2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 AIG Women's British Open Aug 1 - 4

How fun was that!? That was entertaining as all heck. Cinderella for the win with the lovely smile. A perfect finish to a very unexpected winner. The big question of course is whether she'll accept a card on the LPGA next season.?

Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

Solid week for Ashleigh. I don't think anyone thought she was going to win this thing, but she played a lot better than expected.

Jin Young is a worthy #1. A win would have been the cherry on top of the sundae, but a 1 and 3 in consecutive majors is crazy good.

What a great weekend by Morgan. Just when you're about to write a player out of it, she shows that she still has heart.

Sung Hyun? 'Just don't understand it. Can't point a finger at the weather today. All aspects of her game seemed off today, starting with a balky driver that wanted to go left.

Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

No idea how Celine doesn't get picked for the European Solheim Cup team. She's had a solid year.

OK, once again I want to see the WBO played on a links course. However, credit to Woburn for an excellent set up, and some great golf.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This tournament is a perfect example of why I watch the LPGA. On a good day, I can outdrive many of these ladies. For the rest of the game, where it truly matters, not a chance.

Tough loss for Salas, who was my choice to win. Great win by Shabuno. Don't recall the last time I saw someone have as much fun playing competitive golf.

> @Argonne69 said:

> How fun was that!? That was entertaining as all heck. Cinderella for the win with the lovely smile. A perfect finish to a very unexpected winner. The big question of course is whether she'll accept a card on the LPGA next season.?

>

> Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

>

> Solid week for Ashleigh. I don't think anyone thought she was going to win this thing, but she played a lot better than expected.

>

> Jin Young is a worthy #1. A win would have been the cherry on top of the sundae, but a 1 and 3 in consecutive majors is crazy good.

>

> What a great weekend by Morgan. Just when you're about to write a player out of it, she shows that she still has heart.

>

> Sung Hyun? 'Just don't understand it. Can't point a finger at the weather today. All aspects of her game seemed off today, starting with a balky driver that wanted to go left.

>

> Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

>

> No idea how Celine doesn't get picked for the European Solheim Cup team. She's had a solid year.

>

> OK, once again I want to see the WBO played on a links course. However, credit to Woburn for an excellent set up, and some great golf.

>

It seemed like JYK hit far more 3 metals (like 18) than Salas....when driver was hit , she was ahead by a good piece

Playing in her first major, Hinako Shibuno wins Women's British Open

"Later, when she’d finished taking questions from the English-speaking press, organizers brought in a variety of sandwiches and cakes for her to munch on while the Japanese media gathered ’round to begin their long Q&A session. The champion raised a hand in celebration at the thoughtful delivery."

[https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-hinako-shibuno-wins-womens-british-open/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero](https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-hinako-shibuno-wins-womens-british-open/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero "https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-hinako-shibuno-wins-womens-british-open/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero")

• Like 1

> @Argonne69 said:

> Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

>

Nah, she did alright. Seems like she only totally bombs when she's really in the hunt or on top. I know we joke about her Sunday woes, but she's gonna pull it together one of these days, she's too good not to.

Today was a broadcaster's wet dream for NBC. Everywhere you looked great golf was being played and tons of players with a chance down the stretch. J.Y Ko played like the #1 player in the world. Salas playing absolutely fearless golf. One thing I'll say about Shibuno - she was getting most of her putts at least to the hole. When players get nervous the tendency is to leave them short. Great win. Great Sunday.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @"the bishop" said:

> Today was a broadcaster's wet dream for NBC. Everywhere you looked great golf was being played and tons of players with a chance down the stretch. J.Y Ko played like the #1 player in the world. Salas playing absolutely fearless golf. One thing I'll say about Shibuno - she was getting most of her putts at least to the hole. When players get nervous the tendency is to leave them short. Great win. Great Sunday.

Definitely to the hole. If she didn't have a collision on 18, it is still rolling. R&A considering a fine for damage to the hole. :smile:

> @18majors said:

> Playing in her first major, Hinako Shibuno wins Women's British Open

> "Later, when she’d finished taking questions from the English-speaking press, organizers brought in a variety of sandwiches and cakes for her to munch on while the Japanese media gathered ’round to begin their long Q&A session. The champion raised a hand in celebration at the thoughtful delivery."

>

> [https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-hinako-shibuno-wins-womens-british-open/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero](https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-hinako-shibuno-wins-womens-british-open/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero "https://golfweek.com/2019/08/04/golf-hinako-shibuno-wins-womens-british-open/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero")

>

>

At the press conference: “I’m also hungry, and a little nauseous at the same time.”

On the 18th fairway to caddie: “If I were to shank this second shot, it would be very embarrassing.”

Asked about how she'll spend for winnings: “Enough treats to feed me til I die.”

> @buckeyefl said:

> Gary Williams just said on Morning Drive that its a long shot but if Morgan Pressel could win it would be a fan favorite or something along those lines. When did Morgan and her well deserved reputation change? Not sure why she would be a favorite for anyone aside from hardcore US fans who just want to see someone from here win or family members.

Pretty sure any negative reputation re Morgan changed many years ago as she grew out of childhood. Her interaction with fans and other players is one of the best (ex she waited at scoring tent to congratulate Shibuno), and Judy referenced how popular a win by her would be in the golf world.

I was secretly rooting for Shibuno-san. While I was in Japan last month, fortunately saw her play and win on a playoff at the Anessa Shiseido open (A come from behind win). Today, being the chased (rather than the chaser), I certainly didnt expect another great back nine but once she was tied heading into the last hole, I thought she might have the edge over Salas. This girl is unbelievable... Now it's back to rooting for Bianca P to make it through Qschool in a few weeks/month's time :)> @18majors said:

> > @Newinup said:

> > I was secretly rooting for Shibuno-san. While I was in Japan last month, fortunately saw her play and win on a playoff at the Anessa Shiseido open (A come from behind win). Today, being the chased (rather than the chaser), I certainly didnt expect another great back nine but once she was tied heading into the last hole, I thought she might have the edge over Salas. This girl is unbelievable... Now it's back to rooting for Bianca P to make it through Qschool in a few weeks/month's time :)

>

> Bianca'll breeze through Stage I; but Stage II will be her biggest challenge.

> She'll breeze through Q-Series if she passes Stage II.

> Hope to see Yuka Saso also!

I think Yuka isn't turning pro yet and might not be playing qschool -- not 100% sure about that but that's what I know from people who directly know her career path -- she'll play for the bulldogs in 2020 is her plan it seems. I certainly hope Bianca gets her full fledged LPGA card, then I'll truly have to travel to some of these US tournaments and see things live. (Let alone travelling to the Canadian CP Open whereever it is -- this year it's an hour drive away from home...)

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > How fun was that!? That was entertaining as all heck. Cinderella for the win with the lovely smile. A perfect finish to a very unexpected winner. The big question of course is whether she'll accept a card on the LPGA next season.?

> >

> > Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

> >

> > Solid week for Ashleigh. I don't think anyone thought she was going to win this thing, but she played a lot better than expected.

> >

> > Jin Young is a worthy #1. A win would have been the cherry on top of the sundae, but a 1 and 3 in consecutive majors is crazy good.

> >

> > What a great weekend by Morgan. Just when you're about to write a player out of it, she shows that she still has heart.

> >

> > Sung Hyun? 'Just don't understand it. Can't point a finger at the weather today. All aspects of her game seemed off today, starting with a balky driver that wanted to go left.

> >

> > Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

> >

> > No idea how Celine doesn't get picked for the European Solheim Cup team. She's had a solid year.

> >

> > OK, once again I want to see the WBO played on a links course. However, credit to Woburn for an excellent set up, and some great golf.

> >

>

> It seemed like JYK hit far more 3 metals (like 18) than Salas....when driver was hit , she was ahead by a good piece

Yeah, you're right. I watched the coverage again starting at the 11th hole, and it appeared that Jin Young was hitting 3 wood on most driving holes. Lizette did outdrive her by ~10 yds on one hole where they both hit driver.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Just catching up. I could not be any happier that Hinako Shibuno won. Her smile was just beaming the entire time. Looking at her over the past couple of days I was thinking, "Doesn't she know she's supposed to be nervous?" Stopping to sign autographs during the round and taking selfies. I hope she's around for a long time and a worthy major champion. Congratulations Shibuno-san!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

OK that was awesome! Wasn't keen on going back to the non-links/heathland option, but the course setup over the weekend was the perfect canvas for these artists. That putt was so frickin' cool! What a fantastic player and how Shibuno played (both in attitude and pace) as well is super refreshing. Golf eh?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Just finished watching the recording. What a tournament!

Unfortunately I was unable to avoid hearing the result before I watched because Shibuno's win was all over the Japanese morning TV news, but it was still great watching eve though I knew the result.

Salas had an incredible final round, as did Jin Young Ko. With so many players pushing it right to the end, it made for a fantastic tournament. While I'd like to see it return to a links course (Troon next year), I think Woburn was a great venue with many memorable holes.

I'm interested to see how Ashleigh Buhai progresses. I thought she also performed well in the final group, hitting some great wedge shots but not quite getting her putter hot enough.

A few tidbits from the Japanese commentary:

Hinako Shibuno's blood type is AB (so Japanese to mention this!).

She said she went for the green on 12 because she'd regret it if she didn't.

On her putt on the final hole, she was thinking "Hole it or 3-putt".

She played softball until Junior High school. She was a pitcher but batted let-handed. Hisako Higuchi (Japan's last major winner) thought that might be a factor in her great balance through the swing.

• Like 1

Yeah, Hinako's decision to go for the green on the driveable par 4 12th was borderline insane. She was a few inches away from throwing it all away.

Gotta ask, why did Jin Young hit 3 wood on the 18th? I know there's a bunker on the left that comes into play, but she knows she needs birdie. Lizette hit first, and piped one down the middle. She's going to make par at worst. Jin Young wound up hitting a 5 iron, and came up short of the top tier.

• Like 1

Congrats to Hinako Shibuno on a great 1st Major and win, she wobbled on the weekend a bit but was able to tear apart the back 9 all week. I felt really bad for Lizette, that putt on 18 is gonna sting for a while. Morgan Pressel played vwey well too. SHP might have to kick the butts of her playing partners on round 1 on the 18th green, so the LPGA will fear her again lol. What can you say about Jin Young, she's just in complete control of her game right now, no longer any doubt who the best player on the LPGA really is. Ariya had another solid event but I think she needs a new transmission, cause she has no 5th gear anymore. Lucky had to be kicking hersrlf after the 11th and 12th, she had a great chance up til then. It was a great event and a vcery compelling finish.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > How fun was that!? That was entertaining as all heck. Cinderella for the win with the lovely smile. A perfect finish to a very unexpected winner. The big question of course is whether she'll accept a card on the LPGA next season.?

> > >

> > > Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

> > >

> > > Solid week for Ashleigh. I don't think anyone thought she was going to win this thing, but she played a lot better than expected.

> > >

> > > Jin Young is a worthy #1. A win would have been the cherry on top of the sundae, but a 1 and 3 in consecutive majors is crazy good.

> > >

> > > What a great weekend by Morgan. Just when you're about to write a player out of it, she shows that she still has heart.

> > >

> > > Sung Hyun? 'Just don't understand it. Can't point a finger at the weather today. All aspects of her game seemed off today, starting with a balky driver that wanted to go left.

> > >

> > > Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

> > >

> > > No idea how Celine doesn't get picked for the European Solheim Cup team. She's had a solid year.

> > >

> > > OK, once again I want to see the WBO played on a links course. However, credit to Woburn for an excellent set up, and some great golf.

> > >

> >

> > It seemed like JYK hit far more 3 metals (like 18) than Salas....when driver was hit , she was ahead by a good piece

>

> Yeah, you're right. I watched the coverage again starting at the 11th hole, and it appeared that Jin Young was hitting 3 wood on most driving holes. Lizette did outdrive her by ~10 yds on one hole where they both hit driver.

Jin Young also probably out drove her on the 7th by 30 yards, she got a hold of one and Julie said it was hit about 290

• Like 1

Hinako's reaction when she sunk the winning putt was priceless. I can't recall a player laughing after winning their first major.

• Like 1

> @Stooch said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > How fun was that!? That was entertaining as all heck. Cinderella for the win with the lovely smile. A perfect finish to a very unexpected winner. The big question of course is whether she'll accept a card on the LPGA next season.?

> > > >

> > > > Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

> > > >

> > > > Solid week for Ashleigh. I don't think anyone thought she was going to win this thing, but she played a lot better than expected.

> > > >

> > > > Jin Young is a worthy #1. A win would have been the cherry on top of the sundae, but a 1 and 3 in consecutive majors is crazy good.

> > > >

> > > > What a great weekend by Morgan. Just when you're about to write a player out of it, she shows that she still has heart.

> > > >

> > > > Sung Hyun? 'Just don't understand it. Can't point a finger at the weather today. All aspects of her game seemed off today, starting with a balky driver that wanted to go left.

> > > >

> > > > Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

> > > >

> > > > No idea how Celine doesn't get picked for the European Solheim Cup team. She's had a solid year.

> > > >

> > > > OK, once again I want to see the WBO played on a links course. However, credit to Woburn for an excellent set up, and some great golf.

> > > >

> > >

> > > It seemed like JYK hit far more 3 metals (like 18) than Salas....when driver was hit , she was ahead by a good piece

> >

> > Yeah, you're right. I watched the coverage again starting at the 11th hole, and it appeared that Jin Young was hitting 3 wood on most driving holes. Lizette did outdrive her by ~10 yds on one hole where they both hit driver.

>

> Jin Young also probably out drove her on the 7th by 30 yards, she got a hold of one and Julie said it was hit about 290

That's true, but Jin Young was playing the right side, and trying to go for the green in two. Lizette played the more conservative left side, and I believe she hit 3 wood.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > How fun was that!? That was entertaining as all heck. Cinderella for the win with the lovely smile. A perfect finish to a very unexpected winner. The big question of course is whether she'll accept a card on the LPGA next season.?

> > > > >

> > > > > Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

> > > > >

> > > > > Solid week for Ashleigh. I don't think anyone thought she was going to win this thing, but she played a lot better than expected.

> > > > >

> > > > > Jin Young is a worthy #1. A win would have been the cherry on top of the sundae, but a 1 and 3 in consecutive majors is crazy good.

> > > > >

> > > > > What a great weekend by Morgan. Just when you're about to write a player out of it, she shows that she still has heart.

> > > > >

> > > > > Sung Hyun? 'Just don't understand it. Can't point a finger at the weather today. All aspects of her game seemed off today, starting with a balky driver that wanted to go left.

> > > > >

> > > > > Can we say that Carlota did Carlota things today? A -2 round isn't bad, but when the leaders are 5 to 7 under par, 2 under isn't getting it done. The shank into the hospitality suites on the 18th was nuts. The par save was better.

> > > > >

> > > > > No idea how Celine doesn't get picked for the European Solheim Cup team. She's had a solid year.

> > > > >

> > > > > OK, once again I want to see the WBO played on a links course. However, credit to Woburn for an excellent set up, and some great golf.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > It seemed like JYK hit far more 3 metals (like 18) than Salas....when driver was hit , she was ahead by a good piece

> > >

> > > Yeah, you're right. I watched the coverage again starting at the 11th hole, and it appeared that Jin Young was hitting 3 wood on most driving holes. Lizette did outdrive her by ~10 yds on one hole where they both hit driver.

> >

> > Jin Young also probably out drove her on the 7th by 30 yards, she got a hold of one and Julie said it was hit about 290

>

> That's true, but Jin Young was playing the right side, and trying to go for the green in two. Lizette played the more conservative left side, and I believe she hit 3 wood.

Yeah. I think cause all par 5's were set up as 3 shot holes for the most part, lots of people were using 3 woods and if then Par 5's were the measuring holes, it could explain some low driving distabce stats from some. Brooke average 233 Rnd 1 and 249 Rnd 2 .......... I guess she could have shanked her drives on the measuring hole for 2 days but I think it's most likely due to the use of the 3 wood.

> @Stooch said:

> Lucky had to be kicking hersrlf after the 11th and 12th, she had a great chance up til then.

I was kind of pulling for Lucky6 when the board was 4 people at -13 and she was at -12. Mainly, I thought it would be cool to have her and Jin Young Ko taking two each (with Hanah Green stuck in between at the KPMG PGA). I don't really have a preference between these two, so it was more just keeping things balanced (and the next Korean stars having arrived if there was any doubt) vs. just the Jin Young Ko show taking off. In the end, Lucky6 would have needed to shoot a 30 or 31 coming in to have a chance so it probably wasn't going to happen either way.

What a week, spent the week at Woburn watching (only 40mins from my house).

For me Lizette Salas is a true ambassador for golf and really epitomises what is required to grow the game especially for young girls. On Thursday my wife and I took my daughter to the event since she's 11 and just getting into golf. In the afternoon we found ourselves following Salas since she and my wife are from very close to each other in Cali. She played fantastically and at one point while waiting on a tee to play stopped to talk to the three of us but mainly my daughter which made her day. On Friday we returned to Woburn early so that my daughter could follow Salas for the whole round. Even though she was only a few off the lead there was no support for her except us. On the par 3 6th she stopped to once again talk to my daughter who she remembered from the previous day, she signed a hat and ball for my daughter and thanked her for her support. Later that round she waved to us while walking down a fairway and at the end of the round high-fived my daughter as she walked off the green.

In my opinion how she acted is exactly what needs to happen to encourage young girls to get into golf. Sadly for my daughter she wasn't able to go at the weekend but my wife and I continued our support of her for the event and were heart broken for her not to to win, however Hinako played amazing.

My main take away from this week is that my daughter went to the event with an interest in golf but could have easily walked away unimpressed but due to the actions of Salas I believe her fire for golf is truly lit.

• Like 2

> @Argonne69 said:

> Hinako's reaction when she sunk the winning putt was priceless. I can't recall a player laughing after winning their first major.

When you think about it, it's ridiculous. She was just enjoying the moment. To be fair, she hammered that putt, if she missed she'd probably have 10 feet coming back. Maybe she knew it and when it dropped, she had to laugh. Cinderella indeed.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

> @Jedaigeki said:

> What a week, spent the week at Woburn watching (only 40mins from my house).

> For me Lizette Salas is a true ambassador for golf and really epitomises what is required to grow the game especially for young girls. On Thursday my wife and I took my daughter to the event since she's 11 and just getting into golf. In the afternoon we found ourselves following Salas since she and my wife are from very close to each other in Cali. She played fantastically and at one point while waiting on a tee to play stopped to talk to the three of us but mainly my daughter which made her day. On Friday we returned to Woburn early so that my daughter could follow Salas for the whole round. Even though she was only a few off the lead there was no support for her except us. On the par 3 6th she stopped to once again talk to my daughter who she remembered from the previous day, she signed a hat and ball for my daughter and thanked her for her support. Later that round she waved to us while walking down a fairway and at the end of the round high-fived my daughter as she walked off the green.

> In my opinion how she acted is exactly what needs to happen to encourage young girls to get into golf. Sadly for my daughter she wasn't able to go at the weekend but my wife and I continued our support of her for the event and were heart broken for her not to to win, however Hinako played amazing.

> My main take away from this week is that my daughter went to the event with an interest in golf but could have easily walked away unimpressed but due to the actions of Salas**_ I believe her fire for golf is truly lit_**.

And this is what it's all about. Every golfer knows this deep down on every tour. It's easy to get caught up in the job part of it, but the LPGA just "gets it."

> @Argonne69 said:

> Heartbreaker for Lizette. For a player who is so prone to fading on Sunday, she play superbly. I was very impressed with her driving. Jin Young is not a short knocker, but Lizette was past her most of the day. 'Can't ask for much more than seven under, but oh that missed birdie on 18 was costly. 'Glad to see her have a fine week.

>

You could tell, she wanted it BAD. I've never seen her play as well as she did yesterday.