2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NOS 1962-1963 Wilson Staff Dynapower Turfrider

9 hours ago, Jiggered said:

It depends on how quickly you want to sell them.

With the current collector base in the UK (which has a much smaller pool than the US) I don't think they'll sell for £200.

My advice would be a £100 start and see where they go. Although in all honesty I don't think they'll sell quickly for that either but I understand that you want as good a price as possible for them. 

They're certainly a better set than many of the £200+ priced vintage sets you see on UK ebay, but they don't sell either!

Searching the ebay sold listings is always your best guide, although I've seen some stuff listed at high cost and apparently sold but then it appears again with the same seller!

I bought a set of 2 to PW in January for £50, not in as good condition as yours but perfectly playable and the price included a bag, some nice Walter Hagen "Haig Ultra" laminated woods and a few putters.

Pics below, I need to clean the ferrules up!  

image.png.423dc45496b3915914c100fad7439a39.png

image.png.85085f29207da3b14060ef3e101d5cdf.png

image.png.74f55b9cbe2d8a4081b07d322381cc30.png

I have those exact same woods that came with a set of 63-64 Haig Ultra irons.  The ones I posted in my last vintage round topic.   According to the 63-64 catalog those are very similar to the headliner model. 

88E7219E-A57F-49E0-8573-2954D31A658A.jpeg

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Thanks for your input Jiggered. I realise I may be a little optimistic at £200 but I do have the Best Offer settings in play so really its just a start point for negotiation. I have hit a little snag though, maybe you can help me. Last night I noticed that the irons are quite a bit shorter than my standard set, some as much as 1.5 inches. I think I may have a special order set made for a smaller gentleman. I don't think they have been cut down as they have the original grips. Could you have a look at yours please and see if they are also short. I think I am clutching at straws but am wondering if maybe they made clubs shorter back in 1962?  This is likely to make selling them a lot more difficult. Thanks

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 6:44 PM, jimcon147 said:

Thanks for your input Jiggered. I realise I may be a little optimistic at £200 but I do have the Best Offer settings in play so really its just a start point for negotiation. I have hit a little snag though, maybe you can help me. Last night I noticed that the irons are quite a bit shorter than my standard set, some as much as 1.5 inches. I think I may have a special order set made for a smaller gentleman. I don't think they have been cut down as they have the original grips. Could you have a look at yours please and see if they are also short. I think I am clutching at straws but am wondering if maybe they made clubs shorter back in 1962?  This is likely to make selling them a lot more difficult. Thanks

Vintage clubs are shorter than modern, primarily because of the fact that a modern 7 iron for instance, might be the same club as a vintage 5 or 4 iron in terms of loft and length!

I measure all the 5 iron lengths in my sets and the 5 iron in this set measures 37 3/8" (loft 32 degrees)

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

On 3/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I have those exact same woods that came with a set of 63-64 Haig Ultra irons.  The ones I posted in my last vintage round topic.   According to the 63-64 catalog those are very similar to the headliner model. 

88E7219E-A57F-49E0-8573-2954D31A658A.jpeg

Thanks, that's great info, pretty much the same but the insert colours are reversed.

20 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Vintage clubs are shorter than modern, primarily because of the fact that a modern 7 iron for instance, might be the same club as a vintage 5 or 4 iron in terms of loft and length!

I measure all the 5 iron lengths in my sets and the 5 iron in this set measures 37 3/8" (loft 32 degrees)

Thanks Jiggered, I still cant be sure though as it depends how you do your measuring. To be sure could I ask you to measure from the top of the grip down to the silver hosel, mine for this is 33 3/4".

Thanks

On 3/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, jimcon147 said:

...wondering if maybe they made clubs shorter back in 1962?...

The 1962 Staffs, as well as all classic Staffs, came in two lengths. The most common is 38 1/2 inches but they were also available in 39 inch model. That means that the 2 iron is 38 1/2 or 39 inches, and then each club after the 2 iron is 1/2 inch shorter. The 39 inch set was the standard length by the time I started playing in the early 80's, and the length my swing was honed on, so all my classic sets (and I have them all) are either the 39" version or I've extended them to 39" and counter-weighted them back to D3 or D2. It isn't a big deal to do, although it does mean losing the original grip.

Clubs are measured on a club ruler and many versions of them exist. I have this inexpensive one, https://www.ebay.com/itm/304398041568?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28, which is mounted to my bench and uses a standard 48" aluminum ruler, which I already had but is available at any home or hardware store. It works perfectly.

I can't hit modern lengths because of the thousands of swings I took with 1984 length (39"). On my AP2s and modern woods, I have a wrap of orange electrical tape at the top of the club to remind me to choke down because I can't control the dispersion if I swing at modern full length. Modern clubs are about an inch longer than the 39" length, so 1 1/2 inches longer than the standard 38 1/2 inch length of that time period seems about right.

I don't think selling standard length 1962 clubs is a problem at all. I prefer to find them in the long version, but 90% come in the standard length and I assume I'll be extending all my classic irons and feel fortunate when I don't have to. I would expect anyone looking to play 60s Staffs would know that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimcon147 said:

Thanks Jiggered, I still cant be sure though as it depends how you do your measuring. To be sure could I ask you to measure from the top of the grip down to the silver hosel, mine for this is 33 3/4".

Thanks

I won't be able to measure it for a few days but I just lay the club on a table with the head hanging over the edge, hook a tape measure over the butt and run it down to the heel, you can put a flat piece of wood along the sole which will give you the ground plane and measure at the intersection if you want to be super accurate, but +/- an eighth of an inch is close enough for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got a set of those Staffs for my 16th birthday in 1962 and still have them.  I played them until about 2000.  I was sure a better ball striker back then.  Talk about feedback!!  If you mishit a shot, your hands felt it for the next several holes.  Loved those clubs and often think of taking them out for a round.  Right now, playing a 2005 set of Wilson Staff Pi5 irons that are eerily similar to my old beloved classics.