Anyone gaming an Aldila NV 15th Anny or 2KXV Green?

KBallStriker

I am a former NV player in college and remember hitting that in a Titleist driver really well overall. I really like tip stiff, lower torque shafts and have been struggling bad with 3 wood for years. I have a little out to in trap swing that is great for irons, but not so great for optimizing drivers/fairways. My current gamer 3 wood is a 917f3 with a Matrix 8M3 X, but I don't like it. I'm going to build an M2 Tour up and have a HZRDUS Black on order, but the Aldila's have me thinking and even in the driver which is currently an M3 440 with a Kuro Kage Silver 70X. I have read up on the NV 2KXV Green, and the 15th Anny NV Green and wondered if anyone has been gaming either? I see a bunch of the tour guys seemed to like the Blue and Green 2KXV's - any feedback?

D - TM M3 Tour 9*, Kuro Kage TiNi Silver 70x

3W - TM M2 Tour 15*, Aldila Tour Green 85tx

2i - TM P790 UDI, DG 120 X100

Irons - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black (4-PW), DG X100

52* & 56* - Ben Hogan Equalizer Black, DG X100

60* - TM Hi Toe, DG X100 TI

Putter - TM Ardmore 3, Ping Anser, Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Curious to see who chimes in (and what they say) about this topic. Currently gaming a Tour Green 65 (tour stiff) in what I'm using as a 2W. What a great shaft.

I also hit the NV well back in the day, and am thinking of picking up one of the 15th anniversary Green to try.

Update: just ordered a 65TX, so we'll see in a few weeks how this thing compares to the Tour Green, HZRDUS Smoke and Diamana shafts I typically game.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Awesome! I am anxious to hear about the 15th Anny Green and your thoughts. How is the Tour Green? I've also considered that as an option in my 3 wood, but heard it plays "soft" from Aldila when I reached out to them. I also have had success with Diamana shafts like you in the past, so I am looking forward to what you have to say.

My HZRDUS Blacks seems stuck in the USPS system in California with no updates as to when it will come...ugh! I may pull the trigger on an NV Green 2KXV 75x to see what gets here first and then build the other as a backup driver shaft to try.

Can't say enough good things about the Tour Green I have. Its the OG (2012?), not the 2nd-gen (2018?). I like it so much I surfed the 'bay last month and added a backup.

I think it plays softer (smoother?) than earlier generations of Diamana White. I have an 'ahina 60X and a W-series 60S. Both feel stiffer and launch lower than the Tour Green. Specs show torque around 3.1 or 3.2 for the diamanas vs 3.5 for the Tour Green, so that makes sense.

I can step on the Tour Green and unless I come over the top, it won't miss hard left. But I can also swing at 80% and it responds well with a nice baby draw. The diamanas will leak right if I take too much off my swing.

What's interesting is that I added a Diamana DF 60X to try, but it doesn't feel as stable as past generations. Torque is listed at 3.8. I have a post out there regarding this and if anyone else has experienced the same thing - but have gotten no replies. Oh well.

I'll post an update once I get the NV out on the course...

Awesome, thanks for the follow up - I found an 85 TX Tour Green on Ebay that I may put a bid in on. It shows the torque is much lower at that weight (which I am not sure at 2.8 if it will feel like rebar), plus I like the extra weight in the 3w. I am not sure though if it will be too much shaft in a 3 wood though with the TX - may just need to stick it in with very little tipping. I like the fact that you said you can go at it or go 80% and feel comfortable either way - that's what I am looking for in a 3 wood. I am mostly planning to play it off the tee when I need 270ish and straight.

I am a fan of it being Mid/High kick though considering the M2 Tour head I've read is a low bullet head and a really high kick may keep me from launching it more optimally.

Maybe I'll keep the HZRDUS Black for a driver shaft???

I play a W-series 80S in my 3W. I think you'll like the 85TX, at that torque it should feel closer to a Diamana whiteboard. Torque is not the be-all end-all to how a shaft feels and performs, but you know what I mean.

HZRDUS is a good shaft. Currently gaming a 60S Smoke Black in my TS4. Haven't tried the non-smoke version, but my understanding is that they are more stable than the Smoke.

Cool - I will let you know what happens with the Tour Green and let me know about the 15th Anny. Thanks!

Update: Got the 85TX Tour Green on order - really excited to get it put into my M2. I read that the flexes in the X and TX are the same CPM, just torque gets lower in the TX versions.

My HZRDUS Black showed up today and I decided to put it in - really like it so far, but only hit it on the range. The course will tell the whole story.

Definitely agree with what you said, it is very stable and I like the more headweight type feel it provides. I just wish I could get my hands on an 85 gram version...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to pull the hZRDUS and put in the Tour Green 85TX - has the weird rubberized finish and the install left marks on it.  Oh well I guess - will let y'all know if I like.

Put the Tour Green 85TX in the 3 wood and after one range session, I REALLY like it!  Tempted to try a Tour Green, 2KXV, or 15th Anny in a TM adapter to be a backup to my KK.

So I put the 15th anniversary NV (60TX) in a 917D2 head ( 12* turned down to 11.25*) that I'm playing as a 2W.  I previously had a Tour Green 65TS in this head.

It feels more stable than the Tour Green.  Same launch (low to mid) for both. I think the weight is similar (65g for the Tour Green vs 66 for the NV).  The NV feels like a Diamana White in the way it loads (or lack thereof).  I am playing an 'ahina 60X (ion) in a 9.5* TS4, and the shafts feel very close to each other.

One more thing, the NV is more anti-left than the Tour Green is.  I was able to step on the NV and turn it over,  but it doesn't feel like I'll lose it left.  The Tour Green is easier to hit a draw with.  

I like the Tour Green, and am very comfortable with it. But the NV will stay in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Edited by hagimihale

On 9/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, hagimihale said:

So I put the 15th anniversary NV (60TX) in a 917D2 head ( 12* turned down to 11.25*) that I'm playing as a 2W.  I previously had a Tour Green 65TS in this head.

It feels more stable than the Tour Green.  Same launch (low to mid) for both. I think the weight is similar (65g for the Tour Green vs 66 for the NV).  The NV feels like a Diamana White in the way it loads (or lack thereof).  I am playing an 'ahina 60X (ion) in a 9.5* TS4, and the shafts feel very close to each other.

One more thing, the NV is more anti-left than the Tour Green is.  I was able to step on the NV and turn it over,  but it doesn't feel like I'll lose it left.  The Tour Green is easier to hit a draw with.  

I like the Tour Green, and am very comfortable with it. But the NV will stay in the bag for the foreseeable future.

Great to hear - appreciate the follow-up! I am kind of leaning that way as a backup/gamer option for my driver and the shaft I'll put into my next head when I pull the trigger.  Even though I have been driving the ball well, I feel like my Kuro Kage is a little spinny and occasionally I feel it "lags" behind.   LOVE the anti-left, I am wanting to hit more flat spinning fades and I hate the worry of a hook.  I think the Tour Green in the 3W is great for feel and being able to do more with it - I want to go after the D more and like that aspect of the NV.

Might be time to pick one up!

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, hagimihale said:

So I sprung for the NV 15th Anny in the 70 TX in my new Cobra Speedzone.  When the Cobra's hit sales, it was too hard to pass on especially with the other drivers I was interested in being $500+.  Hit the NV in the Cobra yesterday on the range and loved it - like everything was pretty much a dead straight rocket.  Then I went to the course and it was a different story.  I was losing shots right and felt I really had to work to get the shaft to load up - sometimes to the point I swung too hard and out of control.  When I felt I hit a good one, it would take off in a mid, very penetrating flight, then get to the peak and fall quickly.  It was really windy, so once it would reach that peak height, it would just drift with the wind or fall out of the sky when it was into the wind.  It was weird because even on downwind shots I was where I would expect to be with no wind.

All in all I really like the NV profile, but am a touch worried that the TX is too much for on course swings 50+% of the time.  On the range when there are no consequences, maybe the best driver I have ever hit - but on the course I got tired of being in the right rough or OB right.  I may try and jump on something that is an X in the 2KXV. 

Does the Tour Green always have the weird sticky finish?  My 3 wood has that in it and I guess I am ok with it, but always shows hand prints and scrapes.  That's another option as I really like it's feel.

I had a similar experience, and though I like the 15th anniversary I went back to the Tour Green in the 917D2 head.   Felt that the Tour Green (65 TS) gave me better consistency on the course with 80% swings.  The NV (60TX) would leak right, suggesting I either needed to add more swing speed or a more aggressive transition.  And as you noted, its one thing to swing like that on the range once you've warmed up, vs on the course where a bad swing is severely penalized.

It also occurs to me that the issue could be the head you put that NV in.  As noted earlier, my 917 plays at 11.25* and is basically a 2W.  Default shape is a draw so I go after dogleg lefts with this club.  And with the Tour Green its as dependable as an old pair of jeans.

My actual driver is a 9.5* TS4.  Up until a few weeks ago I was using an 'ahina 60X in the TS4 (and happy with it).   This club favors a fade, and I set up for one, so I don't mind if I miss a bit right.  But several weeks ago I found an Aldila Xtorsion Green Mamba 60TX.  And it works beautifully when paired with the TS4, gives me higher launch with the same tight feel.  Take just a bit off and I get high fades.  Jump on it and I might turn it over a bit, but its mostly straight.  

I tried the 'ahina in the 917 but that combination did not work for me.  The 917 + Tour Green Works.  The TS4 + Green Mamba (or 'ahina) works.  The TS4 + Tour Green does not work - at least not as well as with the 'ahina or Green Mamba.  Go figure.

So you might want to check the swingweight of your Cobra Speedzone with that NV.  And check it again when you've swapped the NV out for something else that works.  And maybe try the NV in a different head.  You never know.

Finally, I have 2 Tour Greens (the one in my 917, plus a backup).  Neither has a sticky finish.  Nor does the Tour Blue 75S in my garage.  Did you leave your sticks in the car for a few days during the summer?  I wonder if prolonged exposure to heat might affect the finish...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've read through the whole thread and appreciate some good info on these shafts.

I'm wondering if someone can give a sense of comparison between the original NV green and the 15th anniversary NV green. Looking at the spec sheet, it looks like the 15th anny comes out to be slightly lower in torque w/ a bit higher kick pt.  I have an original NV 85X in a driver playing about 1 or 1.5" shorter than stock length. It has been a favorite club and 'old reliable' for me. I'm looking at trying the 15th anny in another head and think it could be great, but I'm a little worried that they will be quite different in terms of kick/feel. If anyone can chime in on the comparison between these two, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the replies!

I went ahead and sprung for a 2KXV 75x Green and had that plugged into a Cobra adapter and immediately it felt smoother and a little easier to get around on, just still not 100% in love.  I never took it to the course, but since it is set up I plan to take both shafts next time I play and tinker a bit.  I have also noticed the driver "feels" better with the heavier weight in the rear and the flight more consistent.

The other day on the range though I was messing with the 2KXV and the 15th Anny NV.  I ended up putting the 15th Anny in and turning down the loft to 8 degrees instead of the stock 9.  My angle of attack has always been a bit descending, which has made me a good iron player, but an inconsistent driver of the ball.  Thus I tend to launch low, but with high spin.  I have been playing with a 9 degree hoping to launch a bit higher, but keep spin down.  Well, the 8 degree seemed to make a HUGE difference.  I wasn't seeing a massive shift in launch and the ball seemed to sail more and not do the "drop out of the sky" it was doing at the 9 degree setting.  It held it's line better in flight and it was almost like a new club.  I am going to mess with that on course and see if that performs, as well as maybe trying that in the 2KXV if the 15th Anny gets that "boardy" on-course feel again.  I may also spring for a little extra weight in the clubhead like you mentioned.  With the 15th Anny it's SW is about D4, close to D3 with the 2KXV which is on the light side for me.  

leftymatt - As for the feel between the old NV and the 15th Anny, I have heard that they are similar profiles, but seem to be just better materials and different paint.  If you want a loading-up feel, it's probably not the shaft you'd want, but if you are used to the NV and it's feel, I think you'd probably like the 15th Anny in the same flex.

Edited by KBallStriker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KBallStriker said:

leftymatt - As for the feel between the old NV and the 15th Anny, I have heard that they are similar profiles, but seem to be just better materials and different paint.  If you want a loading-up feel, it's probably not the shaft you'd want, but if you are used to the NV and it's feel, I think you'd probably like the 15th Anny in the same flex.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to give it a whirl. I was able to land one relatively cheap on eBay. Now just deciding between 2 heads to fit it with