubilee you have to be on your game off the tee which makes it the hardest course there IMO. The town eats, sleeps, and breathes golf. The caddies are awesome and as a one-some I was able to get out most anywhere very quick, even the Old. Definitely a must make trip for every golfer.

JUST GOT BACK FROM 5 DAYS AT STANDREWS- PLAYED JUBILLEE IN THE FOG - GOT IT ROUND IN 2 OVER SOME HOW. THE BEST GREENS I HAVE EVER BEEN ON IN OCTOBER. THE GREENKEEPER WAS USING THE TURF IRON AS WE WERE GOING ROUND. THE BEST TURF AND GREENS BY A MILE ANYWHERE I HAVE PLAYED. STRATHTYRUM WAS ALSO A GOOD WALK- HAD THE MRS IN TOW THAT DAY, SHE LOVED IT SHOT AROUND THE TON FOR 18. WIDE FAIRWAYS AND LITTLE ROUGH. GOOD VALUE ALSO. LUNDIN LINKS ABOUT 10 MILES ROUND THE COAST IS ANOTHER DOUSY TO GO PLAY. GREAT PLACE, GREAT GOLF, :D