Pencil bag suggestions

Currently when I play with 9-14 clubs I use a Mizuno BR-D2, but it is too much bag for carrying a minimalist set of ~6 clubs. I am looking to buy a single strap pencil bag, something along the lines of the old ping pencil bags circa late 90s (that can still be found on ebay):

s-l1600.jpgTrouble is that I have never actually used one, but I know they were very popular among the dawn patrol speed walkers at the country club I worked at as a kid.

Anyone have any personal experience carrying a bag like this or can recommend a similar designed new bag?

• Thanks 1

Ping Moonlite is an excellent option with two straps so can be worn single strap old school style or with the two more modern backpack style. Titleist makes 2 different pencil bags, one standard with a single strap and then a premium option that has two little feet on the bottom to keep your clubs out of the grass when you set the bag down. Jones makes some sunday walker bags and the "Cadillac" of sunday bags would be the Mackenzie.

• Like 1

I've used pencil bags as my main bag for the past 20 years and like to carry a full set and half a dozen or so balls.

My first two bags lasted the best part of 18 years between them. The first was a callaway fabric type pencil bag, nothing fancy single strap no dividers all fabric bag and it lasted for years with no issues. Replaced this after about 10 years with a single strap nike bag which lasted the best part of 8 years.

In the last two years I started off with a Mizuno Scratch pencil bag. This was dreadful and the carry handle came away from the bag after less than 6 months as it couldn't deal with the weight of a full set. I then bought a Taylormade Quiver which was just as bad and needed extensive repairs after just one season. Two bags for 18 years vs two bags in 18 months.....

I put a post on about pencil bags last year and my view is in the view of saving weight and making them more gimmicky, good pencil bags are very hard to find. They are nowhere near as durable as the bags of a decade ago. Or, most likely as carry bags/stand bags have become lighter there is just not the market anymore for good pencil bags.

Almost everyone who responded to my post last year said Jones were the real deal for pencil bags but can't get them in UK so I went with a bigger carry bag.

I would go with Jones or try and find something like the below.

If you find a good one let me know!

Cheers

pencil-bag-jpg.jpg

Check out the Seamus fescue project bags then. They are pretty expensive for what they are, but are exactly like what you are explaining. They are pretty good for a half set. I used one with like 4 clubs when I played The Cradle at Pinehurst. They are perfect for little sets with few pockets and are very light.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2020 at 3:38 PM, right_to_left said:

I've used pencil bags as my main bag for the past 20 years and like to carry a full set and half a dozen or so balls.

My first two bags lasted the best part of 18 years between them. The first was a callaway fabric type pencil bag, nothing fancy single strap no dividers all fabric bag and it lasted for years with no issues. Replaced this after about 10 years with a single strap nike bag which lasted the best part of 8 years.

In the last two years I started off with a Mizuno Scratch pencil bag. This was dreadful and the carry handle came away from the bag after less than 6 months as it couldn't deal with the weight of a full set. I then bought a Taylormade Quiver which was just as bad and needed extensive repairs after just one season. Two bags for 18 years vs two bags in 18 months.....

I put a post on about pencil bags last year and my view is in the view of saving weight and making them more gimmicky, good pencil bags are very hard to find. They are nowhere near as durable as the bags of a decade ago. Or, most likely as carry bags/stand bags have become lighter there is just not the market anymore for good pencil bags.

Almost everyone who responded to my post last year said Jones were the real deal for pencil bags but can't get them in UK so I went with a bigger carry bag.

I would go with Jones or try and find something like the below.

If you find a good one let me know!

Cheers

pencil-bag-jpg.jpg

Checkout RetroReborn on Etsy. They’re out of the UK....Surrey I think. Β I just bought a retro looking leather pencil bag from them. Can’t speak to quality yet but it looks coolI just bought a retro looking leather pencil bag from them. Can’t speak to quality yet but it looks cool

These have a stand but are otherwise very compact.

Β 

Sunday Golf

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time."Β 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5WΒ w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4,Β 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Titleist and Ping have been making good sunday bags for years. Β New models are available as well as tons of old stock on ebay. Β Mizuno Scratch Sacs were good bags as well. Β If you want to go high end customization, head to Mackenzie or Seamus. Β 

Edited by shortset

Headin' to the mall, to get me a short set

• 2 weeks later...

Still have the Ping bag you have pictured. Thick canvas and lasts forever.

i now carry a Ping Moonlite -with the doubLe straps and 12 clubs it is a fantastic choice for walking my home track. Also had a Titleist carry bag- the mouth on the Titleist is slightly larger, but i would recommend the Moonlite. (Can’t go wrong it’s either one)

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

spacer.png

Β 

I gotΒ one of these for free last year and decided to give it a try. It's a bitΒ small and tight for a fullΒ set, but for the number of clubs that you mentioned it's just right. I play rounds with just my irons sometimes, to keep the ball in play and practice other distances than what I usually get when using driver and hybrids from the tee on par 4's and 5's.

If you use a range finder/laser finder it might be a good idea to have a case for protection since there aren't any designated pockets for it, but if you play by using a GPS-watch it's the simplest way to play. It's a quick thing to lift up and start walking with no standsΒ sticking out or things getting caught.

I played three rounds with it last year, but I'm thinking of using it more this year since it was really light and easy to use. I'll probably have to leave two or three clubs at home if I use it more frequently, but that "sacrifice" seems ok. I've used it for my practice sessions during winter and it will be used again during summer. Setting it down in the mud during early spring rounds seems unnecessary to do though...

Edited by JBN
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, Jarlaxle said:

These have a stand but are otherwise very compact.

Β 

Sunday Golf

I just posted a review of the Loma. This would be perfect for you.Β 

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 HybridΒ 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PWΒ Β 
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3Β - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

• 2 months later...

https://www.amazon.com/Champkey-Lightweight-Golf-Stand-Bag/dp/B08395H4WF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=175ZJGB0Y7WEK&keywords=champkey%2Bgolf%2Bbag&qid=1651080866&sprefix=champkey%2Bgolf%2Bbag%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-5&th=1

Β 

I actually just got this bag delivered yesterday.Β  My home course is a 9 hole course and I have a push cart for my full bag but I only use about the same 6-7 clubs there anyway so I decided to pick this up for a cheap experiment so I don't have to lug around my push cart.Β  I'm sure it's not as good as the quality of the Sunday Golf Loma bag but I feel the quality is good enough for about 1/2 the price of the Loma.Β  The pockets are very small but I was able to fit about 9 balls, some tees, divot tool, and a glove which is all I need for my solo twilight rounds at the home 9 hole.Β  I also was able to fit 7 clubs in the bag and have no issues with them getting stuck in the bag.Β  If I decide I like this setup I may end up selling the Champkey for like $20 on marketplace just to recoup some funds and bite the bullet on the Loma as it will likely hold up better over a couple years.Β