Posting Score For Temp Greens

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.1/3 states that your local authorized association should determine how temporary greens are to be handled. If there were no decision made or known, I would be posting actual scores (max NDB) for holes 1-13 and then posting NET par on 14-18 (IOW, post a bogey on a stroke hole, par on a non-stroke hole, etc). For you your stroke holes are hole handicaps 1-12 (as you stated).

The above is wrong and based on the old (USGA) requirement of 13 completed holes - not the new 14. The OP can only post a 9 hole score.

dave

I think there’s been a misrepresentation of this question. The player played all 18 holes. 14 of those holes were temp greens.

It depends whether your “authorized association” feels you should post or not. If they feel you should post the score, post the score you made even with the temp greens.

“2.1/3 – Returning Scores for Handicap Purposes While Playing on Temporary Greens or Tees

The Authorized Association should determine whether scores made under temporary course conditions are acceptable for handicap purposes. The Authorized Association should also determine whether a temporary modification to the Course Rating and Slope Rating is required to reflect the temporary changes (see Appendix G).”

Another way around this, if you know the greens are temporary, is to play the hole to the green, then pick up. What we usually play is maximum 2-putt when on the green. So you try to make it, then pick up. For cap purposes, this is virtually the same as just picking up when you get on the temp green. Once you pick up, your score is MLS up to NDB.

So to answer your question, if the authorized association felt the course is good enough for posting purposes, post it. The CR/slope could be modified by the loss of yardage in Appendix G.

Even if the authorized association didn’t authorize posting, I imagine playing the hole then picking up with MLS up to NDB would still get you a legal postable score.

But usually, if the course is open, and it’s your posting season, post the score. When we have temp greens, our club usually puts out a modified CR/Slope at the front desk for posting purposes.

FWIW, the only time that I saw temp greens actually addressed by an authority (2 greens out for about 6 weeks), they allowed play on the 2 holes using temp greens but created temporary CR/Rating numbers based on 16 holes (don't count scores on the 2 holes). Similar to taking net par.

Every temp green that I have ever seen (not many, I admit) was well in front of the normal green, so MLS should be done with modified CR/Rating numbers in those cases.

dave

ps. Back to the question asked and (speculation on my part) the circumstances (which is no local association judgment is available), I would post the round under the assumption that the temp green holes were holes not played (under the RoG).

In the OP's case it was five greens.

For the case that I posted (which was not my home course so my understanding is limited) course length was not the issue. Not having puttable greens was the issue from what I was told. I am not sure exactly how the new CR and Rating was determined. Just leaving out the CR and Rating contribution of 2 holes is a bit iffy (if that is indeed what happened - I don't know).

And the CSS methodology does make some automatic adjustments that are not exactly available to the US - not around at all until this year. The PCC thing is not intended to adjust for these kinds of issues.

dave

As I understand things, PCC is intended to address over-all course conditions, rather than accommodate some single hole issues. So maybe if all the greens were temps. Regardless I would be shocked to find that a set of conditions that causes a "1 stroke worse than yesterday" in CSS would also cause a +1 in PCC.

But I truly do not know.

dave

Thanks all for the replies. My only purpose for tracking my handicap is to monitor my personal improvement. I don't play competitions, etc., where a handicap really matters. For that reason, I've posted as I interpreted according to Golf Canada. This results in a higher score than if I had posted as played, and one that I'm personally more comfortable with. As played would lower my handicap further but I don't think it would be justified.

• 3 years later...

We have 1 frozen green par 4 (345yds) changed to temp par 3. (135yds)We understand the slope, rating and par changes by the USGA .the question is the par 4 is handicapped at 2. Obviously the par 3 is not a 2 handicap now. Our handicap chairman changed the handicaps on the back 9 to accommodate this. The par 3 is now 18 handicap and all 8 remaining holes changed by 2. Is this right ?

10 hours ago, Davino said:

We have 1 frozen green par 4 (345yds) changed to temp par 3. (135yds)We understand the slope, rating and par changes by the USGA .the question is the par 4 is handicapped at 2. Obviously the par 3 is not a 2 handicap now. Our handicap chairman changed the handicaps on the back 9 to accommodate this. The par 3 is now 18 handicap and all 8 remaining holes changed by 2. Is this right ?

The Stroke Index allocation is entirely a matter for the course/club committee.

Although there is a recommendation by the R&A/USGA in the WHS manual it is not compulsory.