ASK QUESTIONS: OnCore Golf Live R&D Chat! Thursday, July 18th - 1pm ET / 10am PT

68r0y0jfhdfx.jpg

There are a lot of golf balls out in the market and choosing is harder than ever. OnCore is here to help by answering any question you have about OnCore golf balls in their Live R&D Chat! Join us on Thursday, July 18th at 1pm ET / 10am PT and get into the gritty, golf ball details of everything OnCore. So get your questions in now and we will see you at the chat!

**WHEN**

Thursday, July 18th, 1pm ET (10am PT)

**WHERE**

This will be the live chat thread. Tune in here.

**GIVEAWAY**

If your question is answered, you'll be entered in a random giveaway for a dozen OnCore golf balls of your choice! 3 winners!

**ASK QUESTIONS NOW**

We know everyone can't necessarily join us live, so ask your question below today to be part of the chat and hopefully the giveaway

**GIVEAWAY WINNERS**

@DrewBallin

@sosob34

@GolfGrouch

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, thank you folks at OnCore for providing balls for testing. As one of the testers, I really loved the feel of the ball in the short game, but had on and off inconsistency with distance further from the green. My question is: Are there choices and compromises between long and short game performance that have to be made in design, and if so, how do you decide?

Thanks again for the opportunity to test, and for taking the time to answer questions!

> @Smitty1304 said:

> What compression is the Elixr & Avant55?

The Avant 55 is a 2 piece, soft surlyn cover, perimeter weighted 55 compression golf ball and the ELIXR is an 85 compression golf ball with perimeter weighting created by high density particles we put into the mantle layer giving it an extremely high velocity off the tee, really great control in the wind, accuracy and a soft feel and check up from the thick urethane cover.

> @DrewBallin said:

> I have hit only one Oncore ball, the MA 1.0

> Honestly it wasn't my go to ball. I'd like to give your equipment a try again but am reserved about it. I realize that is an older ball and tech has changed, but what can I expect out of your current line?

The MA-1.0 was very polarizing because of that stiff core that also created a loud sound. It was extremely accurate because there was literally no weight within the .9 inch diameter of the hollow metal core but was really only meant for slow swing speeds and golfers that had real accuracy issues. We actually discontinued that as we brought on some of the industry's best engineers. Our follow up products have had nearly all 5 star reviews and recognition from all sorts of big golf reviews and publications and players alike.

The Avant 55 is a 2 piece, soft surlyn cover, perimeter weighted 55 compression golf ball and the ELIXR is an 85 compression golf ball with perimeter weighting created by high density particles we put into the mantle layer giving it an extremely high velocity off the tee, really great control in the wind, accuracy and a soft feel and check up from the thick urethane cover. The ELIXR which is our tour ball has really been a huge catalyst for our growth and success!

> @TIM929 said:

> what is the difference between Elixr & Avant55 and who are they for?

The Avant 55 is a 2 piece, soft surlyn cover, perimeter weighted 55 compression golf ball that is best for swing speeds 90 and below and typically more intermediate golfers. The ELIXR is an 85 compression golf ball with perimeter weighting created by high density particles we put into the mantle layer giving it an extremely high velocity off the tee, really great control in the wind, accuracy and a soft feel and check up from the thick urethane cover. This is going to be for the more experienced player as it is our tour ball and will perform best with higher swing speeds and for golfers who need that spin around the greens and control.

> @PapaTortuga said:

> Why did you decide to go with the metal core for the Avant line? Thanks

There is no hollow core in the Avant or the ELIXR. That was in our first ball that we brought to market and the idea was to create true perimeter weighting which reduces side spin generated from mishits making it extremely accurate. The feel and distance wasn't there so we poured money into R&D to create best in class golf balls in the ELIXR and AVANT 55.

> @GolfGrouch said:

> What kind of metal is used in the ELIXR and what does it do?

The metal is proprietary but is designed to distribute more weight to the perimeter of the ball as it has a much higher density than the other ball components. This results in accuracy, favorable spin characteristics and increased distance!

> @DblEgl said:

> Thanks for taking our questions. What can we expect next from OnCore ? Hints ?

The next generation of the ELIXR, possibly more colors and finishes and....the GENiUS ball which we have been working on for over a year. We also have some exciting things happening that compliment our ball business that we will announce in the coming months. Oh and we will also have an expanded and improved apparel line in the coming months.

> @sosob34 said:

> Matte balls seem to be the thing at the moment, however, very few manufacturers have a urethane matte ball. What made you decide to give a matte ball a try? Are the spin characteristics similar between matte and regular urethane ball? Thanks.

We developed it in response to customer interest and lets be honest....they are pretty fun to play with on the course! All of our testing has showed no real affect on spin characteristics. I personally really enjoy the look and feel of the matte paired with the bright lime green we offer and typically play that myself.

> @azkaevolution said:

> First, thank you folks at OnCore for providing balls for testing. As one of the testers, I really loved the feel of the ball in the short game, but had on and off inconsistency with distance further from the green. My question is: Are there choices and compromises between long and short game performance that have to be made in design, and if so, how do you decide?

>

> Thanks again for the opportunity to test, and for taking the time to answer questions!

There are definitely design choices that have to be made when considering the long game, short game, and putting. We've tried to achieve an optimal balance of performance across all aspects. You can imagine that a really high compression ball that flies further off the tee might not have the right feel for the short game or putting. Velocity is dictated by different factors at high and lower club head speeds so making sure that the irons deliver good distance without compressing the ball the way a driver does is important. We use core diameter, mantle stiffness, and cover chemistry to at least try to deliver great performance across every club.

> @GolfGrouch said:

> Is the ELIXR most comparable to the Titleist Pro V1 or Pro V1X?

Great question because when we started the design of the ELIXR our whole goal was to create one tour ball that had it all. As many know, the ProV1x performs well off the tee but not as well around the green whereas the ProV1 performs better around the green than it does off the tee. We've combined an exceptionally responsive core material (so "hot" that we've received warnings from the USGA on our ball's initial velocity) with a high modulus and high density mantle that reduces spin off the driver but maintains the desired backspin longer (resulting in longer drives as the aerodynamic lift is maintained longer). At lower club head speeds - the short iron play - the high modulus of the mantle is not effecting feel because it is very thin and the urethane cover along with our polybutadiene core dominate the ball's play. In other words, you get the best of both in one ball.

> @GolfGrouch said:

> Can you share any pricing information on the upcoming GENiUS Ball?

Until the development is completely done we don't have a definite answer to that and obviously putting a brain in a ball will be a little more costly but we are aiming to have it affordable to everyone and expect a sleeve to cost about the same as a dozen would (between $25-40).

> @sosob34 said:

> As your company continues to grow do you see your golf balls being offered in more golf shops or large retail stores or will you stick more to the direct to consumer model?

Great question...we have always wanted to do a more direct to consumer model because we are a smaller company that puts the vast majority of its money into R&D rather than paying players or television advertising etc. That being said we do have pro shops around the country that carry the ball and we sell to pro shops when they order but when cash is king and we are trying to gain as much visibility for the least amount as well as have a more personal relationship with our customers than just a store presence, we have found this is our best business model. Same goes for big box....we have done trials with big box like Dicks and others around the country and it did very well but the cost to support those relationships and drive traffic into those stores is massive and the margins are extremely poor. I hope this gives you an idea of where we are coming from and why we have decided to embrace the direct to consumer model. The ability to interact with customers and control the experience they have with OnCore is very important to us as well which is why we like D to C.

> @Team_OnCore said:

> > @DrewBallin said:

> > I have hit only one Oncore ball, the MA 1.0

> > Honestly it wasn't my go to ball. I'd like to give your equipment a try again but am reserved about it. I realize that is an older ball and tech has changed, but what can I expect out of your current line?

>

> The MA-1.0 was very polarizing because of that stiff core that also created a loud sound. It was extremely accurate because there was literally no weight within the .9 inch diameter of the hollow metal core but was really only meant for slow swing speeds and golfers that had real accuracy issues. We actually discontinued that as we brought on some of the industry's best engineers. Our follow up products have had nearly all 5 star reviews and recognition from all sorts of big golf reviews and publications and players alike.

> The Avant 55 is a 2 piece, soft surlyn cover, perimeter weighted 55 compression golf ball and the ELIXR is an 85 compression golf ball with perimeter weighting created by high density particles we put into the mantle layer giving it an extremely high velocity off the tee, really great control in the wind, accuracy and a soft feel and check up from the thick urethane cover. The ELIXR which is our tour ball has really been a huge catalyst for our growth and success!

Thank you for answering my question. I do have a higher swing speed ( driver 109+ ) may be why I didn't care for the MA 1.0? Anywho, thanks! I may just have to pick up some Avant or Elixr for comparison.

> @DrewBallin said:

> > @Team_OnCore said:

> > > @DrewBallin said:

> > > I have hit only one Oncore ball, the MA 1.0

> > > Honestly it wasn't my go to ball. I'd like to give your equipment a try again but am reserved about it. I realize that is an older ball and tech has changed, but what can I expect out of your current line?

> >

> > The MA-1.0 was very polarizing because of that stiff core that also created a loud sound. It was extremely accurate because there was literally no weight within the .9 inch diameter of the hollow metal core but was really only meant for slow swing speeds and golfers that had real accuracy issues. We actually discontinued that as we brought on some of the industry's best engineers. Our follow up products have had nearly all 5 star reviews and recognition from all sorts of big golf reviews and publications and players alike.

> > The Avant 55 is a 2 piece, soft surlyn cover, perimeter weighted 55 compression golf ball and the ELIXR is an 85 compression golf ball with perimeter weighting created by high density particles we put into the mantle layer giving it an extremely high velocity off the tee, really great control in the wind, accuracy and a soft feel and check up from the thick urethane cover. The ELIXR which is our tour ball has really been a huge catalyst for our growth and success!

>

> Thank you for answering my question. I do have a higher swing speed ( driver 109+ ) may be why I didn't care for the MA 1.0? Anywho, thanks! I may just have to pick up some Avant or Elixr for comparison.

My pleasure and thanks for the question! The ELIXR will definitely be ideal for your swing speed and i am certain you will really enjoy the performance. You will especially notice how it performs in the wind. The perimeter weighting help creates a fly wheel effect which means less flutter and better control.