2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 AIG Women's British Open Aug 1 - 4

> @18majors said

> In Gee kept pace with Kristen with -3 front nine but lost track in the back nine. Still it's a decent round with only one bogey.

You have more faith in some of these players than I do. They are still my favorites but I'm not expecting much at this point.

Unfortunately, I haven't latched on to any of the newer ones yet. Their games are amazing but I just haven't found them as likeable yet. I guess I'll keep cheering for Minjee for now.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said

> > In Gee kept pace with Kristen with -3 front nine but lost track in the back nine. Still it's a decent round with only one bogey.

> You have more faith in some of these players than I do. They are still my favorites but I'm not expecting much at this point.

>

> Unfortunately, I haven't latched on to any of the newer ones yet. Their games are amazing but I just haven't found them as likeable yet. I guess I'll keep cheering for Minjee for now.

>

You need to check out Nelly Korda; you’ll like her.

Nelly is a first generation American; she possesses many of the old world charms.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > It looks like it could be a wet week. Showers and t-storms forecast at times for Wednesday through Sunday.

> >

> > Would it be a British Open if there wasn't lol

>

> Yeah, but it's not a links course. I know there are tons of wonderful parkland courses in the UK, but I can't really get excited about them.

+1

> @"AKL Kiwi" said:

> Another tournament and another chance for a young player as Laura Davies takes up her right to deny someone a spot in the field while the old duck goes +10, +3 cut and DFL after her +12 cut last week. Well at least it saved our Lydia from the honour! Perhaps she should have a talk to Juli Inkster who I admire for what she is doing for the game rather than taking up her rights.

> I just can't see Lydia ever making it back into the top level again at the moment not that I feel sorry for her after the way some of her caddies have been dealt with especially Jason Hamilton who I think was and did an excellent job. Then their is Callaway who supported her so well only to be dumped for the extra money PXG were offering. Womans golf in New Zealand has also suffered as a result of Lydia's demise as sponsors ran away and we have not had a Womans Open here since 2017 with 2020 only a posability. Lydia's connection to us here is minimal now but I guess she will be representing us at the summer olympics next year...the only way she will qualify to be there. Her media coverage here now is also minimal as expected with her current form...

Laura Davies isn't taking anyone's spot. She's there on merit. She could play the WBO and Evian pretty much for the rest of her life as a former OOM winner Juli is still playing, limited but still playing but she isn't taking spots either.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > Well it will take a miracle but at least these players have a great pairing to make a move tomorrow. If either Brooke or Minjee are gonna flip a switch and make a move, they have a good pairing to do it. Both are friends, competitors and are pace horses for each other to go low. Nothing worse for the top pro's to get paired with the young player or vet who is punching above their weight class, who shoots a 78 on Saturday to screw up your mojo. Now that I mentioned this both are gonna shoot 76 tomorrow lol

> Hope they can both play well. I was wondering if Minjee would step up this week after seeing a countrywoman win a major and her teammate hoist #2 for the season. Brooke adding her name to the list of players with two would be good as well.

>

> I'm actually a bit disappointed vs. late last night (Asia time). Never wish any bad will on anyone but a lot will depend what the leader does (absent someone going crazy for two days in a row). Had the lead been -8 (or even -9) this was looking like an amazing shootout over the weekend.

They've got nice cards so far if this was the US Open or a links course with 30 mph winds.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > Well it will take a miracle but at least these players have a great pairing to make a move tomorrow. If either Brooke or Minjee are gonna flip a switch and make a move, they have a good pairing to do it. Both are friends, competitors and are pace horses for each other to go low. Nothing worse for the top pro's to get paired with the young player or vet who is punching above their weight class, who shoots a 78 on Saturday to screw up your mojo. Now that I mentioned this both are gonna shoot 76 tomorrow lol

> > Hope they can both play well. I was wondering if Minjee would step up this week after seeing a countrywoman win a major and her teammate hoist #2 for the season. Brooke adding her name to the list of players with two would be good as well.

> >

> > I'm actually a bit disappointed vs. late last night (Asia time). Never wish any bad will on anyone but a lot will depend what the leader does (absent someone going crazy for two days in a row). Had the lead been -8 (or even -9) this was looking like an amazing shootout over the weekend.

> They've got nice cards so far if this was the US Open or a links course with 30 mph winds.

It was always wishful thinking, both seem to be grinding with their games right now, that doesn't usually change on Saturday and Sunday.

> @legitimategolf said:

> I went out for Korean BBQ last night, had me a bottle of the Hite Extra Cold beer that Jin Young endorses. Advertising in women's golf works. Last year I was deciding between an LG and Samsung TV. I went with the LG since Samsung does not sponsor any golfers that I like, whereas LG does.

You're an advertiser's dream lol

> @Kaysquare said:

> So glad Judy Rankin is announcing. I simply cannot take any more of Karen Stupples. She never shuts up! I heard Judy say that Laura Davies "may" be entering the announcing field soon.....hope this is true, Laura is an absolute hoot.

>

Britons are usually pretty eloquent. Not Stupples. She does talk a lot, but then also struggles to articulate a thought clearly. I hate to say this but she sort of sucks at broadcasting.

> @Stooch said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > Well it will take a miracle but at least these players have a great pairing to make a move tomorrow. If either Brooke or Minjee are gonna flip a switch and make a move, they have a good pairing to do it. Both are friends, competitors and are pace horses for each other to go low. Nothing worse for the top pro's to get paired with the young player or vet who is punching above their weight class, who shoots a 78 on Saturday to screw up your mojo. Now that I mentioned this both are gonna shoot 76 tomorrow lol

> > > Hope they can both play well. I was wondering if Minjee would step up this week after seeing a countrywoman win a major and her teammate hoist #2 for the season. Brooke adding her name to the list of players with two would be good as well.

> > >

> > > I'm actually a bit disappointed vs. late last night (Asia time). Never wish any bad will on anyone but a lot will depend what the leader does (absent someone going crazy for two days in a row). Had the lead been -8 (or even -9) this was looking like an amazing shootout over the weekend.

> > They've got nice cards so far if this was the US Open or a links course with 30 mph winds.

>

> It was always wishful thinking, both seem to be grinding with their games right now, that doesn't usually change on Saturday and Sunday.

Brooke doesn’t seem to drive the balls with authority like earlier; do you have any insight?

I understand golfers go up and down all the time, but this ‘s her bread and butter.

Although a Brit I don't share the enthusiasm for home players who never seem to be quite the finished product.Georgia Hall looks to be in control of herself and appears far happier with her dad on the bag,local favourite Charley Hull knows the course backwards but had to rely on some good fortune when her swing went a bit off yesterday.J Y Ko is so impressive,such a wonderful golf swing,similarly with Shibuno Hinako who seems to be enjoying herself,I was disappointed that neither Suzuki Ai or Hataoka Nasa did not perform better on a course that I thought might have suited them and Lydia Ko must be wondering what to do next.

Should be a great weekend,it's a very fair golf course so the cream will no doubt rise to the top (Jin Young currently -3 today after 8),very difficult to predict a winner.

> @18majors said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > Well it will take a miracle but at least these players have a great pairing to make a move tomorrow. If either Brooke or Minjee are gonna flip a switch and make a move, they have a good pairing to do it. Both are friends, competitors and are pace horses for each other to go low. Nothing worse for the top pro's to get paired with the young player or vet who is punching above their weight class, who shoots a 78 on Saturday to screw up your mojo. Now that I mentioned this both are gonna shoot 76 tomorrow lol

> > > > Hope they can both play well. I was wondering if Minjee would step up this week after seeing a countrywoman win a major and her teammate hoist #2 for the season. Brooke adding her name to the list of players with two would be good as well.

> > > >

> > > > I'm actually a bit disappointed vs. late last night (Asia time). Never wish any bad will on anyone but a lot will depend what the leader does (absent someone going crazy for two days in a row). Had the lead been -8 (or even -9) this was looking like an amazing shootout over the weekend.

> > > They've got nice cards so far if this was the US Open or a links course with 30 mph winds.

> >

> > It was always wishful thinking, both seem to be grinding with their games right now, that doesn't usually change on Saturday and Sunday.

>

> Brooke doesn’t seem to drive the balls with authority like earlier; do you have any insight?

> I understand golfers go up and down all the time, but this ‘s her bread and butter.

I'm not concerned with her driving it's her iron and wedge play that she's been really inconsistent with all year

First time I'm grtting the chance to watch this week. The crowds are impressive on TV. After ANWA earlier this year, this is probably the next best attended women's golf event and it's on network television.

There have been WBO's that look like no one is there beside friends and family following the players.

I wonder if the crowds when the event is closer to larger metro areas may factor into future course selections? People will travel for The Open but not so much for the WBO. Perhaps a return to Sunningdale is in the future.

> @Stooch said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > I went out for Korean BBQ last night, had me a bottle of the Hite Extra Cold beer that Jin Young endorses. Advertising in women's golf works. Last year I was deciding between an LG and Samsung TV. I went with the LG since Samsung does not sponsor any golfers that I like, whereas LG does.

>

> You're an advertiser's dream lol

Welcome to the age of persuasion -- when you're under the influence! :wink: