2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 AIG Women's British Open Aug 1 - 4

Does anyone know if the winning "privileges" for the women's british open is essentially the same as the men's? Eg lifetime eligibility to play the british open till 60yrs of age, 5 yrs exemption / eligibility for the other majors - in this case, I guess the other 4 majors since it's LPGA? Related to Shibuno, she has indicated to Japanese media that she doesn't intend to use her LPGA eligibility in 2020, preferring to play in the JLPGA and would just participate in the majors for the next 5 yrs. (she did say that language and adjusting to overseas are hurdles ). Her reasoning does make sense, especially with Tokyo Olympics in 2020... Thanks!

> @Newinup said:

> Does anyone know if the winning "privileges" for the women's british open is essentially the same as the men's? Eg lifetime eligibility to play the british open till 60yrs of age, 5 yrs exemption / eligibility for the other majors - in this case, I guess the other 4 majors since it's LPGA? Related to Shibuno, she has indicated to Japanese media that she doesn't intend to use her LPGA eligibility in 2020, preferring to play in the JLPGA and would just participate in the majors for the next 5 yrs. (she did say that language and adjusting to overseas are hurdles ). Her reasoning does make sense, especially with Tokyo Olympics in 2020... Thanks!

Yes, the winner of the WBO is qualified to play in future WBOs until the age of 60 if they are still active. This year Laura Davies, Catriona Matthew, and Karrie Webb qualified in this category.

The ANA, USWO, PGA Championship, and Evian qualifying criteria includes the winner of the WBO for the past 5 years.

I'm a little surprised that Hinako won't take LPGA membership.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Newinup said:

> Does anyone know if the winning "privileges" for the women's british open is essentially the same as the men's? Eg lifetime eligibility to play the british open till 60yrs of age, 5 yrs exemption / eligibility for the other majors - in this case, I guess the other 4 majors since it's LPGA? Related to Shibuno, she has indicated to Japanese media that she doesn't intend to use her LPGA eligibility in 2020, preferring to play in the JLPGA and would just participate in the majors for the next 5 yrs. (she did say that language and adjusting to overseas are hurdles ). Her reasoning does make sense, especially with Tokyo Olympics in 2020... Thanks!

I don't know about the lifetime exemption to 60 years old; but for sure Shibuno has earned 5 years exemption to all majors.

She has the privilege whether she plays JLPGA or LPGA.

All men's majors are independent of PGA Tour.

For Women; USWO is totally independent, Women's British Open will become independent soon. KPMG is jointly run by KPMG, PGA of America and LPGA.

ANA and Evian are just like other regular LPGA events.

Thanks for your insights Argonne and 18majors -- Seems like Shibuno's reasoning for potentially declining the LPGA (at least as of writing at this early week from Japanese papers) are the following:

a) That accdg to Shibuno herself, she doesn't see herself as topflight JLPGA tour player (for now). Maybe if she tops the JLPGA (I would suspect if she tops the money list and/or their ranking list) she might reconsider - that was presumably said by someone else during an interview (maybe her coach/caddy? manager? the article did not indicate - only that the person who said it was related to Shibuno)

b) As mentioned, adjustments to overseas and language. - this I can understand, she had just arrived at England for the Open and actually wanted to go back to Japan already lol... (dunno if her instagram/tweets were in jest or for real)... she is a contradiction though coz she did try to speak in English during the award ceremony as you guys I'm sure have seen

c) At the very least she could play the British Open for 10 yrs and other majrs 5 years (that's what the news press article stated - hence I asked about the privileges of winning the BO in the earlier post).

d) IMHO, I think never say never. Not sure when she would need to register for eligibility (eg deadline) for LPGA. I think if we want to see her more in the LPGA, then we'd have to be rooting for her to annihilate the domestic tour in the next few tournaments. Meiji in Hokkaido, CAT in Hakone etc with Mamiko Higa etc are not easy tournaments but she's on a hot streak this year, that's for sure.... her goal is to win 100MM Yen (eg $1MM) in this years JLPGA... (She's already at 70+MM btw)...

She has till the end of the year to declare her intention to play on the LPGA I believe. She's obviously talented, but it's very difficult to get a card by the other means. I wouldn't expect her to take immediate membership. Finish the season on the JLPGA, and then start your rookie season in 2020 on the LPGA.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> She has till the end of the year to declare her intention to play on the LPGA I believe. She's obviously talented, but it's very difficult to get a card by the other means. I wouldn't expect her to take immediate membership. Finish the season on the JLPGA, and then start your rookie season in 2020 on the LPGA.

Thanks... Yes, agree... and I'm hoping for it as well. Will add more drama and interesting stories to the LPGA for sure... My other "bet" Bianca Pagdanganan has to go through Qschool and obviously prefers to go to LPGA... such irony sometimes we human beings have :)

With regard to Shibuno, and the 2019 Women's British Open

Wow!!!!! Gotta love that!

On the front 9 of Round 3, watching the final pairing, Buhai was playing with unbridled confidence, while Shibuno was angry, agitated, and playing poorly. Her own mistakes, and the slowness of play (probably Ciganda, and others!) got her a little out of sorts. Was it 7 shots between them at one point?!

The commentators on my stream (Alfredson, et al…) were quick to jump on the theme of the Cinderella girl breaking apart under major championship strain. Albeit – subtly. They didn’t say explicitly that Shibuno would not win – but it was in the air!

I simply did not see it that way. The fact that she was angry, to me, meant she intended to win. There was no back down – and it was certainly nothing like the “deer in spotlights” morphology that Buhai assumed on the back 9. How many times have we seen that?! All the body parts start moving out of synch, and the player looks like they want to hide under their bed. The easy flowing game suddenly becomes terrifying.

Meanwhile, Shibuno seemed to suck up her dissatisfaction and channel it into a sublime assault on the championship. It was breathtaking. We’ve had the “duel in the sun”. This was the “magical Cinderella in the forest”.

In the final round Shibuno had her 4-putt double-bogey, and this was another signal to marginalise her. It is incredible that despite 7.5 hours of coverage, the stream I was watching missed some of her back-9 shots. It was understandable – with Park and Ko lurking, and Salas lighting it up. But again, I thought Shibuno’s reaction the double was scarily calm and calculated. Her immediate response was to attack – but not recklessly or with desperation. She seemed to sum up immediately that she was still right there in the mix. Her swing was relaxed and full of intent. She fired at pins, but with just a bit of caution. Her lag putts always reached the hole – the only player to do that!

And then, just like that – she won! What a show! And I really feel for Salas who went for the win with purpose and skill, but missed out. But girl, you have to make THAT putt! I think Ko’s fairway wood off the tee on 18 ultimately gave her the result she deserved, this time– 3rd.

I feel foolish. I am a sports better (and successful!) and I did not lay down any coin on Hinako. In the end, it felt like I always knew she was going to win (or go very close). I think I was too absorbed in it to think of that.

Others on this site have commented on how they hate the bolters and journeyman pros taking major championships, and then disappearing back into obscurity. But this time it had an entirely different feeling! I think we all slightly humbled by the fact that someone we had never heard of (save a few of you hard-core aficionados) won, and this time, it wasn’t a fluke!

The D-Day to find out if Shibuno is going to the LPGA in 2020 is on Nov 18, 2019 (Eastern time North America). Clearly she's not playing this year.... (I quote from the latest research translated from Japanese via google translate)...

The member registration deadline for Shibuno, who won the U.K. Women's Open last week, to participate in this season's US LPGA tour is 5:00 pm eastern US time (6 am on Japan time). As soon as he said, “I would like to concentrate on the Japan tour. I think I should participate in the Major 5 tournament with the right to participate in the next 5 years,” Shibuno said.

However, if you apply by 5pm on November 18 (6am on 19th), you can get the seed right next season (2020).

I will say this, the manner in which Shibuno has captured not only the title but also the hearts of a lot of casual golf fans has been refreshing. She reminds me a lot of French actress Leslie Caron in the movie The Glass Slipper, which is a Cinderella based movie. Somewhat naive, very energetic and charming.

8ayzsadzu6ej.jpg

Shibuno just signed with T-Point Japan as a new sponsor this week/last night our time -- this is a domestic company which MAY have aspirations of expanding abroad (I don't know the company really well)... If I see an NEC, All Nippon Airways, Japan, Lexus, etc then that is the clincher... For now, it seems like she is still participating in the JLPGA. BUT, here's what I cant seem to decipher based on local Japanese news --> FWIW, it stated that she is keen to participate in some US tour events but also in JLPGA. Is that possible? Would LPGA allow her to play in the LPGA and split time with JLPGA and LPGA? (The Japanese press didnt specifically mention how much time in each, but say, 50% in JLPGA, 50% in LPGA? workable? ) This seems workable but at the expense of risking a 2021 LPGA card -- (of course if she wins an LPGA event or a major again, well... all this questioning is moot lol)...

She is exempt in the majors for the next five years even if she doesn't take LPGA membership. If she does take LPGA membership in 2010, she could still play JLPGA events. I don't believe the JLPGA would pull her membership. There are plenty of players with both LPGA and LET membership. With an LPGA win under her belt, I believe she's guaranteed a card for 2 seasons. If she didn't play enough events, and earn enough money to keep her card, she'd have to go to Q Series.

One does not have to play a full schedule if one has a number of good finishes. Jennifer Kupcho is currently #37 on the money list, and has only played in 10 events. IK Kim is #49 on the money list with only 9 tournaments this season.

> @18majors said:

> > @Newinup said:

> > This seems workable but at the expense of risking a 2021 LPGA card

>

> Once become a LPGA member; Shibuno is exempted for five years as a major winner.

Are you looking at bucket #3 on the Priority List? I was originally thinking the same thing but as written online I think the major win needs to occur while you were a member, which she was not at the time she won (note, I did not pay close enough attention to see how this worked with In Gee after the USWO)?

Also, is there a maximum number of sponsor exemptions that a player can take per year? If she just wants to play the three majors in the U.S. plus a few more of the better tournaments (or say only play in the U.S. from late-March to the KPMG Women's PGA) would she be constrained? Doesn't seem like this is a good strategy if you want to play in the U.S. for multiple years (the invites might run out very quickly and the money doesn't count for Top 80 status) vs. just becoming a member and trying to win enough playing however much you play to retain Top 80. But it could work in the short-term.

I don't believe you have to be a member at the time of winning a major to qualify for the next five majors.

Thanks for the clarifications guys. Based on your replies, it seems like going the LPGA route would still be a "better" route for her "main" goal to represent Japan in the Olympics in 2020. She's now #14, top 15 receive automatic qualification. She needs to maintain that ranking and it allows the country that has 2 or more top 15 players to field a max of 4 golfers. Correct me if I am wrong, but it does seem that winning/cashing in LPGA events would impact ranking points more than JLPGA tournaments (of course, competition in JLPGA would be less stiff). There might still be a lot of hope for us here in North America to see her more often in our time zone with commentators speaking our language :) FWIW, she is fully aware of this phenomenon based on interviews that I've seen (fact, she said it herself in terms of maintaining top 15 and that she needs ranking points)-- hence, I think why she might be planning to split time between JLPGA/LPGA (rumor based on news analysis, golf pundits in japan with some favoring her to move full time to LPGA, and some others on the negative)... will keep you posted guys on whatever i can find out :)

I just can't see her maintaining that high of a ranking playing primarily on the JLPGA. The strength of field in those events is too low. Winning a major was huge, allowing her to jump 32 spots in the world rankings. However, if you look at the other top JLPGA players, many with multiple wins on that tour, they're lucky to break into the Top 30. Jiyai is #23, and Ai is #28. Seon Woo is #34. Sun-Ju is #37. Mamiko is #45.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I just can't see her maintaining that high of a ranking playing primarily on the JLPGA. The strength of field in those events is too low. Winning a major was huge, allowing her to jump 32 spots in the world rankings. However, if you look at the other top JLPGA players, many with multiple wins on that tour, they're lucky to break into the Top 30. Jiyai is #23, and Ai is #28. Seon Woo is #34. Sun-Ju is #37. Mamiko is #45.

We can all hope she sees this logic and mathematics! I would surmise that she is smart enough to know this hence this rumor of splitting time between JLPGA and LPGA)...

> @Newinup said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > I just can't see her maintaining that high of a ranking playing primarily on the JLPGA. The strength of field in those events is too low. Winning a major was huge, allowing her to jump 32 spots in the world rankings. However, if you look at the other top JLPGA players, many with multiple wins on that tour, they're lucky to break into the Top 30. Jiyai is #23, and Ai is #28. Seon Woo is #34. Sun-Ju is #37. Mamiko is #45.

> We can all hope she sees this logic and mathematics! I would surmise that she is smart enough to know this hence this rumor of splitting time between JLPGA and LPGA)...

To qualify for the Olympics, doesn't she just need to be a) in the (roughly) Top 60 and b) the #1 or #2 ranked Japanese female? The Top 15 provides a bit more protection (can play as long as you are not the 5th ranked Japanese player in the Top 15) but practically speaking I would think it is less important.

Edit: if the objective is to play on the LPGA to earn more points and have a better shot to rank ahead of other JLPGA players, then I understand what is going on here.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Newinup said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > I just can't see her maintaining that high of a ranking playing primarily on the JLPGA. The strength of field in those events is too low. Winning a major was huge, allowing her to jump 32 spots in the world rankings. However, if you look at the other top JLPGA players, many with multiple wins on that tour, they're lucky to break into the Top 30. Jiyai is #23, and Ai is #28. Seon Woo is #34. Sun-Ju is #37. Mamiko is #45.

> > We can all hope she sees this logic and mathematics! I would surmise that she is smart enough to know this hence this rumor of splitting time between JLPGA and LPGA)...

> To qualify for the Olympics, doesn't she just need to be a) in the (roughly) Top 60 and b) the #1 or #2 ranked Japanese female? The Top 15 provides a bit more protection (can play as long as you are not the 5th ranked Japanese player in the Top 15) but practically speaking I would think it is less important.

>

> Edit: if the objective is to play on the LPGA to earn more points and have a better shot to rank ahead of other JLPGA players, then I understand what is going on here.

Japan is fairly competitive:

Nasa Hataoka, 10

Hinako Shibuno, 14

Ai Suzuki, 28

Mamiko Higa, 45

Yui Kawamoto, 51

Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

> @18majors said:

> Japan is fairly competitive:

> Nasa Hataoka, 10

> Hinako Shibuno, 14

> Ai Suzuki, 28

> Mamiko Higa, 45

> Yui Kawamoto, 51

>

> Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

> Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

Yes, agree. I guess I was just saying that a) Top 60 AND b) Top 2 from Japan is likely enough to get it done. Top 15 affords more protections/certainty but I'm not sure it's crucial.

@Newinup Do you have any sense if she only wants to play the LPGA to try and help qualify for the Tokyo Olympics? Or it would likely be a longer-term move (or playing split tours) and right now is just balancing the political/social aspects of not abandoning the JLPGA tour?

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Japan is fairly competitive:

> > Nasa Hataoka, 10

> > Hinako Shibuno, 14

> > Ai Suzuki, 28

> > Mamiko Higa, 45

> > Yui Kawamoto, 51

> >

> > Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

> > Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

> Yes, agree. I guess I was just saying that a) Top 60 AND b) Top 2 from Japan is likely enough to get it done. Top 15 affords more protections/certainty but I'm not sure it's crucial.

>

> @Newinup Do you have any sense if she only wants to play the LPGA to try and help qualify for the Tokyo Olympics? Or it would likely be a longer-term move (or playing split tours) and right now is just balancing the political/social aspects of not abandoning the JLPGA tour?

My sense is that her main goal is to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics (and try to win gold). That has been her consistent message in public interviews.

I think this is her true goal right now (olympics), but being 20 yrs old at this moment i think her goal is to get to #1 in JLPGA 2019 (she knows or "humbles" herself to say in public that she isn't as good as other JLPGA domestic players yet and wants to be #1 in their tour first before taking on bigger fishes in the intl arena, so to speak... -- I beg to disagree -- she's already twice winner in that tour as we all know and she's #2 in the JLPGA money list at 79MM yen - she also stated she wants to hit 100MM first this year -- hence I'm rooting for that so that she can change her mind and go LPGA full time hopefully lol)...

As to how best to achieve her goals of representing Japan in next yr's Tokyo Olympics is subject to debate, as we have been trying to figure out here now -- does she split time between JLPGA and LPGA?

She is definitely going to participate in majors, that's also been consistent in her interviews.

The speculation is that she is content in Japan especially having just signed major deals involving Japanese domestic companies -- she failed the JLPGA Q-school in 2017 and made it in 2018 hence a full fledged 2019 JLPGA member this year. So these deals were signed early or even as late as mid year after she won Salonpas Cup (considered a major in Japan) and Anessa Shiseido (which I was so happy to see as I was in Japan during that time this year :).

Now that she's won the British Open, she just signed with T-Point, which is a prominent sponsor of one of the tournaments in JLPGA. Hence my sense is that she will definitely be attending these tournaments in JLPGA.

My only "Hope" to see her in our time zone compete in LPGA is if she indeed splits time here since she knows that ranking points are important to maintain her status. Ai Suzuki, being in LPGA, may actually overtake her if she performs well right? and then her Olympic dream will not come to fruition, hence my sense is that she might split time... Her choice obviously, but we're here trying to figure out what she may do based on logic especially if her goal is to make it to the Japan Olympic Women's golf team (she wasnt even #3 prior to the British Open)

> @Newinup said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > Japan is fairly competitive:

> > > Nasa Hataoka, 10

> > > Hinako Shibuno, 14

> > > Ai Suzuki, 28

> > > Mamiko Higa, 45

> > > Yui Kawamoto, 51

> > >

> > > Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

> > > Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

> > Yes, agree. I guess I was just saying that a) Top 60 AND b) Top 2 from Japan is likely enough to get it done. Top 15 affords more protections/certainty but I'm not sure it's crucial.

> >

> > @Newinup Do you have any sense if she only wants to play the LPGA to try and help qualify for the Tokyo Olympics? Or it would likely be a longer-term move (or playing split tours) and right now is just balancing the political/social aspects of not abandoning the JLPGA tour?

> My sense is that her main goal is to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics (and try to win gold). That has been her consistent message in public interviews.

> I think this is her true goal right now (olympics), but being 20 yrs old at this moment i think her goal is to get to #1 in JLPGA 2019 (she knows or "humbles" herself to say in public that she isn't as good as other JLPGA domestic players yet and wants to be #1 in their tour first before taking on bigger fishes in the intl arena, so to speak... -- I beg to disagree -- she's already twice winner in that tour as we all know and she's #2 in the JLPGA money list at 79MM yen - she also stated she wants to hit 100MM first this year -- hence I'm rooting for that so that she can change her mind and go LPGA full time hopefully lol)...

> As to how best to achieve her goals of representing Japan in next yr's Tokyo Olympics is subject to debate, as we have been trying to figure out here now -- does she split time between JLPGA and LPGA?

> She is definitely going to participate in majors, that's also been consistent in her interviews.

> The speculation is that she is content in Japan especially having just signed major deals involving Japanese domestic companies -- she failed the JLPGA Q-school in 2017 and made it in 2018 hence a full fledged 2019 JLPGA member this year. So these deals were signed early or even as late as mid year after she won Salonpas Cup (considered a major in Japan) and Anessa Shiseido (which I was so happy to see as I was in Japan during that time this year :).

> Now that she's won the British Open, she just signed with T-Point, which is a prominent sponsor of one of the tournaments in JLPGA. Hence my sense is that she will definitely be attending these tournaments in JLPGA.

> My only "Hope" to see her in our time zone compete in LPGA is if she indeed splits time here since she knows that ranking points are important to maintain her status. Ai Suzuki, being in LPGA, may actually overtake her if she performs well right? and then her Olympic dream will not come to fruition, hence my sense is that she might split time... Her choice obviously, but we're here trying to figure out what she may do based on logic especially if her goal is to make it to the Japan Olympic Women's golf team (she wasnt even #3 prior to the British Open)

>

Thanks for the many comments. I do not know the rankings well enough to say if she sould play JLPGA or LPGA if trying to hold down at least the next number 2 spot. The others that replied may be able to offer more insight.

Isn't Ai Suzuki JLPGA as well? If so, it seems like Shibuno would just need to match her on JLPGA and the points from her WBO would be enough. Of course, she could also be passed by others for any number of reasons.

Maybe I will try to go to the Japan LPGA tournament this fall. I am trying to go to one of them.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Newinup said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > Japan is fairly competitive:

> > > > Nasa Hataoka, 10

> > > > Hinako Shibuno, 14

> > > > Ai Suzuki, 28

> > > > Mamiko Higa, 45

> > > > Yui Kawamoto, 51

> > > >

> > > > Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

> > > > Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

> > > Yes, agree. I guess I was just saying that a) Top 60 AND b) Top 2 from Japan is likely enough to get it done. Top 15 affords more protections/certainty but I'm not sure it's crucial.

> > >

> > > @Newinup Do you have any sense if she only wants to play the LPGA to try and help qualify for the Tokyo Olympics? Or it would likely be a longer-term move (or playing split tours) and right now is just balancing the political/social aspects of not abandoning the JLPGA tour?

> > My sense is that her main goal is to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics (and try to win gold). That has been her consistent message in public interviews.

> > I think this is her true goal right now (olympics), but being 20 yrs old at this moment i think her goal is to get to #1 in JLPGA 2019 (she knows or "humbles" herself to say in public that she isn't as good as other JLPGA domestic players yet and wants to be #1 in their tour first before taking on bigger fishes in the intl arena, so to speak... -- I beg to disagree -- she's already twice winner in that tour as we all know and she's #2 in the JLPGA money list at 79MM yen - she also stated she wants to hit 100MM first this year -- hence I'm rooting for that so that she can change her mind and go LPGA full time hopefully lol)...

> > As to how best to achieve her goals of representing Japan in next yr's Tokyo Olympics is subject to debate, as we have been trying to figure out here now -- does she split time between JLPGA and LPGA?

> > She is definitely going to participate in majors, that's also been consistent in her interviews.

> > The speculation is that she is content in Japan especially having just signed major deals involving Japanese domestic companies -- she failed the JLPGA Q-school in 2017 and made it in 2018 hence a full fledged 2019 JLPGA member this year. So these deals were signed early or even as late as mid year after she won Salonpas Cup (considered a major in Japan) and Anessa Shiseido (which I was so happy to see as I was in Japan during that time this year :).

> > Now that she's won the British Open, she just signed with T-Point, which is a prominent sponsor of one of the tournaments in JLPGA. Hence my sense is that she will definitely be attending these tournaments in JLPGA.

> > My only "Hope" to see her in our time zone compete in LPGA is if she indeed splits time here since she knows that ranking points are important to maintain her status. Ai Suzuki, being in LPGA, may actually overtake her if she performs well right? and then her Olympic dream will not come to fruition, hence my sense is that she might split time... Her choice obviously, but we're here trying to figure out what she may do based on logic especially if her goal is to make it to the Japan Olympic Women's golf team (she wasnt even #3 prior to the British Open)

> >

> Thanks for the many comments. I do not know the rankings well enough to say if she sould play JLPGA or LPGA if trying to hold down at least the next number 2 spot. The others that replied may be able to offer more insight.

>

> Isn't Ai Suzuki JLPGA as well? If so, it seems like Shibuno would just need to match her on JLPGA and the points from her WBO would be enough. Of course, she could also be passed by others for any number of reasons.

>

> Maybe I will try to go to the Japan LPGA tournament this fall. I am trying to go to one of them.

Just sharing what I can/do know since you guys know more about the LPGA specifics/technicalities than me (even if I follow it weekly on golftv). Ai Suzuki plays a lot more on the LPGA vs JLPGA per what I know. And, as you correctly pointed out, others in the JLPGA can overtake her for whatever reason too... Seems like Hataoka is the only sure thing right now for Japan in Women's Olympic Golf...

You should go to the Japan LPGA. It's a great experience (at least for me). Choose a "bigger tournament" (Eg look at the size of purse). I just chanced a tournament while I was there and it was fortunately the Anessa Shiseido (which Shibuno won lol). Funny I ended up there since it was a rainy Sunday in Tokyo and sightseeing wasnt going to be fun that day so ended up going away from Tokyo! LOL

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Newinup said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > Japan is fairly competitive:

> > > > Nasa Hataoka, 10

> > > > Hinako Shibuno, 14

> > > > Ai Suzuki, 28

> > > > Mamiko Higa, 45

> > > > Yui Kawamoto, 51

> > > >

> > > > Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

> > > > Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

> > > Yes, agree. I guess I was just saying that a) Top 60 AND b) Top 2 from Japan is likely enough to get it done. Top 15 affords more protections/certainty but I'm not sure it's crucial.

> > >

> > > @Newinup Do you have any sense if she only wants to play the LPGA to try and help qualify for the Tokyo Olympics? Or it would likely be a longer-term move (or playing split tours) and right now is just balancing the political/social aspects of not abandoning the JLPGA tour?

> > My sense is that her main goal is to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics (and try to win gold). That has been her consistent message in public interviews.

> > I think this is her true goal right now (olympics), but being 20 yrs old at this moment i think her goal is to get to #1 in JLPGA 2019 (she knows or "humbles" herself to say in public that she isn't as good as other JLPGA domestic players yet and wants to be #1 in their tour first before taking on bigger fishes in the intl arena, so to speak... -- I beg to disagree -- she's already twice winner in that tour as we all know and she's #2 in the JLPGA money list at 79MM yen - she also stated she wants to hit 100MM first this year -- hence I'm rooting for that so that she can change her mind and go LPGA full time hopefully lol)...

> > As to how best to achieve her goals of representing Japan in next yr's Tokyo Olympics is subject to debate, as we have been trying to figure out here now -- does she split time between JLPGA and LPGA?

> > She is definitely going to participate in majors, that's also been consistent in her interviews.

> > The speculation is that she is content in Japan especially having just signed major deals involving Japanese domestic companies -- she failed the JLPGA Q-school in 2017 and made it in 2018 hence a full fledged 2019 JLPGA member this year. So these deals were signed early or even as late as mid year after she won Salonpas Cup (considered a major in Japan) and Anessa Shiseido (which I was so happy to see as I was in Japan during that time this year :).

> > Now that she's won the British Open, she just signed with T-Point, which is a prominent sponsor of one of the tournaments in JLPGA. Hence my sense is that she will definitely be attending these tournaments in JLPGA.

> > My only "Hope" to see her in our time zone compete in LPGA is if she indeed splits time here since she knows that ranking points are important to maintain her status. Ai Suzuki, being in LPGA, may actually overtake her if she performs well right? and then her Olympic dream will not come to fruition, hence my sense is that she might split time... Her choice obviously, but we're here trying to figure out what she may do based on logic especially if her goal is to make it to the Japan Olympic Women's golf team (she wasnt even #3 prior to the British Open)

> >

> Thanks for the many comments. I do not know the rankings well enough to say if she sould play JLPGA or LPGA if trying to hold down at least the next number 2 spot. The others that replied may be able to offer more insight.

>

> Isn't Ai Suzuki JLPGA as well? If so, it seems like Shibuno would just need to match her on JLPGA and the points from her WBO would be enough. Of course, she could also be passed by others for any number of reasons.

>

> Maybe I will try to go to the Japan LPGA tournament this fall. I am trying to go to one of them.

Ai Suzuki plays at least 2-3 LPGA majors a year; although she hasn't done well thus far.

Until the Shibuno phenomenon, Ai has consistently been the best Japanese JLPGA player for the last 2-3 years; her world ranking has been way ahead of Shibuno until Women's British Open.

The wild card is if Higa or Kawamoto would enter LPGA Q-Series late October. Either of them just needs a LPGA win and two or three top 3 finishes to overtake Shibuno.

Mamiko Higa led 2019 US Women's Open for 2 rounds and had a chance to win 2018 Women's British Open; she's dangerous.

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Newinup said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > Japan is fairly competitive:

> > > > > Nasa Hataoka, 10

> > > > > Hinako Shibuno, 14

> > > > > Ai Suzuki, 28

> > > > > Mamiko Higa, 45

> > > > > Yui Kawamoto, 51

> > > > >

> > > > > Right now, only Hataoka and Shibono would qualify.

> > > > > Shibuno wouldn't qualify if she drops out of top 15 and behind one of these competitors

> > > > Yes, agree. I guess I was just saying that a) Top 60 AND b) Top 2 from Japan is likely enough to get it done. Top 15 affords more protections/certainty but I'm not sure it's crucial.

> > > >

> > > > @Newinup Do you have any sense if she only wants to play the LPGA to try and help qualify for the Tokyo Olympics? Or it would likely be a longer-term move (or playing split tours) and right now is just balancing the political/social aspects of not abandoning the JLPGA tour?

> > > My sense is that her main goal is to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics (and try to win gold). That has been her consistent message in public interviews.

> > > I think this is her true goal right now (olympics), but being 20 yrs old at this moment i think her goal is to get to #1 in JLPGA 2019 (she knows or "humbles" herself to say in public that she isn't as good as other JLPGA domestic players yet and wants to be #1 in their tour first before taking on bigger fishes in the intl arena, so to speak... -- I beg to disagree -- she's already twice winner in that tour as we all know and she's #2 in the JLPGA money list at 79MM yen - she also stated she wants to hit 100MM first this year -- hence I'm rooting for that so that she can change her mind and go LPGA full time hopefully lol)...

> > > As to how best to achieve her goals of representing Japan in next yr's Tokyo Olympics is subject to debate, as we have been trying to figure out here now -- does she split time between JLPGA and LPGA?

> > > She is definitely going to participate in majors, that's also been consistent in her interviews.

> > > The speculation is that she is content in Japan especially having just signed major deals involving Japanese domestic companies -- she failed the JLPGA Q-school in 2017 and made it in 2018 hence a full fledged 2019 JLPGA member this year. So these deals were signed early or even as late as mid year after she won Salonpas Cup (considered a major in Japan) and Anessa Shiseido (which I was so happy to see as I was in Japan during that time this year :).

> > > Now that she's won the British Open, she just signed with T-Point, which is a prominent sponsor of one of the tournaments in JLPGA. Hence my sense is that she will definitely be attending these tournaments in JLPGA.

> > > My only "Hope" to see her in our time zone compete in LPGA is if she indeed splits time here since she knows that ranking points are important to maintain her status. Ai Suzuki, being in LPGA, may actually overtake her if she performs well right? and then her Olympic dream will not come to fruition, hence my sense is that she might split time... Her choice obviously, but we're here trying to figure out what she may do based on logic especially if her goal is to make it to the Japan Olympic Women's golf team (she wasnt even #3 prior to the British Open)

> > >

> > Thanks for the many comments. I do not know the rankings well enough to say if she sould play JLPGA or LPGA if trying to hold down at least the next number 2 spot. The others that replied may be able to offer more insight.

> >

> > Isn't Ai Suzuki JLPGA as well? If so, it seems like Shibuno would just need to match her on JLPGA and the points from her WBO would be enough. Of course, she could also be passed by others for any number of reasons.

> >

> > Maybe I will try to go to the Japan LPGA tournament this fall. I am trying to go to one of them.

>

> Ai Suzuki plays at least 2-3 LPGA majors a year; although she hasn't done well thus far.

> Until the Shibuno phenomenon, Ai has consistently been the best Japanese JLPGA player for the last 2-3 years; her world ranking has been way ahead of Shibuno until Women's British Open.

> The wild card is if Higa or Kawamoto would enter LPGA Q-Series late October. Either of them just needs a LPGA win and two or three top 3 finishes to overtake Shibuno.

> Mamiko Higa led 2019 US Women's Open for 2 rounds and had a chance to win 2018 Women's British Open; she's dangerous.

>

All great points! Hence why if I were #14 in the rankings, and really want to ensure my placing in the Tokyo Olympics Women's Golf Team, I'd be watching my back... Higa is most likely not going to enter Q-School for a variety of reasons: husband domestically based, she's entered in a few domestic tournaments already during US Qschool season (unless those posters in Hakone for the CAT Women's Open are incorrect - eg saw them when I was in Hakone last month, etc), etc. And as you said, Suzuki wins one LPGA event and the rankings all become interesting for these JLPGA players again... I don't know Kawamoto well enough to figure out her intentions on the tour (eg JLPGA/LPGA)...

I'm keeping my Shibuno updates here in the meantime unless you guys think it is more appropriate to start a new thread just about her (btw, I don't know how to do that either lol).

Her world ranking is now #12 (as a result of T-3 NEC event last weekend - she had a chance for a birdie to win it outright but bogeyed the last hole -- 6m putt /20 ft putt went beyond and landed 2m over and miss the putt back/misread the line - quite a bit of points and her comparison vs the year before was easy, she had nothing/no points as she couldnt even participate in this event) ...

and a few new updates from the JLPGA --

a) the deadline for participation from sponsors/players in the 2020 JLPGA (if I read right) is Sept 30 2019. b) there has been such a "fever" in Japan that all of Shibuno's tournaments have caused traffic/parking problems into and exiting the "resorts" for which these domestic tournaments have been played so far...

This is a "good" problem to have for the JLPGA as it now draws a TON of sponsors wanting to sponsor TV etc. HOWEVER there is ANOTHER camp within the JLPGA now advocating that the they have to "encourage" domestic players with US LPGA "capabilities" to go to LPGA with the "cushion" that if they fail, they can still go back easily to the JLPGA and not lose status (apparently, this is a hurdle as to why some JLPGA players don't even bother LPGA -- that if you go LPGA, you are left on your own and suffer whatever consequences). They also state if they want to "go up to the level of the Koreans" they have to follow the top flight Korean KLPGA who are encouraged to go LPGA (is that true? I don't know). AFAIK, Japan is quite "insular" so I doubt they truly encourage their JLPGA players -- in the end, it does seem like Shibuno might decide to stick in JLPGA and we will find out (eg there is a political and business angle to this -- business, in particular, bec if the JLPGA gets a ton of sponsors due to "Shinbuno fever" then I'm sure there'll be pressure for her to play domestic to support her "home" tour).

Thanks for reading...

PS Shibuno is off this week (no tournament, she's heading back home to Okayama), I will solely focus on Bianca P in QSchool :) (maybe go to Cad Pac LPGA which is a good hour drive away from home)