2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Do you know your spin rates with D2 ?? ... Were you happy with that launch ??

As always, it'll depend on how long you'll play it and what you like. I like heavy shafts like the SC 95x in a 905r but the swing weight is still manageable at 44.5". The swing weight with the L4V would be quite a bit higher than d-2 especially at 45" or over unless you can be a hold of a V2 CB. :)

so you mean that, 1) the l4v isn't as spinny as the d2

2) you think that a v2 85x with the L4V X 9 deg would be a good combination for me??

Thanx a lot dude

Hollllddddd on 1 sec ...

Is your 76X a blindbore - or full bore install

If you use 86X with a L4V at 45 inches - that is a decent weight increase ... 10 grams on shaft and 6-7 grams on head

I have a different idea - but answer this last tiny question :)

and YES!!!!!!!!!!! the D2 is far spinnier than L4V - head vs head

Just hit my L4VX for the first time at Riverwalk here in San Diego. WoW!! I am bombing it. :) :partytime2::partytime2:

Reshafted with 2008 Rombax 5Z08 stiff tipped 1/2" and length is 45 1/2". I'm not one of the monsters here but have respectable 104-108 SS, smooth tempo, long and relaxed type swing. I like the longer length drivers, gives me a bit more clubhead speed and control not really an issue. I find myself reallly going after this thing though, like I can hit it as hard as I want. Swingweight came out to D-9, which I thought was way too heavy, but the more I hit it so far that's not a bother. I may cut it down later if control becomes an issue.

Those of you non-monsters may want to give the Rombax 5Z08 a look for this head. Its 58 gram high kickpoint/tip stiff shaft with Rombax Triax and Kevlar reinforced tip section. Of course Fujikura makes heavier versions.But that big kick you feel at the bottom with the stock Diamana is gone. I'm getting a lower, more penetrating ball flight with the Rombax Z, like an arrow shot from a power bow kinda flight.

Compared to my TM Burner TP Tour Issue with AXIV shaft, the ball speed off the club is noticeably higher and obvious greater carry with better roll, although I will verify this later on a launch monitor. Mishits definitely go longer with the L4VX, no launch monitor needed to see that.

Do I install the v2 75 x or the v2 85 x :)

We'll for me the 85x is a tour only shaft and the 75x is a retail shaft. If you have access to a tour 75 than that would be a good combo. If on the other hand you're gonna play it shorter than 45", the 85 would be good. You won't have access to a launch monitor before you make the final decision?

Need help. I purchased the L4V F 10 degree, had a 60 gram protopype S flex installed at 45-1/2". I am hitting absolute moon balls with this thing, I have never hit a driver so high. My swing speed is 105-108 somewhat smooth. I hit my Titleist 905R with a YS6+ Stiff lower and straighter. Any ideas why?

I have the same shaft at the same length because I want to leave room to tip it if I felt it needed it. How high are you teeing it up? The L4V head seems to perform better (less spin and better launch angle) when I tee the ball up lower.

Scott

Need help. I purchased the L4V F 10 degree, had a 60 gram protopype S flex installed at 45-1/2". I am hitting absolute moon balls with this thing, I have never hit a driver so high. My swing speed is 105-108 somewhat smooth. I hit my Titleist 905R with a YS6+ Stiff lower and straighter. Any ideas why?

Slammer, check the actual loft of the face. These are retail clubs that aren't built to as tight tolerances as the tour issued clubs and your actual loft could be much higher than the 10* that the club says. For me a 905R with a YS6 would be like hitting a lob wedge.

Well at the heated ranges here in Michigan off the rubber tee, the bottom of the ball is level with top of the crown. I will try it on a lower tee though. One other question, it seems to leek right on me. Could that be that I am not loading this shaft, or I hope the tee height? I am now wondering if this shaft is too much for me to hit. If it matters, handicap of 6.9.

Well at the heated ranges here in Michigan off the rubber tee, the bottom of the ball is level with top of the crown. I will try it on a lower tee though. One other question, it seems to leek right on me. Could that be that I am not loading this shaft, or I hope the tee height? I am now wondering if this shaft is too much for me to hit. If it matters, handicap of 6.9.

This is just what I think but if it was too much for you, you wouldn't be able to get it off the ground if it were too much for you. You may not be used to the open face. That's also why your balls are going higher. Your open face puts more loft on the face. Try to turn the face over and draw a few and see what happens to the flight.

Try putting 2/3rd of the ball below the crown. With the ProtoPype, the left side of the fairway is pretty much out of play for me. I am still working on turning it over more....

Scott

We'll for me the 85x is a tour only shaft and the 75x is a retail shaft. If you have access to a tour 75 than that would be a good combo. If on the other hand you're gonna play it shorter than 45", the 85 would be good. You won't have access to a launch monitor before you make the final decision?

What do you mean by a tour only shaft I don't understand what you mean sorry......can you explain

Thanx big jess

Slammer, check the actual loft of the face. These are retail clubs that aren't built to as tight tolerances as the tour issued clubs and your actual loft could be much higher than the 10* that the club says. For me a 905R with a YS6 would be like hitting a lob wedge.

I question whether retail clubs are built with wildly loose tolerances. I see this idea thrown around often with loft. As I understand it the oems label their clubfaces less lofted than they actually are because more loft often helps a golfer hit the ball farther. So a club marked 10* might actually be manufactured at 11.75*. But all the 10* clubs would be measured at 11.75*, not one at 10*, another at 11* and another at 12.5*. Perhaps I am mistaken. If someone could clear this up I would appreciate it. Thanks.

What do you mean by a tour only shaft I don't understand what you mean sorry......can you explain

Thanx big jess

And no I don't have acess to a Launch monitor and it sucks!!!!!

Well as a Titleist staffer you'll have access to shafts that won't be available to a lot of people and the V2 86x is one of them (along with the 96X). On the other hand anyone can go order a 76x from their local golf store and IMO they play differently. The tour shafts are more stable and play with an overall stiffer profile than the retail. But if the 76x that you will have is a tour then it should be fine for this head but there really is no way for me and you to know exactly unless you hit them both on an LM, otherwise we are both really guessing and that game works only a small percentage of the time.

I question whether retail clubs are built with wildly loose tolerances. I see this idea thrown around often with loft. As I understand it the oems label their clubfaces less lofted than they actually are because more loft often helps a golfer hit the ball farther. So a club marked 10* might actually be manufactured at 11.75*. But all the 10* clubs would be measured at 11.75*, not one at 10*, another at 11* and another at 12.5*. Perhaps I am mistaken. If someone could clear this up I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The story I've heard what from a guy that worked at Golfsmith and was bored so he measured the faces of a few R7 425 TP heads and they were all over the place. 10,10.3,10.75 etc. It may not be true of all brands but there is a variance. That's why tour van's measure their heads so they know exactly what the measurement is and it's never what it says on the club but at least they know to the 10th of a degree what it really is. It may not be the case for the mentioned L4V but it's worth at least a check.

The story I've heard what from a guy that worked at Golfsmith and was bored so he measured the faces of a few R7 425 TP heads and they were all over the place. 10,10.3,10.75 etc. It may not be true of all brands but there is a variance. That's why tour van's measure their heads so they know exactly what the measurement is and it's never what it says on the club but at least they know to the 10th of a degree what it really is. It may not be the case for the mentioned L4V but it's worth at least a check.

If this driver is over a measured loft of 10.5 degree on a marked 10 degree head the s*** will fly. At a price of $399.00 with a piece of crap shaft that you have to spend more money on to get RIGHT this is is bull @&*t. Right now I am really upset about this, with that being said if Cobra puts out this kind of crap they should be ashamed. So maybe I should bye a tour head for an extra $______ to get a head that measures what is stamped on the club. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this driver is over a measured loft of 10.5 degree on a marked 10 degree head the s*** will fly. At a price of $399.00 with a piece of crap shaft that you have to spend more money on to get RIGHT this is is bull @&*t. Right now I am really upset about this, with that being said if Cobra puts out this kind of crap they should be ashamed. So maybe I should bye a tour head for an extra $______ to get a head that measures what is stamped on the club. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got to leave SOME room for tolerance. 10.5 would be acceptable IMO. If you're hitting moon balls and it's because of loft then it would have to be 12* or more. On the other hand what you should worry about is if your spin is high or not. Moon balls with low spin just means LOOOOOONG carry.

I believe all of the large oem's practice this mislabeling. Ping may be an exception if you specifically request a certain loft the pingwrx. People would order lofts that were too low fore their swing speed. Someone got the idea that if you gave them a 12* driver that fit their swing better they would hit it further and buy that club. But if they knew it was 12* they would not buy it. Other manufacturers followed suit. I believe Tom Wishon wrote about this in one of his books.

Most manufacturer's tolerance is 1 degree in either direction. I have an L4V X 9 degree and the head measures at 10.1

I am trying to learn to like this particular head, but I think I will be getting another one

I finally got another monitor session in with this combo and these were the results.

L4V X 9 degree VS Proto 65X no tipping

Ball Speed: 155 ( It was 30 and windy so I know I wasn't up to where I normally am)

Launch average: 15.8

Spin average: 2958 rpm

Needless to say I need to bring the launch and the spin down. I know the deal with the Pype and whiteboard, but is the 10.1 degrees of loft to much that the shaft won't matter? I think the whiteboard could drop the spin 500-600 rpm with the proper tipping, but will it bring the launch down a degree or two.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

I believe all of the large oem's practice this mislabeling. Ping may be an exception if you specifically request a certain loft the pingwrx. People would order lofts that were too low fore their swing speed. Someone got the idea that if you gave them a 12* driver that fit their swing better they would hit it further and buy that club. But if they knew it was 12* they would not buy it. Other manufacturers followed suit. I believe Tom Wishon wrote about this in one of his books.

Big Jess--- when i say moon balls i mean 7,8 iron apex. When I first hit this today into a grey sky(which was hard to see anything) after hitting the 905 I couldn't see it, come to find out I wasn't looking high enough. After 5 top-flite range balls go out I asked a guy next to me to stay behind me and tell me where this thing is going. Today was the first day of testing, but so far I am perplexed!!!